Question for people who use their Saiga 12 for home defense.

Condition one for me. If someone is brazen enough to break into my house, they won't care about the sound of the bolt being racked and quite frankly, I don't care if they don't make it out alive anyway. My state passed the Castle Doctrine and I intend on capitalizing on it if need be.

In a home defense situation it is my opinion that anyone who is counting on whether they are "late to the party" or not as being the time difference between taking the safety off or charging the weapon may want to think more about the initial security to there house and property. If there is any chance that you are going to wake up with someone standing over you then I'd say the party is already over. I'm not knocking how you want to keep your gun ready but it's just a word to the wise that home defense has got to be a lot more than a quick draw contest.

That's what I have dogs for. (No pun intended)

Their my first line.

The S-12 is the backup.

He is in training. Early warning device. This was 2 months ago he is much bigger now.

DSCN0052-1.jpg

I'm gonna get flamed for this but, one in chamber, full five-round mag inserted and loaded with 00 Buck, safety off...

...yeah, you read that right.

But we also clear and safe all weapons in the house when we get up in the morning since the S-12 isn't the only weapon kept that way. My .40 cal pistol is also fully loaded at night locked cocked and ready to rock, along with the wife's .40 cal pistol fully loaded with the slide locked open, then there's the Mossy 500 which is stored safety off so that I can dry-fire or hit the release and run the slide, and finally, there's the AR, which is loaded with a 30 round mag safety off and bolt held open. The SKS is also nearby loaded with 20 rounds and locked open, all you have to do with that one is tap the butt-stock and the bolt runs itself home...

Reading through these replies and by and large am in line with that - condition 1 but under the bed (still have a 14 YO who knows about guns, how to shoot but still don't want to make it obvious to curious friends). M&P 40 in the night stand.

I guess my bigger concern less the miliseconds it's going to take to go hot but some zombie breaking in while I'm out and just taking my lovely S-12. Actually think there is more of a chance of that than anything else... Do you guys safe all you readies when you're out? I don't - maybe I should.

Reading through these replies and by and large am in line with that - condition 1 but under the bed (still have a 14 YO who knows about guns, how to shoot but still don't want to make it obvious to curious friends). M&P 40 in the night stand.

I guess my bigger concern less the miliseconds it's going to take to go hot but some zombie breaking in while I'm out and just taking my lovely S-12. Actually think there is more of a chance of that than anything else... Do you guys safe all you readies when you're out? I don't - maybe I should.

When I leave everything is in the safe.

Definitely lock up what you don't need immediate access to. It's a pain if you have to lock up several firearms every time you go out, but really, how many will you need for HD? One or two (pistol and shotgun) should cover it.

I have two belt fed saiga 12's fix to motion control turrets that are mounted dead center middle of the room on the ceiling, I lose more cats that way. :lolol:

Mag locked in, bolt racked open!

Damn Cameron , I hope you never have to quickly get up at night to take a piss ! :eek:

10 round mag because I don't see myself going prone insisde the house. B&P 5/0 shot (like large turkey shot) because I'd rather not kill the neighbor kids if I miss. Slugs indoors? Irresponsible and pointless for home defense.

I agree with this. That's why I like to run 4 or 1 buck.

Odd, VERY odd nobody here said they'd scream, "I'm calling 911," and then cower in their closet praying.

:lolol:

Well if I had enough time I just might end up cowering in my daughters closet on the phone with 9-11 along with my wife, son, daughter and 2+ loaded, ready guns pointing at the closet door.

The only thing worth risking my life for in my house are my wife and children. My goods are replacable, my dogs are expendable and losing the cat would be a blessing. If I could secure my loved ones and avoid a confrontation until the cavalry arrives or the invaders leave on their own you better believe I would.

If forced into a confrontation though, either due to a lack of time to secure everyone or to being found I would shoot first and ask questions later.

Odd, VERY odd nobody here said they'd scream, "I'm calling 911," and then cower in their closet praying.

:lolol:

Well if I had enough time I just might end up cowering in my daughters closet on the phone with 9-11 along with my wife, son, daughter and 2+ loaded, ready guns pointing at the closet door.

The only thing worth risking my life for in my house are my wife and children. My goods are replacable, my dogs are expendable and losing the cat would be a blessing. If I could secure my loved ones and avoid a confrontation until the cavalry arrives or the invaders leave on their own you better believe I would.

If forced into a confrontation though, either due to a lack of time to secure everyone or to being found I would shoot first and ask questions later.

For your sake, I hope your dogs don't have the same feeling about you. But don't worry, they don't.

In answer to a previous post about securing the guns in the safe when we are not home...YUP!

Last thing we responsible gun owners need are whiners saying, "see, see, those people really are not responsible citizens and their recklessness allows criminals to get guns. Thus guns should be banned........."

Lock 'em up so as not to arm an opportunist thief and give gun grabbers any fodder.

