I'm pretty sure New Orleans police stole my pistol

Hey, thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Like I said earlier, I'm not that concerned with the actual value of the pistol, but the more I think about it, especially given NOPD's record of unscrupulous behavior), I really don't want a gun that I purchased from an FFL to end up dropped on someone in some sort of serious crime.

I'll think about my options, and try to come up with some sort of plan of action.

I would really be interested to know how you resolve the issue.

Good luck,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elvis,   Round up all of your purchase receipts, including the serial number for the handgun and head back down to NOPD. When you get there, ask to see the watch commander and explain the situation.

Elvis, I spent a long career as a manager dealing with unionized commissioned officers and lived with the certain knowledge that practically every cop and correctional officer in my state would just L

Not trying to turn this thread into a discussion on how I carry my pistol, but thanks, I feel where you're coming from. If you want to go running around NO unarmed, be my guest. Personally its somethi

Posted Images

Yeah, I'll keep you guys posted. I'm out of town for work right now, but next week I should have some time to really pursue it. I'm going to make some call tomorrow at lunch, starting with Orleans Parish, and maybe NOPD, like GAPD suggested. I'd hate to get the ATF involved, but if if comes to it, so be it.

Hopefully its just some sort of oversight. When I was talking to the city attorney, I mentioned that I had an AL pistol permit, with reciprocity in LA, and he said that he'd never heard of such. I didn't feel like explaining to him that Alabama has reciprocity with pretty much every state in the southeast, with the exception of Virginia, because I wasn't looking for an argument, and just wanted my case dismissed. Obviously he doesn't know what's going on, but he did say that if the police did have my gun I could come get it within a year. But he said their wasn't any mention of them confiscating a gun, so who knows where it is.

Great advice. I would take someone with you and drop a small digital tape recorder in your top pocket. Officers of the NOPD can say the darndest things then lie and deny.

Yakdung

Yea and then he gets arrested for illegal audible recording of a LEO.

That dumb ass law is reserved for communist states, we don't usually have that sort of bullshit in the south. The libs sure have fucked up the population centers of the north. I see you have to have an F.O.I.D card in your state as well. Never going north of the Mason Dixon line again.

Sucks it happened. Do what GAPD said.

You shouldn't go running around drunk with a pistol anyway. If you went in some bars that night, you broke the law and didn't get caught. What if you ran into a situation where you really needed to use the handgun and were intoxicated? Your judgement in using deadly force would be looked at pretty hard afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against partying, but a few beers and a justified use of force might get looked at as a judgement error. Hope you get it resolved.

• Like 2

Not trying to turn this thread into a discussion on how I carry my pistol, but thanks, I feel where you're coming from. If you want to go running around NO unarmed, be my guest. Personally its something I'd rather not do.

Edited by elvis christ
  • Like 8

I'm confused, you were drinking and carrying? Maybe it's just state law in MI, but that alone would get you a quick trip to the klink as well as having your gun confiscated. Either way I'd get a lawyer and get my gun back......

good luck!

• Like 3

I would call the all the relevant folks at NOPD(as mentioned by GeorgiaPD & others) and follow the paper trail to see if you can track it down. You have the citation number and the dates that it would have been entered into the facility, as well as the name of the officers that arrested you.

This all may be simply that the person that said there was no record didn't take the time to look in the right place to see that there was a gun entered into their system. My experience with most government organizations is that if you talk to 5 different govt. employees, the one you are talking to will state that it is the job of the other 4.

If you don't find out where it is, then I would report it as a stolen firearm with the ATF to cover your ass.

After reporting it with the ATF, I would just leave it at that if you don't care about the value of the pistol.

If the New Orleans Police Department is as corrupt as everyone says, you won't change a thing by stirring the pot and trying to get lawyers and other police organizations involved. Even if the cops that arrested you stole 50 more guns from people they arrest, they won't ever lose their jobs or a day's pay over it no matter what you do.

Okay, here's a worst case for you...

Potentially corrupt police officer has your pistol, which if you purchased it from a dealer will return your name through the FFL... or the person you purchased it from, if you did a private transfer. Corrupt cop winds up getting into some pickle, and drops your gun at a crime scene, another cop picks the gun up and runs a check on it, now you're tied to the scene. They put a warrant out for you and now you've got to go back to LA and get it straightened out.

I highly recommend that you get it straightened out now, even for a $200 gun, I'd get a lawyer. Better to get one now, then trust a corrupt system for your freedom, later on. Anyway, you must report it as stolen, if the NOPD won't play ball with you.

Edited by vbrtrmn

you should post this on the Bayou shooters forum :D

I'm kinda looking for advice here, but wanted to share what I am sorta finding to be humorous.

So I went to NOLA for New Years on a whim. My buddy who's in the Navy called me up Thursday night and said he was in town and coming by the house. He showed up, and mentioned New Orleans. I said I was game, so we got in the car and started driving, booked a hotel on the way, and stopped to stay at his mom's in Mobile at about 5am. We get to New Orleans around 2pm on Friday, checked into the hotel, and went out on the town, had a great time. So Saturday we get up, check out of the hotel, and go back out. He doesn't drink, so I was drinking with the idea of him driving back to Mobile that night.

