So, here's a random question. Do you guys...

...keep your mags loaded? I usually leave my mags unloaded and load them up before hitting the range. I figured that if I loaded up the mag, it would weaken the spring in the mags, thus making the springs an item that needs to be replaced when needed.

Personally, I would like to load up my mags to have them on standby, but I didn't want to sacrifice reliability...

What ye say?

The "weakened springs" things is a common misconception. Repeated loading and unloading causes more damage than leaving the springs compressed. I'd be more worried about polymer feed lips deforming under continuous strain, but I don't even know if that is a reasonable fear.

If you're inclined toward emergency preparedness, an empty mag is a decent bottle opener but not much help for its intended purpose.

Edited by DrThunder88
  • Like 1

Steel mags. Keep 'em loaded. I loaded six mags in 2007, I think September, not sure, got it written down somewhere. Been emptying one magazine about one year later, each year. I have two of those mags still left, loaded. I'll be dumping the 5-year mag this fall. The 1- 2- 3- and 4-year mags have all worked flawlessly. I think I'll save the sixth mag for 2017.

Polymer mags might have a problem with deformation, dunno - I don't keep any polymer/plastic/bakelite AK mags loaded, as I have very few and they're collectibles. I have a few AR-15 Pmags I keep loaded, I have one mag that's been loaded for a year and a half or so, originally loaded 30 rounds, 25 left now after a slightly aggressive possum caught some lead on an acquaintance's land. Waste of M855, that.

I have one poly tapco that I got just try out and I don't leave that loaded because the feed lips do seem easily deformed

Now all my steel mags? Well, those are filled to the brim my friend. and I've been shooting them for years with no issues. Have you seen the thickness of the lips on these things? Overbuilt to the maximum

And like someone else said. Springs wear from use,not static tension

Do you guys...

make sure the Saiga's get some luvin too?!?

1-administrator-album74-test-album-picture2215-aw-yeah.jpg

2zojceq.jpg

md14ox.jpg

oh wait... Mags loaded? Absolutely. If you have a mag old enough that the spring fatigues from being under constant pressure(not compressing and decompressing just staying compressed) then you have some super old mags. Like WWII old mags. So post pics!

• Like 1

All metal AR and AK mags stay loaded. My s-12 mags are loaded as well. My bulgy AK mags I just got won't because they're polymer. Even with steel reinforcement, I don't trust the tension on the feed lips.

Edited by dayofruin
Do you guys...

make sure the Saiga's get some luvin too?!?

1-administrator-album74-test-album-picture2215-aw-yeah.jpg

2zojceq.jpg

md14ox.jpg

oh wait... Mags loaded? Absolutely. If you have a mag old enough that the spring fatigues from being under constant pressure(not compressing and decompressing just staying compressed) then you have some super old mags. Like WWII old mags. So post pics!

Mooorree!!

Haha!

As many times on this forum, and on other forums, that this question has been posed, it should be considered trolling.

AwJeezNotThisSheetAgain1-1.jpg

All my mags are loaded and accessible... Worthless in any other condition.

"WAIT! Let me load this mag before you kill me and rape my wife."

As many times on this forum, and on other forums, that this question has been posed, it should be considered trolling.

AwJeezNotThisSheetAgain1-1.jpg

All my mags are loaded and accessible... Worthless in any other condition.

"WAIT! Let me load this mag before you kill me and rape my wife."

You are right in your thoughts 100%!

BUT, some new folks don't know or have no understanding/education about this crap!

Springs do not wear from being compressed or not....it is the back and forth that wears on them. Even then it takes quite a bit of time to wear them out.....needless to say all loaded all the time!

It's not quite that simple... GOOD springs don't wear from compression. Shitty, improperly tempered springs do. I have had problems with leaving some mags loaded in the past - first-gen AGP 10-round S-12 mags, but AGP replaced the springs with good ones when they failed. I had problems with those Korean Glock magazines - I left a few 33-rounders loaded for several months, when I went to empty them the springs couldn't keep up with the cyclic rate of a Glock 19.

Steel feed lips are OK to leave loaded all the time. They like to be full.

Polymer feed lips are good at unloading themselves if you leave them loaded.They have been know to get indigestion when left with a full belly.

• Like 1

Sorry if I asked a question that has come up in the past, but after. It finding any info about this one topic, I figured I would start a thread. I always kept a few steel mags loaded up, just not all of them, after hearing of issues with some shooter's mags. I never kept my Bulgy Polymer mags loaded, out of concern for the feeds.

Thanks Jamesavery22 for your contribution. For those that were upset by my topic, you've given us all something we can appreciate!

I'm glad you asked your question, fretout. Prior to my infatuation with Saigas, my experience has been with steel pistol mags and single shot rifles. Even after I bought my Saiga 12, I had no idea that polymer feed lips in rifle mags would deform/slip as the shell detent is different. The thought just never came to mind. I learned something today - and I wouldn't known/thought to search the forum first on this topic for education.

I keep all my Ruger 9mm and S-12 mags loaded, but only have a silly 5 round 7.62x39 mag at this time (unloaded).

• 2 weeks later...

I keep all mags loaded. Steel AK mags, AR mags (pmags, SS, alum), pistol mags, ect. If the mag fails, I will replace it or some part of it. Better than trying to fix or replace my family because my mag was unloaded.