Whats your fav in a handgun, .40 or .45?

There's too little difference between modern 9mm and .40, so I'd have to opt for .45 from your choices. I guess I just don't see the point in .40 anymore, aside from mass availability and commonality. I ended up selling my G23. The gun itself ran like a champ, but I decided to consolidate to .45 and 9mm.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Given the choices in the original topic, that is .40 or .45, I'd go with a .45, specifically a custom built full size 1911 on a Caspian ( i.e. US made) frame and slide. If 230 grain ball .45acp won't stop 'em, nothing much else would be inclined to do so either.

My feelings toward the .40S&W are somewhat tepid. It has its merits, but I can't help shake the feeling that it's just a designed-to-be-anemic version of the 10mm. And while the 10mm holds a special place in the cockles of my heart, but my love of .45 ACP is even greater.

• Like 1

9mm. Ammo is common and cheap, and more fit in the mag vs a .45. Glock 19 is compact, easily consealable, and very light weight, can hold 15+1 rounds. And you can put it through hell and it will still fire. And another big bonus of the 9mm round is the light, snappy recoil. Next time you have a chance to compare, check how long it takes you to re-aquire your target in the same gun, 9mm vs .45. The 9mm snaps right back on target, as the .45 takes a moment.

Edited by phyregod

This was a gift from my father... and my first .45. If the choice of 9mm were here, that's what i have the most of. but, i wanted to share this.

post-32279-0-51390400-1322453164_thumb.jpg

I see you've still got some black talon there, too bad the media saw to the end of that. You just had that stored and aren't still buying it right?

This was a gift from my father... and my first .45. If the choice of 9mm were here, that's what i have the most of. but, i wanted to share this.

post-32279-0-51390400-1322453164_thumb.jpg

I see you've still got some black talon there, too bad the media saw to the end of that. You just had that stored and aren't still buying it right?

Certainly didn't buy it! LOL! I got it from my uncle who bought up a bunch of it before it was discontinued. I had wanted to buy some until I saw the crazy price on gunbroker.

If you have to use ball ammo, then the .45 is a better option. The .40 has considerable velocity advantage and when the bullet is not slowed down through expansion or tumbling, it will create an almost non-existent temporary cavity (leaving only a .4" permanent cavity to create blood loss) and not dump the full amount of energy into the target (which means over penetration too).

If you can use hollow points, then either .40 or .45 can reach the desired penetration (with the right bullet - usually 10-12") and both can reliably expand to create (again bullet dependent - see denim testing on ballistics gel) a large temporary cavity which shocks and disrupts the vital internal organs which is the only other instant take down besides hitting the central nervous system.

There are advantages to both calibers and recoil-wise, the .45 is more of a push than is the .40 which is more like a slap. However, the .45 is usually lower capacity and sometimes a large bulky firearm that is harder to carry concealed.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 1

Why only ball ammo? I never use ball ammo unless I'm at the range. Hollow point SD ammo should be used for any defensive handgun IMO.

However given this restriction Id say .45 simply b/c .40 ball ammo will severely over penetrate and could cause a big problem.

Or 9mm -- just ask the troops who use it most...

That's for sure. I've talked to several Marines who have used it in combat and they are basically of the opinion that it would be better to throw the gun at their assailant before firing a shot because it would have more weight before you shoot any bullets. That is with ball ammo of course, but ball is what was stipulated.

Why only ball ammo? I never use ball ammo unless I'm at the range. Hollow point SD ammo should be used for any defensive handgun IMO.

However given this restriction Id say .45 simply b/c .40 ball ammo will severely over penetrate and could cause a big problem.

I'm with you. Ball is for practice, period. If you are going to the time and trouble of defending you and yours, I see no practical reason whatsoever to intentionally limit yourself with ammo made to punch paper instead of stopping assailants.