So we go out, and end up meeting some girls. We hung out with them for a while, and around 8 or 9 pm we were ready to head out. The girls were staying at a hotels near where we were parked, and I was giving one of them a piggy back ride down the side walk, on the way back to our car. So we dropped them at their hotel, and started walking to the car. I'm literally half a block from the car, when an officer walks up, stops me, while another one creeps me and hooks me up. I stayed calm as fuck, and asked them what this was all about. One of them said they had got a call from 'a concerned citizen' that a guy in a red shirt (me) was carrying a pistol. I had a kel-tec PF9 on my hip, in my waist band, and I guess someone had seen it when I had this girl on my back.

I told them that I had an Alabama permit in my wallet, and that AL had reciprocity with LA. They talked amongst themselves for a while, then came and said they were taking me in for public intox. Keep in mind that I hadn't blown in a machine or taken a field sobriety test of any kind. They said I smelled like beer. I'm sitting there thinking, "fuck, this whole city smells like beer."

So 3 hours later I get bonded out, and head back to Alabama. My court date was yesterday, as Monday was a holiday (apparently a 3 day weekend for New Years isn't good enough for government employees, but I digress). I got in touch with the municipal court yesterday to tell them that I wasn't going to make it to court. The city attorney called me back and said that they were just going to keep my bond money and dismiss my charge, which is decent, I guess. I'm just happy I don't have to go back down there to deal with it.

The point of this whole story is that when I asked the city attorney about retrieving my property (pistol), he said there wasn't anything on the the police report about a confiscated pistol, only that the police had got a call about a man carrying a gun, and ended up arresting me for public intox (which has got to be some sort of unprecedented shit, getting public intox in a city where everyone is drunk.) He said I could come talk to the judge about it, but they didn't have any record of my pistol being confiscated. My buddy saw the cops take it off me, and even tried to get it back before they took me to jail.

This leads me to believe that the cops responded to a call about a gun, when they found out it was legit, they arrested me and pocketed my pistol. I should be more upset about it, but the way I see it, a $200 pistol and $150 bond for a dismissed charge is probably not a bad deal. It really doesn't surprise me that NOPD would do something like that, either.

The way I see it I have 3 options. 1) Just forget about it, and buy a new pistol. 2) Take a day off of work, ride down there with my receipt for the pistol and talk to the judge, to see if he'll release it to me. Or 3) Call NOPD and report my pistol stolen. If they have no record of it being confiscated, it must be stolen.

What do you guys think?

Edited by madmax4x4
  • Like 1

Georgiapd gave you all the info you should need I would not let this happen and you shouldn't either it could lead to some serious ramifications if you do. But I agree with some of the other comments also I would not personally go back down there I would try to handle it from out of state just in case they do have a standing warrant for your arrest. Good luck and be smart don't let this just pass.

so I was drinking with the idea of him driving back to Mobile that night.

What do you guys think?

That your an idiot and need to have your CWP revoked. Pretty sure that you can not be under the influence while carrying.

Now that thats out of the way, report it stolen. Cost to replace it is irrelevant.

before you do anything. REPORT IT STOLEN. They could anal fuck you legally if one of these crooked douche bags has your pistol and wants to use it in a crime. Then you and your buddy need to file a complaint, get a lawyer.

Get the cops on the stand and make them explain exactly how it went down and what they did with your pistol when they arrested you, They know some thing.

You think there is any chance the woman you were with reported it?

Edited by Chevyman097

you should post this on the Bayou shooters forum :D

Yes, you should post this on Bayoushooter.com!!! There are a lot of really great guys on there from the various agencies in and around New Orleans, and you could likely get some good info........

DancingBear on this forum is a regular on Bayoushooter, as well....... Did you drop him a PM ??

Edited by Jeaux E

Yeah, Dancing Bear sent me a PM and suggested I contact the governors office.

Here's an update. I've spoke with 2 different shift supervisors at NOPD, and both of them are saying that there wasn't a report made about a confiscated firearm in relation to my arrest. When I talked to the first shift supervisor I didn't have any of my paperwork because I was out of town working, but today I had all the stuff and was able to provide him with case numbers, as well as arresting officer's name and badge number. He informed me that the arresting officer works in the traffic department, I think a motorcycle officer, and gave me a couple of numbers to call. He said I need to get in touch with the arresting officer, and ask him what happened to the gun, which I find kind of strange. If the guy has the gun, I don't want to tip him off that I'm looking for it, and have it end up in the bottom of the river, as previously mentioned. I also told the shift supervisor that I found it strange that he would give me numbers and ask me to conduct my own investigation, when it appears to be an intra-departmental deal, but I don't know if this is SOP or not.

Basically, its looking like the pistol definitely got taken by one of the officers on the scene, I'm just not sure which one. I told the shift supervisor I talked with today that I was about ready to make a stolen firearm report. His reply, "Well, lets talk to the arresting officer and see if he can shed any light on it." :rolleyes: Sure, sounds like a great idea.

