So, my mind is made up, I have to have a 1911.  I know the high end 1911's, Kimber etc. are the shit  I really don't want to drop that kind of cash though.  Some have told me if your not willing to spend a grand plus, don't even think about one.

This Ruger 1911 seems like a nice looking, shooting, solid pistol.  I want the full size, not the commander.

Does anybody have any experience with this model, or have any recommendations on another choice?

I'm trying to keep it under 800.00 if possible.  Thanks for your input.

I wouldnt touch Kimber with a 10ft pole. They were good but in the past few years their QC has been none existant. You either get a gun or a paperweight. I would stick with Springfield or Colt. Nothing about 1911s is interchangable. To run right most parts have to be fitted to that perticular gun. SA has an excellent custom shop that will update whatever you want, however you want. You can start off plain and go from there. They still use forged slides and frames unlike others who use cast.

• Like 2

A friend of mine bought a Taurus 1911. He liked it so much he bought a second one!  :)

He prefers his HK USP, and he has a couple of Glocks, but he said for the money the Taurii can't be beat!

I have a Taurus 24/7 Long Slide .45. Love it! The one time I did have an issue with it, it was repaired under warranty. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Super pleased with mine.  Right out of the box it's a better shooter than I am.  Being my only 1911, I can't compare it to others.  Around 1K through it now with zero problems.  Do carry it when I'm not concerned about deep carry.

When doing research I never read anyone complain about them.  Lot of gun for a good price.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

A friend of mine bought a Taurus 1911. He liked it so much he bought a second one!  smile.png

He prefers his HK USP, and he has a couple of Glocks, but he said for the money the Taurii can't be beat!

I love the price point of the Taurus 1911's for sure.  I have a tracker .22 that I love, and has been trouble free.  There's just so much negativity surrounding Taurus's.  Even though the one I own has been a great gun, it honestly scares the shit out of me to buy another.  

NMO, did you have any trouble finding one?  Seems a year or so back they were hard to find.  I would think by now production would be caught up.

Hoping my lgs has one in the showcase that I can handle, before having them order one.  Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are these going for now?  I'd like to go in with real world numbers so I can haggle if need be.

Edited by Tundra1

After having serviced a few 1911's I will simply say this: get the cheapest, most plain one you can find. Any WWII GI style will work just as reliably as a high end one. Heck, they might even be more reliable. The less fancy crap, the better. Also, you don't want it tight. Tight tolerances are nice in a sterile dirt free environment, but that's not real world.

• Like 2

I don't like Kimber but they do make nice pistols on their higher end. My dad has a few that are nice. They are older guns made before all the rampant production of their pistols. They really crank them out today. The high end "custom" stuff is nice but it is very expensive and not all that great considering your options at that range. Don't feel bad about not getting a Kimber. They are highly over rated. I owned one in the past. Purchased it , fired, failed, smith, factory, replacement, fired, failed, factory, sold.

Everything Taurus ever made and will make is a complete piece of shit. I gave them a try and it almost cost me my hand. Made in Brazil, says it all.

Have you considered buying a used colt? You can find a series 70 around here for a lot less than a grand.

You can spend about 800 bucks on an old Gold Cup National Match and it will kick the ever loving shit out of the tricked out kimbers. Even the fancy shit my dad likes to collect from kimber wont beat the old world guns.

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 1

We have the Rugers at work. People look at them but they are not hoping of the shelves.

I'm looking at a SAR 1911 Doublestack now but at $1100 it won't be anytime soon.

I carry and compete with a Taurus pt145 and love it. Probably 800 to a thousand rounds through it and no issues. Except that it's hard to find accessories that fit on the short rail.

Good luck.

I own a ruger and its the best deal in 1911s its stainless steel no firing pin block and 100% American made. Youll spend nearly a grand getting the next all American made 1911.

I wouldn't own another taurus just google "taurus 380 trigger rest issues" and the second taurus I owned was a38 had one chamber that was cut so out of alignment it would shave jackets from bullets and jam up the cylinder. They were both brand new.

As far a Springfield the GI models are Brazilian made and assembled here.

Kimber seems to be more show and less go. Stick with you gut, get the ruger.

Oh I've got 200 rounds through mine been 100% so far. And accurate as well. Im not a good enough short to tell any accuracy problems. It May not shoot .5 inches at 25 but I can either so it doesnt matter that its a 2 inche gun.

• Like 1

I purchased a Kimber range gun from my LGS, proven to go bang, rarely rented because of ammo cost. After one year they sell them as used guns, something you might want to look in to, I got mine for $800. 

post-13516-0-10861300-1396900634.jpg

• Like 1

Well I came home without a purchase yet.  My lgs had a wide variety of 1911's but most were out of my price range.  They had a Ruger commander 1911, but I want the 5 in. bbl anyways.  I really like the stainless and the only ones they had were the commander and a slew of Kimbers.  They had Remingtons under 800.00 if I recall correctly, but they were blued.  Same with some RIA's that were under 600 I believe, and tons of Springfields in the 800+ range all were blued though.  Not that I have anything against a blued gun, I have quite a few, just had stainless on the brain I guess.

I will say the Remington popped out at me.  I didn't handle anything (the place was ridiculously busy).  Anyone know how that Remington compares with the Ruger?  Pretty close in price, I'm not ruling it out.  

Taurus is the only one Ive ever seen that has had major catostrophic failure over and over and over and over. Usually it likes to dissasemble the entire safety upon firing. Sometimes they like to break the slide release crossbar.

Despite what DLT said they are NOT all the same. Getting the cheapest is a sure bet of getting the worst parts. Quite a lot of parts are MIM now days. MIM can be and is perfectly fine...IF..IF ..MADE PROPERLY. Good molds, good raw materials and proper manufacturing. There is a reason why Companies like Wilson are more expansive, and its not all in the name or extra "fancy crap". All Wilson Combat Bullet Proof parts are CNC machined from solid American Tool Steel. Thats a big difference from pouring some pot metal into a mold in a 3rd world country. This is why you get price differences....of cource that extra "fancy crap" costs money too. Besides that everything is fitted to your gun and not "what parts fit best together". Theres also the slide and frame. What and how are they made? Cast? Or forged?

Buy once cry once. If you cant afford it save up or put on layaway or even use something else as a trade in. Fuck that whole thing about never selling any guns. Guns are a commodity too. They can be used as a trade in to ofset the price. Whats the point in accumulating a whole bunch of random crap? Im all for trading UP. I wont trade an HK for a Taurus but I'll gladly trade a warehouse full of Taurus' for one HK. And one more thing. When doing research find posts or articles that are relevant not just a bunch of guys screaming "I carried my for 20 years and it never let me down" That stuff is BULLSHIT! Pure and simple. Carrying DOES NOT EQUAL shooting. Most people carry their guns often but put less then 1000 rounds a year. Thats not much of a reliability test

Anyone know how that Remington compares with the Ruger?  Pretty close in price, I'm not ruling it out.  

Afraid i can't give you a comparison to the Ruger. All I can say is my Remington R1 has functioned flawlessly and is very accurate.

The R1 has a match grade stainless steel barrel.

Only Kimbers I have are in 10mm. No issues with either. Springfields no issue, yet their frames are imported from Brazil. Couple of the high end custom shop S&W. Only 1911 that ever had issue and sold was a Colt officer model. Neighbor has Ruger as pictured by NMO. Son has Remington GI. Both have around 1,000 rds. No issue except recoil spring replacement, get right one for loads used. Light or heavy. Don't get cheap mags.

• Like 1

Only Kimbers I have are in 10mm. No issues with either. Springfields no issue, yet their frames are imported from Brazil. Couple of the high end custom shop S&W. Only 1911 that ever had issue and sold was a Colt officer model. Neighbor has Ruger as pictured by NMO. Son has Remington GI. Both have around 1,000 rds. No issue except recoil spring replacement, get right one for loads used. Light or heavy. Don't get cheap mags.

Springfields are mode in Brazil, yes............by Imbel