I have a friend who is about to purchase his first handgun. He is only 22 and is confused about what to get. I have made recommendations to him, but he has specific criteria that he is looking for. He has been shopping for a good deal, but I asked him what he was going to use it for and what it's purpose would be, trying to explain that this is the way to buy a gun, not looking at shops for what looks cool at a good price.

I know that you guys are very knowledgeable about reliability and at finding deals on the net.

The criteria:

This is his only handgun and will be used for self defense.

Good ammo price

Cost less than 450 bucks.

Reliability

Controllability -he is thinking about a 9mm or .40

Wants a semiauto

What doesn't matter:

Finish

Brand

Concealability

Stopping power- Here I told him I wouldn't go smaller than a 9mm

I know that his price range is low, but he is a young man. Help me out guys, I know you can come up with something based off these criteria that he will be happy with.

A used Glock. Police trade in.

I actually like to see new shooters in a .357 with a 4" barrel. It's a great all around gun and can do just about anything you ask of it.

I tried to talk him into a .357 revolver, but alas he is young and he has visions of semi autos dancing in his head.

A used Glock. Police trade in.

I actually like to see new shooters in a .357 with a 4" barrel. It's a great all around gun and can do just about anything you ask of it.

I tried to talk him into a .357 revolver, but alas he is young and he has visions of semi autos dancing in his head.

Ahhh...to be 22 again.:lolol:

keep talking to him 4" DA revolver in 357 / 38 special has got it all

357 for power, 38s for cheap practice

less training, pull trigger goes bang

reliable, pull trigger goes bang

no mags to fumble with

no safety to forget to release when you need it

but if he just has to have the semi auto Glock 19

or even better one of each so he can pull the revolver out of his back pocket when the Glock goes click cause he forgot to rack the slide.

no mags to fumble with

or even better one of each so he can pull the revolver out of his back pocket when the Glock goes click cause he forgot to rack the slide.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83306

Hi Point .45acp for $149.99 and not a bad review to be found-other than it's heavy. Plenty of cash left over for mags and ammo.

Hi-point you get what you pay for.... You might want to look into the Sigs...... Good luck at that price for reliability.... My fist HG was a S&W 669 9mm, not bad and you can find them on GB....

I just saw a model 29-2 nickel 9mm for $365 with 21 bids so far, a 4043 40S&W Hogue Grips & Night Sights for $340 buy it now price.... Tell him to take his time, go to his local indoor shooting range and rent the gun he would like to get and try it first....

• Like 1

no mags to fumble with

http://www.ableammo....oducts_id=83306

Hi Point .45acp for $149.99 and not a bad review to be found-other than it's heavy. Plenty of cash left over for mags and ammo.

Come on man......... Hi Point, really?

Hi-point you get what you pay for.... You might want to look into the Sigs...... Good luck at that price for reliability.... My fist HG was a S&W 669 9mm, not bad and you can find them on GB....

I just saw a model 29-2 nickel 9mm for $365 with 21 bids so far, a 4043 40S&W Hogue Grips & Night Sights for $340 buy it now price.... Tell him to take his time, go to his local indoor shooting range and rent the gun he would like to get and try it first....

This is the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks for a great reply. What kind of reliability did you get out of the S and W 669? A .40 caliber would be great for him as well.

The 2 you mentioned meet all the criteria so far.

Anybody else wanna chime in here?

I'll second the police Glock trade-ins.

AIMSurplus has Glock 22's for $389.95 right now (comes with 2 mags). Listed as "excellent condition". Like most police trade-ins, you can bet on them being "carried constantly, shot very little".

They also meet everyone of your buddy's criteria.

Edited by -Shooter-

Like most police trade-ins, you can bet on them being "carried constantly, shot very little".

Except at the range. They gotta practice you know.

Unless a different one is used?

I've seen plenty of Glock Gen 3's NEW at gun shows.

Very recently, I came across quite a few in the $425 range.

Which is sad because I got mine fairly new, but used for $420 in January, but that was in TX.

Located in VA now.

My gun store is/was (havent been there in a week or so) selling new FN FNP-9 OD green for $450

Chck out Bersa Thunder Pro. Compact or full size they come in 9mm (13rnd? mag) .40 (10rnd mag?) .45(7rnd mag?) They are DA/SA, completely ambi (slide release, safety, mag release) $350-$400 range.

EDIT TO ADD

EAA Zastava EZ9 (or.40). Yugo copy of the Sig 226. also in the $350-$400 price range

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

This is the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks for a great reply. What kind of reliability did you get out of the S and W 669? A .40 caliber would be great for him as well.

The 2 you mentioned meet all the criteria so far.

Anybody else wanna chime in here?

