• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to update:   Sent it to Glock and just got it back yesterday. Only about a two week turnaround. No charge for a new extractor, and full inspection. Pretty damn good service from Glock I must sa

Spoke with Glock, they said send it to them and they would replace the extractor free. They will also do a thorough inspection and send it back free.   Can't beat that service. Looking at new forged

While ignoring the lead part of the whole thing with reloads a very little change in the charge in some powders (like Clays) can result in wow-wee moments in shooting.   I’d put this one on the re

Posted Images

glad no one was hurt. the slide should be fine with some replaced parts. good move having it checked though. could have had bullet setback as well. hard to say. but even factory loaded ammo can go kaboom. its just less likely.

Glock doesn't fully support the case on the .40, so it's very important to inspect brass when reloading more so than usual.

Buddy of mine on another forum KB'd his Glock after 30k rounds (Yes, that's 30,000) rounds through it mostly his reloads. Sent it in after talking to them, he basically got a new pistol back from them.

I had a bad piece of brass blow out the mag in my Glock 22. Luckily nothing happened with the gun itself, I was using and aftermarket lone wolf barrel. Scary stuff, thought it blew my hand off at first. Glad everyone is ok.

That's what I was thinking. How will that work? Will the new serial be transferred to my name?

you would have a mix match. all that matters is the lower receiver and that small piece of aluminum wiith the serial number on it. only euros put matching numbers all over the place. you can buy a complete upper with no paperwork.

Wow! The knowledge and expertise shown by the members of this forum is amazing. We all have the advantage of consulting probably a couple hundred years of experience in almost any firearm problem, quickly and effortlessly. And the details! Seems like whatever the topic I learn something new. Again, so glad no one was hurt. That Glock stands behind the gun so well makes me even more confident in the quality, Glock Perfection!

Are you're reloads FMJ or lead bullet?

Glocks are known for having this happen on occasion when using lead bullets. The barrel rifling fouls more than standard cut rifling and can cause over pressure issues with results similar to what you have in the photos.

I doubt that was the cause. Even if you're shooting soft lead rnds, (which, to be on the safe side, most people shouldn't do), a Glock's barrel has to be very dirty to have any kind of overpressure problem.

Yep.

The way some people talk about lead bullets and Glocks, you'd think that after 1 round, the rifling is completely leaded up and will lead to a kaboom. Not the case. The hardness of the lead can be a factor, but a few mags of lead nosed bullets through a stock Glock barrel won't be a worry at all.

Glad to see Glock is helping and you're buddy is OK, OP.

Glock doesn't fully support the case on the .40, so it's very important to inspect brass when reloading more so than usual.

I think this doesn't really hold true anymore with Gen. 3 Glocks and beyond.

find me a picture of a blown up colt 1911, lol

Otay. Let's see here...032.gif

http://www.freerepub...s/1208584/posts

post-88-0-05278300-1337901810.jpg

I thought that, but I was raised to be polite! LOL!haha.gif

Sorry, it is not funny for a KB to happen, but teacupping, is.

Don't think the xd was teacupped looking at the palm, sure like to know what happened though.

Weak hand thumb or web behind the slide can be very painful, as a few I've seen and cleaned up the blood from can attest.

Edited by wearefla

The best way to avoid this type of situation is to buy an XD.

It was the home made reload not the Glock.

Yea i hear ya. I guess you hear about glocks kabooming more often just for the simple fact that so many people own them. Almost everybody i know has one and im guessing a lot of people like to reload.

The best way to avoid this type of situation is to buy an XD.

It was the home made reload not the Glock.

Yea i hear ya. I guess you hear about glocks kabooming more often just for the simple fact that so many people own them. Almost everybody i know has one and im guessing a lot of people like to reload.

Yeah, I've always accounted it to shear #'s. There's eleventy billion Glocks in circulation.

I've been having great results with the Rainier 165 grain HP'S and exactly six grains of Alliant Unique (Starline brass, CCI SP primers) in my Glock 23. Got the loading off the Internet somewhere. Checked out as within safe pressure limits. 032.gif

I hate all those "high pressure" loadings like the .40 S&W and a lot of the modern 9x19 shit you find published now. I'd limit the cases to no more than three loadings before tossing them, even with virgin brass. I always close my eyes when shooting them if the case has seen a trip thru the sizing die more than two times. 015.gif009.gif

Dammit, double typed on the "e" key again. :angry:

Edited by Gaddis

Ya wanna see a real high-pressure Glock "kaboom"?

Here ya go, in 10mm...

The guy who was holding it when this happened wasn't seriously hurt. I think it's impressive how well Glocks handle overpressure.

DAMN, that is ugly!!!

I was within arm's reach of a 44 mag Blackhawk when it went BOOM! Half the cylinder went past my ear, and the top strap was ripped off the rear of the frame and bent almost 180 degrees forward. Luckily no one was hurt. It was a severe overload. To top it off, when he sent the gun to Ruger for repair, it was stolen while in UPS's posession.

I haven't started reloading yet, but my cousin gave me a tidbit on lead vs jacketed for semis. A semi is a perfectly timed machine. Lead has more drag(or resistance to travel) than jacketed, and throws the timing off. In some cases, the barrel is tilted/unlocked and the slide coming back before the bullet exits the muzzle, which can cause an overpressure condition as the shell exits the chamber. He doesn't have pics, but he blew a WW2 Remington Rand 1911 apart with semi wad cutters once. He distinctly remembers the slide starting back and then KABOOM!!!

For a simple demonstration, shoot a LRN and a FMJ from a .38/.357 revolver. With the lead, you'll notice more gas blowing out of the cylinder gap. Also, this is from my Blazer Ammo ballistic chart: 158gr LRN: 755 FPS 200Ft/lbs muzzle. 158gr FMJ: 945FPS 248ft/lbs muzzle. Both standard loads, same powder, 4" barrel. Notice a difference? The FMJ flies out the barrel faster due to less resistance.

I'd chock this up as a lesson learned.