This happened a couple of days ago and I wasn't going to mention it here or anywhere else but it's been bugging me. I tooted my horn at a guy in front of me who was jaw-jacking with his passenger and didn't notice that the light was green. He takes off but drives super slow to the next light so I now know he is all butthurt and is going to play games. I signal for a right turn at the light to part ways with butthurt boy and he stops at the right turn green arrow, puts it in park and gets out of his car and starts walking back. I reach in my console for my gun but he stops when he sees my pitbull, who looks more intimidating than he actually is. I never show the gun and soon decide I'm not going to need it. But "Butthurt boy" stands there outside of his car for a full minute with a line of cars honking, ironically trying to make his point that nobody honks at HIM. I have already been told by someone else that I should have never honked at him the first time because you never know when you're going to set somebody off. I say bullshit. If the light is green for several seconds and I see his head turned sideways and his jaw flapping up and down somebody needs to tell him it's time to go. Having said that though, I quickly found myself in a position of having to possibly use force to defend myself because some hothead blows his top over nothing. I don't think I'm going to do anything different but I think I am going to be more on guard for things to turn nasty quickly out on the road. Things are changing. Any thoughts?

SOME People are assholes. That's never gonna change, only the number of them. It keeps going up is the problem. Seems to me that society is taking a turn for the worst. No body wants to admit they were in the wrong and that combined with the all so popular entitlement attitude are Fucking this shit up. I have bouts of road rage only cause I live in CT, the state of fuck it I have insurance. No one here follows traffic laws let alone treat any other driver withe courtesy or respect. Its always a me first and fuck you attitude. The stupidity of drivers here will drive anyone battshit crazy. So my main though is don't come to CT. The drivers here will turn you into the"gentleman" you met the other day.

• Like 2

A toot is just a notification. That is understood by normal people. Unless you toot less than a second after the light changes.

But laying on the horn for several seconds is another story.

Of course none of the "normal" rules apply if driving in NY where the horn is used more than blinkers. 021.gif

• Like 2

A toot is just a notification. That is understood by normal people. Unless you toot less than a second after the light changes.

But laying on the horn for several seconds is another story.

Of course none of the "normal" rules apply if driving in NY where the horn is used more than blinkers. 021.gif

I agree with this totally. I've had it happen to me, my attention is off the light and it turns green. The person behind me gives a quick beep to let me know. It never pissed me off, I found it courteous. IMO you did nothing wrong. People are assholes though, I'm glad you were prepared in case the moron attacked you.

• Like 1

happens all the time in my town. Its full of punks and tough guys or guys who think they're tough anyway. Couple of years ago I went to jail because of it. Punk racing around town cut my boss off pretty bad so my boss honked at him and the guy took up both lanes blocking us and all other traffic. We couldn't back up, turn or anything. we were stuck and at this point I was out the window asking wtf is his problem and GTFO of the way already. He got out of his truck and started walking towards my door and last time I just sat there I got punched in the face so I got out this time and we walked up to each other. Didnt say much as I knew what was going to happen as I seen it all the time back in high school. Two guys walk up and talk shit to each other and then fight. I had laundry to do so I skipped the small talk and got to it. I just gave him a bloody nose. walked back and got into the truck, He came back up to the passenger side mirror and punched it out of frustration and broke it and my boss then jumped out and chased him. He got in his truck and went up the street to the police station. I went up there and turned myself in. We were both arrested for fighting. He got criminal damage aswell.

When I look back on it, It was really really really really stupid of me, but a person can only take so much and it was pretty bad. Last time I was in high school and some guy had RRage behind me. School just got out and he was honking his horn repeatedly. I counldnt go anywhere as it was packed in front of me, so I threw up my hands like where do you want me to go? He got out and walked up to my window. I rolled it down to talk and reason with the guy and got punched in the face. Fortunately the guy hit like a girl so he just kind of stunned me. I kindof laughed and drove away as the guy had gotten in his truck and spead off.

Do I do that any more, though, NO! that was dumb of me and cost me about $725 in the end. I now try to just take it all with a grain of salt and move on. Let them play there little games and move on. Really sucks to have to put up with that but its better then spending the evening in jail and going to court. IMO.

But if it were to happen again, your situation that is, I would probably honk. Would I get out, No. Maybe take his photo. That pisses people off and usually deters them from doing anything else stupid as its evidence for the cops later on if something should happen.

