I got factory threaded barrel on my Saiga 7.62

My Saiga met all the requirements and sure enough, a bit of work with a pipe cutter and I exposed threads underneath. Installed a J-Tac 47 brake on there with a crush washer.

I made sure to measure the depth of thread on the brake before setting the pipe cutter, though. If I had cut as far back as possible, I would have bottomed the thread of the compensator before getting to the crush washer.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine has everything that yours has but did not have the threaded barrel. It seems to be a crap shoot. I don't believe a certain criteria exists.

On mine (other recent "threaded barrel" post) I drilled out the dimples (no pins) on both sides of the FSB but also slit the bottom of the FSB. Clamped the old sight into the vise between two blocks o

well that shatters my dreams! i have a march of '09 build with the LHG notches, PG hole, dimples, but i'm not sure about the stepped casings since i have yet to run brass thru it.

Posted Images

I have an 09 as well. About to order a Slant Brake this week for it. By end of barrell, it looks threaded as it has a clear space between sleeve and is not tapered to the very edge like the supposed non threaded ones.

Good eye.

• 4 months later...

I just found this thread. Great info!

I just bought and converted my first Saiga, purchased a few weeks ago from Bud's. It's an H09 serial number (7.62), has dimples & hg slots, a beveled/rounded external circumference on the chamber-side of the barrel, but most importantly, it sure looks like you can see threads in the gap between the shroud and the barrel! Cool!

So is there any consensus on the 'best' way to trim off the shroud? Pipe cutters, dremels, and fine-tooth hacksaws seem to be the methods I've seen posted.

Edited by pfbz

Looks like a nice part.

When the barrel shroud is cut off with a pipe cutter to expose the barrel, a length of the shroud normally remains in front of the sight block. (see pic with pipe cutter in it). This adapter covers that portion of the barrel shroud and provides a standard 24mm X 1.5 thread to fit many modern muzzle devices.

SAIGA+ADAPTER+3-1.jpg

saiga+adapter+4-1.jpg

OK.... entering this really old thread. I will be looking at/for threads too pretty soon....but my rilfe is a 5.45.

How are you guys getting so precise on buld dates? I have an H09XXXX, etc serial number.....meaning 2009 production. But how do you get month or even day? My "green" book I got shows an April,2011 ( ! ) date.....apparently the date the gun was "proofed" at a gov't proof house. Has nothing to do with build date.

How'd you do it ?..........

If you don't see threads, you don't have a threads. My 7.62x39 had the dates and all the other indicators, but no threads. Don't circumcise the rifle unless you're looking to thread it if no threads are there.

Again.....how are people determining the *precise* build-date?....are you sure it isn't the final inspection or "proof" date stamped inside one of the 2 green books you get with the rifle?....See my post #193 above.

Again.....how are people determining the *precise* build-date?....are you sure it isn't the final inspection or "proof" date stamped inside one of the 2 green books you get with the rifle?....See my post #193 above.

No 5.45 or 223 have been found with threads.

Why are you quoting me.....yet are answering a completely different part of the question ?

???????

OK.... entering this really old thread. I will be looking at/for threads too pretty soon....but my rilfe is a 5.45.

How are you guys getting so precise on buld dates? I have an H09XXXX, etc serial number.....meaning 2009 production. But how do you get month or even day? My "green" book I got shows an April,2011 ( ! ) date.....apparently the date the gun was "proofed" at a gov't proof house. Has nothing to do with build date.

How'd you do it ?..........

Because of this post you made DA. Your rifle is a 5.45 and none have been reported as having threaded barrels.

[

Edited by Jetmech

Ahh.... DA?.....nice......

I'm asking about BUILD DATES......that so many have posted about here.....HOW DO YOU KNOW BUILD DATES?......

So I say again...... how does your answer about whether or not 5.45 guns have THREADS.....has *anything* to do with the related topic of BUILD-DATES that many bring up on THIS thread ????

?????..... DA indeed. Why can't people just get along?.....or be able to simply understand questions.? Too much coffee to get real aggressive?

Edited by IPSC45

Ahh.... DA?.....nice......

I'm asking about BUILD DATES......that so many have posted about here.....HOW DO YOU KNOW BUILD DATES?......

So I say again...... how does your answer about whether or not 5.45 guns have THREADS.....has *anything* to do with the related topic of BUILD-DATES that many bring up on THIS thread ????

?????..... DA indeed. Why can't people just get along?.....or be able to simply understand questions.? Too much coffee to get real aggressive?

DA...you mentioned your weapon is a 5.45 = NO THREADS regardless of build date!!!!

The build date is both on the box label and also in the manual pamphlet that came with the weapon.

Edited by Jetmech

Notice that I NEVER ASKED ABOUT THREADS..... DID I?

What's that got to do with the price of strawberries? ( .....DA back at ya !!!!.....aggressive pup,aren't ya ?....what the h%ll set you off ???).

I was asking about build dates ( month/day/year)....did you even READ what I said about the manuals I got with the gun?....of course not.

