looking into getting a new gun. i dig the quality of the veprs, but i also dig the looks of the PSL/dragunov.

im also not to keen that the VEPR mags are polymer. or that they seem to be like around the 30-50$ range. + the fact that i have not seen very many or any other than the capacity of 5 or 10.

wheras, the PSL has alot of mags available, all are steel and i think its pretty much just 10round mags.

main reason is i want a good AK type rifle that is accurate, shoots far and looks good while im doin it to!

(i really like the 7.62x54r round, ive had a few nagants and buy surplus ammo for them alot and the price is decent i'd say.)

i have no experiance in .308 but... maybe even id go for a vepr .308 but....i dont know. it might seem more ...pricy ammo wise.

but if they can be converted/modified to look like a dragunov look alike with the longer handguards and the SVD style stock...

i heard that the .308 vepr has steel mags or can be made to fit them...on that note i seen a forum where they modified the VEPR 54r to take REAL soviet dragunov mags by cutting and wideing the magwell.

i know that the veprs can be modified with danzing parts to fit ak handguards, but what about the slant cut reciever (i think is the correct term?) how difficult is it to attach a dragunov style stock instead of thumbhole.

sorry if it seems like this is alot, i have in my wallet roughly 1000 doallers and im looking into buying a new rifle/conversion parts.

suggestions would help?

I plan on getting the Vepr, myself, as well. There's a lot less degredation of accuary with the Vepr as the barrel heats of compared with the PSL's. With the lower capacity magazines, one would probably never get the gun hot enough to even worry about it. Also, I wouldn't worry about the polymer magazines too much either. They're metal reinforced in the body but not in the lips unfortunately. Lucky for us, CSSpecs will be coming out with metal magazines sometime in the near future anyway, so it will soon be a non-issure.

BTW, there is a Vepr 54r section on the forum. It doesnt have much in there yet but it will be the place to go when people start building on these rifles.

When PSLs were going for $450 for just the rifle a few years ago and $600 with a scope and extra mag, they really did have a dog in this race. Now that their price is pretty close to the Vepr, I'd say drop the extra cash on the far superior firearm that can actually shoot the heavy-ball.

• Like 1

The VEPR is going to be a better quality rifle over the Century because the parts are original and not from a demilled kit that got reassembled.

If accuracy is the principle factor, the .308 would be the better choice due to the amount of accurate factory ammo and components out there.

If cheap is the principle factor, then the 7.62x54R is untouchable in that department and you will get decent accuracy out of it.

Please don't use this ever again... PSL/Dragunov It's an insult to the Dragunov.

Ever see the old kit cars that looked like a porsche? That's kinda like calling a psl a dragunov. It looks similar but it's really a big piece of steaming shit.

Get the VEPR, It's as close to a Tiger as you can get. The Tiger is as close to a Dragunov as you can get.

Good luck! Have fun with her!

• Like 2

Question.... Does the Vepr have a chrome lined barrel? If so, go for it. If not, Go Saiga. I was gonna go PSL but dropped down to the X39 round in a Tobuk'd RPK due to the heavy, chrome lined barrel and availibility/cheapness of ammo. Also, typical shooting distance in my AO is 1000yrds or less(usually much less). For longer ranges, I'd go bolt action.

But since you're in OK, with its open country. I can see the attraction to the x54 or .308(which was what I wanted when I lived in AZ). I've heard that the lighter, Combloc barrels tend to warp slightly under heavy, sustained fire. So, if this is to be a primary weapon and there is ANY chance you may need to loose hel down range, go for the heavy barrel.

Yes, for sure on the vepr the saiga and the real deal. The PSL has a piece of scrap iron on it. The chinese make a really nice dragunov clone that is about 5 grand less than a real one.

I had an old veper .308 with the wood stock. It was a great gun. I also had the saiga .308. The saiga had the slant cut and thumbhole wood stock. The triger was in the correct position on both of the weapons. The trigger on the saiga was better but the accuracy of the vepr was a little tighter. The veper has beautiful burled wood and the saiga had no blemish blonde. The finish of the vepr was superior to the saiga. The saiga had a good quality finish on the metal and the stock was well done.

Now that the Vepr is being imported again, it makes them more affordable when they used to be a lot more than the saiga hunter. Robinson imported a bunch of them and did a great job finishing them off. You will see them go for a large premium and used and beaten for more than a new vepr.

If you can melt (warp) the barrel of a chrome lined vepr no matter what barrel, you are a better man than I. I bet you could on the PSL.

So now the real question, at least for me, is what barrel length to get?

