Is that a chiwawa in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? What a crock! The guy was protected by the law, although I personally find it to be in bad taste to carry that particular firearm while hiking. I would go with my .44 revolver in bear country, or 1911 in coyote/bad people country. It's harder to navigate hiking terrain with a larger fire arm IMO. Freakin' media doesn't have to fact check anything any more. Must be nice to be wrong all the time and still have a cushy, high paying job.

• Like 4

Let's just make the laws more apparent it is qualified as a pistol?...his permit was valid? so there it was not illegal what society deems acceptable is what is at play here...granted a pistol on a sling looks confusing to some...I think that this guy knew the attention he would get from bystanders who may fear such a scene...but the law is simple enough...I would like to see a pic of the guy walking in the parks with his kids and that particular pistol...lol lotsa gray area in both stories.

Isn't it funny how when you are actually breaking a law technically even though common sense should prevail people will shout "The law is the law, book him!". But when you are not breaking the law "technically" people will shout "It doesn't matter if it's legal, common sense should prevail here!" Well, I say the law is the law. If you don't like it, too bad. Change the law if you can or get used to it.

• Like 1

Is that a chiwawa in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? What a crock! The guy was protected by the law, although I personally find it to be in bad taste to carry that particular firearm while hiking. I would go with my .44 revolver in bear country, or 1911 in coyote/bad people country. It's harder to navigate hiking terrain with a larger fire arm IMO. Freakin' media doesn't have to fact check anything any more. Must be nice to be wrong all the time and still have a cushy, high paying job.

He says "The AK47 is the weapon of choice for America's enemies, giving you some idea as to their firepower" :lolol: And then the "News chick" says "Well they certainly do look frightening". Yes, maybe you should have shielded your eyes and warned viewers that this story may contain frightening images.:rolleyes:

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

I have no sympathy for him. There's a difference between exercising your rights, being an activist, and being as asshole protected by a legal loophole. Yes, loophole. Come on now. I know the ATF considers Draco a pistol but get real, it is basically an SBR manufactured in a way that conforms to the stupid NFA. If we didn't have the NFA that thing would just come from the factory with a folding stock on it. Is anyone seriously surprised that the evening news would call a draco a sawed off ak-47?

• Like 3

The guy was exercising his rights.... period. The weapon is classified as a pistol and pistols are allowed there. I'll bet that if those same scared ignorant people were about to be attacked by a bear and the guy with the Draco shot the bear, they would thionk it was a blessing that he had some real firepower on him in the park.

+1 for WTF

• Like 3

Im sorry I just cant watch more than 2 min of that bullshit. For fucks sake this dickhead new exactly the reaction he would get. To be honest I wouldnt be surprised if he is some gun hating asshole just trying to make a point. The people in this video are morons, but this guy is a prick and is the kind of person who makes ALL OUR RIGHTS harder to keep.

Im as pro gun as they get, but fuck this guy. If he was truly wanting to "exercise his right" he needs to learn some common sense, and not to mention respect for the rest of us. This is the kind of douche bag that makes us all look like nut jobs.

GRRRRRRRRRRR rant over, this whole video pisses me off, the retards reporting on it and the dick bag egging on the anti gunners. He got what he wanted.

• Like 4

Didnt watch the video but figure its the same TN guy thats been trying to stir up people for some time now with his pushing of the boundaries in rather provocative ways.

Last I heard he was filing a lawsuit after being detained briefly.

He has rights like everyone else but folks like this dont really help our cause IMo

Harv

• Like 3

If assholes, jerks and idiots can't excersise their rights according to the law then neither can you or me. To me the problem here is not this guy or this gun. Its the culture of fear of guns that we keep nurturing by keeping them hidden so when someone merely sees one they freak out. If the law the way it is written is so bad then it will eventually be changed, and if its not it won't.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

I have no sympathy for him. There's a difference between exercising your rights, being an activist, and being as asshole protected by a legal loophole. Yes, loophole.

Are you running for mayor when Bloomberg is out :lolol:

I couldn't be any farther from Bloomberg :haha:

All I'm saying is, how can anyone be surprised at the reaction he got...military fatigues and the kind of gun the press are just dying to make a story about. This guy isn't trying to be an activist, he is just trying to be an asshole. He has a well-enough known blog, and there's plenty of forums out there, that if he wanted to test the law and show people good stuff about open carry, public safety and 2A, he could have had an open carry BBQ, get together, hang out, beer session, whatever, on a nice day in the park, instead of dress in fatigues and tote a draco around.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov
  • Like 3

America is advanced citizenship.

