Whats in your siaga magazine?

Buck or slugs  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What type of shotgun ammo do you keep loaded in your saiga?

• Buckshot only
    • Slugs only
    • Slug on top everything else is buckshot
    • Alternating slug and buck
    • Some sort of specialty rounds

3 Promag ten round box, the first two mags w/ Centurion Multi-Defense buckshot (1x.650" ball atop 6x#1 buck, for those not familiar) and the third w/ Winchester PDX1-12 (3x00 copper plated buck in buffer atop 1x1 ounce rifled slug). I don't know why I like buck & ball style rounds as much as I do, kinda cool to have a gas operated, semi-auto musket I guess. :lolol: Both pattern well enough for the distances encountered in my specific HD scenario.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a californian legal version of the Saiga, it only shoots nerf darts and the mag is fixed

What's a siaga?

Funny I was just debating if The federal flight control vital shok, or the FC tactical preformed any better or worse than the hornady tap. Do you know how they compare in terms of grouping, and which

Posted Images

I have almost the same setup as you. Olin military grade buckshot for every round in my primary HD weapon. Also another S12 loaded with Bernanke Black Magic bear slugs. I'm thinking of having a third gun loaded with some less than lethal rounds but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not a fan of having mixed rounds in any one gun.

ETA: All in 8 rd. Izzy mags

That is an amazing pun. Are they to keep the bear market at bay or to prevent Ben Bernanke from quantitatively easing your home? ;):D

Buckshot, lots and lots of buckshot. The last thing any robber will hear in my house "MAKE IT RAIN BIAAAAATCH!" :devil: :devil: :devil:

I voted Buckshot but I have some Centurion double .69" ball LEO rounds on order.

That might be sweet. I like that the balls are in a shot cup with not lead touching the bore. They might fit my drum as well. I have 750 rounds of the roll crimp OO buck and it will only fit in my mags. Not that I think I need a drum for HD. But I would like to have some buck for it so I can use it for "Demolition."

The Centurion in a drum = 40 .69" lead balls at 1200 fps ... That might be the ticket :smoke:

If it does fit and shoots nice I will order up 500 or so more.

I do have a pile of RIO buck to use up first.

Buckshot, lots and lots of buckshot. The last thing any robber will hear in my house "MAKE IT RAIN BIAAAAATCH!" :devil: :devil: :devil:

I voted Buckshot but I have some Centurion double .69" ball LEO rounds on order.

That might be sweet. I like that the balls are in a shot cup with not lead touching the bore. They might fit my drum as well. I have 750 rounds of the roll crimp OO buck and it will only fit in my mags. Not that I think I need a drum for HD. But I would like to have some buck for it so I can use it for "Demolition."

The Centurion in a drum = 40 .69" lead balls at 1200 fps ... That might be the ticket :smoke:

If it does fit and shoots nice I will order up 500 or so more.

I do have a pile of RIO buck to use up first.

Yeah, got a case of RIO 00 at a price I couldn't refuse. I'll keep it for a rainy (zombie ridden) day and buy another to blow shit to pieces with. Tons o fun.

I have almost the same setup as you. Olin military grade buckshot for every round in my primary HD weapon. Also another S12 loaded with Bernanke Black Magic bear slugs. I'm thinking of having a third gun loaded with some less than lethal rounds but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not a fan of having mixed rounds in any one gun.

ETA: All in 8 rd. Izzy mags

That is an amazing pun. Are they to keep the bear market at bay or to prevent Ben Bernanke from quantitatively easing your home? ;):D

I guess they are only for Ben Bernanke if he is wearing a bear suit and he manages to tear through my fence. Something I'm not anticipating but am nevertheless well prepared for.:smoke:

Yeah, got a case of RIO 00 at a price I couldn't refuse. I'll keep it for a rainy (zombie ridden) day and buy another to blow shit to pieces with. Tons o fun.

I just opened my RIO Slugs... They JUST fit in my MD 20 drum. The buck is way to long but the slugs just fit.

They might have a little to much drag as they do not have any real play. I loaded my drum with 20 slugs anyway and will test it tomorrow. I bet if I took the drum apart and took a chisel and just scraped a few .000" off the drum and the back plate they would fit.

A source of very inexpensive slugs and buck that fit the drum would be nice.

In my limited freezing cold tests I also noticed that "reduced recoil" buck or slugs may not be needed. I did not notice any real appreciable difference in felt recoil between the 1200 FPS RIO Reduced Recoil 2 3/4 OO Buck vs the 1345 FPS RIO OO 2 3/4" buck. I will no longer get the slower stuff if that is the case when I try it again in nicer weather when I'm not numb. LOL. I think the pain in my hands from the cold may have overshadowed the Saiga shooting experience a tad. The Saiga-12 is such a cream puff to shoot. I was surprised at how much it adsorbed recoil. My Win M12 20 ga kicks more. (and that has a cutts compensator.)

