So its TEOTWAWKI and the shit has hit the fan. What are the 3 weapons you would take? I tell you what I wouldnt want, AR 15 or AR 10 or a 1911. Yeah, very accurate, awesome weapons but this is SHTF not the range. They would maybe be jamming left and focking right, probably when you need it the most. Think about it, maybe on the move, rainy, wet, muddy, and dirty. You may not have time to clean like you would safe at your home with time and all the supplies.

You want weapons that will function in those elements with mim upkeep.

Heres a short list of weapons I think would be best.

Then again, best may be whatever you have on hand.

HANDGUNS

HK USP or 45

SIG P220 or P226

GLOCK whatever

other

SHOTGUNS

Remington 870

Mossy 500/590

SAIGA 12

other

RIFLES

FN FAL

AK 47

HK 91

Ruger 10/22

other

AR 10

AR 15

My 3 would be

-HK USP .45 for the highcap mags and reliability.

-FN FAL for the reliability plus range and power of the 7.62x51mm.

AK 47 very close second.

-Remington 870 just because it would work everytime I would pull the trigger with all loads.

Dont forget a high qual fixed blade knife.

Edited by saigalupo

SHTF all you need is enough ammo to last for a little while. After that you'll be able to acquire and find things to use. How many innernet commandoes are going to be shooting each other? Enough to resupply you with weapons and compatible ammo for them.

IF I wanted something other than what I had, I'd set up a hide with my Model 700 and drop whomever came by with a weapon I wanted.

I forgot to add the 700 to my list, awesome weapon.

I myself have a remington 700p

kind of modded up, and it is heavy but can shoot .50 sub MOA all day long.

OK, before we get too technical, in reality you would be better off

with just a concealed handgun, spare mags and some ammo,

A pack with some spare clothes, basic med kit, water purifier,

and knife plus some other basic survival gear.

I think and hope people realize if you walk around in tact gear strapped up like steve mcqueen

you would not last long. But this is about shtf guns and for fun. Lets keep it that way.

I'll bite. My first order is to get upstate where I have a lot of family and a lot of forest.

Any 30-06 bolt action with a good scope for long range and big game.

S-12 for medium range/invasion protection/water foul/small game. Mine is always reliable.

S&W or Taurus 8 round .357 revolver with a couple of speed feeds.

I like simple.

My G23, 1022 that breaks down into a backpack and my Saiga 7.62x39. Just a little ammo for the Saiga and Glock and a bunch of 22lr. If it's that bad I'm gonna be as loaded as possible with food and other supplies.

My G23, 1022 that breaks down into a backpack and my Saiga 7.62x39. Just a little ammo for the Saiga and Glock and a bunch of 22lr. If it's that bad I'm gonna be as loaded as possible with food and other supplies.

Same, I wouldn't be so worried about weapons, would take just two, a pistol (probably a 357) and probably a good rifle (7.62x39), or a pump shotgun, I would lean towards the rifle as more ammo can fit in less space, and a single big can of mixed ammo for the two guns. Would much rather have tools, water and food and such if the plan is bugging out.

Same, I wouldn't be so worried about weapons, would take just two, a pistol (probably a 357) and probably a good rifle (7.62x39), or a pump shotgun, I would lean towards the rifle as more ammo can fit in less space, and a single big can of mixed ammo for the two guns. Would much rather have tools, water and food and such if the plan is bugging out.

Man you gotta have a 22lr. Pack 1,000 rounds no problem, even if it's a pistol. I view it as the most valuable thing I can pack in that amount of space and weight. Plus I'm a better shot with it than anything because of cost to practice.

Man you gotta have a 22lr. Pack 1,000 rounds no problem, even if it's a pistol. I view it as the most valuable thing I can pack in that amount of space and weight. Plus I'm a better shot with it than anything because of cost to practice.

That is true. A brick of 50 rounds fits in a pocket with ease. I have a full stocked 10/22 and it is very light, you mentioned having a takedown model? What kind of mods/stock is needed for that? That would be a very handy addition.

S-223, and G17.

I would not bother with any other firearms because I need to be able to carry what I need with me, I'd cut the extra weapon and add more ammo.

Here's what's going to happen. If anything we're to happen, SHTF, such as being invaded, or the UN come marching down I-95, I would take my Saiga '74 and smith mod 15 .38 spcl revolver. If I came across a fallen UN soldier or anyone with a better weapon, such as a nice M16 or M4 (full auto baby), I'm taking it. I'd kiss my 74, then toss it. It's not that I don't like my '74, but w/e the enemy is using is going to be in abundance, ammo, all that.

Plus I'm comfortable with both AK and AR platforms.

Although I might just take the auto lower receiver off said M16/M4 and try and find a gas piston upper for it. Then I'd sadly depart from my '74. =(

EDIT:

Now if it we're the Zombie apocalypse.. I'd pack all my gun in my '82 Silverado with I-beam bumpers and roll around going mad max on everyone of them undead bastards.

Edited by SaigaScott

Don't we already have this topic somewhere else

Yep. Here and here.

I think everyone can agree that access to any firearm is better than none. Some serve a particular purpose better than others though: For small game hunting, a 22 rifle would be good. So would a 12 ga with birdshot, though range would be limited. For indoor, home defense type stuff, a 12 ga w/ buckshot would be tough to beat. A pistol in at LEAST 380 would be good too. Again, anything is better than nothing, but a 22 pistol will require much more precise bullet placement to stop someone or something intent on hurting you. I'd prefer a 9mm or 45 personally.

