Not only do I have to build a rifle action that can handle 30x173 I have a very narrow window between enough pressure to make the break work and enough pressure to blow up the gun.

So....what are we talking about pressure wise here? The logistics of this are mind boggling to me

Ballpark of 60,000cup.

I'm designing the action to have no problems with a case failure.

When I'm done I could take a projo set it into the lands from the chamber than pour my powder in behind it and set it off, after locking the bolt closed of course.

All ammo in 30x173 is aluminum cased (some experimental is brass), I'll end up reloading it so a case failure is inevitable. The key is designing an action that doesn't rely on the case to stay safe.

Gas will escape around the interrupted threads of the breach, I just design the bolt with a slight overlap with the receiver and a channel that directs the gas away from me.

If done right, I won't notice a case failure tell I open the action after firing.

The Brits have a 30x170mm brass cased AFV round that is almost identical to our 30x173mm. Judging by the dimensions I should be able to "fire form" it to 30x173.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ahhh yes, deployment... on my first right now. cant wait to see this beast finished...

I plan on posting a step by step, documenting the entire process ending in a range vid with me behind it.

Well it's a good thing I ain't married or the wife would kill me.   After a little negotiating with the seller he is willing to ship the barrel to Cobra's Customs for a grand total of $1500:haha:  

Posted Images

any new updates on this awesome project?

Waiting for funds to free up.

I only made a couple thousand in taxable income due to my deployment.

Due to Bama tax credits. My $200 return is now a nearly $800 return.

I figure it would be great to use those funds to build this gun.

O and "the gun" now has a name, I call her...

Seras

After a Vampiric female character from the manga, anime and OVA "Hellsing" who makes use of a Harkonnen 30mm "Anti Midan Cannon."

1256131252053.jpg

The newer release of the OVA series of Hellsing (Much better, more violent, graphic and true to the Manga/comic) along with my current access to the materials and equipment I have really hellped inspire me to really kick the project off and start designing and building.

For those interested the Hellsing OVA can be found on youtube.

Hellsing features Protestant vs Catholic tensions while both forces battle vampires, ghouls, and other "living dead" building to a grand conflict against Vampiric Nazis. If your looking for gun play, violence, explosions, gore, blood and sex Hellsing delivers in spades.

• Like 1

Seras

After a Vampiric female character from the manga, anime and OVA "Hellsing" who makes use of a Harkonnen 30mm "Anti Midan Cannon."

If after you finish this 30mm rifle your next project is something lighter, like say a .454 Casull long-slide auto pistol, please be sure to build two, so you'll have one I can buy off you. :)

post-5877-12648332574589_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frogfoot
  • 7 months later...

Looks like another reason I like this site .......besides the bacon thread .

Still on my project list for a 50 bmg barrel a bro has .

We decided on a copy of an Pzb 39 falling breech ,It looks like a ez design to copy .

Found a couple of pics and a site with some other info.

http://www.ww2aircra...5-a-7069-2.html

pzb7qq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seras

If after you finish this 30mm rifle your next project is something lighter, like say a .454 Casull long-slide auto pistol, please be sure to build two, so you'll have one I can buy off you. :)

post-5877-12648332574589_thumb.jpg

454.... How about 50AE in a 1911.

nbrsih.jpg

I just need a longer slide. The one below is a 45 win mag 10" longslide, sort of a 454 Casual for autos.

1215_130_lar_longslide.jpg

Sorry on the 30 mike mike I have some patent paperwork I'm waiting on for that. Unless you guys just want more pics of the bare barrel.

Edited by KrisFox
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...

The Warthog was slated for the dustbin in the late 1980s' because the muckedy-mucks thought that it would be made obsolete from guided anti-tank rockets and the Apache helicopter. Im glad they realized better after the first gulf war. From what I understand, just one of the AP spent uranium rounds puncturing into a tank cockpit will easily shatter, ricochet around, and kill everyone inside, most of the time.

Edit: Apologies for an unintended hijack of the thread. I was commenting from the first page, before realizing the conversation had moved on.

Edited by paintwagon