I am trying to get my loads down to just one brand of buck & slugs preferably ones that will fit my drum easily. Then of course I also want to find a dirt cheap bulk pack 3 1/3 dram 1 oz+ bird shot, #6 preferably, that works well in the saiga Md-20 drum. I hear Winchester is inferior to the Federal 100 pack. I used this ammo in my range test and it ran OK but with a few "last round" empties getting caught 1/2 way ejected.. But never in the string of shots only the last round from the drum.

If I could gas it more i would. It seems to be just a tad under gassed. But I only have 50 rounds fired and I suspect it will loosen up some more as it runs in. Even though I have polished the bolt and hammer After a few 100 more it should eject just fine.

The Rio seemed to fit the bill till I found out the buck, and maybe the slugs, don't fit in the drum. The Centurion is in transit. Maybe it will work better.

Is there a sticky with the current best prices on "Saiga friendly" 12 ga ammo? (like on AR15.com)

I can tell I will be using a LOT of ammo with this thing. :dollar:

Ha! I just changed my sig in another forum I frequent in regards to some weird-ass, completely nonsensical shit that people load their shotguns with for home defense:

Bird bomb, confetti round, proprietary self-contained taser round, rock salt, beanbag round, birdshot, flechette round, buckshot, slug, FRAG-12 grenade - Saiga 12 for home defense.

No dimes?

Yeah, it's only an AGP 10-rounder, so there's no room for dimes, cubic shot, the "Macho Gaucho", "The Bolo", "The Executioner", the "Pitbull", the "Buck And Fuck", "The Stupid Gimmick", "The Chest Cavity Face Raper", or the "Will Convince a Jury That You're A Psychotic Retard" exotic rounds.

I accidentally bought .22 cal pellets the last time I went to walmart and don't own, or know anyone who does own, a .22 pellet gun. I'm thinking about trying to load them into a couple of shot shells to see what happens (just for fun, not defense) Might have a neat pattern.

I keep my granddad's old Mossberg as my standard home defense gun (loaded with duplex, chamber empty). I just figure if I ever had to use a gun for defense it would look better in court to say I had to rely on an antique pump gun to defend myself rather than a modified assault shotgun... I mean the AK platform is synonymous with evil and the default "bad guy gun", so I wouldn't want that public stigma effect a judge or juries decision. Now if the zombies come it would be the Saiga that I grabbed...

Edited by Trigun5312

Ha! I just changed my sig in another forum I frequent in regards to some weird-ass, completely nonsensical shit that people load their shotguns with for home defense:

Bird bomb, confetti round, proprietary self-contained taser round, rock salt, beanbag round, birdshot, flechette round, buckshot, slug, FRAG-12 grenade - Saiga 12 for home defense.

No dimes?

Yeah, it's only an AGP 10-rounder, so there's no room for dimes, cubic shot, the "Macho Gaucho", "The Bolo", "The Executioner", the "Pitbull", the "Buck And Fuck", "The Stupid Gimmick", "The Chest Cavity Face Raper", or the "Will Convince a Jury That You're A Psychotic Retard" exotic rounds.

I accidentally bought .22 cal pellets the last time I went to walmart and don't own, or know anyone who does own, a .22 pellet gun. I'm thinking about trying to load them into a couple of shot shells to see what happens (just for fun, not defense) Might have a neat pattern.

I keep my granddad's old Mossberg as my standard home defense gun (loaded with duplex, chamber empty). I just figure if I ever had to use a gun for defense it would look better in court to say I had to rely on an antique pump gun to defend myself rather than a modified assault shotgun... I mean the AK platform is synonymous with evil and the default "bad guy gun", so I wouldn't want that public stigma effect a judge or juries decision. Now if the zombies come it would be the Saiga that I grabbed...

pellets or round bal bbs? if they where round .22 it would be #5 buck. they would work just fine. pellets on the other hand have a different shape and probably wont work as well.

No dimes?

pellets or round bal bbs? if they where round .22 it would be #5 buck. they would work just fine. pellets on the other hand have a different shape and probably wont work as well.

They are pellets. I just was wondering what would happen... I wanna see if they spin off in a weird pattern or straighten out after they have left the wadding. I honestly have no use for the pellets, so this is more fun than just chucking them out. I doubt the results will be good, but its still a reason to go to the range...

No dimes?

