Waiting on OEM 8's

I've been a contributor/member here since January of '09 and have been wanting to get at least one OEM 8 rounder ever since. I've missed a couple of opportunities in the WTS section and had just bought four AGP's when Kvar announced their limited offer.

I am hopeful that they will soon become available at a reasonable price. There have been many inferences to this lately.

Am i just being optimistic or will this soon be a reality?

I am a patient man and willing to wait while spending my money on other parts of my collection, but I can't help but wonder whether what was once rare will soon become commonplace and my patience will be rewarded.

• Like 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do you buy good beer when the cheap stuff will do the job. Why would anyone buy $2,000 dollar watch when a much cheaper one will keep just as good time. Why would anyone marry a beautiful woman wh

ok, it took more than a week to get the mags from Izhevsk to Moscow, but today 10 were dropped off to post office in Moscow, inbound to USA!

Damn Sunny . I dont consider $160 resonable, but one day I said ahh fuck it and bought one. I just had to have it. If they start coming anywhere around a hundo Ill probably be in for another. St

Define reasonable price? I suspect I am waiting for the same thing you are. After all, at the end of the day and after all the discussion of how great the OEM 8 are and how no self respecting man would even consider defending himself with anything less, it is still after all just a polymer magazine and I can't justify 150.00 So I will through out what seems reasonable to me..... How about 60.00 is that reasonable? Well to me its a bit steep at 60.00 but after all it is not being imported at present.

I really doubt if we will see a price that I would call reasonable anytime real soon just because of the effects of supply and demand but one can hope.

• Like 1

Anything under $100 is a steal, not a reasonable offer. Right now the retail is $164 USD and they are sold out.

Fucking factory mag hoarders might be part of the problem...

e19eac9e.jpg

Now, where is my 1/200 030?

Damn Sunny eyes_droped.gif . I dont consider $160 resonable, but one day I said ahh fuck it and bought one. I just had to have it. If they start coming anywhere around a hundo Ill probably be in for another. Still saving up to justify a bakelite for the 7.62. I need to say ahh fuck it and just buy one. What Im getting at is if you want it bad enough.... then its only money.

Edited by Yoshi
  • Like 2

Anything under $100 is a steal, not a reasonable offer. Right now the retail is $164 USD and they are sold out.

e19eac9e.jpg

Dam hoarders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! price would surely go down some if it weren't for all the magazine whores angry.png

I emailed Oleg and he said he doesn't expect to get any more Russian 8 rounders as they've gotten too expensive. Someone is going to have to start producing a US made replica of these mags.

Pagine Mike D.!!!

Edited by lelandEOD

I emailed Oleg and he said he doesn't expect to get any more Russian 8 rounders as they've gotten too expensive. Someone is going to have to start producing a US made replica of these mags.

Pagine Mike D.!!!

That is a bummer to hear but I don't blame him. I think the last listed price was 105 pounds. Ouch.

And yes, paging Mike D. I would love some metal reinforced 8 and 10 round single stacks. Double stacks would be nice but just some more durable domestic mags would be nice.

I agree they are expensive. Anything over $100 for these and you have to be buying them for reasons other the simple value for the dollar. Gas is way more overpriced than these mags but I wouldn't run 81 octane gas in my vehicle just because it was cheaper. I want whatever it takes for my gun and vehicle to run their very best.

Define reasonable price? I suspect I am waiting for the same thing you are. After all, at the end of the day and after all the discussion of how great the OEM 8 are and how no self respecting man would even consider defending himself with anything less, it is still after all just a polymer magazine and I can't justify 150.00 So I will through out what seems reasonable to me..... How about 60.00 is that reasonable? Well to me its a bit steep at 60.00 but after all it is not being imported at present.

I really doubt if we will see a price that I would call reasonable anytime real soon just because of the effects of supply and demand but one can hope.

Spring 2011 I picked up a couple in Russia, retail was right at/around $100 ea, unless someone can buy at a bulk discount and import them I think you are stuck at paying $125-150 ea...at least.

Guys, I don't get it. Somebody please make me smarter on this topic. We can get 5 and 10 round Made in USA mags but not 8 round. Seems to me that it would be easy to make an 8 round domestically. Why are 8 round mags so hard to come by? Thanks

Saiga Newbie

Huh wut wut? These are factory 8rd mags, they are rarer than hens teeth this side of the pond.

Factory mags come in 5rd and 8rd, they are the best built and most reliable of mags for the S12.

The Alphabet Gang doesn't allow the import of the 8rd mags, due to their stupid fucked up Sporting bullshit.

Thus they command a ridiculous premium.

You can buy aftermarket 8rd mags, you can buy aftermarket in 2, 5, 8, 10 & 12.

Wow! An eight (8) round US made mag, http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-158/SAIGA-12-8-ROUND/Detail

And you can cut SGM mags down into 2, 4, 6, 8 & 10 rd mags.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

My gut feeling is that anything over around $30 - $40 is actually stealing. Cost of goods is likely to be low enough to provide (non-greedy) margins for at least 1 (maybe 2) layers of distribution. Look at materials and construction complexity in comparison to say a Saiga 12. Or a good pocket knife. Metal, maybe 4 stamped parts and a spring. Plus some assembly time. Setup costs may be high for moulds for injection plastic (could be one or two plastic parts for the basic mag, a spring, whatever you use for a follower and either a steel base plate or part of the moulding. But once set up; it is like making jelly beans. Think of what else you can buy for 30 or 40 bucks and think about cost of goods.