• Like 1

i agree, you did nothing wrong. some folks i wait out just to see how long it will take them to wake up. some i give the short beep. depends on my mood.

i have always been astonished by people that fail to turn on the lights at night. it means that they never look at the instrument panel.

• Like 3

You didnt do anything wrong. Most of the traffic problems/wrecks today are caused by drivers not paying attention. The guy has a serious issue if he is bothered by being made aware a light turned green by a simple honk. I dont see a good future for him. I would have taken his plates and called him in probably while he was standing there being a dip shit.

• Like 1

I would have "tooted" also. Also, I would have "retreated" if possible before using lethal force. You were in a vehicle, he was not. You had the opportunity to leave (if not blocked in) before using force. He was in the wrong though.

I always try to leave enough room between me and the person in from of me so that I can get around them for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Your ^ story reminds me of a time in high school when a truck full of guys blocked me in and several of them came to my window. He said ' is Brad your cousin?' I said yes and he punched me in the face while I sat in my car. I barely even noticed the hit. Sounds like the same guy. lol

• Like 2

SOME People are assholes. That's never gonna change, only the number of them. It keeps going up is the problem....... No body wants to admit they were in the wrong ......... No one here follows traffic laws let alone treat any other driver withe courtesy or respect. Its always a me first and fuck you attitude. The stupidity of drivers here will drive anyone battshit crazy. So my main though is don't come to CT.

I must agree with this and I live here also. Its me me ME and I will cut your ass off - just to get ahead of you even though there is a mile of space behind you on the highway...I don't care if I got to the stop sign after you I'm going first anyways - ME first!, I don't care if there is plenty of room behind you I'm getting on this highway and in front of YOU - ME first!, IF you get into an accident because of ME then FK you its not my fault you should have let ME go first!, I don't care if I see you are 50yards away doing 40mph driving down the road... I am going to blow this stop sign and get out in front of you from the side road no matter what the weather conditions are ...ME first!, I don't care if the road merges and I have to merge while I am directly even with your car ...you must let me in, ME first!, If I have to move to the next lane (on the highway) I do not want to slow down and get behind you where there is a ton of room to do the lane change safely....I want to get in front of YOU and cut you off dangerously close to get in front of you...ME first!....Oh man I can go on about these me first I'm better than you pos aholes. Yes I was an accident victim a few times because of these fkheads.

• Like 1

I agree 100% with your entire decision process. A quick toot on the horn shouldnt piss anyone off (unless, as was stated above, you do so miliseconds after the light changes). Also, I think reaching for your weapon was another good move. I think if more people showed that they were packing when "billy bad ass" gets out of his car, maybe people would be less apt to try and play the billy bad ass role. I tell my wife all the time that she gets too mouthy when she drives and that she doesnt know who has what.

• Like 3

A few years ago i was in a Walgreens parking lot about to make a turn into the next lane to find a parking space. Out of nowhere this guy in a huge truck taking up the whole lane going about 30 mph slams on his brakes as he sees me turning into the lane that his huge truck is hogging up. I did not see him approaching due to his excessive speed and there was a van blocking our line of sight. So this guy gets into a hissy fit and i could see him yelling through his windshield. A few micro-seconds later he revs his monster engine in a fit of rage and bolts around me to exit the parking lot, but little did he know another vehicle was about to make a turn in the other lane and this guy's truck plowed right into this poor man's car and i couldn't help but bust out laughing. It just goes to show that some drivers are maniacs.

• Like 2

I would have "tooted" also. Also, I would have "retreated" if possible before using lethal force. You were in a vehicle, he was not. You had the opportunity to leave (if not blocked in) before using force. He was in the wrong though.

I always try to leave enough room between me and the person in from of me so that I can get around them for whatever reason.

I was pretty much blocked in there wasn't time to do anything anyway. The only thing I thought was that he is going to have to come and get me and open my door himself in front of these witnesses and then all bets are off. I'm glad it didn't come to that.

Drive in the country... Less stop lights.

I wish it were that simple.
  • Like 1

I was pretty much blocked in there wasn't time to do anything anyway. The only thing I thought was that he is going to have to come and get me and open my door himself in front of these witnesses and then all bets are off. I'm glad it didn't come to that.

That would have been your best bet if you were blocked in. That could have been a BAD day.

