JLD built PTR91-Opinions on selling this rifle

I didn't start a poll, because my new years resolution is to be less obnoxious. I just want some decent discussion on what I should do with this thing. Its the most expensive, least shot rifle in my safe. i'm in the process of buying a house, and figure I could get some money for the rifle but I don't know if I really want to part with it. its a 2000 year according to the serial #, and didn't have a threaded barrel. Azex threaded it for me, i've gathered up about 20 mags, put a wide foregrip on it, shell deflector, handle and HK 3 point sling.

I think if I hold onto it for a while, I can probably get more in the pre-election madness. But I really don't want to part with it in the first place. I never shoot it, sometimes I point it at things while i'm sitting in the couch.

2012-01-23215045.jpg

Well I would love to have one, but not more than my Saiga 12. It is expensive to feed, but it is really cool. Maybe go shoot it again and then decied. A little bit of range time usually settles my decitions on weather oor not to sell an item. Really sweet rifle though.

• Like 1

I've let a couple things go before that I regret now. An SLR-106-FR in sand in particular. I kinda needed the cash but could have gone without it and I got $100 over what I paid. I liked the gun a l liked it a lot but didn't shoot it. It pretty much came down to what I thought I needed more at the time. Will the money help you get into your house and will you be satisfied with your decision? The only safe queens I have are gifts from my father that I'll never sell.

I have sold 2 CETMEs and a G3 I regret selling any of them. I could have got more at any time that I sold them. Friends just pestered until I sold them. Now I wish I had them back. Oh well live and learn. That platform aside from AK has to be the most reliable.

If I had to pick one weapon that I would have in my arsenal it would be what you have.

If having the cash is more important than having a gun that you never shoot and only look at/fondle once in a while, sell it. A lot of people see guns as an investment anyway. You can pick up another ptr after things settle down with the move if you want one.

From what you said, it almost sounds like me with the SLR. The cash helped ease my mind because I was broke. The money went for bills that I could have paid later, without getting behind. But it was a nice gun that I never shot.

I am going to say that buying a house is a much better investment than holding onto a gun that you don't shoot. If it will be the thing that gets you into a home, then without a doubt sell it.

The difference in your tax refund the first year after buying a house will pay for another one or two of these!

If the election hysteria happens again, it will eventually simmer and dudes that were willing to pay $2,000 for these will eventually saturate the market with the shit they paid top dollar for.

i've almost always regretted selling a gun for cash, unless i really, really didn't like the gun to begin with. trades, however, have always seemed to work out in my favor. I say pack the thing to a gun show, and see if you can get a trade+cash for something you want, like maybe a cool pistol plus several hundred bucks.

I too have a PTR91 and a Cetme in the safe that rarely see day light. While I have killed a deer with the Cetme, the PTR rarely even sees range time. I have been debating parting with them. Every once in awhile I see a Cetme for sale at an astronaomical price and think, well if anyone is actually dumb enough to pay $900 for a Cetme, I'll sell mine. But I have never gotten around to actually putting it up for sale. Like someone said above, maybe I'll just hold them until the next gun grab runs the price up, then think about selling again.

BTW - if you reload that cuts the cost of feeding them in half. If you cast your own bullets, that drops the price another 50% so long as you can find a sufficient supply of lead....

As much as I want to tell you to sell it and I might have a chance to buy it.

I say keep it, get pennys from something, OL rings is a good place to start. (DO NOT TELL MY OL I SAID THAT)

If your buying a house and you've already blown your money on a down payment......

Your going to need extra cash, I guarantee it. Little things will need to be fixed before they become big things, this closing cost or that closing cost will bite you in the rear, and you need a little nest egg in case anything goes wrong (DON'T MISS A MORTGAGE PAYMENT!).

It's just a gun, not your first born. I used to live by the motto "never sell a gun"......then I sold a ton of'em and realized how little I actually NEED versus how many I WANT. Unless your plan is to arm your whole neighborhood don't get in the habit of buying and feeding a bunch of guns the first year you buy a house.

• Like 2

Yeah, man that's basically what i'm talking about, just a small slush fund incase something fucks up. Also, the payments are going to bw a bit higher until I can get my homestead status in place.

The good and the bad all come at once but it gets a hell of alot better once you know what to expect. It took us a year to figure out a general idea of about how much we needed in the "emergency fund" just to keep the bills current for three months. Stupid bills cuttin in to my fun money!

If you have other guns you enjoy shooting and need house cash then why not sell it. (But keep something). I sold off everything after the AWB went into effect to buy my house-everything was not a good choice. 20 years later I have more guns than fingers and toes but it took me a long time to get them back. Owning a house is a good thing. Don't get in over your head and always keep your eye on the big picture. My assumption is that you're on the younger side, play your cards right and in time money will come but leave yourself enough cushion that you can enjoy life without stressing over money.

One last thing.....NEVER COME TO A GUN BOARD AND ASK "Should I sell my gun".

RPM- good advice, I appreciate it. This is my first house, and i'm so stressed out with the whole deal I know i'm not thinking right. But, I don't ever take it out, i've got a bunch invested in it (a bunch for me at least), and know I could make a bit back, not what I have in it, but near enough.

Terry, i'll give you a shout sometime and we can talk.

sometimes I point it at things while i'm sitting in the couch.

you just dont know how relieved I am to know I am not the only one that does that.

For that I give you mad +lucks for selling it.

Good luck and may you never accidently shoot Al Pachino in the face.

I do confess that I sold my FAL right after the 1994 gun ban stupidity and doubled my money. Then I rolled those funds into a jacuzzi tub for teh house we were building and I still use the tub every day.... I do NOT regret making that sale, since I really didn't like the FAL anyway and replaced it with the Cetme.... So a sale CAN be a good thing.

Yeah, i've decided that the money will help me out a lot more right now than the gun will sitting in a safe. I'll take a loss, of coirse, but, not too bad, mostly on accessories, things I can't use on anything else. I've dug up 10 mags in the 2 cell pouches, the chicom chest rig, an extra set of furniture, muzzle devices and a bayonet lug. Its a good package. I'm gonna catch up with termite tomorrow and see if we can't work something out.