I wonder how much the live grenade brought? That should be at least a $200 card. I don't mind the buy program, but I don't like that it's paid for with tax dollars and then destroyed when law abiding citizens would be happy to buy most of the guns. Seems like flushing cash down the toilet.

A lot of people end up with a gun in a closet that they got somehow a long time ago.. They have no interest in keeping it and are not storing it properly, or even checking to see if its still in their home.

A buyback if done by a sport shooting group would actually be more effective, since it would be able to recover a small amount of the loss by selling any valuable guns to a legal gun shop for resale. I would bet that many people that could benefit from a buyback are actually turned off from the idea by the guns destruction.

The idea is just to gather loose unwanted guns from an area to prevent their possible use in crimes.. Its not actually a bad idea, its just the destruction aspect that I don't agree with.

I've actually thought of doing one in my area to test the idea of a pro-gun, gun buy back.

A lot of people end up with a gun in a closet that they got somehow a long time ago.. They have no interest in keeping it and are not storing it properly, or even checking to see if its still in their home.

A buyback if done by a sport shooting group would actually be more effective, since it would be able to recover a small amount of the loss by selling any valuable guns to a legal gun shop for resale. I would bet that many people that could benefit from a buyback are actually turned off from the idea by the guns destruction.

The idea is just to gather loose unwanted guns from an area to prevent their possible use in crimes.. Its not actually a bad idea, its just the destruction aspect that I don't agree with.

I've actually thought of doing one in my area to test the idea of a pro-gun, gun buy back.

In some area's your idea would be a benefit, but in others pretty sure draconian enforcement forbid it.

I do think though that it would have some response to reasons you've given.

People have attained a firearm threw a relative or friend somehow all legit but have no interest with it but at the same time don't want to

add the anti numbers of forfeited arms.

So in a dark area it sits.

I think a pro-gun buy back would be fine. Although people in the situation described above do have that option available already. Take it to any FFL and sell it. You get cash and you can be reasonably sure that the gun will not be resold illegally. Maybe it's a lack of advertising or something, but that option is always available. I don't agree with gun buybacks sponsored by the government sanctioned organizations. It is a waste of tax payer dollars. Most of the firearms turned in are rusted, broken or otherwise inoperable, and turning them in in no way improves public safety, and on the flip side, turning in a nice functional firearm for destruction for a $20 gift card to Target or Walmart is just a crying shame.

A "buy-back" is false on it's very face. The entity buying them never had them in the first place, so it's not a buy-back. Firearms are seldom "bought back" for fair market value, thus screwing over the people selling them.

It's just another tool in the confiscatory element's toolbox to disarm and then subdue the masses.

• Like 1

Actually a lot of people won't sell a gun to an FFL because they did not "register it" and don't want to get arrested.. Which is funny since few states have registration of firearms.

Give them a well advertised way to get rid of it and they will take way less then actual value..

Plus a lot of guns at these "buybacks" are not fully functioning, no FFL is going to give money for a broken gun. However even a "broken" gun will likely still fire a round and is thus still a danger if not stored safely.

Then there is another factor. People sometimes end up with a gun that they bought that they think may be stolen.. They want the gun gone, and need money but are worried about legal problems should they try selling it.

People who bring guns in for a $100 gift card are generally not the kind of gun owners that are safe and responsible.

• Like 1

Please let me not even try to count some of the many ways this "buy back" program or scheme bothers me.  First of all, all the officers involved need to be fired for violating their sworn Constitutional oath.  Oh wait....no oaths are sworn today...I fogot.  Bad me. 

Next I really doubt the law enforcement agency in question has all the reguired BATFE licensing required to deal in the purchase or legal gathering of firearms.  Are they licensed FFL dealers?  Class 3? I do not think federal law allow local law enforcment to break federal law.

Next, all the public employee people involved with this bad scheme need to be indicted, prosocuted (sp) convicted and sententensed (sp) to 20 years in prision for violating the Second Admendment.  Serious here.  They are conducting treasonus (sp) acts.  Spell check not working.

Finally....If all the aspects of the law were conducted and if the gathered firearms were later sold at auction for profit to law abiding citizens without any illegal paperwork, then I might see fit to change my mind.  This is so wrong in so many ways.  My read.  Just me.  HB of CJ

A hundred times better to have all of these unwanted firearms just lying around waiting for some urgent need than to have our local law enforcement agencies breaking the law in so many ways asking people to turn them in.  What is next?  Confisgation? (sp)  I cant spell today.  Sorry.  Too much turkey?

There is lots of talk there about stolen firearms but no mention of trying to identify any of these firearms as stolen property and return them to their rightful owners. Fat chance of that happening in California. But then, it's probably a crime there to have own gun stolen anyway.

There is lots of talk there about stolen firearms but no mention of trying to identify any of these firearms as stolen property and return them to their rightful owners. Fat chance of that happening in California. But then, it's probably a crime there to have own gun stolen anyway.

They do actually check them, I know a relative that got a rifle back from a gun buy back.

They do actually check them, I know a relative that got a rifle back from a gun buy back.

I know in a lot of places they do check them, I don't know about in this case, though. All I see is the quote "All the collected firearms will now be destroyed".

I always wondered why local governments don't have to comply with the ATF's rule about having an FFL to engage in firearms commerce.  Since cities are incorporated and receiving firearms in exchange for money, by not having an FFL, I would think they are in violation of federal law.  It's not the same as a FTF sale.

Macbeau...

Edited by macbeau

$150 per long gun? Hell, I can pick up "gunsmith specials" for under $100 all day long. If something like this were happening in my area I'd buy up all the junkers I could get my hands on and walk off pocketing the profit.

BTW, at the end of the article it specified that it was a live smoke grenade. Only slightly misleading...

That is the exception. Many JX don't bother. 

For sale: F. LLI  PIETTA 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Black Powder Revolver. No bluing left. Barrel badly pitted. Screw heads are mostly damaged. Needs six #11 nipples to fire through a badly pitted barrel. Pretty nice brass trigger guard. Action works. Will make a good lamp. $100 or gift card.

haha.gif haha.gif

bad_smile.gif

One of my friends went to a gun buyback and when he got there he said that others had the same idea that he did and the buyers outnumbered the sellers.  These buybacks are a way to help make people easier targets for criminals who will know that they can't defend themselves.  It's victim disarming and nothing more.