Thinking about buying a muscle car. What should i get?

I posted a thread a little while back about having gotten a promtion at work and wanting to buy something iconic to celebrate. (sidebar- for those who remember- i still waffle between the garand and the python. i got to see the grizzly tony recommended. damn tony, your a better man then i)

anyways- along with a massive increase in stress levels, the job comes with more money. i convinced the wife a couple years ago to buy a new dodge challenger at some point after i get the pay bump.. i'm by no stretch a car guy, but when i look at it, damn, i want one. i was planning on getting one coming off its lease. i cruised around ebay and found a few with few frills for about 22K.i don't want new ( hey the bump ain't THAT good) so this is about my threshold.

Anyways, i kinda had my heart set on this when i started cruising through older muscle car ads.the point is, there is some nice 70ish vintage muscle to be had out there. i've seen some go for about 19k with some work needed. i've been looking at the gto's and the challengers ( i love burn notice, the wife wants to name our soon to be born child fiona/michael) but i really don't know jack about cars. what should i get? new or old? suggetions on vintage?

if i go old. ideally, i'd like to find a guy within 200+ miles to restore her slowly (2-3 years) paying around 15k to start with a MAX of 23-25k finished. i don't know much about cars (i change my own oil/brakes/basics) but i don't really want to join a car forum. i do plan to go to a few cars shows this summer- but i'd like to do some research this winter. what cars bring back found testosterone pumped memories for ya'll?

also- i live near chicago- so this car would only see the road about 5 months out of the year- the rest would be up on a lift in the garage

any input would would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

vintage for me. if i had a bunch of money i would get a '66 mustang fastback and redo the suspension, disc brakes, and put in the new 5.0 in it. you can't go wrong with the chevelles of that era, and if you do a youtube search for a 67 fairlane, you might be hooked. the options are endless really, it just depends on your style. also, are you set on a car? my '66 f100 with a built 390 is pretty sweet. not done yet. but i could drive a thousand miles just listening to that motor/exhaust.

post-40903-0-42324900-1352520601_thumb.jpg

I'd import an australian Falcon and slowly build it up to a Pursuit Special. I guarantee you will never see another one, and be the star of the car show. As long as you look good in leather pants. madmaxcars.com has one already imported and partially done for $15k, no drivetrain.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 2

I'd import an australian Falcon and slowly build it up to a Pursuit Special. I guarantee you will never see another one, and be the star of the car show. As long as you look good in leather pants. madmaxcars.com has one already imported and partially done for $15k, no drivetrain.

the new ones aren't really my flavor, but man, the old ones look sweet! overall though, would you guys recommend spending the money on a restoration? i can't afford these cars going for 60k+ with "all original VIN parts" personally, i don't care if the part was made last week on a 3d printer so long as it works properly. should i just go for the new challenger? it does have a very classic look. but something about those old cars with the rough exhaust and the flat rubber tires... they make the dos eqius guy look like a shoe selling prius driver who plants pansies is his spare time.

Now you have opened a can of worms! Gotta go old school. Late 60's Goat or early 70's Chevelle is sweet. My personal favorite is 68-72 Vette convertible (preferably big block) but even 350 cc drivers are appreciating faster than my income. Hope you get something nice. If I can't own one, I can appeciate those who do!

• Like 2

you need to ask yourself a basic question. Do you have the time and desire to deal with the problems a older car presents. weather you are having it restored or buying one turn key, even good restorations need a lot more care and attention than a new car. they always seem to have things that need to be fixed or redone, and the upgrading never stops once you start. first you decide it needs new disc brakes then, fuel injection, then rack and pinion steering it just doesn't stop. then after all that you don't want to drive it in the rain and if it gets hit it is not easy to get it fixed, or cheap. On the other hand the new car offers great drive ability, reliability, comfort, and if anything happens to it you can get parts and knowledgeable service easily. i myself have a 66 mustang coupe and love it. but it is not an everyday driver, and does not get used much, especially now that i have kids. And if it has problems I know the car inside and out because i built it. So ask your self if you want an ongoing project or a toy to go out and play in.

20110507202446.jpg

Edited by rogers
  • Like 3

Ok, I own a few, and allow me a few comments.

1. Vintage is a term for wine. The cars are either "classic" or, the older ones, "antique." Watch Gran Torino, see the ditz grandkid say to Clint

something about his "vintage car." Yeah, that's how anyone saying that sounds.

2. Old cars take WORK. They will not be as reliable, as theft proof, as comfortable, as fast, or have anywhere near the features of a new car.

You MUST garage them or they WILL go to shit. If you love your old car, you will worry about it, especially when out and about. Carry tools and

a fire extinguisher.