Many guys are saying day/month/year of their build dates. My serial number is H09XXXX, etc....that makes it 2009 (year). That's as far as it goes. My manual shows an April, 29, 2011 proof or quality acceptance stamp on the book....this is NOT the build date. Box has NO build date on it.

I never ASKED if 5.45 have/not have threads outside my opening statement. Having threads wasn't a question I put out there.

Some people....

Anybody else?.....looking for a civil exhange.

Edited by IPSC45

Notice that I NEVER ASKED ABOUT THREADS..... DID I?

What's that got to do with the price of strawberries? ( .....DA back at ya !!!!.....aggressive pup,aren't ya ?....what the h%ll set you off ???).

I was asking about build dates ( month/day/year)....did you even READ what I said about the manuals I got with the gun?....of course not.

Many guys are saying day/month/year of their build dates. My serial number is H09XXXX, etc....that makes it 2009 (year). That's as far as it goes. My manual shows an April, 29, 2011 proof or quality acceptance stamp on the book....this is NOT the build date. Box has NO build date on it.

I never ASKED if 5.45 have/not have threads outside my opening statement. Having threads wasn't a question I put out there.

Some people....

Anybody else?.....looking for a civil exhange.

Why the hell are you even worried about a precise build date Analboy?

Hell.....you want everyone's name & time stamp who built and installed each part?

What frickng difference does it make? Shoot the damn gun and enjoy it.

• Like 1

I wonder if you speak to someone this way the first time you meet them face-to-face?.....or are you so beligerant and brave with your words, only when you can hide behind a keyboard?

There are many guys here ( if you care to read the whole thread)....that are mentioning build dates. I have as much right as anyone asking details about how to deternine this...as anyone.

The *reason* I ask about build dates is NONE of your concern.......I have no need to explain myself to you. Maybe I am a serious student of firearms history and design....did you ever think about that possibility? No,of course not....it doesn't *fit* your idea of what guys *should* do.

"DA"?....."Analboy"?.....it must be a difficult life without any friends, eh?

I wonder if you speak to someone this way the first time you meet them face-to-face?.....or are you so beligerant and brave with your words, only when you can hide behind a keyboard?

There are many guys here ( if you care to read the whole thread)....that are mentioning build dates. I have as much right as anyone asking details about how to deternine this...as anyone.

The *reason* I ask about build dates is NONE of your concern.......I have no need to explain myself to you. Maybe I am a serious student of firearms history and design....did you ever think about that possibility? No,of course not....it doesn't *fit* your idea of what guys *should* do.

"DA"?....."Analboy"?.....it must be a difficult life without any friends, eh?

Nobody on this forum knows the build date. The acceptance date is what everyone is using referencing build dates.

Got it?

Edited by Jetmech

So you speak for everyone else now....is that it?

As I said.....gun shows '09 build year (via H09XXXX serial number)..and a 2011 acceptance stamp in the book. With this big a gap, ....as it seems sometmes happens....it doesn't make sense...even though I know what you're saying.

Peace.....

So you speak for everyone else now....is that it?

As I said.....gun shows '09 build year (via H09XXXX serial number)..and a 2011 acceptance stamp in the book. With this big a gap, ....as it seems sometmes happens....it doesn't make sense...even though I know what you're saying.

Peace.....

No I don't speak for everyone, I speak from experience.

I have restored over 15 Saiga's, currently own 2 S12's, two 223's, two 7.62's, and a 5.45 along with other AK brands.

I've been exposed to some of the finest Saiga builders out there, and they willing share their knowledge with me.

Why don't you start a separate build date topic and get off the threaded barrel thread?

Peace.

All i was looking for is an answer to a build-date question....that SO MANY here ( on this thread) have commented-on. It was a proper place to ask the question, seeing all those that responded.

I didn't expect this mountain-out-of-a-molehill response. Your background credentials are seemingly impressive.....but you can come out of the gate with less "swinging" as part of your first response...

Sure....I could have started another thread....but the answers were already here, based on what was said by so many. Besides..not many of these threads keep on-topic without some side-trips anyway...and no one seems to care.

Edited by IPSC45

All i was looking for is an answer to a build-date question....that SO MANY here ( on this thread) have commented-on. It was a proper place to ask the question, seeing all those that responded.

I didn't expect this mountain-out-of-a-molehill response. Your background credentials are seemingly impressive.....but you can come out of the gate with less "swinging" as part of your first response...

Sure....I could have started another thread....but the answers were already here, based on what was said by so many. Besides..not many of these threads keep on-topic without some side-trips anyway...and no one seems to care.

Whatever!!!!!!

You have your answer.......no precise build date available to the consumer. Contact the builder.

Still in anger-management mode I see....all bold typeface....and for what reason?....jeese....

Yeah...I'm done...thanks for ALL your help and kind guidance.....much appreciated bad_smile.gif

Edited by IPSC45

Still in anger-management mode I see....all bold typeface....and for what reason?....jeese....

Yeah...I'm done...thanks for ALL your help and kind guidance.....much appreciated bad_smile.gif

What's your reason for wanting a "precise" build date?haha.gif haha.gif