How Many Mags on Hand???

My guess is in a home defense scenario, if your problem can't be solved with 5-10 shells, will more make THAT much of a difference?

Personally, I think you can never have enough mags on-hand for any system you own. Be it against goblins, tangos, jack-booted thugs, or assorted zombies, more is definitely better. :killer:

I have 1 5rndr w/ 00buck in gun(fits in safe better than an 8 or 10), and one, similarly loaded, 10rndr handy. You know, just in case there's more than one or two invaders and they don't learn from their buddies mistakes.

For SHtF, I have 6 AGP 10s, 5 Tai 5s and 2 Surefire 8s. It's a start and what I have the pouches for if I need to bug out.

Let me offer some food for thought: a group of at least six home invaders kick in the front door. One of them is shot by the homeowner who is armed with a handgun. The homeowner stops shooting? The remainder of the home invaders enter and attack persons inside the home. Would a five shot magazine have been sufficient? My choice: short AR with white light and EoTec loaded with 60 grain Hornady TAP. If you are ill prepared; you don't get a "redo".

Let me offer some food for thought: a group of at least six home invaders kick in the front door. One of them is shot by the homeowner who is armed with a handgun. The homeowner stops shooting? The remainder of the home invaders enter and attack persons inside the home. Would a five shot magazine have been sufficient? My choice: short AR with white light and EoTec loaded with 60 grain Hornady TAP. If you are ill prepared; you don't get a "redo".

I would choose my Saiga 7.62x39, but otherwise, I'm with you. Wasn't there a recent case of 7-8 persons being involved in a home invasion/slaying? And more often lately, thugs are carrying AKs and sporting soft body armor. I need to be at least as well armed as they are. A 40 rounder in the gun, and at least one other loaded mag handy (but almost certainly not needed).

I figure that 5 drums (2 each buck and slug, 1 mixed) and 10 10-rounders oughtta be a decent start for a trunk or bedside ready-rack... ideally, I'd like to have 10K per caliber for the Serious Social Irons in cases/cans/boxes and another 500-1K loaded up in mags, but then again I'm just one of those guys who'd rather have way more than he requires than vice-versa. Call me "paranoid" if you must...lol

NOTE: Currently nowhere near this level, but working on rectifying that situation.

• Like 1

Call me "paranoid" if you must.

The funny thing is that the people that laugh and call you "paranoid" now will be your new "Best Friends" when a situation arises. Remember, Everybody laughed at Noah. Keep doing your thang!

Edited by THE RIPPER
  • Like 2

Four is generally considered the tactical minimum, (one in the gun, 2 on your person and a spare) for long guns I would say 8-10. That way you can compensate if a magazine gets damaged or is defective. As for people who think you only need one, in the tactical world, one is none, and two is one. Also the more mags you have, the more you can switch between different loads, instantly, and that's one of the advantages of having a magazine fed shotgun.

And another thing, there is no such thing as excessive due to the fact that you can always stop shooting. In other words it IS possible to have too few mags ready to go, but it's a lot harder to have too many.

Another benefit of additional fire power is that it gives you the ability to issue cover fire, so that you can maneuver, and/or keep heads down.

Guys, these thugs are completely running amok, and unchecked, I hear of crimes so heinous, that decorum limits my ability to recount them here. So roll heavy, let those scumbags die, not you! and especially not me!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! Right now I have 5 x 10rd mags, 5 x 12rd, a MD20 and a 2rd and a 5rd I don't count...so that is about 130rds worth. I am thinking about buying some 8's next and maybe another 5 or two for three gun matches and another 2 for bird hunting. Wasn't sure if that was overkill.

Personally, for criminal/home invasion purposes, I'd keep a five round mag of 00 buck (I know this mag is reliable and it is easier to move around with due to size) and a .45 close by. Always good to have a revolver (reliable) or at least a back up weapon (in case of a shotgun jam). As far as the white light someone mentioned, I'd skip that as it gives them a target to shoot for. You know your home better in the dark than any outsider, use that to your advantage and don't give away your position (at least not until you fire).

And always keep a good watch dog, it may not detour criminals intent on coming in but it gives early warning and every second to prepare counts in that situation.

