I order the below custom blade directly from Michael Stevenson, blacksmith, just over three weeks ago. He fabricates these "Primitive D-Guard Dueling Bowie" knives from spring steel. . . and the friggen thing is enormous! Just what every true-blooded American male needs for an EotW or SHTF or Zombie outbreak or whateverthehell event. :lolol:

The knife's overall length is 18 inches, and the blade length is 12 inches. I asked him to sharpen the top edge of the knife, but one can have that edge false as well.

Whadda think?

CIMG4617.jpg

CIMG4610.jpg

CIMG4616.jpg

Oh. . . and it ran $375 which included the leather sheath and shipping. Not too bad for a custom handcrafted Bowie (although personally, I think of it as being more of a short sword, easily strapped to one's leg for carry).

~Gary

:rolleyes:

Edited by Gary
  • Like 5

Very nice and deffinantly worth every penny.

Being a Farrier, I've been toying with the idea of making knives from my used rasps. Though I tend towards Scrama Sax styling, Bowies are handy too.

Being a Farrier, I've been toying with the idea of making knives from my used rasps. Though I tend towards Scrama Sax styling, Bowies are handy too.

The best straight razors were made from the shoes of horses that pulled wagons over cobblestone streets, the cold forging made steel with a great grain structure! Should make great knives too! Old rasps are great for making tools and should make decent knives. I have a bearing scraper I made out of an old saw file and have used for 30 years or so without re sharpening it!

• Like 1

The best straight razors were made from the shoes of horses that pulled wagons over cobblestone streets, the cold forging made steel with a great grain structure! Should make great knives too! Old rasps are great for making tools and should make decent knives. I have a bearing scraper I made out of an old saw file and have used for 30 years or so without re sharpening it!

I disagree, G.O.B.

The finest iron ore on the planet is in Japan. The most experienced blade forgers are also from Japan. If that wonderful pig sticker is not heat treated then polished properly, the rockwelL rating would render it useless.

Steel is the heart of A blade. Heat treating is the soul.

Spyderco and Kanetsune rule!

I disagree, G.O.B.

The finest iron ore on the planet is in Japan. The most experienced blade forgers are also from Japan. If that wonderful pig sticker is not heat treated then polished properly, the rockwelL rating would render it useless.

Steel is the heart of A blade. Heat treating is the soul.

Spyderco and Kanetsune rule!

I was going by Grandfather, he used a Sheffield straight razor into his 80's. He said that they held the sharpest edge because they were made from the shoes of dray horses. He was the one who taught me to rivet, and hammer weld, as well as 'spark testing' steel on a grinder to find the carbon content and how to draw and temper homemade steel tools.

• 1 month later...

I'm new here but came across this post while doing a google search.

This knife is forged from 1095 carbon steel rod.

The initial or primary edge is roll hammered during the firing.

Once the overall profile and primary bevel is achieved the blade is

brought to a red glow and quenched in strained, used motor oil.

Test pieces are used to find the right mix (hard enough to break without

planking).

The blade is then brought back up in temp. till the edge can be struck with a

file (but left unsharpened).

Once the knife is finished the blade is sharpened (never polished).

They hold an edge well.

Mike

• Like 1

Did you know that it wasn't Jim Bowie that invented the Bowie knife... it was actually his older brother. Jim Bowie made it "famous" when he used it to kill a man defending himself in a fight!

"and now you know the rest of the story"

Yeh, the knife is great ... just fucking wonderful!

Now tell us about the tomahawk, please.

Okay. . . here's a weblink to the forum thread that I started on 20 June 2010, on how I put this hawk together: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/55539-anyone-into-tomahawks/

The spiked hawk's head was forged by Craig Barr and is of damascus steel. I purchased the head off of eBay (Craig sells them from there, as well as knife blade blanks. . . at least he used to). I procured the unfinished hickory hawk handle from some website, and stained it in dark oak oil stain and applied clear satin Miniwax polyurethane to protect it. Lastly, I procured a spool of rawhide 'ribbon' and after letting the rawhide soak in warm water for approximately thirty minutes, I immediatly soaked it in dark brown oil leather stain, just before wrapping and stretching it around the hawk's handle. I performed two wrappings of the oil stained rawhide ribbon on my hawk (the second wrapping I conducted in the opposite direction of the first).

That's about all I can think to convey about my custom Craig Barr hawk. Here are a few more photos of just the hawk: (Double-click on the images to make them larger.)

post-4853-0-67054900-1311187640_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-49687600-1311187660_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-88864800-1311187681_thumb.jpg

~Gary

Edited by Gary