3. Nobody makes money restoring and selling old cars. A 67 442 convertible 4 speed restored is worth about 35ish. A hardtop version is 27ish

A hardtop automatic is 20ish. But, they still take about the same to restore in dollars. So, UNLESS you find some rare beast in restorable shape,

you're going to put more money into it than it will end up being worth, paying someone to restore it.

4. Which is why you should buy one done already. Go to old car swap meets and ralleys. Half the shit at the good guys and super chevy meets

is for sale. Find something you like that fits your wallet, hire an inspection, and buy it if it looks good. It's done, you've got it, and you're not in the hole

digging deeper.

5. If you got a kid, or you want to do it yourself, buy a project car. I got one sitting in a garage, waiting for restoration, once I get a house. I'll do

damn near all of it myself.

6. You have to decide what matters to you. Big engines command big money, but the normal engines ones are easier to drive. 4 door cars are cheaper

because they don't look cool. Do you want the original engine? To me, part of the thing is yes, this car is on the original powerplant, but many take

the easier road and put modern power in. Some people want all original. Some people want to mod. Some people don't care.

7. Do you want rare and a pain to find parts, or relatively common and easy. You can go faster, cheaper, and easier, with Chevy cars since the aftermarket

is HUGE. Mopar and Ford are good too. Oldsmobile, Buick, AMC, etc etc, not so much.

8. Every car club has a few decent people and a LOT of assholes. Anyone who is "my brand is awesome and all the others suck" is as dumb as a box of rocks.

They're all good. Find what you like. Some trends follow. Mopars rust. Fords blow water pumps. GMs leak around the rear window on the A bodies, etc, etc.

So, my advice is go read a few books on muscle cars, look at some pictures, find what you like that fits your budget, go check ebay, local ads, car shows, and

swap meets, and buy a nicely restored car that you can enjoy immediately.

• Like 6

Voltia hit it on the head with his advice. I grew up around Muscle Cars and have owned several I wish I'd never parted with because of what they are worth now. Anything that has some kind of performance package, ie. Super Sport, 442, is going to cost you. A GTO will really cost you. My neighbor just sold one for $38k. My dad is a MOPAR guy and has a Charger that would fetch around $35k on the market. Lots of the cool MOPAR cars worth having run pretty high as well. The Superbird or Daytona is way out of your price range even if it was a basket case in a barn FYI. Old cars are cool but do need attention. Newer Muscle Cars are faster, stop and handle better, and are definitely safer. I'm quite happy with my 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS. Good luck!

• Like 3

You could get one of the new GT500's, or the new Camaro ZL1. Both are a bit pricey though. The Camaro beat out the GT500 Mustang on the track though. It wasnt as fast, but offered better handling and was able to do its track times consistantly, where the 2013 GT500 ran one fast ass lap and got worse with lack of consistancy.

I'll chime in here....you could go the new route or the vintage route but one thing I'd look at is 4th Generation F-bodies either a Camaro or Firebird. You can find one that has been modded and hot rodded for $8-$12k that performance-wise will definitely put a smile on your face. These cars have been around long enough to have a big enthusiast community for support, are still relatively new technology-wise (the mighty LS engine) but are old enough to have had the price go way down to the point where you can have a no shit muscle car and money left over to do other things.

Just my opinion and it's definitely biased, I'm a GM 4th Gen F-Body fan.

Congrats on your new earnings.

Careful with those muscle cars. They can become a fun bad habit fast with a lot of hidden costs.

I grew up around them. My first car was a 65 GTO. Took my dad and I two years to get it back on the road. Many of my buddies had muscle cars. Owned a 78 Trans Am and few other older vehicles too. All were fun in their own special way. Those were great days and gas was cheap. Muscle cars do require work and money to keep them running right (garage, tools etc). I was a teen, had the time, passion and a decent construction job. I sold cars to go to college. My friends and family said I would never own another one.

Some 25+ years later there is a 10 Challenger in my drive. The new generation muscle cars are very fun. Major difference seems to be they are safer, more luxurious and no wrenching required. Just get in and drive. Pretty damn fast for stock and I can die happy now that I've owned a Hemi.

front1.jpg

Good luck with your adventure.

Also figure in hidden tax of tickets and insurance increase.

Edited by NM0

...that is really comparing apples to oranges IMO.

It most definitely is, this was part of my point, cost-wise they are in two greatly different categories. I've seen some for sale that would pretty much spank any stock 5th Gen for $20k less. They aren't the "latest and greatest" but they will put you back in the seat for pennies on the dollar compared to a new car. Even LT based cars will get the blood pumping and you can get those for $5-$6K.

If money is no object I'd go to a dealership and order a one of a kind car. But I don't know if I'll ever be in the position to do that...most likely not.