I got factory threaded barrel on my Saiga 7.62

I read here when I am at work, each morning I have something new to go home and check on my Saigas. Now I just need to look and see the barrel on the 308 and see if it might have the threads as well, although I have not heard of anyone finding a threaded barrel on one. I love this site, keep this thread going guys!!!!!!

Edited by TBurnham
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine has everything that yours has but did not have the threaded barrel. It seems to be a crap shoot. I don't believe a certain criteria exists.

On mine (other recent "threaded barrel" post) I drilled out the dimples (no pins) on both sides of the FSB but also slit the bottom of the FSB. Clamped the old sight into the vise between two blocks o

well that shatters my dreams! i have a march of '09 build with the LHG notches, PG hole, dimples, but i'm not sure about the stepped casings since i have yet to run brass thru it.

Posted Images

I was reading some stuff over at Dinzag Arms about brakes. They suggest wrapping the muzzle threads in teflon tape in order to index the brake since it is unaffected by heat from normal firing.

Also, they mention that the length of the barrel in front of the site base on a Saiga is about an inch, whereas on other AKs it only extends 9/16ths past the front site tower. A normal 74 style brake has threads running between 5/8ths to 3/4" deep. Of course, Dinzag sells a brake that is threaded deeper to compensate. They are a little more expensive than the Tapco brakes at 35 bucks, but some people might prefer having the brake extend to the site tower. Pretty much a cosmetic thing I think. Unfortunately, they are out of the models with the offset gas ports.

I'll measure the useable thread depth of the TAPCO AK-74 brake when it arrives, and consider then how much of the muzzle sleeve comes off, or all of it. I also found the Dinzag brake not available, so will play with the cheap TAPCO to see what I really need/want.

Killshot44 - I started with a tubing cutter, as another poster was successful that way, but the steel was way too hard for that method. I carefull placed the FSB & GB in a vice and hand hacksawed about 3/16" off as a check. I used a 6" fine tooth blade on my 99 cent saw, and just went slow and careful. There is a "feel" when the saw cut through, because of the thread gap under the sleeve. You can look at the muzzle with the saw blade in the cut, and get an idea of how deep the cut is. If no threads on the barrel, it may not get the feeling of a gap.

Killshot.. Just remember all 4 items (at this point) are needed to be possible to have threads.

PG hole cut, NO case neck swelling (aka dents), Handguard 'notches', and 'dimples' and 09' MFG.

Then a prayer before you cut... I have a 12/16/08 model that has all these features and I'm still hesitent to cut as mine is not technically an 09' model...

Once I cut it off I don't have ANY resources to pull the FSB and put another one on ad do a 'threading' so I'll be left with a messed up front-end...010.gif

I think Dinzag rents the gear to thread your barrel yourself for about $30. There is also a tutorial on threading that has been stickied in the Conversion and Modification section of the forums.

Threading Tutorial

Of course, I also know someone who pulled off their front sight base and replaced their sites with tech-sites and a clamp-on sight that goes on his gas block. It actually looks pretty nice.

I also have all of the signs that I may have threads, but I have been holding off until I get the rest of my conversion done and I'm ready to tackle the muzzle. I had originally thought to pull the FSB and replace it with a 74 style tower on which I would mount a Krebs copy of a 74 brake for 7.62. Having threads there would be a pleasant surprise. Now, I think I'll just pull off part of the barrel sleeve before I order any parts.(Although, Krebs does sell an adapter that allows you to use their brake on a 14/1 barrel.)

Edited by Jigen

Just a point to ponder: Saiga Sporter shotguns are either choke threaded (counting 14 import parts), or not choke threaded (counting 13 import parts). Saiga Sporter rifles are listed as 14 imported parts, assuming there are no threads cut on the barrel. The threaded (as mine is) have a sleeve covering the threads, so still equals 14 or 15 parts? I have to assume (dangerous word) being threaded and exposed, my Saiga actually has 15 imported parts. I could inadvertantly be out of compliance, through no action on my part. Easy to correct, but does raise the "count" question. YWHIC - just trim off the smallest edge of the sleeve, just to check - won't be damaging

Threads exposed fully. Threaded for 5/8", taper & full barrel for 3/8" to FSB. The TAPCO AK-74 brake copy screws on fairly snug, bottoms out at taper 1/2 turn beyond index. I'll try using Teflon tape to further tighten the threads for holding index. I did not anticipate only 5/8" of threads - need to be extra careful if sawing off sleeve on solid barrel. Two pics (I hope).2h3ou42.jpg

2n50eu.jpg

YWHIC - Yes, threads are 14x1 LH; TAPCO AK-74 brake copy threaded on smoothly and secure. I threaded the Brake all the way to last turn that would index, then measured the gap, cut off and filed to fit, a piece of the sleeve cutoff. Drove it gently back on the barrel (polished and repainted), will Teflon tape and screw the brake on tomorrow. I hesitate to tell someone else to cut off at any particular location - ?? The idea of cutting just right to have the brake index is unlikely. Obviously, the idea of a Saiga Sporter with a brake was not anticipated. Even if mine had an index pin, it wouldn't even reach the brake.

Even though the threads don't go all the way down it'd be very easy to extend them. Dinzag rents out the die for it. Its very hard and annoying to get the threads started.

Not a huge +1 for those who will still cut a tad of the barrel off so a FH can use an detent pin but still a +1

Anyone know if any of the 5.45's are coming like this?

The taper and wider barrel beyond concern me. Would a die like the one available from Dinzag be capable of extending the threads into that section, or would it be stopped by the taper?

