I got factory threaded barrel on my Saiga 7.62

If it is any help, my threaded Saiga also has the factory "mini-ramp" from 4-8 o'clock on the chamber opening. I have 5 for 5 of the interesting barrel, dimples & PG hole items. Question: how the barrel HG grooves affect any kind of HG mounting, other than stock Saiga, which doesn't use them? My neighbor's WASR has them, but I don't see any connection with the HG. And yes, these are a fun weapon to modify - lots of useful items to play with, and you don't have to be an expert with a ton of specialty tools to accomplish good results.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine has everything that yours has but did not have the threaded barrel. It seems to be a crap shoot. I don't believe a certain criteria exists.

On mine (other recent "threaded barrel" post) I drilled out the dimples (no pins) on both sides of the FSB but also slit the bottom of the FSB. Clamped the old sight into the vise between two blocks o

well that shatters my dreams! i have a march of '09 build with the LHG notches, PG hole, dimples, but i'm not sure about the stepped casings since i have yet to run brass thru it.

Posted Images

So your spent cases have no neck step on them? Just the ak kiss on the side of bullet case and not the big double shoulder ring around the neck?

If that's the case, then it is looking up. No guarantees of course, but it would seem likely that th efeed ramp is a feature of their AKM barrels.

I am doing the happy dance. :super: I don't have a case in front of me but from what i remember just the kiss on the side. The cases looked in good shape other wise. Yep just viewed the case swelling thread and my cases had nothing like that. :smoke:

Edited by leadslinger

If it is any help, my threaded Saiga also has the factory "mini-ramp" from 4-8 o'clock on the chamber opening. I have 5 for 5 of the interesting barrel, dimples & PG hole items. Question: how the barrel HG grooves affect any kind of HG mounting, other than stock Saiga, which doesn't use them? My neighbor's WASR has them, but I don't see any connection with the HG. And yes, these are a fun weapon to modify - lots of useful items to play with, and you don't have to be an expert with a ton of specialty tools to accomplish good results.

Almost all handguard retainers have tabs on their inner diameter which align with these notches. The only handguard retainers I am aware which don't do this are Yugo retainers. I've inspected Romanian, Bulgarian, and Hungarian AMD 65 retainers and they all have ears which fit perfectly into those notches.

So your spent cases have no neck step on them? Just the ak kiss on the side of bullet case and not the big double shoulder ring around the neck?

If that's the case, then it is looking up. No guarantees of course, but it would seem likely that th efeed ramp is a feature of their AKM barrels.

I am doing the happy dance. :super: I don't have a case in front of me but from what i remember just the kiss on the side. The cases looked in good shape other wise. Yep just viewed the case swelling thread and my cases had nothing like that. :smoke:

Well I wish you good luck. NOthing is for sure. But I could definitely see the begining o f my threads by looking at the business end. I even showed my wife and she noticed it.

Huh. After reading this thread, I decided to peer into the business end of mine (it's an '09 with retainer notches), and it appears that, under the sleeve, mine is threaded as well. I can clearly see the start of a thread that disappears as it travels around the muzzle. I guess I need to get out the tubing cutter and proceed...

Edited by TR Young

Can someone post a pic of theres to compare to mine??? Like to see if it matches mine.

Not sure what you are looking for pictures of... do you mean the whole rifle, or the various places to look for the tell-tale signs of possibly having a threaded barrel?

TR Young - I started cutting a test length off of the sleeve with a standard tubing cutter - no go - steel as hard or harder than the tubing cutter. Also, you are limited how close you can cut near the FSB because of the tubing cutter shape. I wound up using a mini hack saw, which worked well - just have to be careful at the bottoming out of the cut. Note the extent of the threads on mine (earlier post photo) - do not extend all the way to the FSB - 5/8" from the muzzle.

Just a pic of the muzzle end where YOU see the threads...

I put mine up earlier in this thread and nobody commented to agree/disagree.

I just went back and found yours... no offense, but probably nobody commented because they are pretty blurry. Even with decent pictures, it's hard to tell. Here is a picture I just took, but honestly, I don't think you will be able to see it. I have drawn in a red arrow where the threading starts, and it continues counter-clockwise and disappears.

threading.jpg

Edited by TR Young

Well, I decided to take all the guessing out of mine...

She's threaded. :super:

DSC05182.jpg

DSC05183.jpg

I couldn't have found out at a better time, either; I have just been shopping for a brake and the tapping equipment to thread the barrel. There is $65 that I don't have to spend now!

Now, I just have to get rid of the shmootz that was used at the factory to hold the shroud and FSB in place. Also, the other thing that I am slightly annoyed about is that my tubing cutter created a bit of a crown on the shroud. I know that when I screw on the brake, there will be a gap that I will have to figure out how to close.

ETA: Dremel+brass wire wheel = deshmootz! :up:

DSC05185.jpg

Edited by TR Young

neon - my carbine, and I assume your's, is a 14x1 Left Hand thread. Some model rifles have 24x1.5 Right Hand threads. Most suppliers note the thread of their product, some don't. I am assuming that the factory threads count as a foreign part, as with the Saiga 12's, so I stayed with a USA muzzle brake. If that is not correct, please note a correction. Now I have to wonder if I am over the 10 allowable foreign parts - maybe need a USA gas piston? Naliath - are you out there?

neon - my carbine, and I assume your's, is a 14x1 Left Hand thread. Some model rifles have 24x1.5 Right Hand threads...

Afaik, the only Saiga 7.62 rifles that have 24x1.5mm RH threads are SGL20s and SGL21s. These threads have a larger diameter than the barrel, so they're part of the FSB, extending out to the end of the barrel.

The threads that some have been lucky enough to find on their RAAC Saiga rifles, (under the barrel shroud), are the smaller 14x1mm LH variety, (threading on the barrel itself, unattached to the "sporter" FSB). This is the AKM style of threads, (as opposed to the AK-74/AK-100 style, the 24x1.5).

There is a greater variety of brakes/flash hiders on the market for these older AKM-type threads, so it's only less advantageous to have these if you want to go with a properly-made, (the cheap Tapcos are not), AK-74 type muzzle brake. Even then, they make thread adapters that take your 14x1mm LH threads up to 24x1.5mm RH threads that allow the use of proper 74-type brakes.

So, if you're lucky enough to have one of these "sporter" Saigas that has an AKM barrel, you have a lot of muzzle device options.

• 4 months later...

My 7.62 has all of the characteristics of threaded barrel. Made in 11/09, notched barrel, PG hole (also flat trunnion) The number on FSB is 28-1. I could not see any threads with my magnifying glass I had bought a Doctor's ear and nose scope with a pin light in it to look down barrel so I used it and could concentrate the magnification to a small point with light and there they are, Threads I can just see where the thread starts and curls under shroud. The scope was cheap at CVS pharmacy about $15.00 and works very good for checking out the barrel bore.

• 3 weeks later...

well mine had all characteristics and wasn't threaded. I have since done so using dinzag rental. pretty easy. Now the .223 my son in law gave me looks like it may be threaded. I haven't looked at anything else but end of the muzzle. My 7.62 muzzle end was slightly flatter and outer edges of the barrel were not rounded. Kind of hard to explain. The .223 on the other hand has a larger gap between the barrel and shroud and outer edges of barrel look rounded. I am going to wait for a while before i take that shroud off. The discipline will do me good. Besides i just quit smoking after 40 years and its only been 3 days smoke free my patience quot ion is low. I will wait until I am calmer.

mine was a 3/09 and came with threaded barrel under shroud,dimpled reciever,pistol grip hole cut out,and my barrel looks like the above photos in the handguard area.if you look closely,you can see threads under barrel shroud at muzzle point.

Has anyone found a 223 or caliber other than the x39 with the threaded barrel?

Izhmash makes no 5.56 weapon which is threaded for 14mm, the closest is the ak101, and thats 24mm. Its certainly possible ak101 barrels get on saiga .223 but they arnt going to have threads on the barrel, since even an ak101 doesnt have em. The izhmash web sight saiga models for .223 also dont have and muzzle devices. There simply isent another ak/saiga production line they can rip barrels off of. For the .223 and 5.45 im wondering if anyone out there has barrels for ak101 or 103 with the hand guard retaining cuts.

Side note I just kind of realized. When I was in Iraq the Ugandans had switched from older m4's to ak101's with the flash hider. Probably the largest reason I came home and bought a saiga .223. I so wanted their brand new ak's. My m4 was all scaped up and sad. The freaken m1117 kept trying to eat my m4.

Finally got around to do a full conversion today. Cut the shroud all the way back to the FSB and...THREADS!!..So, I guess I had all mil-spec features...Dimples, PG hole cut, barrel notches, no stepped barrel, and threads. Its a March 09. 7.62x39.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my Phantom FH to go all the way up to the FSB. The threads stop about 5/8' from the end of the barrel, and the last 1/2 inch or so toward the FSB are not threaded.

Would it be OK to just grind down the outside of the barrel there a bit on the unthreaded area so the extra-deep Phantom Flash hider will screw all the way on up to the FSB, or would that weaken the barrel? I have the deep FH with lots of extra threads inside it...

Pic attached.gallery_22253_427_34997.jpg

EDIT: Dinzag has offered to bore out the back of my new Phantom Flash Hider for me so it will snug up to the FSB. He Rocks!!

Edited by icefire

how do you tell if your barrel is stepped?

check the photos on page 3 of this thread. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7303&st=0

welcome to the forums too.

i got a 2006 saiga 7.62 with dimple,steps i dont know about dent casiungs. and lastly it also have pins uner the fsp. so is it threaded?

From all I have read on this, I would think you do not. I have only read about late 2008 and early 2009 models with threading.

how do you tell if your barrel is stepped?

check the photos on page 3 of this thread. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7303&st=0

welcome to the forums too.

i got a 2006 saiga 7.62 with dimple,steps i dont know about dent casiungs. and lastly it also have pins uner the fsp. so is it threaded?

From all I have read on this, I would think you do not. I have only read about late 2008 and early 2009 models with threading.

Agree with Greg here. February and March 2009 seemed to be a good period for threaded barrels. I got one. Rifle had chamber step and no dimples but still had threads.

Although in 2006 there was a very rare batch that had the extra "Y" stamp. They were contract overruns for an order meant for Venezuela. Now that was a sweet time to buy. However, as they were for Venezuela they had no threading because Venezuela was ordering an AK-103 variant with 24 mm FSB. I wonder who had been ordering AKM variants that allowed 2009 to be a lucky year for threads.