• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I had a scare yesterday & wound up spending 24hrs in the hospital for observation & testing.   Started off my Monday feeling fine, a few hours into my day & I was tired enough to t

Might not be so bad if there wasn't so damn much pain involved  

Monday/Tuesday Thought I was gonna have, or was having a heart attack, went to ER. EKG, Xrays, cardiac enzyme blood tests, cardiac monitoring, nitro, aspirin and three or four other drugs 24 hour o

The ONLY good thing about chest pain is ZERO wait in the ER.  Automatic front o' the line.

Glad yer ok Chile.

I tell ya another that takes you to the head of the line.

Walk in with your hand over your eye, "I have a piece of glass sticking in my eye!"

They take vision pretty seriously too.

And that was a super busy, major hospital ER in San Diego, CA on a Halloween night.

This story sounds better than your heart attack.  Let's hear it Chile...

Yep, another "member of the club" here. Back in March I was doing some light yard work, when I suddenly felt like I'd just run a marathon. Lightheaded, completely out of breath, and mild pressure in my chest. No pain in chest or arms. Sat down for a while, then came in and laid down for a while. BP and pulse were a little low. Went to the nearby UrgentCare, but after waiting an hour for the doctor I felt better by then.

I didn't have any health ins. at the time (laid off last year), so I called Anthem and got it. Then scheduled visit with my doctor- referred to cardiologist... 2 stress tests and a heart-cath. in Aug. Only a 20% restriction in one area, no stent needed and all the heart muscle looks good. He changed my meds, and I just got cleared to start exercising again. I'm in decent shape physically, but my whole life I've never had good endurance. So, starting more cardio exercise, using a pulse monitor to not overdo it.

Also have a new job now, and just got signed-up for company health ins. MUCH lower payments and much lower deductible, too.  smile.png

Edited by Ronin38

To quote my brother- "every day on the green side of the grass is a good one".

Live every day to it's fullest, try to keep your affairs in order so your passing will not burden your loved ones.

AND PARTY!

• Like 2

Way too young with kids to eat it now.

YOUR BODY YOUR CHOICE. Go see a holistic doctor after the regular doctors figure out what is wrong with you. They are actual doctors with a degree and years of practice who do not suck on the tit of pharmaceutical companies. Their best interest is keeping you healthy and happy, not how many kick backs and surgeries they perform for the hospital as a third party private contractor.

How is your blood chemistry? PH? Iodine levels?

I would rather die than go to the hospital again.

• Like 1

Go see a holistic doctor after the regular doctors figure out what is wrong with you. They are actual doctors with a degree and years of practice who do not suck on the tit of pharmaceutical companies.

really, "holistic doctors" 021.gif OK Kramer,  if they do have a medical degree they printed it out on their computer.   why not also tell him to see a physic while you're at it

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Cardiac arrest can happen at any age, especially if your genetically predisposed for it. Just a year ago a friend of mine died from a major cardiac arrest at the age of 29.. he was average build, 5'10 180 lbs. Smoker, yes. But his father had died at 31 the same way. Apparently he was feeling like shit and talked his wife out of calling 911 till it was too late.  Good call be safe.

Big time genetically screwed over here... Both sides of the family have histories for problems with the heart, cancer & diabetes.
Its good you had the foresight to act. You are are also correct in that I don't care how good a shape you may be in if you are genetically predisposed to CAD, diabetes or hypertension and are obese, smoke and eat poorly you are way behind the curve. Not to be critical or negative either, if I remember from various pictures you have posted your are a red head?

Reds are predisposed to the exact problems you described especially vascular anomalys, more genetics. One patient I did years ago , a red, multiple bypass on was 36. This was her 3rd CABG. I've done hundreds of cardiac anesthetics since and I can tell you the Reds are much younger than the general population, closely followed by blacks (hypertension, hypercholesterolemia) and Hispanics ( diabetes, hypertension) and obesity for both.

I think you have a handle on the situation and that is what is most important.

Glad you caught it. sounds like it's time to get healthier.

