My new 12 build up thread.

I got extremely lucky a couple weeks ago and stumbled across this at a local shop, they must have been behind the times because the price was way way low compared to the current market.

This thread will document the build and any mods/changes the gun gets.

Here are stock pics and the first couple mods.

Stock:

DSC01082.jpg

DSC01080.jpg

First mod

Gas fixer and US made plug/piston

DSC01084.jpg

vs stock

DSC01085.jpg

Gas fixer installed, this was quick and easy.

DSC01083.jpg

Next is a set of HK sights

DSC01087.jpg

These will go on this weekend along with the start of the conversion. I will update the thread as progress continues

NY law prohibits a complete "AK" style conversion as semi-auto shotguns can not have a pistol grip. So I have found a thumb-hole stock that will need some trimming to fit but will get the job done. The nice things about converting a shotgun is that you only need 4 US made parts. So the above plug combined with the us made FCG will get me there. Anything else I add is just a bonus.

I have a few mods/changes planned that I feel will be improvements to the platform for my use and fit my personal taste. :snky:

-Brad

Thanks to my welder friend Nick, I was able to make some good progress on the build

tore it down.

DSC01094.jpg

Also took the side mount off.

DSC01095.jpg

it's empty

DSC01096.jpg

Nick filled in all the holes left in the receiver and started getting the HK sights installed

DSC01107.jpg

sights installed.

DSC01110.jpg

Now for the fun.

Where did the charging handle go?

DSC01111.jpg

We turned this

DSC01091.jpg

in to this

DSC01115.jpg

Then I did this

DSC01102.jpg

Nick made some room

DSC01105.jpg

And LHCH is a GO!

DSC01123.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

More coming after the new stock arives, then it will be torn down and blasted.

I was able to get the stock trimmed, sanded, and fit to tonight. What a pain in the ass. But I guess that is what you get when you put a stock for a milled reciever on a stamped gun.... :)

I am not completely happy with the stock as of yet (look or feel), think it will need further modding around the pistol grip to make it a bit more comfortable, and it will definably need a recoil pad to give it a bit more length.

first time all back together.

DSC01135.jpg

other side

DSC01134.jpg

bolt handle

DSC01132.jpg

and one with a 10 rounder :)

DSC01138.jpg

This LHCH is the cats ass, I have never had an AK action so smooth and easy to use. This is a MUST for all you ak guys. TRUST ME!

I am getting closer, but still a good bit of work ahead.

My 22x1.0 tap arrived today and I was able to get my gas block re-threaded (after welding things moved a bit).

Only a few things left.

extended finger tab on the safety bar

extended mag release (right hand side only)

Then test fire it and tear it all down to be blasted and coated. I am not set on what coating I am going to use yet, I am thinking a combination of Hard chrome and black oxide.

The front hand guard might change too, I have been talking with a guy that makes some real nice ones BUT they are to heavy IMO.

• Like 2

Interesting build... pretty cool though, thanks for the pics. Are you left or right handed? Just curious as to why the mod...

I am right handed and the LHCH allows for faster reloads and malfunction clearing while comfortably keeping the firearm in my "work space" without reaching across my body or better yet my face.

Edited by bpipe95

certain thumbhole stocks just look nice, and that I believe is one of them... Cant wait to see how it looks finished :killer:

I have only seen one that looks like it could possibly be better, but it would take way to much dicking around if I was even able to get my hands on one. I think I will end up "bedding" this stock later on, just to improve the over all fit of it.

A note about the stock, if you want to use this stock you need to get a longer 4.5" grip screw.

I guess it pays to shoot lefty when your shooting an AK :super: And my friends wondered why I could lock a new mag in and rack the bolt as quick as I can

LOL its like having a gun setup just how you want out of the box :smoke: (with Ak's anyway :lolol: bolt guns hate me :cryss: )

• 4 weeks later...

Two pics from tonight.

DSC01157.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

I also started fitting my houge buttpad to my Stock end plate adapter that I CNC'd for this stock as none one makes anything for it. I found that I need a better sander for the buttpad.

SGM and promag fitted, and magwell installed.

Next is one more test run before I break it all down and blast it and coat it.

Looks great. With as much effort as you are putting forth on this project, you should ditch the factory trigger guard and rivet an AK trigger guard on there. It appears that you are quite talented with your hands and it would be a piece of cake for you. AK Builder is a good resource for trigger guard, selector stop, and rivets.

Looks great. With as much effort as you are putting forth on this project, you should ditch the factory trigger guard and rivet an AK trigger guard on there. It appears that you are quite talented with your hands and it would be a piece of cake for you. AK Builder is a good resource for trigger guard, selector stop, and rivets.

I like the flow of the stock one and it happens to already be welded in place, opps.... :)

But the magwell makes for an awesome selector stop. Way better than my original plans. 2 birds 1 stone.

Interesting build... pretty cool though, thanks for the pics. Are you left or right handed? Just curious as to why the mod...

I am right handed and the LHCH allows for faster reloads and malfunction clearing while comfortably keeping the firearm in my "work space" without reaching across my body or better yet my face.

I know exactly what you mean. I have often thought the bolt handle would be better on the left side despite the fact that I am right handed. Thanks for the cool build idea!

jmDove

lol, I hate those side rails so much! The worst part is I don't even know why... :)

I can't stand them either. Looks clunky. Looks far more streamlined w/out it.

Build looks good! :smoke:

• 1 month later...

looks like I finally have this build about wrapped up. Here is a quick pic after I finished with the blasting and coating.

I am really happy with both builds pictured. It took some time but other than a couple of welds they are all me. It was fun to work with another platform after doing so many AR's.

2.jpg

S12 on top all shiny and Gaudy :) s223 on bottom sporting od green and black.

I have a slr95 stock if anybody wants it for $5 membership + $25 USPS MO

Fixed it for you. You have to become a contributor before you can sell things on the site.

Edited by evlblkwpnz