Doomsday Preppers -- What a Bunch of Idiots!

Before you jump, I mean the TV show on Nat Geo, not preppers in general...

Man oh man the show tonight really got under my skin. The one about the retired chiropracter and his "Alamo" in Texas. The dude was in a semi enclosed shed without hearing protection while his friend shot a 5.56 right beside him -- then he blames his friend for messing up and crys like a baby while whining about loosing his hearing. He also has his 2 small boys lying in the prone position on his porch with AR's exposed while running a protection drill... the dude really struck me as semi dangerous and definately wierd -- the show really reaches into the fringe areas of prepper mania. Don't get me wrong, prepping is the right thing to do but sheesh, get some training people. Just because someone has professed to growing up with firearms does not mean they know what they are doing. That dude on the show tonight really proved it to me.

Sad Fact: less than 7 percent of the total population of the U.S. is either serving or has EVER served in the military. No wonder we are going down the tubes...

• Like 5

Just to add to the above.. training is NOTHING if not practiced!

Sooo many people GET training and then never DO anything with it...

use it or lose it!

what "training" are you refering to? going to one of those wannabe fantasy camps? if so, that isn't training by any streatch of the imagination. it's simply a way to seperate money from gear queer fatties who think that dressing up and playing Army they are getting "training". the other main priority of these fantasy camps is to hawk all these useless videos, books, and chinese made crap like leg holster, LBVs etc... to these suckers. but they do get a MS OFFICE computer generated certificate, to hang on their wall, guess that right there is worth several hundred dollars

all these fantasy camps are franchised, just like a BURGER KING, PIZZA HIT etc.. . the guy that buys that franchise, doesn't even have to know which end of the rifle a bullet comes out of, he hires whoever, they go by a script from the head office. and fills these wannabe heads with what basically is a lot of bull, some of which is taken straight from whatever book the guy that started that company wrote.

I get a laugh everytime I read some wannabe telling everybody on a certain gunboard, how great a "training" he got from XX. how the hell would be even know? if he never even spent one day in the military?

if you want training, go to a recruiter's office, raise your hand and join the Military.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

if you want training, go to a recruiter's office, raise your hand and join the Military.

I did!

You're right! Never practice! wink.png

That being said, it is kinda hard to do fire team drills by yourself... & I always seemed to qualify better after a week of snapping in...

You also have to remember it IS A Hollywood production so they will pick the oddest ducks to make show better. It is also another way for the liberal left to portray ALL gun owners as a bunch of Elmor Fudds. With less sense than a rabbit making them way too dangerous to carry a gun! What do you think the general public thinks when they see shows like this? Drink the kool aid quick everyone before it is too late!

• Like 1

Alot of these guys they show are high IQ. Problem is, like my uncle-in-law, they have no common sense what so ever. Wearing hp is a must, you can roll through countless books written by war vets and figure that out, vets all the way down to WWI maybe even further back.

Unfortunately the media wants to make preppers look like they're stupid and foolish. I've ran across many, most are good people who are most importantly, concerned about the direction the government and the world around them are headed.

As for my uncle-in-law, he's hardly hillbilly, he's an intellectual, PhD owning, vegan, no meat on his bones, libtard. Pray for me. smh

• Like 2

I know two guys associated with prepper shows on TV. What I have learned from their experience is that what shows on TV is BS. What makes to the air is so edited chopped and glued back together it does not resemble what was actually happening. Some "scenes" are shot over several days and you get a few seconds from one day played right next to another days clip...., and TV is for ratings - the more fringe and entertaining you are the more airtime you get. If 2 people are saying the same thing and one is calm and reasonable but the other is waving their arms and wild eyed - the wild man gets on TV. So even if what was said makes sense, it comes across as stupidity. And oh yeah - even the wild man loses camera time to any hottie - even if she has no idea what she is talking about.

Edited by Groovy Mike
  • Like 2

Always makes me laugh listening to someone who watches "reality" TV run straight to the gun forums bitching and moaning about how bad it sucks...LOL. If ya don't like something stay away from it and save yourself the fucking stress, geez.

As for the military and knowledge of firearms..... I call bullshit on that too. I've met LOTS of folks who were in the military and still don't know jack shit about firearms. I have nothing but respect for the military, ALL branches, being a retired soldier, Marine, etc doesn't give you the right to go around bagging on everyone else who didn't serve. Some of us served our country well in other areas.

Edit to add > I've never watched the show myself, but I do know others like myself who are concerned and are "prepping" in their own ways. They don't watch shows like that religiously and use them to get all their "training" or knowledge. Many of us have been "prepping" since long before prepping was cool, or had a trendy name.

• Like 12

Well said Cobra. I am not a man of many words. I agree with you 100%. I too have met many militay trained personell whom do not know how to use a firearm properly. I quite often see them at the ranges not watching where the muzzle is pointed, fingers on the triggers, handling their firearms while others are down range ect.. A blanket statement making it sound like the Military is the only way to go is a little arrogant. I wish I was able to serve in the Military. Due to a medical issue I had to find other ways to serve, Law enforcement, firefighting, EMT.

Now back to the main topic. The prepper shows on tv have made it almost embarrasing to talk to anyone about storing food, ammo, and having a plan for survival. People watch these shows and think everyone that does it is a nut job. I do think they have done some good. They brought prepping out to the public. I think more people are planning for future survival than before the shows aired.

Personally any awareness is good. Unfortunatly in many cases the media is irrisponsible in the way they portray people like us. ( Gun owners, survivalists, preppers, the Sheep dogs of society.

I really enjoy reading everyones opinions, You guys are awesome and I have found so much usefull information on my Saiga 12. I feel indebted to all of you. Keep up the great posts.

Mike

Edited by Mwestra
  • Like 4

I gave up on doomsday prepping when I had kids. I'm now dedicated to civilization maintaining. Just a few suppies to hold me over in case of a Katrina or whatever, a few weeks.

I think most doomsday preppers are idiots, a view ive held since I was a young teen reading King's The Stand. I remember there was a chapter where one guy scratches a nail, dies of tetanus. One guy sprains an ankle, cant get home and dies of exposure. Etc, etc. There are a billion things that can kill without this shelter of civilization, and no single person can cover everything. The only hope really is a commune where there are enough trained doctors, nurses, engineers, welders, etc to handle all the issues AND train the next generations AND hold off looters.

However, id never do anything to stop them, and even encourage it with tax breaks on shelters, land, large ammo purchases, etc. There's always a chance, and while I may not want to live in a post-apocalyptic world, the preppers are gonna be the ones who become the new definition of humanity if/when. Im a strong believer in insurance, so when that day comes, keep carrying the fire guys, and good luck.

I know two guys associated with prepper shows on TV. What I have learned from their experience is that what shows on TV is BS. What makes to the air is so edited chopped and glued back together it does not resemble what was actually happening.

Having heard from a few people on reality TV, yeah, its entertainment period and they will cut and splice any way they want to push the viewpoint they like, or keeps more viewers. Since most people want validation that they are smart and their biases are warranted, thats what we're gonna get.

• Like 1

I call these things "Psuedo Reality" shows. And thats how I talk with people about them. Sanity is not entertaining, so we get to watch all the biggest goobers muck up what we take very seriously. Remind people that TV is NOT reality and most will at least acknowledge that, which brings you back to a rational conversation. I watch them when I run across them, if nothing better is on. Which, sadly, is often. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed in the "Survivor" series. Lets see them survive Greenland in their bikinis and shit, lol.

Always makes me laugh listening to someone who watches "reality" TV run straight to the gun forums bitching and moaning about how bad it sucks...LOL. If ya don't like something stay away from it and save yourself the fucking stress, geez.

As for the military and knowledge of firearms..... I call bullshit on that too. I've met LOTS of folks who were in the military and still don't know jack shit about firearms. I have nothing but respect for the military, ALL branches, being a retired soldier, Marine, etc doesn't give you the right to go around bagging on everyone else who didn't serve. Some of us served our country well in other areas.

