Hello

Watched "Book of Eli" Blu-Ray last night. Significant on a number of levels, absolutely magnificent movie, completely "against the grain" of Hollywood and produced by Denzel Washington, who also stars in it masterfully.

One has to get the feeling many people are getting tired of "the mandate" being dictated to them on moral grounds after watching this.

I can't offer up enough kudo's to Denzel on this one.....He's da man!

Respectfully,

guido

• Like 4

Really? I took the wife to see it when it was in theaters. . . and when the final credits rolled, we felt rather disappointed. Denzel's performance was indeed terrific, but the movie plot's conclusion was rather a yawner.

:angel:

Hello, Gary

I liked the movie, but I LOVED the theme! I suppose I'm looking at the bigger picture, but to me it was a huge finger-jab in the eye of "cinema establishment" by a very established and well-respected actor.

I think that took some huge stones and admirable conviction.

I think they could have ended it about three minutes earlier and not lost a thing.....

JMHO....

guido

Really? I took the wife to see it when it was in theaters. . . and when the final credits rolled, we felt rather disappointed. Denzel's performance was indeed terrific, but the movie plot's conclusion was rather a yawner.

:angel:

• Like 1

Best movie,? no.... Full of purpose?.... YES!!!!

Not mindless entertainment, but serving a purpose greater than self....

Awesome and full of WIN!!!!

Is this the one about the blind man carrying the bible around while kung-fooing bad guys in post apocalyptic Eugene Oregon? :unsure:

LOL yes thats the one.

But hey its better than the usual, "Post apocalyptic, lets go find civilization." :lolol:

• Like 1

Is this the one about the blind man carrying the bible around while kung-fooing bad guys in post apocalyptic Eugene Oregon? :unsure:

LOL yes thats the one.

But hey its better than the usual, "Post apocalyptic, lets go find civilization." :lolol:

And we all know God would never call anyone to do ANYTHING in Oregon....

LOL yes thats the one.

I saw part of it, my wife got it on OnDemand last week. I liked The Road better in terms of that type of flick.

He is everywhere...

It was a good movie over all. Definitely very different from what you normally see at the movies.

I think he had the whole bible on his I pod and that he wasn't blind.

If he was blind how did he know the cannibals hands shook? (think Kuru is the name of the disease people get from cannibalism)

He shot the bird our of the air with a bow

Never mind all the shoot outs and fights.

Think the I pod had a audio bible on it.

he was always listening to the Ipod

at the end the girl was listening to the Ipod when she started walking

He said he had a King James Bible in his possession when He got to Alcatraz. He had his Ipod but not the bible

I liked the movie a lot I just don't think he was blind

Hello

Kind of a tough movie to discuss without being a spoiler about it...

That being said, I didn't think he was blind, either, although my wife did. Good point about his i-pod, I never thought about that, although he sure was concerned about it.

What I LOVED about it was the theme, and that an established actor (OK, an established black actor) would stand up and produce such an epic. Just goes totally against the grain of the federally implied "mandate" and the accepted Hollywood immoral/ anti-Religion (of any sort) mentality.

I think Mr. Washington deserves a hell of a lot of respect for his groundbreaking efforts!

I, for one, am a fan.

Respectfully,

guido

LOL yes thats the one.

I saw part of it, my wife got it on OnDemand last week. I liked The Road better in terms of that type of flick.

He is everywhere...

I enjoyed the road too.

It was a good movie over all. Definitely very different from what you normally see at the movies.

I think he had the whole bible on his I pod and that he wasn't blind.

If he was blind how did he know the cannibals hands shook? (think Kuru is the name of the disease people get from cannibalism)

He shot the bird our of the air with a bow

Never mind all the shoot outs and fights.

Think the I pod had a audio bible on it.

he was always listening to the Ipod

at the end the girl was listening to the Ipod when she started walking

He said he had a King James Bible in his possession when He got to Alcatraz. He had his Ipod but not the bible

I liked the movie a lot I just don't think he was blind

Maybe God was his "eyes" :unsure:

We really are totally spoiling the movie...