They are pellets. I just was wondering what would happen... I wanna see if they spin off in a weird pattern or straighten out after they have left the wadding. I honestly have no use for the pellets, so this is more fun than just chucking them out. I doubt the results will be good, but its still a reason to go to the range...

they well deform badly and spread quickly. trust me.

True that. I echo those sentiments exactly, especially since my Saiga is being made into Pure Ridiculosity. It's my 3rd line of defense for total chaos (in that it's locked in a hidden gun cabinet), and my second line for home defense (since a GunVault and a pistol are easier to keep away from a toddler, and can be quite effective).

However, the Saiga is my first line for "Things quickly go to Hell and the neighborhood is in turmoil, and I need some level of GET OFF MY LAWN that Clint Eastwood himself be like, 'Dude that's just excessive'".

• 2 weeks later...

1- 3" mag 15 pellet .00 buck in the chamber, 1 slug against the bolt (slugs don't deform bad when left for a while against the bolt) & 7 more 3" mag 15 pellet .00 buck under the slug in a Russian 8 round mag.

Reason being...

It's a scatter gun.

Interesting comment about slugs not deforming as much as shot shells. Wouldn't that transfer some of the deformation to the next 00 in line though? Just wondering.

Nope.

Maybe it would in theory, but it doesn't in practice.

The top shell presses against the bolt in an un-uniform way.

All consecutive shells have force distributed more uniformly.

Not having a decocking lever stops me from keeping one in the chamber and shell deformation keeps me from having a loaded magazine in the gun. That relegates my Saiga 12 to a backup role behind the 223. Nothing really wrong with the 223 as a primary though.

I do have the safety on, and anyone around the S-12 is well aware that I keep it ready to rock & roll...

MY FCG & safety are all up to par, so something pretty weird would have to happen for the gun to fire accidentally.

If the safety's on & the dust cover is installed, my gun can NOT fire. I've checked this extensively.

The main reason I don't want to keep one in the chamber is constant tension on the hammer spring. I like to keep springs relaxed as much as possible.

BTW, I only load magazines to 3/4 capacity unless I plan on some trigger work in the very near future. Guess I just have a spring thing.

Springs wear out from thousands of compressions not from simply being compressed. The spring will "set" some but it'll do that regardless. A new hammer or mag spring woulden't cost that much anyway.

I see it this way, there is a round in the chamber because I may not wake up until the bad guy is in the same room.

Funny I was just debating if The federal flight control vital shok, or the FC tactical preformed any better or worse than the hornady tap. Do you know how they compare in terms of grouping, and which flight control federal are you using (vital shock or tactical)?

2 & 3/4 TAP 8 pellot (now superformance) because its 1600FPS.

3in mag Vitalshok Flight control because thats 12 pellot 1350fps

I think the vitalshok flight control patterns better out of longer barrels, short ones theres no diff. FC is copper plated and buffered the TAP is not. The tap/superformance will be a lot faster & less recoil. Its give and take.

Believe me, I'm not questioning the way you do things nor saying anything you might do is unsafe. You have 3800+ posts, I have 15, so that wouldn't be prudent. I may not be overly bright, but try not to be overly stupid either. LOL.

We all have our own rationale, and they change depending on the situation.

If I had kids, I likely wouldn't have one chambered.

However, to the point of what I quoted...

Really... The only thing you can really be sure about with regards to post counts on an internet forum, is that the person tends to be quite active in a forum & posts a lot. ^_^

Please do continue as you are & decide for yourself what's right for you by testing theorys.

Really... The only thing you can really be sure about with regards to post counts on an internet forum, is that the person tends to be quite active in a forum & posts a lot. ^_^

Bingo!

I mean.. I'm a Mod and I put french fries in my Saiga mags!

Bingo!

I mean.. I'm a Mod and I put french fries in my Saiga mags!

what kind of grouping do you get? i bet they keep the springs from rusting! what no bacon? :lolol:

what kind of grouping do you get? i bet they keep the springs from rusting! what no bacon? :lolol:

Bacon grease makes my saiga smell like breakfast!

10 rounds of slugs in one mag.

5 rounds of 00 buckshot in a factory mag

5 rounds of #4 Turkey load in a factory mag

5 rounds of 7.5 Birdshot in a factory mag

5 rounds of 00 buck and slug alternating in a factory mag IN THE GUN.

Edited by Mayor Al

Posted Today, 03:45 PM

psl sniper, on 11 January 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

what kind of grouping do you get? i bet they keep the springs from rusting! what no bacon?

Bacon grease makes my saiga smell like breakfast!

gets all the zombies to come runnin. then bam! french fry surprise or use scrambled eggs then you can use cheesy one liners like " hey you got egg on youre face" or "gotta break a few eggs to kill a zombie" etc.

Edited by psl sniper