How do you pronounce it?

I from TN so as long as folks know what your talking about its good! say-guh is how i have always heard it said! like the guns but do care how russians say anything!

I'm sure this thread has been done before but here goes: How do you pronounce Saiga?

I pronounce it Say-guh

So am I wrong?

I found this on Wikipedia: The saiga (Saiga tatarica) is an antelope which originally inhabited a vast area of the Eurasian steppe zone from the foothils of the Carpathians and Caucasus into Dzungaria and Mongolia. They also lived in North America during the Pleistocene. Today they are found only in a few areas in Kalmykia (Russia), Kazakhstan, and western Mongolia.

Makes sense considering their habitat.

• 4 weeks later...

I use to say sigh guh but I was corrected by people who sold me the gun to say sega. Tomato-tomoto

The folks who "corrected" you were wrong. It's more like teaching you to say "nucular" instead of the correct "nuclear." One is just flat wrong. The other isn't.

I speak Russian, incidentally. I worked as an interpreter when I was on active duty in the US military.

• Like 1

I use to say sigh guh but I was corrected by people who sold me the gun to say sega. Tomato-tomoto

The folks who "corrected" you were wrong. It's more like teaching you to say "nucular" instead of the correct "nuclear." One is just flat wrong. The other isn't.

I speak Russian, incidentally. I worked as an interpreter when I was on active duty in the US military.

cool so when i pronounce it "sue-kum-sin" i just called you a what?....nothing personal just seeing if im right :smoke:

I just say "say-ga"

We're in america & everyone seems to say it like that & they look at you like you're retarded then you say "sigh-ga".

So rather than try to say it in a way that makes most people ask me "whaaat?" :huh:, I just say what everyone understands.

"When in Rome...."

• Like 1

cool so when i pronounce it "sue-kum-sin" i just called you a what?....nothing personal just seeing if im right :smoke:

You have it almost correct. It's "sue-kin-sin." Translates to "son-of-a-bitch"

There are three levels of guys. The first level of guys use the wrong terminology, simply because they don't know better. Then when the Level 1 guys get it figured out, they move to Level 2. That's where they enjoy correcting all the Level 1 guys. Then the Level 2 guys eventually get old enough to not care anymore, and move to Level 3. That's where they know what the fuck you're talking about, even when you use the wrong terminology, and don't give a rats ass either way.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

There are three levels of guys. The first level of guys use the wrong terminology, simply because they don't know better. Then when the Level 1 guys get it figured out, they move to Level 2. That's where they enjoy correcting all the Level 1 guys. Then the Level 2 guys eventually get old enough to not care anymore, and move to Level 3. That's where they know what the fuck you're talking about, even when you use the wrong terminology, and don't give a rats ass either way.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Your forgot the Level 4 guys! Those are the ones that know how to pronounce it correctly, but continue to mispronounce it because they don't have the stones to be different from the crowd.

The proper, Russian way to say it is "sigh-GAH", emphasis on the second syllable. It is the name of a type of Antelope that is native to Russia. I have never heard any American pronounce it correctly, but I really don't care because we also don't pronounce many other Russian words correctly.

"Gorbachev" in English sounds significantly different when properly pronounced in Russian, as does "Khrushchev". To go into how and why would take too long.

Sega, as in the video game system is the pronunciation I hear most often.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Your forgot the Level 4 guys! Those are the ones that know how to pronounce it correctly, but continue to mispronounce it because they don't have the stones to be different from the crowd.

I "don't have the stones"???

Do you say every word that's borrowed from another language with the accent of each language of origin?

Do you say croissant, restaurant, or buillon (the broth) while all of a sudden switching to a french accent like a tool?.

Do you call mexico, "Meh-hee-co"?

Welcome to America & the ever changing english language brother. :up:

I'd think you'd have embraced this by now being a linguist & all.

Isn't that what translating is all about? Effective communication?