Liberal shit bags have to be just as accepting of his right to carry a pistol as I have to be of their right to whine an bitch about it.

I contacted the news station and asked them to correct their story. If you want to do the same here is the web site

http://www.wsmv.com/contact/index.html

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 5

I'm totally with DogMan and Boba. From my standpoint, the guy did nothing wrong. It's discouraging to think of how many people are afraid of seeing a gun. He was just walking in a park with a gun, and I think it's fucked up that they restrict riffle carry. I have carried "assault" weapons into walmart, and they didn't freak out. Sounds like another one sided, false accusation riddled story.

• Like 2

i respectfully disagree. I'm sure all the people that saw him immediately dialed 911 and said "holy sh!t there's a man in the park with an AK47!" If i saw a guy in the park with a slung draco dressed in camo bdu's i'd assume he's off his rocker or planning to do something too. Yes a draco is a pistol so you can carry it, however just because you could doesn't mean you should. I can steer car with my feet, but that doesn't make it a good idea. So now you've got one guy in the park trying to prove a point, he gets detained but let go... now you have a park full of people upset that don't understand why he didn't get locked up...so they now want stricter gun laws so they don't have to be scared in the park again and a news show that gets all the facts wrong making him look like a bigger ass than he already is which is even more counter productive. As i see it he just made gun laws stricter for everyone and probably after this no one can carry anything over a 380 in the park.

• Like 2

Most importantly I think it is wrong that people are so intimidated by a guy with a gun. Maybe I'm just more used to seeing people with guns and it doesn't effect me the same as others. I'm sure people will be upset about this and the gun laws might get more strict, but if less people where so afraid of guns the whole thing would have been avoided. It sounds like the guy might have done this on purpose, which is stupid, but it doesn't mean that he should be judged on the way he looks and what kind of gun he has. Also if more people where like Boba and contacted the news, maybe they will stop being such morons saying what ever sounds the scariest(too bad we can't call the news on them). And if there is more strict gun laws than maybe it will be concealed carry only, which would make most people happy.

• Like 1

I'm curious to see what peoples reaction would have been if it was a browning O/U or a Remington 1100. Better yet what would people say if they "knew" what I carry every day for my CCW around town. I hunt at a place frequented by mountain bikers and I, on occasion, have had people get very uneasy about me shooting there. One time, I came across a small group of mountain bikers that were crawling on the ground. After I asked them what they were doing they told me they were being shot at. I observed a couple of hunters 300 yds away hunting and I said, " they're hunting quail dumb ass"! 021.gif I n Las Vegas It's legal to open carry but we, for the most part, don't because of the Commiforians who moved here and the ones who visit. They don't know the law and it creates a lot of unwanted interaction with the Metro cops that we don't want. It sounds like the guy in the OP was within his rights but he could have been pushing the bounds a little. 000.gif

• Like 2

i totally agree. One interesting thing about the news is you never get the full story. The news is presented with facts, then they decide which way they want their story to go. Since people were freaking out, they went with the "this insane camo guy with a sawed off weapon that looks exactly like the guns used to kill americans by iraqi insurgents while your children played nearby...". Had no one cared about the guy with the gun they would have taken the same facts and said, "40 year old family man was nearly shot by police for obeying the law". Just know whenever it comes to the news, you never get the full story just what they want you to believe.

• Like 2

I think the guy is trying to carve out his place in history like The People versus Larry Flint did for free expression and The State of New York versus George Carlin did for free speech. In both cases the boundries were pushed and limits were determined, but in order to keep the peace and maintain civil interactions, we don't walk around naked yelling 'fuck' at the top of our lungs. I'm with you guys that firearm rights need to be protected, but common sense and respect for others must be observed. The way the media blew this and other similar stories up is proof that we need to be better than and smarter than those who oppose us. I liked the 'driving with my feet' comment, that's a good summary.

• Like 3

Throwing a newborn baby into a pool, to teach it to swim does nothing to accomplish your goal.

