I've heard many people yip yapping about Ben Carson-2016.  He would simply be another "token" in an attempt to get the black president thing right this time.  Dude is a doctor.  Not a president.  I've heard a few here saying they might support him.  Please research his qualifications.  Or lack thereof.  

Dr. Ben Carson, surgeon and conservative icon, waves to supporters as he passes them Monday, Aug. 25, 2014, as he arrives for a book signing at a Barnes and Noble bookstore in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. (Photo by Scott Morgan for The Washington Post)

Dr. Ben Carson says the "likelihood is strong" that he will run for president in 2016, and the attendees of the Values Voters summit this week seem to think he would make a great vice president. On the fundraising front, the National Draft Ben Carson Committee is raising millions on the mere prospect of Carson running. Clearly, there is plenty of interest in the former Johns Hopkins pediatric neurosurgeon.

But Carson has something of a Barack Obama problem, which has nothing to do with the fact that he would be vying to become the nation's second black president.

That problem became clear as Carson ran into a buzzsaw in the form of Chris Wallace during an interview on "Fox News Sunday." Wallace asked Carson why his party or the country would bet on sending a neurosurgeon with no political experience to the White House to deal with domestic and foreign affairs -- especially after President Obama's rocky tenure.

"Wouldn't putting Ben Carson in the Oval Office be akin to putting a politician in the operating room and performing one of your brain surgeries?" Wallace said.

Carson's response (emphasis ours):

I don't think so. What is required for leadership is wisdom and the ability to assemble a appropriate team, an ability to listen and an ability to make wise decisions. And we also have to recognize what I said a little bit earlier: Our system was designed by our founders, with the people in mind and with the will of the people in mind, not with the will of government. If you want the will of the government, yes, you need people who spend their whole lives in politics, and they are people who are much more likely to be able to impose the will of the government. But I don't think that's what we need and Jefferson said that when things got so bad, the people would actually make a correction. I think it's time to make that correction."

This is about as solid an answer as Carson could give, but it also raises a very pertinent issue for Carson and many top-flight 2016 GOP hopefuls whose records, like Obama's, are a little one-dimensional. Like Carson, Sen. Ted Cruz (Tex.), Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.) would likely run as 'ideas' candidates -- campaigns based on their vision for the future not their resume in the past. But, none of them has served more than four years in federal office -- the precise amount of national experience Obama had when he was inaugurated as president.

For Carson, that issue is particularly acute. Carson is right to talk about the 2016 campaign as a "course correction," as most presidential campaigns that don't include an incumbent president are about just that -- particularly when you are running for the nomination of the party that doesn't currently control the White House. But, after taking a chance on someone with little national experience in Obama, will Americans -- and especially Republicans -- be willing to extend someone like Carson the benefit of the doubt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ50Jqw9UVY

Or look at this another way...

Jefferson was a farmer/scientist/statesman/surveyor/whatever-interested-him.

The propensity for rational thought, the courage to act on that thought, the wisdom to restrain that action in deference to the rights of others are the only qualifications required.

Not the resume of a professional politician.

• Like 3

You're dead wrong on this one BJ.

Our country has been taken to the edge of destruction by politicians.  What we need is somebody who is an un-politician, just like our founding fathers.

Yeah he's a doctor.  He's the freaking head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins.  And he didn't get there on affirmative action. 

I've listened to him speak many times and he's got exactly the values and intellect we need if we have any chance of turning it around.

And don't call him a token.  That's a talking point from the left.  It's insulting to every one of us that actually look past skin color and judge people on their character.  I don't give a shit that he's black other than it would be funny if the first fully black man in the white house is a conservative.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 7

We're going to need a military mind after the shit storm Obozo left us. I'm voting for the man with the most kills.

So if the democrap is a vet and the repub is not you'll vote dem?

I hope your mind isn't quite that narrow.

What I see is the same old Three Stooges slap fight on the right.  We pull each other's noses and poke each other in the eyes and the democraps win the elections.

Edited by Darth Saigus

We're going to need a military mind after the shit storm Obozo left us. I'm voting for the man with the most kills.

This is dead on! After limpdick, line in the sand, Barry Benghazi obola has totally screwed this country we will need a strong military mind.

My vote goes to a man who has led men in combat and a patriot,

Col. Allen West.

I'll cast my vote for the candidate that is a fundamental constitutionalist. That automatically disqualifies every Democrat by default. It also disqualifies most Republicans. I don't know what to think of Dr. Ben Carson yet, other than he seems to be a man of character and integrity that has worked his way to success. To compare his lack of experience to our current community organizer in chief is laughable.

This is nothing more than a media hit piece designed to take some of the shine off of Dr. Carson because he will have a ® after his name instead of a (D). That is what they do very well. The irony here is that if he does by some miracle win the nomination, he will carry no more % of the black constituency than any other Repub. He will be called Uncle Tom, traitor to his race, or wannabe Cracker, just like Clarence Thomas and Condoleeza Rice. Gotta love the double standards and blind devotion of the people of this nation.

• Like 1

This is dead on! After limpdick, line in the sand, Barry Benghazi obola has totally screwed this country we will need a strong military mind.

My vote goes to a man who has led men in combat and a patriot,

Col. Allen West.

You mean that same one voted yes on the NDAA and Pat Act II?

Seriously?

Military service in and of itself is no indication one is trustworthy in another context no more than a political resume.

There are no saviors.

