whats the cheapest ammo your s12 will use?

Looks like this guys runs pretty good with Winchester Universal bulk :angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNt0GpaZBtA

What is the shot size, weight, and velocity of the ammo your using in the vid ?

This is my baseline testing ammo.

post-22401-0-22376700-1296268513_thumb.jpg

If it doesn't at least run this 100% in stick mags, it isn't running well yet. I can run Federal Multi-Purpose 100% reliably with MD-20s. I haven't tried the Winchester Universal with the MD-20s since I relieved the extractor slot. I have a couple of videos with a couple different Saiga 12s and MD-20s, but the soft Winchester hulls were catching in the extractor slot.

ETA 2:

Ooops.... just read the OP again and didn't realize he was using 9 shot. I haven't tried any of that yet. Mine may not cycle it either, but I will try a box or two of it and will post video if it runs.

ETA:

Ranger,

His might not cycle that crap, but mine will ;)

Your video says otherwise...

Not downing on ya bro, but your gun jammed up multiple times in the video. That's why I hate Winchester, their brass length is not regulated so one shell will have 3/4" of "brass" up the shell while another will have only 1/4"...

Edited by Caged
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Resizing the gas ports is sometimes necessary, but is the solution of last resort.   I would make sure that I have reduced friction and binding first. Over gassed equals more wear and tear on the m

Since Cadiz Gun Works uses Federal Bulk 1 1/8oz from wally world for there warranty work. I use Remington or Federal, it's 23.00 for a hundred rounds. If you try anything lighter than that you will pr

I use Wal-Mart ammo, but only Remington or Federal. What you have described is fairly common for Winchester ammo.

Posted Images

Evlblkwpnz your cycles 1oz birdshot reliably, if it does great. The point I'm trying to get across it that there are not alot of S-12 that will cycle that and that he should start will Ferderal or Remington 1 1/8oz because that's the type of cheap ammo that a lot of us use and have good luck with. Plus someone does all the warranty work with that ammo. :rolleyes:

Mine, right out of the box would fire federal bulk pack fairly well sometimes, but not all times. Winchester it shot well once, then the final time I tried it was single action on setting 2, with 10 round mags. I cleaned it each time I shot it and noticed two of the three gas ports seemed to be partially covered by the gas block. There's a lot of info in this place. It took me a while to get the hang of finding it. I hope to convert it, if it's running 100%.

I sent it in for warranty repair to Cadiz, and am awaiting return. I added on a bolt and bolt carrier polish while it was there.

I've bought several mags and a few drums over the last few weeks waiting on it, and can't wait to test it out. I'm hoping for reliable with winchester.

If it doesn't at least run this 100% in stick mags, it isn't running well yet. I can run Federal Multi-Purpose 100% reliably with MD-20s. I haven't tried the Winchester Universal with the MD-20s since I relieved the extractor slot. I have a couple of videos with a couple different Saiga 12s and MD-20s, but the soft Winchester hulls were catching in the extractor slot.

ETA 2:

Ooops.... just read the OP again and didn't realize he was using 9 shot. I haven't tried any of that yet. Mine may not cycle it either, but I will try a box or two of it and will post video if it runs.

ETA:

Ranger,

Not downing on ya bro, but your gun jammed up multiple times in the video. That's why I hate Winchester, their brass length is not regulated so one shell will have 3/4" of "brass" up the shell while another will have only 1/4"...

where do you see jams?

If it doesn't at least run this 100% in stick mags, it isn't running well yet. I can run Federal Multi-Purpose 100% reliably with MD-20s. .I haven't tried the Winchester Universal with the MD-20s since I relieved the extractor slot. I have a couple of videos with a couple different Saiga 12s and MD-20s, but the soft Winchester hulls were catching in the extractor slot.

ETA 2:

ETA:

Ranger,

Read my friend.... read. The soft hulls were distorting when loaded in the drums and were catching on the extractor slot. I have since relieved the extractor slot and a hull would really have to be severely distorted to catch on it now.

Hopefully, my favorite S12 will be back from TAC47 soon with a folder trunnion pressed in. I plan to do a torturous garbage ammo reliability test with it. Winchester, Remmington, and Federal. I will post it.

Evlblkwpnz your cycles 1oz birdshot reliably, if it does great. The point I'm trying to get across it that there are not alot of S-12 that will cycle that and that he should start will Ferderal or Remington 1 1/8oz because that's the type of cheap ammo that a lot of us use and have good luck with. Plus someone does all the warranty work with that ammo. :rolleyes:

I agree. Very few will cycle Universal 100% reliably. The Federal is significantly more powerful and has much stiffer hulls.

ETA 2:

ETA:

Ranger,

where do you see jams?

He is referring to a couple of my other videos with Universal and MD-20s.

did somone say winchester universal? how bout winchester in a promag 10 rnd mag? crappy mag crappy ammo. will my saiga eat it?

YES!

Miracles happen ;)

That one is certainly a keeper.