Guns are feared, whether you want them to be or not, expecially AK derived firearms. Fear needs to be dealt with in appropriate increments. Scaring the shit out of people just because its legal for him to carry that type of weapon does not make it right or OK. In fact it makes it easier and more likely that these types of firearms and or laws will be revoked.

The same fear that gun owners prop up about their firearms being taken away are the same kind of fears that provoke people to stand up for wanting to take them away.

I personally think it was a douche move to jeopardize all firearm owners rights with the display he pulled. One bad apple has the chance to ruin the entire barrel.

• Like 3

My buddy and I were talking about this guy today, he said that guy used to be a member on the ar-15 and glock talk forums and he would post crap like "took my glock to the park and no one messed with me, I'm going to step it up until I piss someone off". He was booted off both of those forums. It drives me nuts that people don't see the big picture and act like asses for attention. My old roadie from back in my band days is a 'slow' fellow, he failed his learner's permit test 6 times, so he's in his 30's and has to ride a bike everywhere. He has a ccw permit and a cheap .380 and has never had an issue. Our gun ownership rights is a responsibility like everything else in life. Don't bring the heat for the sake of getting attention. The guy's a douche bag, and the media is ratings based, NOT fact based.

• Like 2

My buddy and I were talking about this guy today, he said that guy used to be a member on the ar-15 and glock talk forums and he would post crap like "took my glock to the park and no one messed with me, I'm going to step it up until I piss someone off". He was booted off both of those forums. It drives me nuts that people don't see the big picture and act like asses for attention. My old roadie from back in my band days is a 'slow' fellow, he failed his learner's permit test 6 times, so he's in his 30's and has to ride a bike everywhere. He has a ccw permit and a cheap .380 and has never had an issue. Our gun ownership rights is a responsibility like everything else in life. Don't bring the heat for the sake of getting attention. The guy's a douche bag, and the media is ratings based, NOT fact based.

I most definitely agree.

...I can steer car with my feet, but that doesn't make it a good idea...

Comments like this really piss me off.

It's illegal to drive a car with your feet you fucktard. It's not illegal to carry a pistol in that park.

How is it okay to let fear restrict freedom?

Thats true its not illegal to carry a pistol in that park and had he carried a glock or sig or whatever it would have been no big deal. He went out looking for conflict knowing that he'd get it.

Fucktard? That's a little harsh don't you think? Why resort to name calling? I would also like to think that the person calling the other person a fucktard would at least do some traffic law research and understand that NO it's not illegal. Your reaction to the whole driving with your feet deal is the same reaction that the people had. He can't do that that's illegal! why are the police letting him go? that's illegal! well if that's not illegal than i'm gonna get all my park going friends to lobby for stricter gun regulations as i don't see why that's not illegal...and now i'm gonna drive home with my feet while i eat this tasty cheeseburger since that's NOT illegal (however not a good idea :angel: ).

and even though you were mean, i care and don't want you to get in trouble later so here are some legal/illegal things that you may not know.

a. In indiana its legal to fart...however it is illegal to fart on an elevator...just a fine though.

b. in illinois if you aren't married and are dating, your female companion must refer to you as master.

c. also in illinois it is illegal to give a domesticated animal a lit cigar

d. in baltimore it's illegal to take a lion to the movies.

e. In Oklahoma it's illegal to have a sleeping donkey in the bathtub after 7pm.

• Like 3

I think the gist of the story here was about the "surprise" that it is legal to carry such a weapon openly in the park. It sounds like some education for the uninformed masses is in order here. It was these people's ignorance of the law that led to their surprise and fear. If you have to, put signs at the entrances to the park stating that "it is perfectly legal to carry certain weapons openly in the park and therefore you may in fact see that happening". OK, now there is no "surprise".

• Like 2

Throwing a newborn baby into a pool, to teach it to swim does nothing to accomplish your goal.

Guns are feared, whether you want them to be or not, expecially AK derived firearms. Fear needs to be dealt with in appropriate increments. Scaring the shit out of people just because its legal for him to carry that type of weapon does not make it right or OK. In fact it makes it easier and more likely that these types of firearms and or laws will be revoked.

The same fear that gun owners prop up about their firearms being taken away are the same kind of fears that provoke people to stand up for wanting to take them away.

I personally think it was a douche move to jeopardize all firearm owners rights with the display he pulled. One bad apple has the chance to ruin the entire barrel.

Thank you.

• Like 1