How good is your memory?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tales of the Gun over the ak on the history channel. 2:20 1st time I saw one. 6:00 you get to see Mikhail Kalashnikov and Eugene Stoner have a sit down.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=075YUx2

by the way sunnybean your avatar is second place to xxINFIDELxx's avatar.   I did find this though booty competition

I'm a pistol marksman above all. I'm good with a rifle & shottie, but my passion is & always has been my pistols. That's what I carry & am most likely to have to use. One of my favorite

Posted Images

Well, I never really wanted a shotgun because they were all clumsy, had low capacity and a bunch of recoil and cost a lot to shoot. I couldn't see why they were all still basically unchanged since 1912. What I wanted was a box fed semi Auto to have a followup and reduced recoil, in stainless.

Around 2000 I was at a local pawn shop that overcharges on everything. They had a .410 and I loved the idea, because I love .410's I just couldn't see spending.$650 on anything in those days. (still thinking in high school paycheck mode even though I had a lot of savings) I asked if they made them in standard guages. or had bigger mags. He said no to the mags and that he thought they might offer 12 gauge, but they would cost more and they were all on back order from South Afrika. (Where he said they were made)

I had read up and all semi-auto shottys were finicky too. So I liked the idea but thought it was way overpriced. It went into my mental box of neat gimmicks for a few years. Then I looked at conventional semi's with a good reputation, and the price seemed more reasonable.

Anyway, in '07 I decided to buy a gun and had settled on a mini 14 or mini 30. they had a great deal on a special edition and I went home to do research on price. When I came back it was gone and the price for reordering had gone up $250, and the dealer expected to them to jack it another hundred soon. So I went around town looking for deals on a Ruger, and ended back at the lousy pawn shop. They had an S12...

I went home and ended up here. It was a couple hundred more than I wanted to spend on a shotgun, but it looked like anything cool would be hard or impossible to get for a long time with pending electoral stuff. So I looked at all the ~400 semi shotguns and decided that I've always wanted a Semi box fed shotgun and if they go the way of the streetsweeper, I will always regret it. So, I'll buy it and if it sucks, sell it.

It was a good thing that the Gun-Tests review was not loading, because that might have scared me away. They usually do good reviews. They gave the s12 a "don't buy" because of their own incompetent assembly without even giving it a proper test! I like the magazine, but that was a close call.

Anyway, now I have 2. I would like a 3rd eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen them here and there over the years and wanted one but it wasn't high on my priority list of guns I wanted to buy. I thought they were somewhat ugly but like thed idea of a magazine fed shotgun.I also was not aware of how they could be converted. It wasn't until I heard the first rumor about the ATF study that I did more research and came across the Tromix website. When I saw what could be done with them I felt like an idiot for not knowing sooner and couldn't bring my wallet out fast enough. Ended up getting 2 of them for $489 each and convinced my brother and father to each get one too before the prices jumped. After my first range session, I wish I had bought one sooner as it's now the most fun gun to shoot in my collection. I also made the February Tromix list so I can't wait to see their work.

I'd seen them for years and always thought they were junk.......still do. I was on another forum and read about the "study" so I bought one for 700 bucks. I bought a couple drums and converted it with parts from CSS. It's fun to shoot and I may buy another and keep it in imported fashion if they ever are available at a reasonable price again.

I'd seen them for years and always thought they were junk.......still do. I was on another forum and read about the "study" so I bought one for 700 bucks. I bought a couple drums and converted it with parts from CSS. It's fun to shoot and I may buy another and keep it in imported fashion if they ever are available at a reasonable price again.

$700?!?!?! Good God! Did you get a reach-around? Tell me you at least got dinner... :lolol:

:bag: No, but I just checked some receipts and I guess I only payed 600 for it. I still got ass raped

Meh, not so bad that you should've gotten a reach around. You probably felt the way most men feel when they go to the doctor to get THAT physical, but hey, what's done is done and just be glad that you got one when you could because they are going to ban them you know... :lolol::devil:

The first time I had ever held an S-12 was when this guy sent me one in November of 2004 to SBS it.

Hinkle.jpg

just cause it reeks of gheyness, and just because Im gonna go ahead and do this the one time im still not gonna get away with it. N00b. LOL. one of the best things that ever happened to this community is when Tony showed up. I remember it well....

• Like 1

In October of 2010 I was at one of the local shops looking for a holster for my BG38, browsing the rack of shotguns killing time waiting to get some help, the clerk came over and said "yeah that is nice, but check this out". He came back with the S12 and handed it to me, I asked what it was, his reply was "well it's Saiga 12, basically a 12 gauge AK-47". I checked it out for a few minutes, went home and looked at my collection, deciding what I had that I hadn't fired in 15 years and chose my trade ins...two weeks later I took my S12 home, ordered my conversion parts after browsing here and studying the CSS videos and here we are today. I knew I had to have it the moment I got the gun in my hands. Honestly, I had no idea they existed until then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

TBH, Barry's election selection sealed the deal for me. I had to have one in spring '09. I paid a not great but not terrible price for a NIB RAAC '08 IZ-109: $560.

Since then, I've paid a fair amount of $, (mostly parts), to get her where she is today, but it's been worth it. My S-12 is still the most fun and cheap to shoot, gun I've got. :smoke:

r17e.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic