Iron Sights or Red dot?

As I approach my conversion date I am pondering, unsuccessfully, what type of sights to put on my S12. Initially I was going to get an iron sight that bolted to the barrel but then starting looking at rails, i.e. Cobra Quad Rails, which made me start considering getting red dot sight. I have also looked at having the HK sights welded on. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as the more I look at the more indecisive I've become. Thanks.

2 of my S12s have krebs. That's how much I like them.

I've shot an 8" Tromix that had HK sights and they sucked by comparison.

I have both. I wouldn't say HK sights suck personally but the Krebs is way better as far as sight picture and radius. I had my Krebs sight tower welded on however as that is the true weakness of the bolt-on design, it could be knocked around under rough use. Welded-on HK sights arn't going anywhere. Also, The Krebs rear sight ring can interfere with the operation of vertical charging handles so theres that to consider as well.

I shoot skeet with both so either one will work fine, just a matter of preference.

Ideally, both:

Got a side shot of this set-up?

s12new2.jpg

r13r.jpg

The Aimpoint Micro and H&K sights cowitness easily and comfortably.

Obviously this was not a cheap way to go, but I think the result is worth it.

For aftermarket irons that anyone can install himself with simple hand tools; Krebs are a good way to go. I used those initially before I decided to go this direction with this S-12, (Mike at Lone Star Arms did the soldering, barrel chop, etc, i.e. all the hard stuff biggrin.png ).

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Interesting. Are both sights necessary and help with sighting? I would think that the HK sights would be quicker. Im leaning very heavily towards the welded HK sights.

I spose you could co-witness the red dot with the irons before every shot, if you wanted to, but it's entirely unnecessary. When the Micro's in place and turned on, I just put the dot on what I want to destroy and generally ignore the irons. If it's been ~5 years since the last battery change and the Micro dies unexpectedly, I can still use the irons without removing the optic.

The H&K irons certainly allow very fast target acquisition, but not as fast as the red dot.

I'd go with a Krebs, XS HK (if you want HK), or an open style small dot like a Docter/clone. Personal preference is that both open and a red dot on a shotty crowd the target a bit. By nature, shotguns are made to aquire the target and get the shot off quickly. The larger rear peep on the first two, or a dot in an unobstructed window just seem to work well for me. Either of the first two with a tritium or fiber optic front post are easy to pick up and have no parts to fail. Just my 2c fwiw and I have all three, they're all good in their own way.

• Like 1

Yeap, In a ideal world you can have your cake and eat it too. I run a cowitness setup on two of my saigas.

One H&K sights with a tromix rear base and aimpoint, the other chaos sights and primary arms micro dot.

I ran Krebs prior to either with a Kobra red dot on a side rail mount. Good setup also, But I do enjoy the new ones more. Redundancy is a good thing.

IMG_2824.JPG

Red dot, 30mm tube, mounted as far forward as you're comfortable. Even if it isn't on, it's a passable ghost ring and plenty good enough for close work. If you've got time to take a slug shot at range, you have time to turn the dot on.