My Saiga 12 was my first firearm and I'm ready to purchase my second, which I want to be a handgun. I've been looking at the Springfield XDM .45, but with all of the glock talk around here I am starting to look into a Glock 30. The overall goal is to get something that's comfortable, somewhat concealable, high capacity, reliable, and accurrate.

From what I gathered the advantages are:

XDM - Comfortable, high capacity, accurrate

G30 - Concealable, reliable

I give the XDM the advantage in accurracy because of the match-grade barrel...? I rented both at the range and loved them both. The springfield fits my hand a little better, but the difference isn't huge. I was a little more acurrate with the Springfield. The 2 things that put the G30 back in the running for me is the legendary Glock reliability, and the fact that it's nice and compact. Is the springfield as reliable as the glock? I've seen impressive torture tests for both!

Thoughts?

I own a XD 45 which I really like for the price. Picked up a HK45 for my son a few weeks ago for basically double what the XD was. You get what you pay for, the HK blows the XD in the weeds (Which it should) on comfort, weight and accuracy while only having a 10 round mag.

But I have never used a Glock, so i guess I am impaired :shame:

My two cents is get the XDM or better yet go try and get a HK45 :red_heart:

Edited by Dad2142Dad
  • Like 1

I'm a Glock guy, through and through. But since you already did the right thing and tried them both, and you say that the XD felt better in your hands and were more accurate with it, I think the choice is clear. Get the XD. When I wanted a .45, it came down to the XD45 and the Glock 21, and the main reason I ended up with the Glock 21 was pricing (thanks to my FFL who found me a great deal). If it hadn't been for that, I would most likely have picked up the XD.

• Like 1

First off what is the pistol going to be for I am assuming concealed carry since concealability was a factor. secondly how accurate does it have to be if you are just going to carry it, also the glock stock sights are not the best so that may have been a factor on the gun you tested. Yes glocks are very reliable so are xd's but if I had to pick I would get the glock and that is just personal preference for me.

Glock- simple, easy to use with just trigger safety, parts are cheaper, will probably outlive you unless you shoot that much. Ak-47 of the gun world

XDM- grip safety, better grip angle, better accuracy, better factory sights.

all in all I would not get to excited about the match barrel unless you are planning on competing with it, if I am carrying I want the loosest sloppiest barrel possible so It will fire whatever whenever. especially if my ass is on the line.

So if you want a good range gun get the xdm, if you want something that is really reliable, cheap parts,concealed carry, and will go bang no matter what you feed it buy the glock. Either way you cannot lose.

Edited by dashowdy

I like Glocks due to the low bore axis and no external safety however the G30 is my least favorite. This may sound weird but because of my build the G21 hides better than the G30 as the barrel length holds the grip against my body better! As far as their .45acp goes the G36 is the way to go(PERSONAL PREFERENCE)!

all this being said I carry a G17 cut down to hold G19 mags.

:2c: ,

Dave

I am with Shooter on the "get the more comfortable/accurate" of the two.

I personally am a Glock guy and I love my 21 & 30, but I can shoot them extremely well and I train with Glocks for defensive carry and I hate external safeties that can inadvertently be activated in the heat of the moment. My booger picker is my safety!

One thing to keep in mind on the XD's is that the grip safety also unlocks the slide, so in order to clear the weapon you need two hands (i.e. one on the grip safety, one on the slide). It is my main beef and reason for not owning an XD as I feel this is un-necessary since even the 1911 doesn't require it.

+1 that HK45's are very comfortable.

Brand names and little features are no substitute for being able to put the bullet on the mark!! Get the one that feels good and shoots good for YOU.

Personally, I chose Glocks due to the simplicity of cleaning, durability and lightweight for taking into the woods with a high round capacity. Also I got great deals on Police pistols with night sights that looked to have Very few rounds through them.

I shoot the Glocks well and I only shoot my full size 1911 better, but it weighs in at around, oh, a thousand freakin pounds!!

XD...

#1: 4th gen Glocks have MAJOR issues. Check the model out and do research before.

#2: The Glock grip angle is "wrong" for most American shooters who grew up with the 1911 grip angle.

#3: The Glock fanclub has been annoying for a very long time. :lolol:

In all honesty, either will serve you well. The grip feel and model issues will be a subjective choice for you to make.

• Like 1

Neither. Get a FNP40 or FNP45. I have the FN USG model .40 cal. Three mags, 14 round capacity, and it's a reliable, accurate pistol made here in the USA... :super:

you beat me to it. i cant agree more. my fnp 45 is by far the most accurate .45 i shot to date. even over the usp i just picked up. i was suprised. i got mine with the decocker only. and its around the same price as the ones your looking at or less.

its hard to beat FN. Hk is great, but their customer service blows and they cost a lot. i personally dont feel their customer service justifies their hefty price tag new. i shot an xd 3 weeks ago and it was nice. just not for me.

on second thought, the fnp 45 may not suit your concealability desire. its a full size pistol.

id go with the glock. i like my 23 rtf.

Edited by Captain Hero

Hes in IL, specifically Cook County, There is NO (NONE) carry in this state of constitutional abortions, not CC or OC

Isnt Crook County limited to 10rd mag capacity?

I've never fired a Glock or XD but i agree with the guys who said look into FN Herstal. I have the FNP45 USG and my brother picked up an FNX9. They are both fantastic pistols, i like them so much that i'm going to eventually get an FNX40! Hopefully they all have a 3-way and pop out a little baby compact FNX.

The FNP45 is also available with 10rd mags if needed in Crook County.

Another thing is FNH is soon to be releasing a striker fired double action only version, called the FNS.

Be warned tho, FNH's customer service has taken a turn for the worse in the last 9-12 months. They still handle things but there have been some "stories" as of late. Since Browning has taken over that side of FNH, is when it all went down hill.

A BIG PLUS in my book, like said before ....FNH= MADE IN THE USA! :super:

Edited by Mullet Man

I carry the FNP-9. I looked at several pistols and kept going back to FN. I've had 0 problems out of it. So I'm gonna suggest looking into FN products. I prefer external hammers over striker. The ergo of a walther are nice as well.

Edited by dayofruin

I originally choose a XD-45 over a Glock 21 because I liked the way it fit my hand. I also did some research and saw an article about the soon to be released XD-45 sub-compact. I wanted magazine interchangeability and couldn't wait to get a sub-compact in 45ACP

I quickly realized that the article was really old and that Springfield had no intention of making a sub-compact 45.

I called the company a couple months ago and they confirmed that they would not be making a sub-compact 45 so I took a second look at the 21SF. It felt identical to an XD in my hand, I guess taking 5mm off the back strap helped.

I now have 7 Gen 3 Glocks (had 8 but sold one) and plan to buy a couple more.

Springfield should re-think their marketing strategies.

Edited by Boba Debt

Hes in IL, specifically Cook County, There is NO (NONE) carry in this state of constitutional abortions, not CC or OC

Be warned tho, FNH's customer service has taken a turn for the worse in the last 9-12 months. They still handle things but there have been some "stories" as of late. Since Browning has taken over that side of FNH, is when it all went down hill.

that sucks. i take it Bob is no longer the CS manager? that will blow. he sent me 3 hats and 2 shirts for absolutley nothing. all i did was ask him how i can obtain these items.

that sucks. i take it Bob is no longer the CS manager? that will blow. he sent me 3 hats and 2 shirts for absolutley nothing. all i did was ask him how i can obtain these items.

Nope, word is he and some others were shit canned, along with FNH's awesome customer service.

Nope, word is he and some others were shit canned, along with FNH's awesome customer service.

damn. that does suck. i know it doesnt reflect the quality of their weapons, but that still sucks. thanks for the info.

Edited by Captain Hero

One thing to keep in mind on the XD's is that the grip safety also unlocks the slide, so in order to clear the weapon you need two hands (i.e. one on the grip safety, one on the slide).