Last month I had my own scare, when I came down with mild flu symptoms that very rapidly turned into strong daily fevers, weight loss (dropped nearly 8lbs, just didn't want to eat), night sweats, and several other symptoms. It went on for over three weeks. Had numerous blood tests done and 4-5 doctor visits. It finally just went away last week, but it took a lot of energy out of me. I was jogging several times a week and doing lots of push ups this summer, trying to get ready for hunting. I feel like I lost all of that stamina increase over the course of a couple weeks - my muscles still feel weak.

It was a big freakout event because a lot of the symptoms matched leukemia, which my grandfather died of, and both of my parents have had cancer. But, every test came up OK.

I'm 30 and this was the first time in my life that I started thinking seriously about the fact that I don't have a written will.

Edited by mancat

If you go the holistic route, I would not recommend the coffee enema. If you decide on it anyway, go the decaf route.

And I hear it's not the coffee so much, it's getting the dozen donuts up there.

Some of that holistic stuff is just...... no.

• Like 3

If you go the holistic route, I would not recommend the coffee enema. If you decide on it anyway, go the decaf route.

And I hear it's not the coffee so much, it's getting the dozen donuts up there.

Some of that holistic stuff is just...... no.

haha.gif

• Like 1

I'm doing OK, it was just a close call, 'something' happened, but thankfully it wasn't a full blown heart attack.
Saw my Cardiologist Wed, EKG shows differences from last one one about a year & half ago, so something happened to my heart.
Also did an echocardiogram, get results Fri when I go back for a full Cardiac Stress Test.
Have to carry Nitro pills with me now just in case.
Seeing my Primary Doc in the AM.
Need to drop 50#, stop the daily sodas/energy drinks & cut my salt/fats.

• Like 4

Go see a holistic doctor after the regular doctors figure out what is wrong with you. They are actual doctors with a degree and years of practice who do not suck on the tit of pharmaceutical companies.

really, "holistic doctors" 021.gif OK Kramer,  if they do have a medical degree they printed it out on their computer.   why not also tell him to see a physic while you're at it

My doctor, that I rarely ever see, is a medical doctor registered in the state of Montana. She was a surgeon before she started her private practice. She advocated for the use of medical marijuana years and years ago which nearly destroyed her career. She can perscribe medications if needed, perform standard operations and will send you to one of her trusted friends if you do need to go in for surgery. She helped me change my diet and introduced me to things like colloidal silver for emergency first aid and infections. She also introduced me to several different herbs that help me calm down when I get pissed off at the world or can't sleep. Once my body chemisty went for highly acidic to a more balanced ph after being in an alkaline state, my headaches and stomach cramps went away.

Believe what you want but there are actual doctors out there that use medicine hundreds of years older than the shit you are fed.

While we're at it.

I don't belive Integrative medicine will help Mat Hop get the blunt object dislodged from his rectal cavity.

Edited by Stryker0946

I'm doing OK, it was just a close call, 'something' happened, but thankfully it wasn't a full blown heart attack.

Saw my Cardiologist Wed, EKG shows differences from last one one about a year & half ago, so something happened to my heart.

Also did an echocardiogram, get results Fri when I go back for a full Cardiac Stress Test.

Have to carry Nitro pills with me now just in case.

Seeing my Primary Doc in the AM.

Need to drop 50#, stop the daily sodas/energy drinks & cut my salt/fats.

I'm sure I will get more shit for this but there is a link between diet sodas and energy drinks that can short circuit your system. Stay hydrated with good quality water, not the fluorinated and chlorinated city shit. You're basically one big freaking computer and your network needs to run properly. Good luck to you. Hope you get better.

I hate drinking plain water and that manufactured stuff just doesn't taste right. Gatorade goes so far and I usually sweat off a couple good t-shirts every day,even in winter with extra clothes which makes it very uncomfortable. My job started buying an additive like powdered Gatorade called Sqwinchers. It comes in whatever formula it can be had in. Powdered, liquid concentrate, already mixed, etc. I use what is called a "quik stick". It is a powder in a packet that you add to 20 ounces of water. I use two packets and it actually tastes pretty good. I like the grape/orange or raspberry/orange packets and am drinking three to four quart Gatorade bottles of these a day instead of a six pack of cola. No calories, carbs, only natural sugars, just electrolyte replacement stuff. I order my own because work drags it's feet when we start running out. Cost come to about 30+cents a packet, but now I don't hate drinking water like I used to. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but we do want to stay healthy and this is an easy first step for some.