Sound.. and notice he backed under the darkened bridge.. Also the BRIGHT light bothered him.

His eyes at the end had cateract's or something going on.. blue-tinge..

The CAT in the begging hissed.. The bird 'crowed' when flying..

He had music on the ipod.. he asked the bguys lady how long she was blind (from the blast) or was she born that way..

notice he tripped over the table leg a little.. also kicked the shopping cart abit.. and he smelled everything before he tried it..

the girl in the middle liked the Ipod.. she heard most of the bible when he was telling the guy..

your senses go up when you lose one the other(s).

he may have gotten partially blinded from 'the blast' (he was burned on the back)..

Point is... Carma is a bit**.

In an interview by Sara Shereen Bakhshian, Denzel was asked about his character. The audience doesn't get to know a lot about Eli's past. How did he get skills like martial arts?Washington: In [Eli's] 30 years of walking, you run into people. I make light of it, but that's almost the way I looked at it. ... There's this whole issue, without giving it away, is he blind, is he not. ... If you look at the movie, sometimes I actually bumped into stuff -- and they used it. But it was actually an accident or it was God's will. In a couple of scenes, I bumped and tripped over stuff and they kept it in there. I'm sure there will be people [who say], "Oh, there's the clue. ... I told you he was [blind] because he bumped into that." So maybe he can [see], maybe he can't? Maybe he can see a little bit? Maybe his eyes are clouded? I don't know.

[/font]

The Road I loved. I thought they did pretty good at keeping it close to the book which must have been difficult. Thought it was a pretty good picture of what things would really be like in that scenario. The book was outstanding, pure poetry.

I liked Book of Eli but hated the dreadfully depressing "The Road."

I think that Washington is a fine actor, but really don't care much for his politics.

• Like 1

Real apocalypses tend to be dreadfully depressing like that. :) I found the movie's unrelenting gloominess and realism to be refreshing.

Your warped! :lolol:

But so did I!

Real apocalypses tend to be dreadfully depressing like that. :) I found the movie's unrelenting gloominess and realism to be refreshing.

Your warped! :lolol:

But so did I!

Yes, it was very depressing, especially to a father, but a great movie none the less.

Actually, "Book of Eli" ticked me off. I was so hoping it wasn't the Bible... Give me a break. That book is in every hotel room drawer, and often kept in wooden and metal boxes in the case of "Family" ones, a significant percentage of the population would burn everything BUT the bible and last but not least... It's been printed more than Charmin! I wouldn't let anyone tell me the plot when the ads were cryptic about the subject, but I should have guessed by the title and because it was Hollywood.

Arggghhh... I was really hoping for some interesting work... like the old question at the end of "the Time Machine" of what 3 books would you take to rebuild society.

The Road was a good book, and a great movie. I just couldn't help wondering why nobody figured out how to power a grow lamp or fish in the ocean... and just what were the three explosions?

I know, suspension of disbelief... I can't help it.

Actually, "Book of Eli" ticked me off. I was so hoping it wasn't the Bible... Give me a break. That book is in every hotel room drawer, and often kept in wooden and metal boxes in the case of "Family" ones, a significant percentage of the population would burn everything BUT the bible and last but not least... It's been printed more than Charmin! I wouldn't let anyone tell me the plot when the ads were cryptic about the subject, but I should have guessed by the title and because it was Hollywood.

Arggghhh... I was really hoping for some interesting work... like the old question at the end of "the Time Machine" of what 3 books would you take to rebuild society.

The Road was a good book, and a great movie. I just couldn't help wondering why nobody figured out how to power a grow lamp or fish in the ocean... and just what were the three explosions?

I know, suspension of disbelief... I can't help it.

Right because the Government would never take some thing away from you and tell people they cant have it.......Books have never been burned before.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Chevyman097