Sorry if everyone is giving you the shit storm for drinking and CC. But what you did should not have anything to do with a cop stealing your gun... If your ever in town again drop me a PM. I live a few blocks from Frenchman. And I'll carry that time around :angel:

• Like 1

I hate that its such a risk going to New Orleans, because its such a cool town, but I guess the risks are part of what makes it cool. I don't know.

Same with Tijuana.

It just wouldn't be as fun if there wasn't a possibility that you may just have to fight for your life against a bunch of glue sniffing teens, get rolled by cops that you may have to pay off, or have to slap the shit out of a fake cop trying to rob you.

• Like 1

Yeah, Dancing Bear sent me a PM and suggested I contact the governors office.

Here's an update. I've spoke with 2 different shift supervisors at NOPD, and both of them are saying that there wasn't a report made about a confiscated firearm in relation to my arrest. When I talked to the first shift supervisor I didn't have any of my paperwork because I was out of town working, but today I had all the stuff and was able to provide him with case numbers, as well as arresting officer's name and badge number. He informed me that the arresting officer works in the traffic department, I think a motorcycle officer, and gave me a couple of numbers to call. He said I need to get in touch with the arresting officer, and ask him what happened to the gun, which I find kind of strange. If the guy has the gun, I don't want to tip him off that I'm looking for it, and have it end up in the bottom of the river, as previously mentioned. I also told the shift supervisor that I found it strange that he would give me numbers and ask me to conduct my own investigation, when it appears to be an intra-departmental deal, but I don't know if this is SOP or not.

Basically, its looking like the pistol definitely got taken by one of the officers on the scene, I'm just not sure which one. I told the shift supervisor I talked with today that I was about ready to make a stolen firearm report. His reply, "Well, lets talk to the arresting officer and see if he can shed any light on it." :rolleyes: Sure, sounds like a great idea.

Yea that's nice of the shift supervisor to "remind" him to log in the gun. :rolleyes: Kind of a Oh yea almost forgot about it just like I forgot to mention it in my report :unsure:

I hate that its such a risk going to New Orleans, because its such a cool town, but I guess the risks are part of what makes it cool. I don't know.

Same with Tijuana.

It just wouldn't be as fun if there wasn't a possibility that you may just have to fight for your life against a bunch of glue sniffing teens, get rolled by cops that you may have to pay off, or have to slap the shit out of a fake cop trying to rob you.

Dang, I was in TJ for two weeks before moving here thats funny! :lolol:

If the guy has the gun, I don't want to tip him off that I'm looking for it, and have it end up in the bottom of the river, as previously mentioned.

..............lets talk to the arresting officer and see if he can shed any light on it." :rolleyes:

Ker-plunk

I read the responses to your post on bayoushooters.com and wasn't surprised by the tone at all. New Orleans is another planet.

Yakdung

ya those folks seem like a lot of help.....NOT. Seems like they are out to troll, not help a fellow gun toter. Dip shits. Cops do no wrong mmmmmK

Not just new orleans, no offense Louisiana folks, but Louisiana is another planet.

Edited by Chevyman097

ya those folks seem like a lot of help.....NOT. Seems like they are out to troll, not help a fellow gun toter. Dip shits. Cops do no wrong mmmmmK

Not just new orleans, no offense Louisiana folks, but Louisiana is another planet.

If ya can't handle the atmosphere.......

And Yak is a dope smoking hippie anyway!

:haha:

Im not there am I? :lolol:

its not called Lousyana for no reason :haha:

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

Thank a lot. Not a hippie, but known to get a little plastered running around West End Park in the days past.

Yakdung

BTW, a post has been made on BayouShooters.

Just gave the thread over there a quick browsing.....

That place, or at least some of the members, make Arfcom's GD look friendly. :ded: Either they are skeptical of your low post count and recent join date, or they really are assholes who see no problem with a police officer taking your gun, and not logging it in. In other words, you're a dick for drinking while CC'ing, but the officer(s) are perfectly fine to steal. They even tell you to thank the officers in a handwritten letter and chalk it up to a lesson learned :rolleyes: . What a bunch of dickheads.

I hope everything works out for you, bro.

If the guy has the gun, I don't want to tip him off that I'm looking for it, and have it end up in the bottom of the river, as previously mentioned.

..............lets talk to the arresting officer and see if he can shed any light on it." :rolleyes:

Ker-plunk

Which is as good a way to end a bad situation as any.

Listen dude, don't pursue this any further than "Gun got lifted by cop, reported it stolen as such, tried to get it back, have records to show that I did so".

This will cause the gun to end up at the bottom of a reservoir, and not as a "clean" plant at a crime scene. Considering that you got this gun confiscated while illegally carrying intoxicated (alleged, but not provable), and you were illegally carrying in bars (by your own admission here on this forum), you are experiencing 2 things:

1. That sometimes having a gun can cause you a LOT more trouble than it would ever be likely to help you get out of.

2. Getting off virtually scott-free from pulling this (IMHO, terribly stupid) stunt.

Lots of lessons here to be learned.

Edited by Vicarious_Lee