For medium range (say out to 300 meters), IMO you'd want something that's going to provide a decent impact at a good velocity, preferably with a reasonably high ammo capacity. This is where the tactical rifle (or "assault rifle" if you must :unsure: ) shines. The greater ammo capacity afforded by these types of firearms really help you take care of the problem without having to pause to reload as much (in an ideal scenario, not until the threat is neutralized, but definitely don't count on that).

Ammo for modern tactical rifles generally have plenty of velocity out to and beyond 300 meters. To oversimplify it, velocity goes hand in hand with range. As the weight goes up, velocity can generally go down a little and still be ok (to a point). Both is better though, so long as you can handle the recoil. When the velocity gets sub sonic (approx 1100 fps), wind and other elements will start to impact accuracy and trajectory. That's why a really heavy bullet moving at sub sonic speed will limit your effective range to about 100 meters or so. It'll hit hard within that 100 yards though. High velocity lighter bullets have the advantage of range, yet can still impart a decent ammount of energy into the target, depending on bullet type.

As far as specific models, I'd say that so long as you've PERSONALLY put several hundred (or preferably more) rounds through it and know it's going to function when you need it to, model type becomes secondary. If I needed to grab a gun and go right now, I'd rather trust my Dad's 30 year old 870 pump that I've shot literally THOUSANDS of rounds through than a brand new (non-broken in) Saiga 12. Even if it was all tricked out with drums, lasers, flashlights, a folding stock and whatever other tactical stuff you can think of. Until something is "put through its paces", it hasn't earned my trust enough for me to bet my life on it, or those of my family.

So......my choices, given ample funds to buy them:

Either my Saiga 12 with 8 rd Izzy mags (or Surefires if I can't afford Izzys), or my 870 or Mossy 500. The 870 looks less tactical, if the situation calls for discretion rather than domination (helping a group with medical assistance, but still needing a defensive tool, just in case). The Mossy is the cruiser model, so it'd be more suited for close range work (will probably be AOWed eventually). Not my first choice.

A Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat for small game gathering in a SHTF scenario, though the bolt action 77/22 has fewer parts and would probably be more reliable if it got dirty. Any reliable 22 rifle would suffice though.

For a pistol, I'd probably go with my Glock 17 because I've had it since 1988 and have literally put in excess of 10K rounds through it. I know what it'll do and what it won't do. Yeah, my 45 USP is a great gun too (wish it were a suppressed SOCOM :rolleyes: ), but it's heavy, and I doubt I'd use it that much. Remember what I said about slow and heavy rounds? Subsonic 45 ACPs through a suppressed pistol would hit like a ton of bricks without being TOO noisey. :super: LOL

But I seriously doubt I'd be "going Commando" in a SHTF situation, so I'll leave the SOCOM setup for those thinking they'll be assaulting other warriors. I'd likely try to get myself and my loved ones to a secure, remote location and make us look as small as possible. Attrition will save you more often than bullets. The suppressed 45 pistol would be cool, but probably not needed. It'd draw more attention than I'd want.

For a tactical rifle, I'd probably go with an AK style setup. Assuming I had a shitload of ammo, I'd go with 7.62x39, I think. If I was limited on ammo, I'd probably go with a more readily available round, like the 223 (also in an AK). An AR would be worth having though, considering how popular they are and the chance that you might run across another broken/dropped one that can be used for parts. An AR with a 22 conversion kit would combine two firearms into one, saving weight and space.

Speaking of parts..... Whatever weapons you have, GET SPARE PARTS!!! Things break at the worst possible time and even a Barrett 50 cal is worthless if the firing pin breaks.

Anyway, that's the view from MY soapbox. Your view may differ. LOL

Corbin

*Edit for spelling and to add about the rifle

Edited by Corbin
But I seriously doubt I'd be "going Commando" in a SHTF situation, so I'll leave the SOCOM setup for those thinking they'll be assaulting other warriors. I'd likely try to get myself and my loved ones to a secure, remote location and make us look as small as possible

Well said, if the situation required a bug out, my one and only goal would be to protect my family and survive until things boil over.

Yeah.............

Oh yeah.

Heres a pic from 2 weeks ago. I put a new badger 20moa base on and had to resight. My last 4 rounds. First was high so

went -2 in elevation then fired my 3 shot group. Not too bad but Ive done better. .55 moa baby. Its getting the trigger turned now to 3 lbs so

I should be able to tighten em up and keep them between .45-.75 moa next time I go. Thats some good shooting.

post-24640-12730995526272_thumb.jpg

Yeah.............

Heres another

post-24640-12731000900464_thumb.jpg

Yeah.............

And the weapon that did it, besides me.

Remington 700p barrel cut to 22 inch and recrowned

Badger 20moa base

7 round mag extender

Badger bolt knob

Harris bipod

Its a motherfocking beauty

post-24640-12731002988071_thumb.jpg

You weren't being serious? :lolol:

Well, with all the bullshit bragging going on, and the utter silliness of the subject in general....................

Oh cmon I wasnt bragging, but I did back up what I said.

Well that was only .55 I dont have other pics of my groups. Next time Ill have 5 shots touching

Im going back out in a week or 2.

Edited by saigalupo

I know these topics come up quite a lot...but i haven't answered before so here it goes:

All of the guns I have bought, a SHTF type of senario is in the back of my mind. I have 5 guns all would be used by me and my wife. We are both comfortable with them all & they would all come with us for the bug out.

Me: Saiga 308 & HK USP Compact 40.

Wife: Saiga 12 & Ruger LCR 38spl. (the LCR is my everyday carry piece)

And a 22lr Ruger MarkIII pistol for whatever else.

-EnzNow

post-18211-12731354316184_thumb.jpg

Edited by EnzNow