Um, you wanted a sniper rifle right?

yeah, sniper type longe range hi compacity mag rifle, about 1000$ is my limit has to be super reliable and sturdy like the ak platform is already.

i know people call them marksmen's rifles but thats dumb as hell in my opinion cause its made to go way far.

Just to toss out another thought.

.308 will always be a little more reliable then the 54r. Rimmed rounds are always going to be a little more goofy when it comes to feeding and extraction.

The cost of new non-corrosive ammo for either round is about the same, with .308 being slightly cheaper.

I don't shoot corrosive unless I am going to shoot a half case or more. When I shoot non-corrosive I don't generally clean my rifle until I'm over 400 rounds..

My time is worth something, I don't want to spend an hour detail cleaning a rifle to save $10.

Its the same reason I don't reload regular shotgun loads, only 00buck, slugs, or other high cost loadings.

I really want this !

http://www.atlanticf...roduct1221.aspx

With that rifle you get a lot of noise but not much bang compared to the longer versions. Consider that 147 grrain surplus 7.62x54r out of a 16 inch barrel will net you around 2500 fps of velocity. 7.62x39 in a 124 grain from a 16 inch barrel will get up right under 2400 fps.

Just to toss out another thought.

.308 will always be a little more reliable then the 54r. Rimmed rounds are always going to be a little more goofy when it comes to feeding and extraction.

The cost of new non-corrosive ammo for either round is about the same, with .308 being slightly cheaper.

I don't shoot corrosive unless I am going to shoot a half case or more. When I shoot non-corrosive I don't generally clean my rifle until I'm over 400 rounds..

My time is worth something, I don't want to spend an hour detail cleaning a rifle to save $10.

Its the same reason I don't reload regular shotgun loads, only 00buck, slugs, or other high cost loadings.

Not to mention the long term availability of .308.

Yeah I just bought a crate of 880 rounds from my friend and don't have a rifle that shoots 54R lol...and not even a mosin. I've wanted a SVD for a while but all I've seen are the Romanian ones. Are they any good? If not with kind should I get and what's the average price range?

Thanks

• Like 1

The Romanian PSL is a decently made glorified AK that shoots 7.62x54r but only the light stuff, no heavy rounds for this thing. If it were up to me i would save up for a Vepr 7.62x54r and i currently have been saving up to get one. It can take the hot rounds and has also said to be far more accurate than the PSL even some may say it is almost as accurate as the Tigr.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

well im thinking of steppin up my game and just getting the tigr now, that is unless somehow they come out with new mags for the vepr and i doubt it. been watching waiting for newer mag to go o n the market other than 5rnd ones...so hopefully in the next 3-4 months when i get one someone will opt to help me get it to accept some better steel psl or tigr mags. i have heard/seen some of the stuff people wrote on other forums. but im def digging the psl's looks and thats what i want to go for with the wood furniture wise but uhmm now i am kinda like..should i get the 20, 23, or 27 inch barrel? 27 inch barrel is what im looking at anyways .

Yeah I just bought a crate of 880 rounds from my friend and don't have a rifle that shoots 54R lol...and not even a mosin. I've wanted a SVD for a while but all I've seen are the Romanian ones. Are they any good? If not with kind should I get and what's the average price range?

Thanks

veprs are better, but cost a lot more than the psl i seen here locally. the 2 psl's i shot were very nice. no fuck ups of any kind, but i dont own either. but im also not sure on mag availability on either one, but i would take that into consideration.

Edited by Captain Hero

no question, get the vepr. i have a psl and while it is cool and i like the looks, it is not very accurate. and that is the whole point of a dmr. i have tried the scope that comes with it, a Nikon with a side mount, and a cheaper 4-16-50 scope on it and the best groups, if you can call it that, at 100 yards i could get laying down with a bipod was about 8 inches for a 5 shot group. i have shot way better groups than that with my 5.45 saiga. i am sure that the verp will be a lot more accurate in any caliber. if you go 54r i would get the 23" personally. it is long enough to get a good burn on the surplus ammo powder and not as long as the 26" barrel of my psl that is really just unwieldy. it is almost impossible for me to shoot my psl standing up accurately, but i am short and only weigh like 135. as for the slant cut receiver css already make an adapter so you can use regular ak stocks on the verp. so problem solved if you need an adapert they are out there. get a psl wood set, or Rhineland arms stock set and verp, i think you would be happy with that setup.

Edited by rogers
  • Like 1

the psl i shot wasnt that accurate either. at least, not for having an optic. could have been the scope though, how it was set? who knows. but i know the russian dragunovs are much, much better than any psl. i think my '39 mosin is better, or as good as the 2nd psl i shot at 100, but the 1st on i shot was pretty nice.