looking for opinions on a red dot

im looking for some opinions on a decent red dot optic for my s12.

has to hold zero. aside from that i dont care what it looks like, or who makes it.

id prefer it to be under a $100.00

not asking too much, right? lol.

Check out the bushnell trs 25. It is about 90 to 100 buck and has a lot of great reviews. There are some good videos of it one you tube. I have on a 5.45 and it has been great. It will cowitness with my iron sites with my tws dogleg scope mount. Bushnell makes good products for the money.

Edited by rogers
  • Like 1

Yep, can't beat a TRS 25 if you only want to spend $100. I just wish they didn't look like a BSA. wacko.png

If you can afford $169 you can get a Vortex Strikefire. A very serious scope for under $200. Get the red dot only version. The dot is brighter and the green dot is a gimmick anyway.

I had a TRS-25, it's about what you'd expect for an optic at that price.. functional, (at least in the short term), but I didn't have much confidence in it if I needed it to hold up in adverse conditions. I sold it.

I then found a pretty good e-bay price on an Aimpoint Micro R-1, and I've been extremely pleased with it.

Spending a little more on a quality optic is a good idea. wink.png

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 2

The new Tru Glo 3 moa with ring has red, green, and bue colors to choose from dial adjustable.

Holds zero, ring at 30 yards = 24 inches This is the Turkey model other models to choose for

under 100 dollars at Cabela's retail is a little more.

Worth a look at.

The Vortex Strikefire red dot only ($169) is a great optic for the price. If you can save a skosh more cash over a few weeks, the Aimpoint PRO ($409) is a fine choice. Wish I woulda.

Having said that, the Primary Arms MD-06 ($89.99) and the Bushnell TRS-25 ($89.99) are also good choices for under the $100 mark. Personally, I suspect the latter two, as well as other offerings by various brands, are made at the same Chinese factory.

edit - Don't skimp on your mount. If you have a side rail, the RS Regulate AKM for the Strikefire or PRO is a solid piece. The RS Regulate AKML is for the micros. Midwest Industries makes a couple of nice looking side rail mounts too, but if they don't center over your bore, I'm not sure they adjust like the RS Regulate products.

Edited by BB42

I've got a suresight on mine but its not a scope its a reflex sight and I picked it up for $30 and it works for clays so far. Haven't gotten it quite zero'd in yet for slugs. I think the suresight is $40-$50 regular price

• 2 weeks later...

not sure about the hk sights but the Bushnell trs 25 will co-witness with my regular sights because it is mounted on a tws dogleg gen 2 top cover. this is of course on a 5.45 rifle and not a s-12. i love this setup it works great and so far seams very durable. i would think that the trs 25 probably would co-witness with the chaos hk sights on a titan rail system. but that would be a pricey setup.

not sure about the hk sights but the Bushnell trs 25 will co-witness with my regular sights because it is mounted on a tws dogleg gen 2 top cover. this is of course on a 5.45 rifle and not a s-12. i love this setup it works great and so far seams very durable. i would think that the trs 25 probably would co-witness with the chaos hk sights on a titan rail system. but that would be a pricey setup.

I have the titan rail system with the hk sights already. I was thinking if the trs25 didn't cowittness the sights I could install the scope on my ak47. But would a 1 power scope make it hard to see a small target 100 yards away on a rifle when I target shoot?

I have the titan rail system with the hk sights already. I was thinking if the trs25 didn't cowittness the sights I could install the scope on my ak47. But would a 1 power scope make it hard to see a small target 100 yards away on a rifle when I target shoot?

just measured my trs 25 from the top of the rail surface to the center of the lens, it appears to be 5/8". see how that compares to the front chaos sight. if it is close to 5/8" then it should work no problem.

furthermore if you put a 1x scope on a rifle it will be no change in magnification compared to iron sights. the difference is that the standard front iron sight on an ak at 100 yards covers about an 8"x8" square. making it hard to see what you are aiming at. with a red dot like the trs 25 the dot covers 3 moa or about 4 inches. so the red dot will be more accurate. off a bench i can shoot about a 4-5 inch group at 100 yards with my 5.45 that has a trs 25 on it. in comparison if i put my 3x9x40 Nikon scope on the riffle i can tighten my groups up to about 2 inches. hope this info helps.

Edited by rogers