I agree. Very few will cycle Universal 100% reliably. The Federal is significantly more powerful and has much stiffer hulls.

ETA 2:

ETA:

Ranger,

where do you see jams?

did somone say winchester universal? how bout winchester in a promag 10 rnd mag? crappy mag crappy ammo. will my saiga eat it?

YES!

Miracles happen ;)

hallaluja!!! send me your saiga my son! and i will dispell the FTF demons! can i get an AMEN!

ETA 2:

ETA:

Ranger,

where do you see jams?

YES!

Miracles happen ;)

hallaluja!!! send me your saiga my son! and i will dispell the FTF demons! can i get an AMEN!

Amen! I got pretty agressive with a flat file in the slot after the FTFs with Universal and the drums. It should be GTG in there now. I miss my Saiga 12.... it will be nice when I get it back and reassemble it. Bet your ass I'm posting pics.

Im also using a Promag 10rd, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.

actually it could be a big problem. promags are very snug inside, causing drag on the shells. they dont feed well without some modding. mine are both modded and they work great. if you ever have feeding issues try the factory mag first, if it doesnt work with that, then its the gun.

i promise youre mag salvation! hallaluja! :lolol:

ETA 2:

ETA:

Ranger,

where do you see jams?

Oh yeah, sorry I thought it was the drum dump video again...

• 4 weeks later...

Just figured I'd throw a post on here. The gun I just sold on this site would run Winchester Universal 8 from wally world with NO FAILURE. The KEY to it doing it on this gun was that the previous owner used something on the threads of the plug to keep gas from escaping around the plug. When I pulled it apart and cleaned it then reinstalled it WOULD NOT fire the Universal clean. No port work. Bolt was only cleaned up. not shaped or polished. Stock plug. Stock "hockey puck". After doing a little bit of work to it I redid his sealing of the plug and again had a cheap ammo eater without even the slightest sign of distaste.

Doesnt it explain the gas settings in the OWNERS MANUAL?? I cant remember but i swear it does. Sorry, I have nothing to add, except stay away from winchester universal. and #1 for high power loads like buck and slugs and #2 for everything else!

Yeah, it was quite clear in my manual that the #1 setting was for 76mm, or 3", shotgun shells. Still, mine choked on cheapo ammo on #2 setting.

Mine shoots just fine with Winchester universal. I find though that one of ProMag 10 rounders I have will cause FTF's. It has guides for the upper plate on the forward side of the mag. The other ProMags I have do not have the guides and cycle great. Not sure why one has it and the others don't. I am thinking about grinding off the tabs from the upper plate and seeing if I can get this one mag to work.

The gun I just sold on this site would run Winchester Universal 8 from wally world with NO FAILURE.

The KEY to it doing it on this gun was that the previous owner used something on the threads of the plug to keep gas from escaping around the plug. When I pulled it apart and cleaned it then reinstalled it WOULD NOT fire the Universal.

No port work. Bolt was only cleaned up. not shaped or polished. Stock plug. Stock "hockey puck". After doing a little bit of work to it I redid his sealing of the plug and again had a cheap ammo eater without even the slightest sign of distaste.Used only AGP Gen 2 10 rounder mags.

The KEY to it doing it on this gun was that the previous owner used something on the threads of the plug to keep gas from escaping around the plug. When I pulled it apart and cleaned it then reinstalled it WOULD NOT fire the Universal.

No port work. Bolt was only cleaned up. not shaped or polished. Stock plug. Stock "hockey puck". After doing a little bit of work to it I redid his sealing of the plug and again had a cheap ammo eater without even the slightest sign of distaste.Used only AGP Gen 2 10 rounder mags.

Has anyone else heard of this? Or have similar problems due to the threads not sealing? Ive never heard of this type of problem. Wonder if it was a unique issue to that particular gun?

While I don't have extensive experience with my S12 (only about 600 rrnds to date), this doesn't seem right. I use brownell's action lube plus on the threads of my v-plug (and stock plug when used) and never noticed any difference on any build up around the threads when pulling apart for inspection/cleaning.

haha another promag 20 drum and remington bulk pack from Basspro

the only time it FTE was when i let my brother shoot it and only cause he held the gun like a woman... when i taught him how to hold it like a man no more FTE and he never shot it again lol

Mine has run Wal mart federal bulk from shot one. When it was new it was about 75% with Winchester bulk. However, when I was shooting the other day someone had brought Winchester and it ran 100% on that too. The difference between when it was new and now is a I smoothed the bottom of the carrier, the rails and the carrier where it rides on them, the hammer where it rubs the carrier and the bolt . I have also but a lot of rounds through it. I may have had the Winchester stoppages post polish job I cannot remember.

The S12 I shoot the second most and has no gas system mods or action work done runs Federal fine but also isn't 100% with the winchester.

Edited by Zambidis

My Saiga 12 does not seem to care how much I spend on ammo. A buddy gave me some ammo for FREE and it shot it just fine.

My S-12 doesn't care what kind of car I drive, or how many figures are in my salary either.

My s-12 she is a real class act.