Sorry guys i have to say That the day I rely on the saiga for home defense comes... I Will be long gone out of my home in the back country avoiding the nukes! My mossberg 590a1 stays loaded with 3 rounds in the tube right along the top my bed so that i can grab it from nearly any my sleeping positions with my right hand safety on! I love the saiga's but other than a good old fashion top break double or single barrel you wont find a more reliable low maintenance shotgun other than a good pump gun(i.e. remmington, mossberg, winchester, or ithica)

Sorry guys i have to say That the day I rely on the saiga for home defense comes... I Will be long gone out of my home in the back country avoiding the nukes! My mossberg 590a1 stays loaded with 3 rounds in the tube right along the top my bed so that i can grab it from nearly any my sleeping positions with my right hand safety on! I love the saiga's but other than a good old fashion top break double or single barrel you wont find a more reliable low maintenance shotgun other than a good pump gun(i.e. remmington, mossberg, winchester, or ithica)

You don't have to be sorry. You can defend yourself any way you want. I relied on a Mossy pump for years although I never had it in or on my bed. I have just as much faith in my Saiga now so the advantage of rapid fire and higher round count make it a no-brainer for me. My Glock 9mm is what my hand touches first if I'm laying in bed. The 18 rounds in that should get me a few feet to the S12.

one in the chamber and 8 round Izzy mag with bolt closed and safety on. Federal tactical 00 and have never had a problem with deformation to the degree that it prevents chambering of the top round. My rule is if I have to pick it up, the safety comes off.

• Like 1

Saiga sleeps in the safe, mag out action closed safe locked, Anyone who breaks in after climbing the mile up the mountain from the road and getting past my dobies without setting off my perimeter alarms isn't going to be effected by a shotgun. My bedside table has a 240 lumen small light and a Glock 20 with sixteen rounds of 200gr hollow points coming out at around 1240 fps. I shoot through walls and have no neighbors.

so here are the conditions.i live on the edge of town in a house(not apartment complex)with my neighbors being the closest of about 80yards and my son sleeps with us(i know its a bad habbit)therefore that pretty much eliminates having to take into account of which direction and type of load i can shoot.that being said #1 alarm is my big mean sounding lab outside that is VERY aware and protective.ok,so lets say some crazy fuck with night vission and silenced weapon takes the dog before i am aware.#2 i sleep lite and distinctly know what sounds are normal/abnormal.the bedroom doors are mini french doors and with the ambiant light that is within the great room allows anything passing through to cast its shaddow on the wall.not to mention that when outside the bedroom you cannot see within,but i can see out even if the perp has nv as the infrared bounces off the glass and causes total glare.#3the floor right in front/outside the doors creeks/pops loud.#4the doors do not have a lock but are strapped togeather inside by the handles allowing for about 2" to open and makes a loud sound as its held in place with brass ball bearings.now for the situation on the inside....i sleep with an HK USP tactical .45 extended 20rd mag with hornaday jhp.safety off not chambered,and no even if i am startled im not "late to the party"as i can chamber the round and be in the zone before my feet can hit the floor.i know this as i have done it before.10 feet away is my s-12 with 5rd mag next to it with SB 12 pellet 00.surely by then the wife can join the fight with the makarov on her night stand.only 8rds but then she can take over the HK with extra loaded mags.i empty the 5 rds in the s-12(equaling 60 shots from a .32 cal pistol in less than 1 sec)and move on to the 5.45 saiga.also by then the 7year old boy will also join the fight(pretty decent shot and fundamentals for his age/size)with his ruger or the ar-15.if the fight still continues then we head out the bathroom window and shoot the propane tank outside giving us enough destraction/destruction to escape......or i just am having an awsome dream of hot chicks having sex with me and the wife and i decide not to wake up.either way.

so here are the conditions.i live on the edge of town in a house(not apartment complex)with my neighbors being the closest of about 80yards and my son sleeps with us(i know its a bad habbit)therefore that pretty much eliminates having to take into account of which direction and type of load i can shoot.that being said #1 alarm is my big mean sounding lab outside that is VERY aware and protective.ok,so lets say some crazy fuck with night vission and silenced weapon takes the dog before i am aware.#2 i sleep lite and distinctly know what sounds are normal/abnormal.the bedroom doors are mini french doors and with the ambiant light that is within the great room allows anything passing through to cast its shaddow on the wall.not to mention that when outside the bedroom you cannot see within,but i can see out even if the perp has nv as the infrared bounces off the glass and causes total glare.#3the floor right in front/outside the doors creeks/pops loud.#4the doors do not have a lock but are strapped togeather inside by the handles allowing for about 2" to open and makes a loud sound as its held in place with brass ball bearings.now for the situation on the inside....i sleep with an HK USP tactical .45 extended 20rd mag with hornaday jhp.safety off not chambered,and no even if i am startled im not "late to the party"as i can chamber the round and be in the zone before my feet can hit the floor.i know this as i have done it before.10 feet away is my s-12 with 5rd mag next to it with SB 12 pellet 00.surely by then the wife can join the fight with the makarov on her night stand.only 8rds but then she can take over the HK with extra loaded mags.i empty the 5 rds in the s-12(equaling 60 shots from a .32 cal pistol in less than 1 sec)and move on to the 5.45 saiga.also by then the 7year old boy will also join the fight(pretty decent shot and fundamentals for his age/size)with his ruger or the ar-15.if the fight still continues then we head out the bathroom window and shoot the propane tank outside giving us enough destraction/destruction to escape......or i just am having an awsome dream of hot chicks having sex with me and the wife and i decide not to wake up.either way.

mmm...hot chicks !!!!!!