Schweetness, finally someone does a good looking 54R BR :big_smile:

Can we get a run of your work/parts?

Sure:

1x PSL rifle from Centerfire Systems

1x SVD look alike handguard from http://www.troupsyst...m/svd%20kit.htm

1x Ironwood design PSL stock an d Yugo #3 grip.

1x Tantal handguard retainer.

I took the stock PSL apart. Took the gas tube off and ground off the handguard retainers.

Cut a square for the pistol grip nut, Replaced the internals with US parts.

Cut the barrel to 20". Cut apart the front sight and re-welded it on the gas block. Ground the welds flush to the point where I was satisfied. (the gas block came off the barrel for this part.

While the gas block was off, I took the Tantal HG retainer and cut the top portion so that I can remove the gas tube on and off without having to move the retainer and installed it on the barrel. I had to dremel off the two parts on the side that slide in to the grove on the barrel, because PSL does one have those.

Tantal%20Hand%20guard%20retainer.JPG

And that is pretty much it.

Edited by Deussne

Nice! :super: Now, if someone only made high cap mags for these things...

Or, even more importantly, a thicker barrel.

Why is that? I think the barrel is fine. This is no longer a designated marksman rifle..

Overheating, which the PSL is prone to, would seem to me to be a worse problem with an MBR, than a DMR, which would tend to have a lower rate of fire. I really have no idea how having a shorter barrel affects the overheating issue though.

shorter barrel = stiffer barrel = less flexing when heated.

That's good, but I wasn't really thinking about accuracy, but about the effect on the gun in general. A PSL I shot was steaming quite a bit and the laminate on the handguards melting all over the place. This was after 55 rounds in 30 minutes, with the last 10 rapid fired.

shorter barrel = stiffer barrel = less flexing when heated.

That's good, but I wasn't really thinking about accuracy, but about the effect on the gun in general. A PSL I shot was steaming quite a bit and the laminate on the handguards melting all over the place. This was after 55 rounds in 30 minutes, with the last 10 rapid fired.

Well, I can't argue with your point. Yes, it would be nice to have a thick barrel or even a bull barrel. However, I think this one will suit me just fine. Having fired 5 mags in this rifle one after the other, I had some great results as far as shot consistency and accuracy. Not to mention that I managed to attract some attention from the other shooters, wondering what am I shooting.. Its loud. There were leaves on the ground in front of me, I was standing up, and every shot there were a cone of leaves flying away from me, to a point that when I was done, the area in front of me was clear of leaves. 022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif

Now wouldn't it be nice to have some 20 rd mags?

• Like 1

1x PSL rifle from Centerfire Systems

1x SVD look alike handguard from http://www.troupsyst...m/svd%20kit.htm

1x Ironwood design PSL stock an d Yugo #3 grip.

1x Tantal handguard retainer.

I took the stock PSL apart. Took the gas tube off and ground off the handguard retainers.

Cut a square for the pistol grip nut, Replaced the internals with US parts.

Cut the barrel to 20". Cut apart the front sight and re-welded it on the gas block. Ground the welds flush to the point where I was satisfied. (the gas block came off the barrel for this part.

While the gas block was off, I took the Tantal HG retainer and cut the top portion so that I can remove the gas tube on and off without having to move the retainer and installed it on the barrel. I had to dremel off the two parts on the side that slide in to the grove on the barrel, because PSL does one have those.

And that is pretty much it.

Thanks, nice work and it shows.

Thanks guys for the kind words. I really love this PSL They all should come like that! :) The accuracy of this rifle was about 2-3 moa when I was shooting surplus stuff from the bench. I think you can narrow it down to 1-2 if you actually try to aim and take your time unlike me. I usually tend to go: 022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif022.gif

As far as accuracy now, I think it is the same. I have not really tested it yet. You see that sling stud on the back of the hand guard next to the receiver. Thats for Harris Bi-pod. I will try it out next weekend and see how it does. But I do not have a scope for it yet. So that would be just me shooting with iron sights.

I still need to put a propper crown on this rifle. However, I am debating on which way to go with the muzzle treatment. I can leave the barrel the way it is, put a nice crown and enjoy the longer barrel. Or I can cut it down to 17" and Install one of these: http://www.1alumalite.com/ak.html

(I have one sitting on my table in front of me 035.gif)

Well, the only dilemma that I have is I do not know how the PSL is going to perform with a 17" barrel lol.... So I am going to give that compensator to my friend and have him test it effectiveness on his WASR 7.62x39

Now just so everyone is aware this is not a suppressor. It is a fake can (an over sized linear compensator.)

So what is your thought. Leave the PSL with 20" barrel as it is now, and put a target crown on it, or Cut the barrel to 17" and put on this compensator?

I'm kind of concerned that if you cut it anymore, there won't be effective pressure to drive the piston. At Atlantic Firearms, they sell WaffenWerks PSL 16" carbines. I think they made more adjustments than just the barrel cut.

If it were me, I'd leave it 20" and thread it. PSL's aren't recoil heavy and that beautiful wood should absorb some of that. I think the compensator looks cool, but I would take the extra barrel length over the fake suppressor, and/or both. In reality though, if you thread it 14mm, you can't go wrong and whatever muzzle device you like the most is the best choice.

From the look of the 'fake' can, I wouldn't be surprised if it tames any fireball in low light situations. I think that would be a greater benefit than the compensation.

Beautiful rifle, great job.

I'm kind of concerned that if you cut it anymore, there won't be effective pressure to drive the piston. At Atlantic Firearms, they sell WaffenWerks PSL 16" carbines. I think they made more adjustments than just the barrel cut.

That should be easy to fix, just open up the gas port.

If it were me, I'd leave it 20" and thread it. PSL's aren't recoil heavy and that beautiful wood should absorb some of that. I think the compensator looks cool, but I would take the extra barrel length over the fake suppressor, and/or both. In reality though, if you thread it 14mm, you can't go wrong and whatever muzzle device you like the most is the best choice.

From the look of the 'fake' can, I wouldn't be surprised if it tames any fireball in low light situations. I think that would be a greater benefit than the compensation.

Beautiful rifle, great job.

Thanks, I think I will just go with a plain crown for now, maybe as I change my mind later I can add some sort of flash hider/compensator.