Pretty simple question. Most folks would consider carrying more then one gun in a SHTF situation, some even carry two for hunting. What are your magic couplings? I've always loved the replies and reasoning that I've seen on other forums, what about here on S12?

go.

• Like 1

Serious SHTF situation. My S12 with 20 rd MD drum, My Saiga 7.62 with the ace side folder and 75 rd drum and my Glock 17 with the 33 rd donkey dick.

Yeah it would be heavy, but that's 128 rds ready to go in three guns. I can't imagine a situation where this would be needed, but it's sure comforting to know it's there.000.gif

cool question

I didn't 1st think of this in as a SHTF thing I was just going on my thing for have only one ammo for the long gun and the pistol.

In the 70s I had a 44 super black hawk and one of rugers 44 semi auto carbines for brush hunting in Texas. Both gone along with the red hawk.

Went to various 357 revolvers (DAs and SAs) and a 357 winchester trapper, as it became less hunting more plinking and a short trip to cowboy action shooting. All the old ones are gone but I picked up a colt SAA in 357 a little while back.

Now a glock and a mech tech ccu chambered in 9mm for plinking, some protection, and the rare trip to a 3 gun match. Have a few pistols and am looking at getting a carbine in 40 cal. This is to a large degree my SHTF stuff cause you only need 1 ammo and can use the same mags in both guns.

For a while I had a 20 and a 12 ga remington 1100 special fields (English stocks and 21" barrels) just kept the 20.

Edited by 20-Mags

My collection isnt as good as most but in a SHTF situation if on the move by myself Id forsure have the S12, My draco SBR, and my olyM4. Why, S12 for CQC, x39 for shooting through walls, knock down power and CQC, and the m4 for distance and prolly my Taurus9mm. Not sure if thats the best combo or not, it does sound like alot of guns to lug around. Ill have to try that out one day.

If I was going to stay in one place id have all my guns and ammo

I do have a pair for hunting, it is my Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver and my Marlin lever action in .44 mag. Big boom that puts anything down! Plus the benefit of using the same ammo!

If I were in a SHTF situation, and defending myself from others, I would honestly grab my Saiga .308 and my loaded mags, and my Glock22 in .40 cal.

I would only choose the glock over my 1911 because of round count before reloading. As for the rifle, The saiga .308 will fuck up anyone's day!

I would add though, my S-12 is my first choice for being hunkered down in a house, but not for "on the go"

Close quarters: 19" S12 (or Tromix S17 someday) and Glock 20

Farther out: DPMS LR308 AP4 with TA01B Acog and G20.

Hiking: G20, soon to be paired with a .45 Osprey.

Hunting: Looking for a bolt gun in 30-06 to slap a can on and packing my G20 as a back up. If an '06 can't kill it, you best be running.

I love 10mm Auto, it's the best option for an autoloader IMHO. It's good for everything short of brown bears.

If I'm back in AK, I carry my Mossberg 500 with 3" Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs for bear medicine while hiking. I'm thinking about getting a 45-70 guide gun since recoil isn't an issue.

I agree completely on the choice of 10mm, del. The G20 is a damn fine pistol.

My pairing would be G20 with S-308 if out "in the country", or G20 with 7.62x39 in a more urban environment. At even closer quarters, (e.g. clearing a building), I'd go with the S-12 over the x39.. still with the G20 on my hip.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Long Range: HK-91 (6-10 x 30 scope, fore-grip, laser, tac light, 30 rd mags) Pics in my gallery.

Medium Range: Colt CAR-15 short barrel / long flash supressor (no attachments, DRUM, 40-rd mags) That's it in my avatar pic!

Short Range: Colt 1911 (clean, built between 1912 & 1913)

Maybe my S12 too if I didn't have to hump all this shit too far. 12 gauge takes up a lot of space though.

Edited by VULCANGUNNER

It depends on how bad the SHTF is. If it were a "Book of Eli" situation you have to think about gun lube. Something simple, light, an effective hunting tool, and lethal. I would honestly carry a Dual caliber rifle, 12 gauge/22lr. You can carry 1,000's of rounds of 22lr and after a decade of chaos everybody will be out and you have 3 bricks worth in your pack. Id use the 12 gauge for hunting. And i would carry a 22lr revolver. This is if society has been over for decades, clean oil is nowhere to be found, and everyone became nomads.

But my fantasy load out for SHTF would be my NORINCO MAK-90, Serbu super shorty 12 gauge, and a Glock 19. IMO

Edited by foreign firearm fiend

Great thread idea! I'm a fan of multiple guns/same caliber.

1) .44mag revolver and 10 shot lever action.

2) 7.62x25 Yugo M57 and PPS-43. That combo is my favorite right now.

3) .22mag Kel Tec PMR-30 and Marlin scoped bolt action.

4) .22lr in 3 different pistols and a Remington 597.

5) And of coarse, my Mosin and S-12 make a great 1-2 punch, not the same caliber though.

6) I need a .45acp carbine to pair up with my 1911. I'm leaning towards a Masterpiece Arms Mac-10 carbine.

For simple survival (hunting & SD) I've always wanted to get a 45-70 H&R buffalo classic and the Magnum Research bfr. Easy to field reload, and will drop just about anything out to 600 yards. Can retrieve bullet to make a new one and the brass hardly ever goes bad. Just need primers and powder. And from what I understand powder can also be made for them since they shoot both black and modern gun powder. Can also make buckshot ammo.

Of course a .22 wouldn't hurt.

But this is for more like Davy Crocket, Quibly down under survival. Mostly hunting with a possibility of SD. Not for zombies or mad max type survival

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

For simple survival (hunting & SD) I've always wanted to get a 45-70 H&R buffalo classic and the Magnum Research bfr. Easy to field reload, and will drop just about anything out to 600 yards. Can retrieve bullet to make a new one and the brass hardly ever goes bad. Just need primers and powder. And from what I understand powder can also be made for them since they shoot both black and modern gun powder. Can also make buckshot ammo.

Of course a .22 wouldn't hurt.

But this is for more like Davy Crocket, Quibly down under survival. Mostly hunting with a possibility of SD. Not for zombies or mad max type survival

You mentioned Mad Max AND zombies in the same post!

Very cool.

Close: S12

Med: S308

sitting on top of a WV mountain: RPK, lots of drums&ammo

Us too, if it gets that bad, you can look for us down by the Big Bend Tunnel!

Watching all the approaches with a host of assorted .30 cal goodness, a .50, and lots of good glass.

I like to pair a semi and a bolt in the same caliber. Even bought an old Mossy bolt to keep the s-12 company! The S-.308 has a Spanish civil Mauser and an Issy Enfield. Still need a semi for the 8MM Mauser's to keep company with, and a bolt in 7.62-39 to play with the AK's and SKS. Need a turn bolt .22 to go with the AR-7.

Damn you guys are gonna make me poor!

Wow, a lot of people not completely understanding the meaning of "pair" you guys have ambitious expectations of what you can haul. I was expecting more people to say some sort of handgun rifle combo.

I think i'd have to go with my MAK-90 and My sig229 with 40 and 357sig barrels. I won't be shooting the moon, but It's a load I could carry with extra ammo.

• Like 1

I had assumed this was about longarm/sidearm combos, but some posts had me concerned. Some of the proposed loadouts would require some sort of golf bag to carry!

Anyway, my SSR-85c is always the most accessible rifle in my safe and XD 45 is always with me, but I do have emergency bags made up for my 16" AR and .223 Saiga as well.

I also like pairing leeks and bacon.

I'd go with my Taurus PT145 and my new RPK(esp once bullpupped), Once I get the S12 bullpup redone(yes still working on the new stock kit, sorry, been busy) I may SBS itas well and add it for clearing.

If I could only have two for survival, I might go with my S&W .357 and my old Marlin .22lr.

TARE-I kind of assumed that's the direction it was headed too, but I guess not. Of course I don't mind a topic going off in to something else, this was more of the "what can you carry when SHTF on your person without falling down?". No game carts, no super cycles, no trucks, just your person and a bag.

I've been running a 7.62 Krink and a Bolt Gun for some time and I kinda think of them as a "Magic Pairing" for the options they offer me but as soon as I finally get my optics mounting and a few other inconsistencies ironed out on my 3rd attempt at the Saiga 308 I may call the S308 and Krink the "Magic Pairing".Identical controls and a very similar feel with the Krink and a vest full of waffle mags for all of my 0-200M work with the Scoped Saiga 308 in a pack scabbard for when I need to go prone and take some longer shots.I may miss the light weight of something like a Remington LTR or Savage 10PC but when your life is at stake you can't compromise on the ability to have quick follow up shots if you miss a critical target the first time around.

I see a lot of people love the S12 for their SHTF loadout and I do love them with all my little jew heart but for me shotguns are something for cleaning up around the house during peace time when I actually give a crap about neighbors and lawsuits and other assorted BS. When the S really HTF it's time for some brick busting, truck stopping mad penetrations in the smallest,highest capacity package possible paired something longer legged to nail potshotting wannabe assassins and maybe put some game on the table.

There,those are my opinions.They didn't cost you a dime so take them for what they are worth :smoke:

• Like 1

Well put SOPMOD! Shotguns tend to be reveled for SHTF as the super weapon by some and I couldn't disagree more. Great for HD, good for hunting not so good against assault rifles. The ammo weighs a ton in comparison to rifle and pistol ammo also.

PSL and a CZ75, Five-seveN. Because that's all I've got right now. If the PSL won't drop it, I need to run.

Should get a shotgun for birds and burglars, though.

Gob, I've seen this interesting Egyptian 8mm Mauser semi-auto for sale, think it's called a Hakim.

Well put SOPMOD! Shotguns tend to be reveled for SHTF as the super weapon by some and I couldn't disagree more. Great for HD, good for hunting not so good against assault rifles. The ammo weighs a ton in comparison to rifle and pistol ammo also.

I agree completely!I keep 250rds of #4 Buckshot for "cleaning up" and almost as much 00 Buckshot for taking it out into the yard or the street but if that didn't solve my problem then there is a RAV loaded with 7.62 waffle mags on a wooden peg in the hall closet with a 7.62 Saiga propped in the corner right beneath it. I used to be a big shotgun nut and even before my Saiga 12 exposure had a couple of Benelli M1s that I was quite handy with.It wasn't until I started doing some testing on an old house with a caved in roof and some old vehicles that I realized just how limited the penetration and effective range of a shotgun really was.A shotgun won't penetrate a kid's playground slide at 50 feet or the door of an older car at similar ranges. That is great when you want to make sure your shots don't tear up the houses or accidentally kill the neighbors but when it's on and there won't be cops showing up in a few minutes to stabilize the situation you need to be able to shoot through the door jambs,floors,stairwells and vehicles to get anyone with the bad sense to bring violence to your dwelling place.

As an aside my wife loves shotguns and outside of me building her a 5.45 krink I think her "Magic Pairing" would be an M4gery and a Saiga 12 and no amount of logical discussion seems to put a dent in her choices.