AMBUSH! US Army Patrol in Panjawai Afghanistan

Check and clear those malfunctions!

Must have been a "Vietnam-era" video. ;-)

Oh, you noticed that?

Our boys are professionals no matter what piece of crap a bunch of crooked politicians and businessmen conspire to give them.

Edited by SOPMOD

begining of the vid, officer prepping grenade launcher while kneeling in plain view..........3 bitches hiding behind the berm not giving him any cover fire, I'd be so PISSED!

Yeah, seems like the only one doing anything there.

I noticed they have a Dog, maybe for sniffing out explosives?? Cool to see dogs with dog-tags!

begining of the vid, officer prepping grenade launcher while kneeling in plain view..........3 bitches hiding behind the berm not giving him any cover fire, I'd be so PISSED!

I've never been in the military, so maybe I'm missing something that was more obvious to the troops on the ground. Having said that, it appeared to me that the whole response to the shooting was completely uncoordinated, haphazard and weirdly passive. They don't seem to have identified the target, or made any effort to flank it, and a lot of the guys are just hiding, as you noted. Yea, I know, "fog of war" and all, but still...

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

I've never been in the military, so maybe I'm missing something that was more obvious to the troops on the ground. Having said that, it appeared to me that the whole response to the shooting was completely uncoordinated, haphazard and weirdly passive. They don't seem to have identified the target, or made any effort to flank it, and a lot of the guys are just hiding, as you noted. Yea, I know, "fog of war" and all, but still...

Are you serious Jim??

• Like 1

I can see how a person might think that but Real Bullets from Real Badguys are REAL SCARY and seeing a guy get shot ONE TIME will make staying behind cover your top goal in life.I personally am a chickenshit pop-up/peeker,no boldly scanning the horizon through the sights of my shouldered weapon for me. I am super scared of getting shot and I will pop-up/peek from different spots all damned day until I actually locate an enemy to shoot at before committing to engage with my weapon and thereby exposing my self to REAL bullet holes and REAL death.

Of course the only thing more scary than exposing yourself from behind cover to locate and return fire would be laying there doing nothing while your enemy advances to a better position to kill your ass and I would react accordingly but I don't blame these youngins for taking cover very seriously one little bit.

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 3

Are you serious Jim??

lol just neg me huh??

So, lets say your a NCO or full blown officer, your responsible for all casualties whether they be fatal or not. That means the decisions you may take may not only get your men killed or wounded but you can and will be questioned about it. Flanking maneuvers and charging into fire during an ambush?? These guys have been at it since 2002, I'd defer to their better judgment.

Edited by Bean.223
  • Like 1

I want to know what them huge bugs were... horseflies? BEES??? I think I would rather deal with a nest of enemy insurgents than a nest of aggravated hornets... At least when you SHOOT insurgents they STOP FUCKING YOU UP! Hornets keep right on bringing the party!! :up: Having been swarmed a few times in my life recently... I dunno which I would choose...

lol just neg me huh??

About the only response that your previous post merited, since you didn't make any argument or tell me why I was wrong.

So, lets say your a NCO or full blown officer, your responsible for all casualties whether they be fatal or not. That means the decisions you may take may not only get your men killed or wounded but you can and will be questioned about it. Flanking maneuvers and charging into fire during an ambush?? These guys have been at it since 2002, I'd defer to their better judgment.

Hmm...I don't recall urging charging into fire. But I'm surprised that anyone could look at the video as a well-executed response to an ambush (other than maybe the first move to cover).

Bold guys are really easy to admire and their funerals are always well attended. I have gambled my life many times, but the older I get, the more I am looking for better odds anytime I take that gamble. These guys were working the problem, if slowly, and not as a complete team effort.

If only that respawn stuff worked in the real world.... :unsure:

Good Post!

• Like 5

SOPMOD,

I would assume these fine young men are regular army, maybe half have been in country for some time and half are new? Also I would assume that the location is not that well know the men? No intelligence information, been on patrol all day humping 80 90 lbs of gear? Got sand up who knows were, bugs eating them raw?

Then some nasty local bitches who have been waiting to ambush them, fully planned out, been watching the routine, have the cover of buildings and trees open fire while the patrol passes through open ground with no real cover?

I'd be on the damn ground behind the wall. +1 to Azrial for the incomplete team effort. These boys are not SEAL team 2 or Rangers. Just young men who don't have enough training or gear to be able to tackle every situation that arises.

I think they did well in their situation. I hate to say it but 1 casualty in an ambush situation (I only heard the one guy shot in the head, was listenin to music at the same time) is better than the whole group being killed. I have no military training whatsoever, never been in the military, but these guys did well.

Honestly i would have probably pussed out and hid.

I think they did well in their situation. I hate to say it but 1 casualty in an ambush situation (I only heard the one guy shot in the head, was listenin to music at the same time) is better than the whole group being killed.

I couldn't tell whether the Taliban even fired anymore after the first burst. Maybe I need to watch it again.

Anyone else notice the guy at 11 seconds run through the NCO/CO's line of fire?

inline.jpg

How many times did he have to clear malfunctions in that M4? I don't remember them being THAT bad. Then again, I wasn't in the desert.

• Like 3

inline.jpg

How many times did he have to clear malfunctions in that M4? I don't remember them being THAT bad. Then again, I wasn't in the desert.

He was damn close to smoking his own troop! Quite often, the cheap assed USGI mags cause the malfunctions in the M-4 but I see he's running Pmags so he must have needed lube. Someone above wondered if they were regular Army. Yes, it appears so. (Spotted a 101st Airborne Division patch). My question is where in the hell were the guys humping M-240Bs and M-249s? Seems that their squad was all jacked up. No beltfeds providing suppressive fire and the Platoon/Squad/Fireteam Leader with the helmet cam was carrying the 40mm. It wasn't clear what his position was, but he clearly took charge and started directing fire, etc. The machinegunners should have been rocking out on the fucking Talibs like the Canadian gunner did.

• Like 1

inline.jpg

That's clay dust mixed with fine sand. It absorbs moisture(including lube) and holds on to it.

• Like 1

So what exactly is this video? Is it just the guy's personal camera for his own personal use?

Probably peronal as they are getting more affordable. I do know military units who were buying them and affixing them to jumper's helmets to record Static Line Parachute jumps so they could make cool videos.

In my opinion, they did good. They dropped for cover, provided cover fire when requested.They didnt expell thousand of rounds or get too excited about the ambush

. They certainly didnt waste alot of rounds at targets that may have already left the area.

Makes me Proud

It also reminds me that you can't look at these kids 18 thru 21 years of age at the mall or corner store the same. They could very well be teens with a couple tours under their belt.

God Bless Em'''

TYBOY

• Like 1