Body Armor

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not worried about rifle rounds. Imma get shot by some cop's Glock when I am looting.

Wont help if you get tagged with 7.62, it may help absorb some of the shock from hitting the ground after though

I use this: Works pretty well, but the mini-gun is just a replica. Works well except for high-altitude work. Not as glamorous as you may think, gets pretty sweatty-balls in there.  

Posted Images

Of course, theoretically, the more layers and the more gear you have on, the better the protection. My thought being that rather than weighing yourself down with added plates, etc., a 4-5lb. cloak would act as the Mongols silk but with your gear acting as your outer body and hopefully absorbing most of the impact. Let's face it, your gear is gonna take the hit anyway. The cloak would inhibit penetration thru the gear initially rather than your body(as with the silk).

Please tell me you are joking. You actually think a 4-5 lb cloak will stop a round from penetrating your gear and you without a ballistic plate included in the mix? If you are talking pistol round, maybe depending on what it is but rifle calibers? Good luck!

Have you ever had the chance to shoot up an old school Kevlar flak vest? Many layers of Kevlar and heavier than 4-5 lbs. Doesn't even slow down most rifle calibers but stops a .22lr! :lolol:

Edited by MT Predator

I'm currently running a 3A Second Chance semi-concealable. I have a Blackwater plate carrier that can be worn over it for additional protection, though I'm thinking of trying a different setup. Looking for large SAPI plates and side plates too. I mean, if I'm still able to move, I must not be doing it right. LOL

If only I had a spare $3.5K sitting around, I'd get Dragon Skin. :super:

By the way, why is a body armor thread in the Saiga 12 section?

Edited by Corbin

I thought about it but its on the back end of my list of things to get. We had a local officer get shot multiple times here last year with a small caliper handgun. He barely survived because one round hit him in the neck. Just remember when wearing body armor you are not invincible just a little more secure. There a many holes in that armor.

MT,

No I'm not joking but did you read my disclaimer? It's just an untested thought. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to test it which is why I put it out here.

And NO, I don't think it will stop penetration of the gear but perhaps help reduce the bullets penetration beyond the gear. Thereby, perhaps makeing for less damage to the body. Like the Mongol silks, it's not about NOT takeing damage, it's about not taking AS MUCH damage.

Iirc, plates tend to have a limit on their number of hits taken, I think everything does. Anything to improve would be of benefit wouldn't it?

BpS12, so you would rather wear this cloak that WILL NOT stop but limit damage to one's gear and self instead of properly configured body armor with ballistic plates that WILL stop the round? Why would this cloak be worn over the gear anyway if it's not protecting it anyway, concealment? I am confused.

Seriously, M-855 5.56mm will zip through gear, magazines, even the weapon being carried, and the Kevlar vest without effort regardless which is stacked on top depending on range of course. Sure, added range may slow it down and prevent penetration but the plate will stop it period.

Yes, plates can only take so many hits. If you are taking multiple hits to your armor, you are either doing something wrong or you are truly fucked. Or both.

• Like 1

BpS12, so you would rather wear this cloak that WILL NOT stop but limit damage to one's gear and self instead of properly configured body armor with ballistic plates that WILL stop the round? Why would this cloak be worn over the gear anyway if it's not protecting it anyway, concealment? I am confused.

Seriously, M-855 5.56mm will zip through gear, magazines, even the weapon being carried, and the Kevlar vest without effort regardless which is stacked on top depending on range of course. Sure, added range may slow it down and prevent penetration but the plate will stop it period.

Yes, plates can only take so many hits. If you are taking multiple hits to your armor, you are either doing something wrong or you are truly fucked. Or both.

NO, I'm sorry if I lead you to that conclusion. My thought is not to replace but to supplement ones level of protection from beyond "just tac gear", up to and above "gear and plates". And yes, if it could be done in reversible camo patterns, that would be a plus, lol.

I'm sorry but I'm not an "Either Or" kinda guy. I believe that every little bits helps. Of course, balanced with movement, weight, multiple usibility, etc.