Remember, odds are you are not going to have time or sanity to change magazines while under close quarters fire especially in the dark so a large reliable mag would be better, this is where a short rifle is nice. If I had to use a rifle, I'd choose an AK, and not one ever touched by Century Arms...

That's my long answer, short answer: 1 mag, 1 dog, one back up weapon.

As far as mags for other reasons (zombies, commies, liberals - those last 2 seem redundant) you can never have enough. BTW, I in no way encourage shooting liberals, just buying lots of mags and ammo is enough to cause them to go into cardiac arrest ;)

Here's a home invasion(successful)where the perp's came back to kill the family for calling the Police. Perp's were wearing body armor and a shotty was the only thing that stopped them:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bre...y/1030076.html

Robber shot during home invasion

By BETH SHAYNE

WCNC

Posted: Saturday, Oct. 31, 2009

ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. -- When a team of robbers returned to a Rowan County home police say they'd robbed up earlier in the week, the homeowners were ready Friday.

One suspect is in the hospital after being shot by the couple's son. Two other people are in custody.

It happened on Corriher Grange Road near Highway 152.

The house was first held up Monday night. NewsChannel 36 spoke exclusively with the Deadmon family after the first home invasion. They told us how the robbers forced them to open the safe at gunpoint. They reported the robbery to police, and they believe that's why the suspects returned.

"He told my husband they had come back to kill," Sherry Deadmon said, speaking for her husband Randy, who has a disability that affects his speech.

It was Randy and his son John-Ross who were home Friday afternoon when two men arrived.

Randy explained how one of the robbers grabbed his son by the collar and lead him into the house. He said both men had guns.

There was a scuffle -- pushing, punching, and then shooting. The family had placed several shotguns around the house because of Monday's crime.

When police arrived at the home, they found one man shot in the garage. He was wearing black clothing, a black mask and a bulletproof vest.

John-Ross Deadmon told investigators he believed he had shot that man. He said a second man had run from the scene, while exchanging gunfire with him.

Police believe they arrested that second man in Kannapolis a short time later. They also arrested a woman, who was found in the vehicle investigators connected to the crime scene.

The wounded man was airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center where he is recovering. Names will be released after charges are filed against all three suspects.

The Deadmon's son, John-Ross, was taken to the hospital with some bruises and scrapes from the fighting. His pastor tells NewsChannel 36 he was shaken, but home Friday night, along with his parents, who are unharmed.

Edited by iSaiga
The funny thing is that the people that laugh and call you "paranoid" now will be your new "Best Friends" when a situation arises. Remember, Everybody laughed at Noah. Keep doing your thang!

"Best Friends"? I think not--the list of people I call friends is damn short, and if someone not on it expects me to cover their ass they better be ready to put useful skills on the table in return, just as I would expect to be subjected to the same requirement were I the wanderer looking for help.

One of the things I learned when I first started getting into guns is that you're not going to hurt the mag spring by leaving it loaded. With that in mind, every mag I have is kept loaded. After all, if it can't hurt, then why not?

With that in mind, I keep my Saiga with a 12-rounder (loaded with 13, with the bolt held back) full of buckshot, and another 12-rounder and a 5-rounded full of buckshot.

Am I ever going to need that much? No, but hell, I've got the ammo, why not have it in a useful configuration, rather than sitting in a box somewhere?

Edited by thealmightysam

"Best Friends"? I think not--the list of people I call friends is damn short, and if someone not on it expects me to cover their ass they better be ready to put useful skills on the table in return, just as I would expect to be subjected to the same requirement were I the wanderer looking for help.

I think that you misread my post.

I have the same attitude that you do.

Just expressed it in a different way.

Well I certainly don't like to give direct answers to questions like "where do you keep your ammo?" and such..... I will tell you that I do keep my S12 ready with a loaded 10 rounder and my Saiga .308 with a loaded 25 rounder just in case. I believe that keeping well hidden guns around the house is a good plan if you take home invasion as a serious threat. The forum has posted some topics on that with some great ideas. I might have a loaded gun in every room and I might not, hopefully the world will never know and I won't make the newspaper!