• Like 1

Don’t know if it’s good news but I see you’re in the NW we’ve got buttheads in the SE too so it’s not just a local phenomenon. I suspect it’s nation wide maybe even world wide.

A lot of the ones I see are on their cell phone so I know they must be important people doing important things, NOT.

Let it go and move on in life, but keep the dog.

• Like 1

Over here, a horn is a good signal from other drivers to wake up or get going! You did nothing wrong. The guy over reacted and some day it may just kill him. Do you think he noticed you reaching for your firearm? Or was it just the dog? I'm glad to hear that nothing happened. Natural selection is on pause.

It's a sign of your moral character that you would want to hear others opinions on this situation. You were just and upright. You did nothing wrong and should continue to help other drivers be more assertive.

I was driving in eastern europe and Italy. Tell ya what! They use the horn more than turn signals! I kinda had fun blending in and honking at everything and anything for a few weeks! I rarely use my horn here in Montana. Used it a few weeks ago in Wisconsin when a FIB damn near T boned me coming out of a blind alley where I was carefully driving my parents new car. It saved him a lot of money and saved me from my parents!

Keep your head up and don't let it bug you! He wins if you stress about it! Just laugh at the fool and be thankful you have a better head on your shoulders. Think about how much his life must suck if you must think about it! :)

N

• Like 3

People like getting out at stoplights here too. Lol! They yell, curse, then go on most of the time. It's usually high schoolers or the guys that graduated a long time ago but still live like they're in high school.

You did nothing wrong. I've been honked at... Didn't piss me off.

Had a guy ride my ass through town on my way home one day. I don't speed... I don't need a ticket. As I merged into left turn lane to turn onto my road, the guy blows past me laying on his horn, flipping me off, almost side swiping me. I threw my hands up as in wtf. This guy turns around and follows me to the entrance to my subdivision. I stopped there because I didn't want him to see where I lived. The guy just drove past cursing at me but like you, I was hand on EDC. You honestly never know what people are thinking.

• Like 1

Over here, a horn is a good signal from other drivers to wake up or get going! You did nothing wrong. The guy over reacted and some day it may just kill him. Do you think he noticed you reaching for your firearm? Or was it just the dog? I'm glad to hear that nothing happened. Natural selection is on pause.

It's a sign of your moral character that you would want to hear others opinions on this situation. You were just and upright. You did nothing wrong and should continue to help other drivers be more assertive.

I was driving in eastern europe and Italy. Tell ya what! They use the horn more than turn signals! I kinda had fun blending in and honking at everything and anything for a few weeks! I rarely use my horn here in Montana. Used it a few weeks ago in Wisconsin when a FIB damn near T boned me coming out of a blind alley where I was carefully driving my parents new car. It saved him a lot of money and saved me from my parents!

Keep your head up and don't let it bug you! He wins if you stress about it! Just laugh at the fool and be thankful you have a better head on your shoulders. Think about how much his life must suck if you must think about it! smile.png

N

I think it was both. When I was lifting the lid of the console to get the gun Jake's head was pressing down on my right shoulder trying to get a look at this guy. So I think the guy saw two things at the same time that he didn't like. biggrin.png
  • Like 2

I woulda just laid on the horn the whole time he was out of his car!

The other cars were doing that for me. I think it made him feel ridiculous and it let me know that witnesses were paying attention.

fuck him dogman. thats why they make horns on vehicles. could have been a bad day for his dumbass. you werent in the wrong. i do that shit all the time to morons not paying attention behind the wheel.

• Like 3

Try driving in DC rush hour traffic! Every worthless egotistical sociopath in America ends up here, and it just PISSES them off that traffic will not part and get out of their way!

• Like 1

Reminds me of a time when I was traveling with my family along a county highway at night. I come into an S-curve and nearly hit some dumbass guy who was--literally--walking in the middle of the road. Middle of the curve, right on the centerline. I swerve hard to miss him, nearly putting myself and my family in the ditch, and as I'm rolling past him, I see his extended middle finger go up.

Some people's kids.

During the more than 15 years I've been licensed to carry, I can't count the number of times I have had other drivers show their ass. At 1rst, I was startled, do these people realize the risk they take? Then, I became introspective. Had I ever engaged in this behavior? The answer was Yes, to a small degree.

I've since became real peaceful. My wife is one for making hand motions on the road. I call her on it, won't have it.

If I ever have to pull, I'm going to use it, period. But I won't be a part of the escalation to that point.

• Like 2