Also, this idea came up watching video of our troops in the Mideast on patrol, in open areas and reading all the hoopla about continuously changing Camo uniforms and the cost. Something that struck me was that of being able to see who's carrying what weapons/gear. Thus making a sniper's job of decideing who to hit first, second, etc. easier. If your gear is covered so that the wouldbe shooter can't tell who's carrying the SAW, DMR, Commo, etc. targeting choice becomes more of a crapshoot. And if you're adding a covering than it would be better if it added(at least somewaht) to you level of protection.

Again, just thoughts.

Gotcha BpS12. As far as the ever changing camo pattern goes, Multicam is the best all around camo to use. The Army was originally going to go with it, went with the AUC pattern instead, and now are going back to the Multicam for use in Afghanistan because it works.

I see your logic in covering up gear so a shooter's targeting is fouled up however, if you are humping a SAW or 240B, they are going to see the weapon anyway which is way bigger than a pouch carrying its ammo. The other problem covering it up is accessibility to ammo, comms, etc. I wouldn't want the added step of opening my cloak to access another mag in a stress situation. Then add a ruck on top of the cloak, it would get worse.

Personally I consider body armor a waste of money that should have gone in the guns and ammo fund, unless you are planning a "do or die" bank robbery!

I think there is a need for balance. You can only get so many guns and so much ammo and it becomes non productive to buy more. How many guns do you really need to protect your family under a katrina situation or even social unrest like in Libya?. After a reasonable amount of guns and ammo better to start focusing on defense. And long before that you need to pay attention to food, first aid and health care.

Edited by wes

I think there is a need for balance. You can only get so many guns and so much ammo and it becomes non productive to buy more. How many guns do you really need to protect your family under a katrina situation or even social unrest like in Libya?. After a reasonable amount of guns and ammo better to start focusing on defense. And long before that you need to pay attention to food, first aid and health care.

Training. If you have never taken a professional shooting course you should. A couple of days with Pat Rogers, Jeff Gonzales, Louis Awerbuck, Gunsite, Tactical Response, Thunder Ranch, etc is a much better investment in keeping your ass alive in a gunfight than another shotgun, pistol or rifle. Even Front Sight, for all of it's real estate sales/scam bullshit, will teach anyone who hasn't taken a professional course a lot (and you can get a first course at FS very cheaply).

• Like 1

Training. If you have never taken a professional shooting course you should. A couple of days with Pat Rogers, Jeff Gonzales, Louis Awerbuck, Gunsite, Tactical Response, Thunder Ranch, etc is a much better investment in keeping your ass alive in a gunfight than another shotgun, pistol or rifle. Even Front Sight, for all of it's real estate sales/scam bullshit, will teach anyone who hasn't taken a professional course a lot (and you can get a first course at FS very cheaply).

Definite +1 on the training.

You should also have first aid training. Most of the people here probably have had it. If not the Red cross does some decent classes or you might be able to get it through work.

I want the good stuff! this sounds like the good stuff! I have to wear it then I don't give a harry rats rear who sees it! I want the total full bodyy set up even gas masks! whole family outfitted is the goal! eventually! People need to read some real unliberal and ungovt edited history to see why it could be needed!

I got a condor molle plate carrier with 10 x 12

and 6 x 6 AR 500 plates......It don't hide well

But I fig. If I need to put it on I'll need to stop

.223 and .308. And it will do it over n over n over

again. 450.00

Love this idea also!! got to remember the other gillie folks sneak up in the foul places you wouldn't want to go so eyes open!

Quote " If you can be seen you can be shot" Gillie suit and a drag bag tied to your ankle until you get to your position. Two weapons in the drag bag. A nice .308 and a Saiga 12 for close encounters. Problem solved.

Thanks believe i will take this advice 1st!

Definite +1 on the training.

You should also have first aid training. Most of the people here probably have had it. If not the Red cross does some decent classes or you might be able to get it through work.