I'll cast my vote for the candidate that is a fundamental constitutionalist. That automatically disqualifies every Democrat by default. It also disqualifies most Republicans. I don't know what to think of Dr. Ben Carson yet, other than he seems to be a man of character and integrity that has worked his way to success. To compare his lack of experience to our current community organizer in chief is laughable.

This is nothing more than a media hit piece designed to take some of the shine off of Dr. Carson because he will have a ® after his name instead of a (D). That is what they do very well. The irony here is that if he does by some miracle win the nomination, he will carry no more % of the black constituency than any other Repub. He will be called Uncle Tom, traitor to his race, or wannabe Cracker, just like Clarence Thomas and Condoleeza Rice. Gotta love the double standards and blind devotion of the people of this nation.

The problem with constitutionalism is most dont really understand the document was drafted as a counter to the revolutionary spirit.

Governing free people is like herding cats, and damn well should be.

• Like 1

The person to fix this mess needs to not be liked by both sides, D and R. I also believe that the person needed to fix this will be a one term president if they ever get elected....After 4 years of changing things the way they need to be changed no one in the establishment will like them. Seems Mr. Carson is fitting that mold a little more everyday. I am tired of seeing career politicians elected. I trust what my doc tells a hell of a lot more than my Senator....just sayin....

I won't trust any of them.

10,000^10

if any of you believe that ANY politician, regardless of  political affiliation,  is going to be "working" for you and doing the things right for America, then you're on the sunshine lollipops  and  rainbow bus and not in reality

they are only after one thing; to enrich themselves and their cronies and fucking over everybody else.   

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

We DO NOT need another damn politician as president, we need some one that can make decisions and would surround himself with people that are competent and that get things done. A good leader does not do it all by himself, he has good people around him, but he also has to have the balls to make the tough decisions that no one likes to make, and then stand by them. We also need someone that has some decent business sense, not a fricking printing press.

I guess these things cancels out almost every one of the dickhead ass kissers in Washington.

• Like 1

We've always had presidents that were career politicians. How's that working out? I like what Carson says but unfortunately he doesn't sound charismatic enough to get elected. Most people today want the sizzle and not the steak. That's how we got Obummer. There are too few people going to run for the office to rule out anybody because they haven't been in politics, because they are black, or any other reason like that. The one that thinks the most like I do gets my vote.

• Like 1

You're dead wrong on this one BJ.

Our country has been taken to the edge of destruction by politicians.  What we need is somebody who is an un-politician, just like our founding fathers.

Yeah he's a doctor.  He's the freaking head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins.  And he didn't get there on affirmative action. 

I've listened to him speak many times and he's got exactly the values and intellect we need if we have any chance of turning it around.

And don't call him a token.  That's a talking point from the left.  It's insulting to every one of us that actually look past skin color and judge people on their character.  I don't give a shit that he's black other than it would be funny if the first fully black man in the white house is a conservative.

I knew when I posted this that your points would be put forth.  I don't disagree at all.  I don't want a career politician either.  What I also don't want is another potus voted in simply because he's black.  I'm being a total hypocrite in saying this though because I really don't want him in office for the same reason. 

The head ape has put such a foul taste in my mouth that I'm not sure I could cast a vote for another black man to lead this country.  He has brought such divide when he promised the opposite and I simply don't trust them leading the country.

Before you call me a racist...  I'mma admit something horrifying to you guys.  I voted for him in 2012.  I didn't know any better.  So...  If you ever want to know how the low information mind works, I'm here.  What I learned from this is to NEVER cast a vote without knowing WTF you're voting for.  You only negate a vote by a person whom has done their homework.  My first vote in my lifetime of over 40 years of life and I totally fucked it up.

I give a shit ton of credit for my learning that I'm actually a conservative at heart to this forum.  You guys have taught me so much.

• Like 1

Ronald Reagan was an actor. Ex-Candidate Ron Paul is a doctor. I sure your "research" will lead to the fact that MOST exPresidents and candidates had some sort of j-o-b. Notice I said most. That's because there are some that were career politicians, like the one we have now.

Is the bar so low that at this point we will get behind someone simply because they seem sane?

Yes absolutely

Does that mean they can "save" this situation?

Absolutely not

For that would require a massive shift towards sanity by the electorate across the country, indeed the world.

I do hear rumors that the rainbows expelled from unicorn butts could accomplish this transformation but as yet the elusive suckers aint co-operating.

Not a thing wrong with doing what little we can on the other hand. No need to make things worse is there.

Perspective is priceless right about now.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Dr. Carson grew up poor but, he got where he is by working hard.

The classic "American Dream" story.

I don't care about his skin color. He is intelligent, has morals, and is a patriot.

His vision of the country is positively optimistic. A breath of fresh air, after 6 years of deviciveness.

I also understand that he's not likely to get nominated by the current Rep. Party.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

Hello

For what it's worth, Dr. Carson is probably the one individual on the political horizon who stands a chance of uniting and healing this once-great Country. and God knows we need that.

Americans working and fighting as Americans, side-by-side. That's what made us strong.

JMHO....

-Guido in Houston

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Dr. Carson grew up poor but, he got where he is by working hard.

The classic "American Dream" story.

I don't care about his skin color. He is intelligent, has morals, and is a patriot.

His vision of the country is positively optimistic. A breath of fresh air, after 6 years of deviciveness.

I also understand that he's not likely to get nominated by the current Rep. Party.

I think he is a stand up guy as well. i would vote for him if he were the nominee. 

The party in general does not have much of a say in the nomination, my state wont even get to vote before its a done deal.

ALL primary elections nation wide should be held on ONE day.

then the PEOPLE may have more input than the media or new hampster

• Like 3