Edit to add > I've never watched the show myself, but I do know others like myself who are concerned and are "prepping" in their own ways. They don't watch shows like that religiously and use them to get all their "training" or knowledge. Many of us have been "prepping" since long before prepping was cool, or had a trendy name.

Cobra

Thank you for your concern. I feel all warm and cuddly now.

I also agree with you on some points. When I first entered the military as a tanker, I would definately say I was trained to be only mildly dangerous with firearms = we used to pry apart .50 cal rounds, pour out the grains, punch a hole in the tracer, and put the casing on top of the "gunpowder" with the bullet on the casing and light the thing off to see the tracer fly off in any direction. As I progressed and was able to be assigned to some very high speed low drag type units, I also progressed in my weapons proficiency. Also, you caught me. I am unabashedly proud of my service and can and will say unreservedly that if you have not served in the military or police forces of the United States that you do not have that certain something that service inculcates. Don't ask me what that is, I leave it for those much smarter than myself to quantify but there is a seperation albeit however minute between a person who has served and those who have not. I am not saying anything bad about those who have not served so please don't let that defensive instinct erupt please. All I am saying is that service for the most part changes one for the better.

Okay, here we go!

Edited by Odd Man Out
  • Like 2

Have a nice day. Sorry to disappoint you and thanks for your service. smile.png

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me... Wasn't that some brilliant military guy that blew his hand off using a .50 BMG round for a hammer?

laugh.png021.gifrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I think one of the big misconceptions held by anti-gunners is that some sort of magical enlightenment happens in the military and LEO training that makes a person finally worthy of wielding a firearm; where civilian peons are too stupid and incapable of fathoming the power of a firearm.

People who are not responsible and seekers of knowledge (i.e. they already know everything) around any type of potentially dangerous tools or machinery are a threat to themselves and others. It doesn't matter how much training you have if you become complacent, careless or reckless.

That said, I was not impressed with the basic marksmanship training in the military. Depending on your MOS and skillset, you may not get much more than periodic refreshers and requalifications with your weapons after basic training. I am sure the same goes for some of those in Law Enforcement. Meeting the minimum standards typically means you are not an immediate danger to yourself and others. Meanwhile other individuals in the military and law enforcement will go onto become some of the most elite and skilled in the world through selective processing and rigorous and comprehensive training.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 4

I think one of the big misconceptions held by anti-gunners is that some sort of magical enlightenment happens in the military and LEO training that makes a person finally worthy of wielding a firearm; where civilian peons are too stupid and incapable of fathoming the power of a firearm.

People who are not responsible and seekers of knowledge (i.e. they already know everything) around any type of potentially dangerous tools or machinery are a threat to themselves and others. It doesn't matter how much training you have if you become complacent, careless or reckless.

That said, I was not impressed with the basic marksmanship training in the military. Depending on your MOS and skillset, you may not get much more than periodic refreshers and requalifications with your weapons after basic training. I am sure the same goes for those in Law Enforcement. Meeting the minimum standards typically means you are not an immediate danger to yourself and others. Meanwhile other individuals in the military and law enforcement will go onto become some of the most elite and skilled in the world through selective processing and rigorous and comprehensive training.

Very well said. I have the utmost respect for our law enforcement officers, but they are just as human as any of us are. I guarantee I could out-shoot a significant number of LEOs with any firearm. As far as the percentage I could outshoot, I don't know and I couldn't give it. I just have faith in my shooting and feel I have a solid firearm proficiency (at least at the range). That being said, I know some LEOs who could run circles around me with their firearm skills.

Edited by socom688

Ok so joining the military will get me my training.....right? Basic training is just that, basic. It's to bring everyone to the same level. No problem. But, what if after basic my MOS is a computer programmer, truck driver, mechanic, lawyer, or a million other non combat roles? Not everyone in the military is infantry. So would I get the same level of training as them?

I worked with a guy who was in the Army in the 60's. When I asked him what he was issued he said "a radio". So I asked if he had a firearm. He said "yea we shot some type of rifle every so often".

This isn't a bust on anyone in the military, but they don't all get the same training. Civilian training actually has a point!

