SWEET i got my tax stamp today! i was worried, it has been almost 7 months (just 10 days short). i think one of the problems must have been that they changed the paperwork on me so i had to resend it with trustee info.

I had no idea that it was literally a stamp. I'm taking this thing out Saturday for some target shooting:) i better get my recoil reducing grip on there tonight.

so how do you guys keep a copy with you? shrunk down in a sandwich baggy in the grip or what?

post-37526-0-97753300-1339097492_thumb.jpg

I should probably carry my paperwork - I used to. But there's no actual legal requirement, and where I shoot is NFA friendly, never so much as heard of someone being asked for paperwork.

Yep, just like you put on a letter. I would keep the actual original stamp/F1 in a safe secure place. Carry only a copy in the gun case although it is not required.

I agree. I keep my original safe at home. I made reduced copy I have In a ziplock bag i put in the grip.

Edited by RedChallenger

I keep a copy of each in my truck in a briefcase.

"recoil reducing grip" ??????? come on,,,give it a try first......naaaa.gif

i tried one out at the gun store before i got this, that's why i bought the recoil reducing stock.

Originals are secure. I used to carry copies when I had my can or my SBS out, but never seen anybody give a shit and I've gotten lax. Been out with a couple of SOTs shooting piles of post-samples, with no paperwork in sight, even with LE involvement there's never been any hassle over it. I guess they figure if you're brazen about it, you must be legit.

It's quite a long process to get the stamp right? I've read a little about this but Id like to hear about a few details from some members who have firsthand knowledge on the subject. Any details?

Its long only in the wait, you fill out a form and pay a tax stamp and wait.

I have heard that if you dont go the trustee rout like i did its faster. The other method i know of is you get a local sherif to sign off on it, this still requires paper work and a tax stamp but i heard it takes less time to approve

BRAVO!!!!

fuck asking daddie for permission. you did the right thing.

My family has set up trusts already, and we are in the process of figureing out what everyone wants, so that we can begin the paperwork.

No asking mommy and daddy here, either.

The CLEO route is quicker, but they dont know the law most of the time, and will deny you a lot of the time, or all of the time, depending on where you are in the USA.

Living trust or corporate investment is the way to go. they dont grant the stamp overnight, though.

dont lose it. notarize a copy of it, if you are worried about being harrassed, and put the actual tax stamp away in a safe place.

most citizens dont know what the fuck it is, anyhow, so dont expect the deputies to know about it, or even the CLEO in some cases.

NEVER hand them your original copy without a warrant from a federal judge, or one signed by the county CLEO.

--sorry for the edit

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Cool welcome to the addiction.

My last stamp was 10 months door to door.

I keep all my originals in the safe and copies (front/back) in a 3 ring binder.

I've got one out right now since April 5th and will be buying another MG @ the end of the month or 1st week of July.

Stamp collecting is FUN!

• Like 1

Ok, im kinda lost. What is a tax stamp? And why do you get it. Is it certain states only?

Short answer: Items that are regulated by the NFA (such as short barrel shotguns/rifles, suppressors, MG's, AOW's) require a tax stamp in order to own. This is a federal thing. Some states do not even allow NFA toys.

For more in depth info, check out Shandlanos' links above.

EDIT:............and congrats, Salt!

Edited by -Shooter-

If you can do CLEO it's the best.

trust right now are taking longer due to the fact the the NFA legal team reviews each one by fed. and state law.

I know my sheriff won't sign so I do the trust thing.

I'm also looking to move the fuck out of this county in the next 4 years as all the counties around this one sign off CLEO.

And with the NFA changes that are coming I'm getting as many stamps in as I can as fast as I can.

WHat the russian hammer said, accept that rumor was around before the internet was all that and a side of salsa.

only thing is more paperwork and a wait time......

OH and for those that don't know....

DID you know that they wanted to include handguns in the 1934 NFA ....

• Like 1

WHat the russian hammer said, accept that rumor was around before the internet was all that and a side of salsa.

only thing is more paperwork and a wait time......

OH and for those that don't know....

DID you know that they wanted to include handguns in the 1934 NFA ....

And that the provison to include Handguns failed by 1 vote.beer.gif

• Like 1

Question: Does owning an NFA weapon and having a tax stamp allow the feds to come into your home and check for said weapon at their whim?

No, they can do that anyway under the guise of "reasonable suspicion" with a no-knock entry.

That would be your own fault for letting them in without a warrant.