Artificial sweeteners and bad teeth are the cause of many if not most heart problems and type 2 diabetes. Lack of exercise also causes overall poor health. Walk at least a mile every morning. Your body is an extremely complex system of biochemical and electrical feed back networks. Your legs are the key to good health. Blood does not circulate properly if you do not walk, bones are pizeo electric - when they flex due to using your muscles they make a small electrical signal that causes increased blood flow and tells your body to strengthen the bones, add circulation and strengthen the heart.

Make your breakfast a banana and a yogurt (active culture) and walk that mile in the morning -  try not to sit for more than an hour at a time, get up and walk to the water cooler or fax machine, anything to get your legs moving.

I can guarantee that the above will add 10 years of healthier life to your time on this mortal coil!

My daughter warned me about energy drinks. All this time I thought all was well working outside in the hot sun. I do a 2+1 drinking them now. Two 16oz bottles of water to one energy drink.

I know the article in the link is referring to adolescents consuming them, but I believe it applies across the board.

http://www.aapcc.org/alerts/energy-drinks/

Monday/Tuesday

Thought I was gonna have, or was having a heart attack, went to ER.

EKG, Xrays, cardiac enzyme blood tests, cardiac monitoring, nitro, aspirin and three or four other drugs

24 hour observation & monitoring

Wednesday

Cardiologist, evaluation, EKG (noted changes from prior EKG), Echocardiogram

Thursday

Primary care MD

Friday

Cardiologist, nuclear imaging/stress test (big changes in my performance from last year)

Released by Cardiologist & Primary MD to return to full duties.

No sign of any blockages, bad valves or damage to heart.

Follow up visits in one week to both.

They are not sure what happened, but something happened.

Change my diet, lose weight, exercise & pray.

Definitely a crazy week.

Can't wait to see the detailed billing statements start rolling in, see what all this cost.

Still have great insurance coverage, most if not all should be 100% as I've met my yearly 'Out of Pocket Maximum'.

My out of pocket might be a grand.

I look back on my life and am thankful that I've always chosen to pay more for the best Major Medical plans.

When I shattered my leg back in '02, total costs soared way over 30K, my out of pocket was about 2K.

See how long before Obama or Hillary forces me out & fucks me over.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4

Two years ago I regained consciousness after a 3X emergency bypass and week long comma where I "died" no less than five times.

Now Im a hundred pounds lighter and screwing my brains out. 

Death is only bad for those left behind, no celestial lights, no damnation, just the barest sense of dark waiting. No memory of the weeks previous to the event to mention seems I was on bypass a long time and memory loss is common.

Made my peace with it, wont fear it again. But will try my best to make what I do f'in count in meantime.

• Like 2

Two years ago I regained consciousness after a 3X emergency bypass and week long comma where I "died" no less than five times.

Death is only bad for those left behind, no celestial lights, no damnation, just the barest sense of dark waiting. No memory of the weeks previous to the event to mention seems I was on bypass a long time and memory loss is common.

Made my peace with it, wont fear it again. But will try my best to make what I do f'in count in meantime.

You die once it is a permanent, terminal condition. Anyone claiming to have died, did not if they are telling it to another living being.

You became unresponsive with no cerebral blood flow leading to immediate unconsciousness. If the lack of BF and hypoxia is long enough you will suffer brain damage and or brain death. At that point who you are will cease to be even if your organs continue to function which will only per artificial means. You won't be telling anybody about that either.

When impending loss of conscienceness is imminent, almost all that can remember describe being in a tunnel of sorts with a light at the end. This is the fading of visual sense and the brains final interpretation of said image.

The human brain is exceeding complex and past thoughts, images, feelings smells etc. can be recalled and re-experienced in extreme instances where the brain senses something is dreadfully wrong.

Nevertheless, you have survived and remain alive to continue on your life path.

Edited by JAG

You die once it is a permanent, terminal condition. Anyone claiming to have died, did not if they are telling it to another living being.

You became unresponsive with no cerebral blood flow leading to immediate unconsciousness. If the lack of BF and hypoxia is long enough you will suffer brain damage and or brain death. At that point who you are will cease to be even if your organs continue to function which will only per artificial means. You won't be telling anybody about that either.

