So I found this rifle magazine at work, in a box of miscellaneous odds and ends that were being thrown out. I saved it from the scrap bin. I'm not sure what it belongs to so I thought maybe someone here would. It seems to be a solid extruded piece of aluminum with a plastic follower and steel floor plate. It looks like its meant for a 5.56/.223 cartridge and maybe holds 30 rnds... but can't say for sure. The follower has a spring loaded articulation to seemingly push the tip of the cartridge up.

IMG_08331.jpg

IMG_08341.jpg

Anyone know?

Edited by Mythos

No markings... no numbers or letters of any sort.

Also, you can't really see it in the picture but the top portion of the magazine also has a slight angle converging with the angle of the bottom plate.

You can also see it has that angled rocker wedge that sticks out. I think that might be a clue, since it implies a rock and lock reloading motion as opposed to straight in feed of the magazine into a well.

except for a couple exceptions, rifle mags, especially ones that are 30 rounds have a curve to them, to feed reliably, this one is straight.

if I had to guess, it looks like a experimental mag that hit a dead end, judging that the follower has a spring loaded articulation to push the tip of the cartridge up. no mag has that peculiar follower feature

as to what rifle it was meant for, that'a head scratcher. the front of the locking lug looks like the mags "rocks and locks" into a mag well. but that's the only clue I can come up with

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I work at a company that manufactures ordnance and fuzing for the military, no small arms, but my impression was this was just something some old timer left at his desk after he retired.

Probably a dead end project. Some rifle being built for the defense market that never saw the light of day.

The follower is likely intended to compensate for the absence of a curve.. Which works on drawings better then in the field.

Care to post a picture of the internals?

I'll throw some internal pictures up tonight when I get home.

None of the pics I found online looked like it beyond the angled floorplate common to some of the european straight mags. If it weren't for some of the strange features, I thought it looked a bit like a FAMAS mag, but only supperficially.

It looks like a shorter cartridge in the side by side with the AR mag. If you compare an AK x39mm mag with an AR mag, you'll see what I am talking about. Damn near looks like a x39mm mag of some type. Have you tried to rock and lock it into an AK? Stout looking mag though looking at the thickness on that one pic. The feed lips look AK-ish.

Edited by MT Predator

It looks like a shorter cartridge in the side by side with the AR mag. If you compare an AK x39mm mag with an AR mag, you'll see what I am talking about. Damn near looks like a x39mm mag of some type. Have you tried to rock and lock it into an AK? Stout looking mag though looking at the thickness on that one pic. The feed lips look AK-ish.

I see what you mean. It certainly looks like this mag is meant for a just slightly shorter cartridge.

It certainly looks like this mag is meant for a just slightly shorter cartridge.

you can't go by that, the 74 mag has a much shorter bullet guide for the cartridge. the key is the length of the mag itself to accommodate the round

Edited by Matthew Hopkins