Current prices are simply because of restricted supply and perhaps some price gouging.

e19eac9e.jpg

Damn Sunny eyes_droped.gif . I dont consider $160 resonable, but one day I said ahh fuck it and bought one. I just had to have it. If they start coming anywhere around a hundo Ill probably be in for another. Still saving up to justify a bakelite for the 7.62. I need to say ahh fuck it and just buy one. What Im getting at is if you want it bad enough.... then its only money.

Our local gun shop has at least a dozen bakelites, need me to pick anything up?

They also have one of these, but I don't think it's for sale... Completely cherry, Will worked on one on his show.

Resampled_2012-01-24_15-41-33_384.jpg

Edited by Caged

My gut feeling is that anything over around $30 - $40 is actually stealing. Cost of goods is likely to be low enough to provide (non-greedy) margins for at least 1 (maybe 2) layers of distribution.

A willing buyer purchasing from a willing seller is never stealing. If you want to get upset at somebody over the cost of the factory 8 round mags, direct your ire at the politicians and bureaucrats who have created the conditions that have artificially raised the price.

• Like 2

Pagine Mike D.!!!

Damn, then I'm glad I just picked up these two Russian 8s! I I too had long been waiting for the prices to come down, but finally just bit the bullet and went OEM. I wonder if there will be more of a demand for domestically produced magwell magazines now that we're importing 030s?

My gut feeling is that anything over around $30 - $40 is actually stealing. Cost of goods is likely to be low enough to provide (non-greedy) margins for at least 1 (maybe 2) layers of distribution. Look at materials and construction complexity in comparison to say a Saiga 12. Or a good pocket knife. Metal, maybe 4 stamped parts and a spring. Plus some assembly time. Setup costs may be high for moulds for injection plastic (could be one or two plastic parts for the basic mag, a spring, whatever you use for a follower and either a steel base plate or part of the moulding. But once set up; it is like making jelly beans. Think of what else you can buy for 30 or 40 bucks and think about cost of goods.

Current prices are simply because of restricted supply and perhaps some price gouging.

Well, what are you waiting for? Get makin some mags already!!

Making products for sale to the public is a gamble. I'm kinda getting burned on the stamped 10 round vepr .308 mags right now, stinking factory mags where $70 each until about three months ago. So I make a set of dies and make a run of them, figured $38 each for them should give me some profit and the customer a decent value.. Then the factory totally reverses practice and dumps a ton of mags on the market. Now I'm sure they are going to go back to their old ways and my sales of that product will eventually go back to estimates, but until then my money is locked up in the product.

So you can go and make something but if the factory decides next week that maybe they should sell their 8 round mags for $15, what happens to your investment?

• Like 1

Do the vepr .308's have a following as big as the Saiga 12? I did a quick search but got this

>>Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.vepr308.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as

ww.example.com instead of

www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.<<

I also did a google search for a vepr .308 forum, but didn't come up with anything either. They are cool rifles, but it doesn't seem like they have the following the Saiga 12's have.

Kind of hard for them to have the following that the Saiga 12 does when they aren't available in the US.

Yes they are what.gif Granted, they were'nt for awhile, but they were and are again.

And those that had them originally were, in general, huge fans of them.

Kind of hard for them to have the following that the Saiga 12 does when they aren't available in the US.

Yes they are what.gif Granted, they were'nt for awhile, but they were and are again.

And those that had them originally were, in general, huge fans of them.

Vepr 12s? I know the rifles are, but seeing as this thread is about Saiga 12 mags, I was only referring to the shotguns, not the rifles. I'm sure there are a few people in the US that have them, but they're not exactly available. I can't just go to my LGS and pick one up, or even have him order one for me.

Nevermind, I just noticed he was referring to the .308 specifically.

Edited by JoshAston
  • Like 1

I was talking about how making a product is a gamble.. Which is why it costs what it does for any given product.

It is why no one has tooled up to make copies of the factory 8 round mags.

I know what you're saying is true, but it just seems like there's such a big gap in a wide open market for an 8rd 12ga mag, only speaking for myself, I can't bring myself to use one of the surefire mags, they're just too hokey looking. The factory 8rd mags, even ready and willing to pay $180-$200 for a MAGAZINE, it's hard to find someone to hand my money to! The looks you get when you tell someone a magazine costs that much....

From a business perspective I can see why you'd make the 8rd 20ga mags 1st, but from a gun enthusiast perspective I can't. Like the Vepr .308's they're cool guns, but I just don't see the following like I see for the Saiga 12's. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one of each and would buy your mags if I did, but the reality of it is, I own 3 Saiga 12's instead.

(hope I didn't come off like an ass in either post, in re-reading my 1st one it could be misconstrued as such, but it wasn't my intent)