When impending loss of conscienceness is imminent, almost all that can remember describe being in a tunnel of sorts with a light at the end. This is the fading of visual sense and the brains final interpretation of said image.

The human brain is exceeding complex and past thoughts, images, feelings smells etc. can be recalled and re-experienced in extreme instances where the brain senses something is dreadfully wrong.

>>When impending loss of conscienceness is imminent, almost all that can remember describe being in a tunnel of sorts with a light at the end. This is the fading of visual sense and the brains final interpretation of said image.

I strongly disagree.

The body and brain are not required for consciousness. The body is like a "meat suit" that we wear while in this realm.

The brain is an interface between consciousness and the physical world.

We are spirits who inhabit bodies, not bodies with a spirit. The spirit is and always was first.

Many people have  documented their NDE experiences and described things that have occurred far away from their physical bodies while they were out of their bodies. There was a famous one where a woman described an old shoe on a ledge of the hospital she was in when she "died". The shoe was not visible from the ground, her room, or any windows. Hospital maintenance workers went up for a look and found the old shoe.

Here's a website with many hundreds of documented NDE experiences. Great reading and very uplifting.

http://www.nderf.org/

http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/NDE_Archives/archives_main.htm

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

Mmm that is one opinion, I only relay what the docs told me.

No beat no BP and so little brain activity they feared a massive stroke, at that moment one is dead as the proverbial door nail, just doesnt remain so sometimes. Not the old black and white that existed in earlier times. I see the changes in medical tech has altered somewhat the definition, of course they never did call it on me so no didnt stay that way.

My memories are very good post-op and there was nothing to write a book about, just oblivion is my guess even if it was temporary. 

What has always got me was that sense of waiting, I do recall that very well although I have no way to put it in any time frame context. 

Meh is what is it is.

"We are spirits who inhabit bodies, not bodies with a spirit. The spirit is and always was first."

No way to confirm that at all either scientifically or through religion. Even people that take the Word seriously will disagree.

​Shouldn't stop one from making peace with an inevitability. 

Edited by Rhodes1968

Back in the 80's, in my teens, I briefly experimented with "huffing" butane for a "buzz". On three of the five occasions I passed out. Just before passing out, I heard a beautiful melody, same rhythm and tones every time. I always assumed it was the brain being starved of oxygen (no doubt).

I can still remember what it sounded like, 25+ years later.

After hearing stories of NDE's, most people describe what sounds like angelic music.

My story doesn't prove anything. It's just something interesting that I ponder.

Was I at death's door?

Edited by Sim_Player

I have had too many near death, and a more than a few SHOULD have been dead experiences. The only times I saw the bright white light was the 2 times that I had my skull smashed. Mainly it was just a fade to black.

Having trained martial arts for over a decade now I've been choked out/ knocked out plenty times, and reciprocated just as many.

Mostly going out is like when you'd shut off an old tv. You get the black around the edges and the picture gets smaller and smaller. The time your out doesn't exist... at least not to you. Usually you wake up feeling like you just got up.. but wondering why your not in your bed. Except when your knocked out it's accompanied by an awful head ache and a few hours later nausea.

Back in the 80's, in my teens, I briefly experimented with "huffing" butane for a "buzz". On three of the five occasions I passed out. Just before passing out, I heard a beautiful melody, same rhythm and tones every time. I always assumed it was the brain being starved of oxygen (no doubt).

I can still remember what it sounded like, 25+ years later.

After hearing stories of NDE's, most people describe what sounds like angelic music.

My story doesn't prove anything. It's just something interesting that I ponder.

Was I at death's door?

Do not dismiss this outright. I know this sounds silly, but I have two sisters that are really bitches, really mean and have no regard for others. My mother was even afraid of being rejected by them in her later years.The same day of my mothers funeral, those two sisters were visited by a raven that landed directly on the rubber weather strip on the drivers side of the car these two sisters were in. The raven began to squawk for about 15-20 seconds non-stop moving it's head looking back and forth at both of them individually and then flew away. This story was told to me by my older brother that witnessed it. Anything to this? Who knows.

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 1