As long as there's a solid object the shooter can use to press back the slide, the XD can be field stripped with one hand. That said, that ability was never considered when I bought both of mine.

Poly pistols have arrived. Any model from just about any reputable manufacturer will serve the user well. I'm of the opinion that really the only things to consider are how a specific gun will fit in the shooter's hand, under the shooter's coat, and into the shooter's budget. I really wanted to like Glocks, but I just couldn't do it. They are fine and excellent guns, but they just didn't feel right to me. I really wanted to let myself be used by H&K, but I just couldn't afford it. Springfield XDs just happened to hit all the right chords with me. Any failings I might have, i.e. not being Glocky enough or wealthy enough, were compensated for by the XD.

Try one before you buy one, and you'll get the right one for you.

• Like 1

The guys over at the FAL Files said Bob with FNH retired. Awesome guy, sent me some nice FN swag free of charge too.

Look,even if someone claims to have had a little bad experience with their customer service I would still recommend FNH. I compared XD, Ruger, Taurus, and yes even Glock - and still chose FN! You simply can't beat the features and extras FNH gives you on their weapons anywhere else...

• Like 1

The guys over at the FAL Files said Bob with FNH retired. Awesome guy, sent me some nice FN swag free of charge too.

Look,even if someone claims to have had a little bad experience with their customer service I would still recommend FNH. I compared XD, Ruger, Taurus, and yes even Glock - and still chose FN! You simply can't beat the features and extras FNH gives you on their weapons anywhere else...

I could've sworn i read over on FNforum.net that he was fired. It doesnt matter either way, i still recommend FN's to people. I agree, they offer more features for the buck then any other pistol available IMO!

i just like the fact of having a full size pistol with external hammer and no manual safety. the only downside to me carrying my fnp is that holster selection is still kinda non existant.

one thing about glock that i like is that the aftermarket accessories is rediculious. im not sure how it is on the xd. never really looked into it.

i just like the fact of having a full size pistol with external hammer and no manual safety. the only downside to me carrying my fnp is that holster selection is still kinda non existant.

Well i have 3 for mine, A DeSantis lined with thumb break, a High Noon Holsters lined "Slide Guard" model and the Factory FN/Bladetech Shooters pack piece. I'm going to put a bunch of pics and info up in the next day or two on FNForums.net, about the holsters. The DeSantis and HNH leather holsters are nice additions! They are starting to pop up from the big names now, especially since the FNX is gaining popularity.

Mine is USG, so it has the manual safety.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

I recommend the Glock. A FN .45 will cost you ~2x what the Glock would, and you can buy a lot of reloading supplies/factory ammo/mags and other accessories for ~$550. ;) Glocks are also some of the most customizable pistols in the world.

I sold a G-30 in '09 and though I don't regret it, (sold it to buy a SGL21-62), I miss that little pistol. She was accurate as hell, (especially considering the 3.78" barrel), and had very little recoil.

I recommend the Glock. A FN .45 will cost you ~2x what the Glock would, and you can buy a lot of reloading supplies/factory ammo/mags and other accessories for ~$550. ;) Glocks are also some of the most customizable pistols in the world.

Cost 2 times as much as a Glock, WTF are you talking about?

EDIT; You must be referencing the FNP45 Tactical which is about 1K. The standard FNP45 or FNP45 USG can be had for $500-$600, with 3 15rd mags.

Edited by Mullet Man

Cost 2 times as much as a Glock, WTF are you talking about?

EDIT; You must be referencing the FNP45 Tactical which is about 1K. The standard FNP45 or FNP45 USG can be had for $500-$600, with 3 15rd mags.

Yep, I meant the FNP 45 Tactical. I should have been more specific. I didn't know about the less expensive models. 'Scuse my ignorance. :blush:

i dont own a compact,but i recently purchest an xdm 5.25 9mm and it is fantastic.the only thing i dont like about it is the grip safty,when you clear the chamber , i turn it sideways and eject the unused round in my hand ,on the springfield the slide wont go back if the grip safty is not pushed in .still working on a new way to clear the thing and not drop unused bullet on the ground