We here in the great ol' US of A just seem to have changed the pronunciation.

It happens. ^_^

No biggie.

Will's even calling them Say-Guhs on his show & that's where a good percentage of the country first recently heard of them.

Do you think that he knows less about the guns because he says it that way? Or maybe, just maybe, he wants to simply communicate & leave the ego masturbation at the door?

It's not about a lack of sack by any means, it's just about trying to effectively communicate without waisting your time & breaking the person you're speaking to's concentration on the subject at hand in an unnecessary attempt to "educate" them about the pronunciation of a word.

Would a rose by any other name smell less sweet?

Yeah... Sure...

I know the russian pronunciation.

But I don't have a weak ego & feel compelled to fulfill my narcissistic needs by constantly correcting the rest of the country or saying it different than them to subtly correct them. Guys that do that are who "comic book guy" on The Simpsons is based on. It's not a favorable personality trait.

Why disparage other people for effective communication? I take it you're still level 2, right?

Stuff changes Brother.

Sorry to have to break it to you. :haha:

• Like 2

Do you say croissant, restaurant, or buillon (the broth) while all of a sudden switching to a french accent like a tool?.

Just to let you know there is a difference between prononcuation, dialect and accent :rolleyes::P

Plus, saiga is not really a common word(yet) like a restaurant etc. so we still have a chance to teach people how to say it right.

Well actually I do say "Meh-hee-co", depending which language I'm speaking though :haha:

Just please don't call it sega :ded: ...I mean seriously even with english's wierd rules about silent letters it comes no where close.

саЙга

Edited by HappYBallZ

Just to let you know there is a difference between prononcuation, dialect and accent :rolleyes::P

Plus, saiga is not really a common word(yet) like a restaurant etc. so we still have a chance to teach people how to say it right.

Well actually I do say "Meh-hee-co", depending which language I'm speaking though :haha:

Just please don't call it sega :ded: ...I mean seriously even with english's wierd rules about silent letters it comes no where close.

саЙга

I see constantly correcting other's pronunciation in the same light as I see the armchair secretaries who try to discredit perfectly valid & accurate points in a debate by correcting other's spelnig rather than reinforcing their weak arguments.

Pseudointellectualism. Nothing more.

I have an idea.

How about I'll use my energy to research everything about them, innovate new processes & develop some existing processes with sound engineering to bring them to a whole new level & make the guns run like raped apes which makes me feel good, & those who need to, can make themselves feel good with pseudointellectual ego masturbation over trivial topics. :D

People spend more time defending why it's ok to say the word incorrectly than they do saying 'Oh, it's SIGH-Gah? Got it thanks"

Why is it so hard to accept we're not saying it properly, make a simple correction and move on without making it some kind of personal issue?

Z

^ Level 2

People spend more time defending why it's ok to say the word incorrectly than they do saying 'Oh, it's SIGH-Gah? Got it thanks"

Why is it so hard to accept we're not saying it properly, make a simple correction and move on without making it some kind of personal issue?

Z

Because it just sounds better as "say-guh" than "sigh-guh".

It rolls off the tongue more fluently.

Go out to the woods, do a drum dump, let out a maniacal laugh & at the top of your lungs in your deepest voice scream "SAY-GUH TWELVE MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!" getsome.gif Then follow up with another maniacal laugh.

Now do the same, but scream "Sigh-guh 12"

It just sounds gay in comparison.

The only one among us that could pull it off & still sound cool is Keith & that's due to the south african accent.

You just can't talk shit about South africans.They're the 1 group of people that truly appriciate the usefulness of a drummed up semiautomatic 12 gauge shotgun,

(Not to mention a

.)

Anyhow, you know what this thread reminds me of?

I can't be alone here;

Maybe I'm just too "hopey-changey", but it's been workin' for me, so I'll just stick with it. ^_^

But you must admit, out of all the trivial debates we have here, this is one of the more pleasant ones.

• Like 1