That's the normal thickness of the barrel. The die has to cut into that to start threads. If you don't have any threads at all, which I didn't, you have to just give the perfect amount of downward pressure to get the die to start cutting into that width.

With these threads you don't have to worry about it. You also don't have to worry about a thread alignment tool(extra to rent). The existing threads will guide the die down as well as provide the downward pressure. You just have to worry about turning slow and firm and turning back every 1/4 turn or so.

I hacked off my entire FSB. The width of the barrel from the tip of the barrel all the way through the part that the FSB covers is the same OD.

orl28n.jpg

You can see the unfinished part where the FSB was. Where the threads ended and have a little black finish before the unfinished part is how all of it looked.

You can also see how the die cut away the thickness of the barrel.

And also how I F'ed up the first 1/8" of threads :) It's "interesting" trying to get that perfect amount of downward pressure.

Edited by jamesavery22

They suggest wrapping the muzzle threads in teflon tape in order to index the brake since it is unaffected by heat from normal firing.

If you plan to use teflon tape on your threads, make sure you wrap it in the reverse direction to which you attach the muzzle device. If it is installed wrong, it can bunch up during removal and make removal almost impossible. Done properly before the process of threading, if the end of the tape slips and bunches, it can be easily undone still. also make sure its a high temp tape.

Hey I don't have dimples. But..... I've GOT THREADS!!! F&C* YEAH!!!!! Rifle was an 09. Don't recall the month. If you look at the barrel end you can see the beginning of the threads. I was disappointed when I got an 09 rifle without dimples. But now I'm stoked because I've got threads.

Did you cut the shroud back, or are you just looking under it?

Hey I don't have dimples. But..... I've GOT THREADS!!! F&C* YEAH!!!!!...

There's no need to censor yourself on this forum. If you mean "FUCK YEAH", then type "FUCK YEAH!!!!!" :D

I'm glad to hear you have a threaded barrel. :up: Does your rifle "step" cartidge casings?

You know I just assumed that it would step the cartridges so I never bothered to police my brass/steel cases.

One interesting feature that I noted on this barrel was that the 8 to 4 chamfer was already cut on the breach face of the chamber.

I thought that was odd and a feature that I generally saw in standard AKMs and not in any Saiga I had handled before.

So now that I have spotted the threads I will check the brass next time I shoot it.

Hey I don't have dimples. But..... I've GOT THREADS!!! F&C* YEAH!!!!! Rifle was an 09. Don't recall the month. If you look at the barrel end you can see the beginning of the threads. I was disappointed when I got an 09 rifle without dimples. But now I'm stoked because I've got threads.

Did you cut the shroud back, or are you just looking under it?

Just looking under it. But it is clear that you can see the thread starting at one point around the circumference, getting deeper, and eventually disappearing as it wraps around the barrel circumference.

Did earlier Saiga's have an 8-to-4 chamfer on the chamber face? This one does and I wonder if it is the easiest tell-tale sign of likelihood of threads. That 8-4 chamfer is something I've seen on a lot of AKMs.

bummed!! 09 with dimples, HG relief groves in barrel and i can't see any threads. Heck i stared at the barrel end until i was cross eyed hoping for them to appear. There did seem to be a ever so small gap but alot of gunk (for lack of a bette term) so i cleaned as well as i could and nada. well I guess I will be contacting Dinzag when i am ready to thread the end.

Leadslinger,

If you look at the inside of your receiver, do you see that the barrel opening has had a small recess ground down that looks kind of like a little feed ramp into the barrel? Mine has that and I didn't have it on my first Saiga which isn't threaded. Also I remember looking at Saiga's from the conversion tutorials and they didn't have the mini grind feed ramp opening either. YOu can see this in the pictures of the steps that illustrate bullet guie installation. If you have that little mini grind feed ramp opening I'd be suspicious tha tyou might hav e threads.

Leadslinger,

If you look at the inside of your receiver, do you see that the barrel opening has had a small recess ground down that looks kind of like a little feed ramp into the barrel? Mine has that and I didn't have it on my first Saiga which isn't threaded. Also I remember looking at Saiga's from the conversion tutorials and they didn't have the mini grind feed ramp opening either. YOu can see this in the pictures of the steps that illustrate bullet guie installation. If you have that little mini grind feed ramp opening I'd be suspicious tha tyou might hav e threads.

You Rock!!!! I noticed that the other night when i was installing the bullet guide and thought it was a little odd. I had planned to post a question inquiring about that recess. I went to the range and sighted the beast in at 100 yds. Noticed the cases were dinged as well. I was just about to lament my woes but you My Good Sir Have renewed my hopes for threads.

You know i was cleaning the rifle and thinking to myself these siagas (S12 and 7.62) are just super fun weapons, easy to tinker with, easy to shoot and clean just like my Glock 10mm. Gotta love em.

Edited by leadslinger

Leadslinger,

You Rock!!!! I noticed that the other night when i was installing the bullet guide and thought it was a little odd. I had planned to post a question inquiring about that recess. I went to the range and sighted the beast in at 100 yds. Noticed the cases were dinged as well. I was just about to lament my woes but you My Good Sir Have renewed my hopes for threads.

You know i was cleaning the rifle and thinking to myself these siagas (S12 and 7.62) are just super fun weapons, easy to tinker with, easy to shoot and clean just like my Glock 10mm. Gotta love em.

So your spent cases have no neck step on them? Just the ak kiss on the side of bullet case and not the big double shoulder ring around the neck?

If that's the case, then it is looking up. No guarantees of course, but it would seem likely that th efeed ramp is a feature of their AKM barrels.