Canted Top Cover, and warrantee issues

I belong to another forum where several members have been reporting that their top rails are canted. I'd say the ratio is about 1/4th of those that ordered, so 5 out of 20. Those with canted rails placed orders with all the major online gun stores, so it's not specific to any store. I know in the past that Cadiz was the go-to (but no longer) for warrantee issues with the saiga 12. What are their options to fix the canted rail or canted sights?

10-25-12006.jpg

Edited by vitamink
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think the U.S. customer's care whether the cant effects accuracy or POI. What they care about, is their gun not looking like a fucked up piece of shit.   Tony

It appears that the problem most likely originates from inconsistent "spring-back" of the sheet metal top cover when it is released from the form die. Could be issues with the substrate material or t

We feel that if a gun is defective out of the box the shipping should be covered both ways making a customer pay ship on a defective item only adds insult to injury.

Posted Images

The one i ordered is perfectly fine and is probably the finest example of craftsmanship to ever leave Russia. I asked the others for more pictures and if they send them i'll post em. They all say the same thing and that it's canted to the same side.

I just got mine tonight and the rail is quite misaligned with the barrel. As soon as the back of the dust cover is released, it pops about .200" to the left and requires a solid push to the right to latch again. My aimpoint was visibly canted. I'm not really too happy about it. I'd be interested in having it fixed but would frankly rather trade it for one that was straight to begin with. For all the hype about molots excellent quality I am definetely disappointed with this aspect of the gun.

Mine looks good and straight, it does swing maybe .100" to the right when i open the cover but it's easy to snap into place. Only thing I've found that is a little off to me is the lower handguard retainer has some forward/backward play about 1/16", not sure if thats very common with how the retainer is contained.. I won't worry about shimming it yet as the handguard is still next to impossible to remove.

Mine looks good and straight, it does swing maybe .100" to the right when i open the cover but it's easy to snap into place. Only thing I've found that is a little off to me is the lower handguard retainer has some forward/backward play about 1/16", not sure if thats very common with how the retainer is contained.. I won't worry about shimming it yet as the handguard is still next to impossible to remove.

There's handguard play on mine too, but I intend to replace those -- will see how it goes trying to get RPK wood in place.

There's handguard play on mine too, but I intend to replace those -- will see how it goes trying to get RPK wood in place.

Same here, looking to put a quad rail on mine but I'm trying to holding out for something besides the $250 Mako.

Some time it happens with plastic rails sad.png

I've got the same problem even on hand made custom Vepr-12, I agree that is looks bad and annoying a litte bit.

I've solved this problem, just moved mark point on my EOTech less then 1 min.

Updated:

1) Vepr-12 was burn as assault shotgun - it's not for ugly Saiga-12 lovers (without hand grip & classic shotgun buttstock, IMHO these Saigas the ugliest thing, that was made under classic design of Michail Kalashnikov AK)- it's for Brutal guys from Police & Army.

2) The distance of usage: from Point-blank to 25-50 yards, for this distance the Vepr-12 front & rear sight is enough.

3) To adjust complex of Verp-12 front & rear sight is easier then any Saiga-12 Sights, because RPK rear sight (leaf) has righ/left correction.

4) Top rail on dust cover is an Option for optics red dot sights, that Must be adjusted Up/Dawn and Left/Right after mounting on any weapon. Guys who try to use Scope optic on shotguns don't understand the difference between Shotgun and Rifle.

5) I don't understand how mounted on canted rail and adjusted Red Dot Sight affect to firing accuracy. Sergii was 1st on Russian IPSC Shotgun Championship and 16th on World Championship with his Vepr-12 + EOTec on plastic rail.

post-27758-0-93144000-1351703840_thumb.jpg

post-27758-0-48561100-1351703847_thumb.jpg

Edited by PapaZorro
  • Like 1

is it just me or does the above picture look like the sight isnt even down all the way and causing it to make the rail look off center?

It would be hard to get a good picture... but the two Veprs I received both have the rail slightly canted to the left, not as extreme as this picture appears - but they are canted enough it would effect a scope, as they can't be properly mounted with it being that off. Not only is it not level - but I think as the rail goes forward it gets more and more level and centered. where at it's most rearward point it is the most canted and therefore the most off center.

Would it be very easy to switch the dust cover out with one without a rail? Doest the rail attach to the rear sight some how?

I just received back and email to classic arms. They said there has been no complaints from any they have sold so far. So crossing my fingers mine is fine.

Edited by Chevyman097

I am glad you guys posted this before I took the $1k dive into a bad purchase. I think I will just focus on my saiga so I will know what I have instead of having to improve on an already expensive gun.

Saiga-12-030 have the same bug very often... The problem with plastic rails with steel insert fixing technology QC, with AL Molot Arms rails No such problems, but they cost more then plastic!

Edited by PapaZorro

I will check mine tonight. Seems like a minor issue to stop anyone from getting a Vepr12, espically since Saigas have to be fine tuned and this comes out the box ready to go.

I understand its a legitimate complaint about the bad rails but the people using plastic rail or canted rail as a reason to shy away are missing out. To take a Saiga and make it look like a vepr alone would cost more then these cost out the box. That's not including the time and money to fine tune it to fire all loads.

I am not too much concerned with the looks. But the for the price I should not have to do anything to it but add optics and mags. I bought my saiga back in the $450 range days and should only take about $300 to get it the way I want it to look and function with auto gas plug and such with me doing the work of course. I just think the tricked out saiga looks better.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to change the dust cover out with a regular one? Doesnt it attach to the sight block some how?

I have not seen anything that will replace it yet. Yes it does attache to the sight block. Yours is supposed to be there today right?