You are welcome, the 669 was extremely reliable and for the price not a bad weapon at all, she shot very straight, never jammed and with the right ammo a very good self defense weapon.... I got mine for I think $200-$250... I have seen them on GB for $350... I went to a H&K 40 compact as a carry weapon but know she is a safe queen, I carry a Colt Officers 45 ACP compact today....

"In my opinion" I am not saying that they are bad, but as a first weapon I do not recommend the Glock, they have absolutely no thumb controlled safety features, you grab it the wrong way and it WILL discharge, just ask a former police officer who shot himself in the foot... (google search)

These are very reliable, very accurate, but again in the wrong hands they can be fatal.....

Let us know what he decides.......

Like most police trade-ins, you can bet on them being "carried constantly, shot very little".

Except at the range. They gotta practice you know.

Unless a different one is used?

They have to qualify with their sidearms every-so-often........but they don't have to practice if they don't want. Ask any cop, and they'll tell you that a lot of cops only put trigger time on the sidearms when it's required; as in for qualifications.

That's what I was getting at; that police trade-ins may look worn (excessive holster wear from being constantly holstered), but in fact don't have many rounds through it. If I was in the market for a G22, I'd be all over the deal AIM is having. But I already have a G23 to fill the .40 role. :super:

i may catch hell from the glock-guys for this, but i LOVE my M&P40. bought it new for right around $450. points great, 15-rd mags, cheap to shoot, accurate, never a problem with about 800 rounds down the barrel. the trigger's a little rough, but not more-so than most DA revolvers... just my $0.02

"In my opinion" I am not saying that they are bad, but as a first weapon I do not recommend the Glock, they have absolutely no thumb controlled safety features, you grab it the wrong way and it WILL discharge

Do we know that this is the guy's first weapon altogether? I was under the impression that it was just his first handgun

"In my opinion" I am not saying that they are bad, but as a first weapon I do not recommend the Glock, they have absolutely no thumb controlled safety features, you grab it the wrong way and it WILL discharge

Do we know that this is the guy's first weapon altogether? I was under the impression that it was just his first handgun

IMO HG and any other weapon are different, just because you pull the trigger and it goes bang does not make them the same, especially when it is going to be a carry weapon.....

Edited by 308saiga

IMO HG and any other weapon are different, just because you pull the trigger and it goes bang does not make them the same, especially when it is going to be a carry weapon.....

They're the same in that if you keep your finger off the trigger, it won't go "bang". Trigger control is trigger control, whether it's on a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

I've read the stories about the cops having ND's and I've seen the video on the DEA agent putting a round through his leg. That being said......that's operator-error, regardless of how "professionally trained" they were. It's a simple concept: If it has a trigger, then keep your finger off it until you're ready to shoot.

That's right, it is his first handgun. He is a country boy who grew up hunting.

That's right, it is his first handgun. He is a country boy who grew up hunting.

So he sounds like he's got the sense to use trigger control.

I'm still going with my original post: Get a G22 from AIM. It meets all of his requirements. :D

They're the same in that if you keep your finger off the trigger, it won't go "bang". Trigger control is trigger control, whether it's on a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

I've read the stories about the cops having ND's and I've seen the video on the DEA agent putting a round through his leg. That being said......that's operator-error, regardless of how "professionally trained" they were. It's a simple concept: If it has a trigger, then keep your finger off it until you're ready to shoot.

OK no problem..........

As Prisonshank and guido2 suggested SR9 or SR9c. AS 9's go, either model has became my favorite. Any Ruger issue is taken care of promptly with a live person on the other end. Taurus or Glock. Taurus will be cheapest. Personally own all 3. Never failure with any. Carry larger caliber myself. :smoke: Go to large retailer, check how it feels. Going to shoot 1,000s of rounds, or just plink and self protection.

As Prisonshank and guido2 suggested SR9 or SR9c. AS 9's go, either model has became my favorite. Any Ruger issue is taken care of promptly with a live person on the other end. Taurus or Glock. Taurus will be cheapest. Personally own all 3. Never failure with any. Carry larger caliber myself. :smoke: Go to large retailer, check how it feels. Going to shoot 1,000s of rounds, or just plink and self protection.

^^This.

Definitely, not being a huge glock fan myself, i think you have a number of good suggestions here, Id place the ruger on top for reliability, followed by the sig (numerous deals on police trade in sigs out there) and if you absolutely had to go bargain basement, the bersa isnt a total piece of shyte and does lend itself well to a first handgun.

Then again, I dont think any firearm owner should be happy until they own at least one 1911.

Hell, you could think outside of the box and go for a CZ-50. Granted it's only .32, but in a self-defense situation, it's all about shot placement. You can carry around a .50AE, but if you can't hit anything with it, it's useless. I carry my CZ-50 as additional concealed, as there is no limit to how many you can carry at one time here in Texas. It's an all around great gun, very controllable, and very accurate.