• Like 2

Have a nice day. Sorry to disappoint you and thanks for your service. smile.png

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me... Wasn't that some brilliant military guy that blew his hand off using a .50 BMG round for a hammer?

laugh.png021.gifrolleyes.gif

No worries about dissapointing -- one first needs expectations and investment

I'm sorry if I stepped within boundaries and touched a nerve.

Ok so joining the military will get me my training.....right? Basic training is just that, basic. It's to bring everyone to the same level. No problem. But, what if after basic my MOS is a computer programmer, truck driver, mechanic, lawyer, or a million other non combat roles? Not everyone in the military is infantry. So would I get the same level of training as them?

I worked with a guy who was in the Army in the 60's. When I asked him what he was issued he said "a radio". So I asked if he had a firearm. He said "yea we shot some type of rifle every so often".

This isn't a bust on anyone in the military, but they don't all get the same training. Civilian training actually has a point!

I agree, just because one served does not make them "better" or Rambo. If you are non combat arms, your weapons training may be limited to what you got in basic and 1/2 yearly qualification course -- that's during peacetime. And ANY good training civvy or military is good to get fer sure.

Back to the original topic. A friend just called me and said he watched the "Prepping" show lastnight. He recently came into some money and thought he should do that. He asked if I would like to be part of his Prepping network. Aparently he has a couple friends, they are all going to pool their money and store enough food and water for all of them in a storage unit down the street. He asked if I would be interested in putting in $1000 then we would have everything we need.

LOL!!! Here are a few thoughts that came to mind:

THOUGHT 1-Say no, When doomsday comes follow him and use my Saiga to steal their food and water.

THOUGHT 2-I dont feel comfortable sharing my prepping location or my stored necessities with others. Others can not be trusted with my survival. they may decide to use thought 1.

THOUGHT 3- An offsite storage area that requires me to drive a gas powered vehicle several miles into the city during a large scale catastrophie sounds like a suicide mission.

THOUGHT 4- everyones priorities are different, If we rely on food and water in a storage unit. what happens when it runs out.

I think their money is better spent by investing in training( wilderness survival training, firearms training, medical/First aid, Finding alternate sources of food and water, stocking up on guns ammo, and learning to fight, shoot, and stab to protect and feed their families.

When civilization breaks down, the gloves are off. Fight to survive.. I want nothing to do with his prepping group. Am I way off on my thinking? What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

Back to the original topic. A friend just called me and said he watched the "Prepping" show lastnight. He recently came into some money and thought he should do that. He asked if I would like to be part of his Prepping network. Aparently he has a couple friends, they are all going to pool their money and store enough food and water for all of them in a storage unit down the street. He asked if I would be interested in putting in $1000 then we would have everything we need.

LOL!!! Here are a few thoughts that came to mind:

THOUGHT 1-Say no, When doomsday comes follow him and use my Saiga to steal their food and water.

THOUGHT 2-I dont feel comfortable sharing my prepping location or my stored necessities with others. Others can not be trusted with my survival. they may decide to use thought 1.

THOUGHT 3- An offsite storage area that requires me to drive a gas powered vehicle several miles into the city during a large scale catastrophie sounds like a suicide mission.

THOUGHT 4- everyones priorities are different, If we rely on food and water in a storage unit. what happens when it runs out.

I think their money is better spent by investing in training( wilderness survival training, firearms training, medical/First aid, Finding alternate sources of food and water, stocking up on guns ammo, and learning to fight, shoot, and stab to protect and feed their families.

When civilization breaks down, the gloves are off. Fight to survive.. I want nothing to do with his prepping group. Am I way off on my thinking? What are your thoughts?

I think a lot of this depends on the type of catastrophe. If it is disease, you may be better served being a hermit living far from civilization and living off the land. It takes a special skill set and mindset to do this.

The fewer people that know about your reserve resources, the safer they are from being looted or plundered.

I don't think that it is a bad idea to have a week or two worth of supplies since brown outs/black outs or natural disasters like fires, earthquakes, floods etc. can make it so resupplies are put on hold for a certain length of time.

I agree on the survival training.

The only things that cannot be stolen or taken away from you are your knowledge and skills.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer