• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are a few targets I plan on printing off and taking with me to the Lapeer shoot. Sorry they're so small, don't know how to make them bigger.           Anything in the ear is 5 pts.

from jews for the preservation of firearms ownership

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/reactivetargetkingpin.htm http://www.varmintal.com/atarg.htm http://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff/52_free_targets.html   Had more, will post if i can find them....wh

Posted Images

And for lefties...there are bullseye freebies on this site, which is where the two I COPIED and posted (so sue me) came from. check em out.

I had posted this link wrong, the old link was to a target program with some targets....THIS is the link that I wanted to paste originally, which is where these two pistol targets came from. some good bullseye targets, couple others.

http://www.ammoman.com/targets/targets1.htm

post-9-1084764453.jpg

Edited by Bvamp
  • 6 months later...

another good one. right on saiga shooter.

I would like to add in three of my most used targets myself, although I have mentioned them elsewhere, and they are not free either:

hammer a beer bottle top onto a tree or stump with a rock or your UNLOADED gun's buttstock. 100 yards rifle scoped, 50 unscoped, 25 wheelgun, 8 autoloading pistol. really difficult shot.

spraypaint charcoal briquettes (grill coals) with surveyor's paint. 50 yards, iron sights, standing. biodegradeable too. close to a biatholon target size as well. 2.50 a bag of a few hundred. 6 bucks a can for paint which lasts a while if you dont go nuts with it. dont even need it with right backstop color. go 5 for 5 iron sights at 50 yards and you are doing good. move them out if you are on a bench rest.

FULL 12oz. beer can (for weight and just, well, fun). throw overhead with a full shotgun with skeet loads. you miss it if you miss with ANY shots. you should be able to make the thing fly high, and hit it with every round you touch off, and should be able to put 8 rounds into a single can. empty cans just dont get enough loft for the first shot, and will make the ground too soon. when you are done it should still be at LEAST 10-15 feet off the ground. its harder than you think it is. in a clear area like a yard or clear field or other kept shooting area, walking is permitted to get better shot direction on target. wear shooting glasses if you do this one. the skeet pellets wont hurt you, only your eyes if you arent protected, even if you shoot straight up. Ive done it many many times, no problems. WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

for a more interesting spin, bet ammo or money if it is legal in your state with your buddies for score per set, or per round of 5 sets. it is WAY more fun than it seems like. people get damn serious after the first two rounds the first time at it.

these targets may be a little more practical to do if you have your own range and are a more casual shooter like myself. GREAT fun with a few buddies. granted, its not running a paladin course or anything, but is a lot more condusive to a regular guy like myself out with his friends for an afternoon. even the stupid paper dividers in your 20 round 7.62x39mm ammo boxes make GREAT targets.

Edited by Bvamp
  • Like 1

The best thing I've shot yet was a crystal Frog candle holder!!!!!!!! 50 yds open sited - the mf'r shattered into a brilliant spray of tiny peices. in the sun light it was like looking into a misty water source!

I know that a propane bottle needs a flare or something lit next to it! :unsure:

my old standby is the beer bottle at 100yds. if you can hit it standing or moving, you'd be invited to my haulocost army!!!! don't worry folks I shootem' proped in a cardboard box, and tote out the remains. we wouldn't want the sasquatch to cut a toe!!!

for the ruger 10/22's a carton of eggs makes 12 KILLER targets. something about that round makes the egg explode and a precision target as well.!!

Edited by saigalova
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Empty soda bottles filled with colored water are amonst my favourite cheap targets. Also for long (300-400yd) open sight shooting I paint the bottles with surveyor's paint. This makes them glow on the prairie.

assinner1979- I really like your target man. Am sending one to my anti-gun brother-in-law. ( He's Jewish.)-frkbrd

from jews for the preservation of firearms ownership

post-1995-1120148340.gif

Jews for Preservation of Firearms Ownership also has a UN target. The UN is an abominable organization which wants to take away our rights including our Second Amendment. People shooting at the range like the idea of shooting at the UN logo.

I used to fill windshield washer bottles with water and shoot them with a .223 round and watch them explode from hydrostatic shock. I want to use one gallon milk bottles but now many ranges are strict about what you can shoot at.

I sometimes tape clay pigeons to my paper target and watch it disintegrate when hit. AOL CDs and wrappings also make good targets. It's fun shooting their disks especially since they are anti gun.

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

Edited by uzitiger
^This post is meaningless without video! ^ 

Ok... Range REPORT on tracers and propane bottles...

I think you might as well stick with the standard rounds and a road flare... cause The bullet zipped right thru the bottle, it flew about 10 feet across the yard from the gas escaping from it... and NONE... ZILCH... ZERO....NADA fireball, flame, FIRE, poof, boom, bang, ZOWIE, or WHOOMP.....

all in all... ABSOLUTELY UNREMARKABLE.....

we DID shoot a 5 gallon pail of water... also UNREMARKABLE... flipped it upside down, the pail landed on the lid... and water PEED out the TWO LITTLE 1/2 inch holes on either side of the bucket...

Mind you there was enough whoomp to flip a 40 pound bucket a foot and a half in the air and flip it 180 upside down... but other than that... with the FMJ rounds... nothing...

I am in the process of working on reloading some with some BARNES X rounds... when I get some of those... I think the bucket should just about VAPORIZE... over 12000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy at 100M will still be quite the punch... we will see...

:smoke:

• 1 year later...
I know that a propane bottle needs a flare or something lit next to it! :unsure:

I got tired of the flares being blown out by the pressure when the tank was punctured. Found out today that spreading sterno on the ground and lighting it works best. No snuffs from pressurised gas or the rain.

Edited by busy_squirrel
  • 1 month later...

Great links, some good stuff out there.

For cheap targets, we use cheap soda, in both 2 litre and in cans. If you have a dollar store or a Wally World close by, you can buy the 2 litres as cheap as 50 cents a piece, and a 12 pack for around $2. For $10 - $20 dollars you get a good afternoon of blowing up stuff. Make sure you shake them up well before placing them, but be carefull, the cheap cans are prone to pop on their own if you toss them around. We generally take a garbage bag along to clean up the remains. Stay away from the Mountain Dew knock offs, they don't fizz as well, but the root beers and fruit flavored ones go off real big.

• 3 months later...

Grab a bag of balloons, puff those suckers up, tie a 6" or so string to each, other end of the string tied to popsicle stick type thing to stick in the ground. Lay them out in a random pattern on a nice windy day... instant moving targets! As you get better, use a longer piece of string... just don't take your line of fire past your backstops.... a BIG honkin' hill is perfect.

I used to print out reduced size Silos on regular printer paper and some on legal paper. I would then get a girlfriend to tack them up in the wood near our old home. She would lay out multiple targets, father and sons (Hostage) and "no shoots" I would then put my CZ-22 Upper on my M4 and clear the course. I would do this one or twice a outing and a 3-4 times a month. When I was doing it regular nobody on our Tactical Team beat me in the fun house! And with the .22 it was cheap!

A good practice target for 50 yards. Scoring above 90 standing at 50 yards is pretty good around here (that's a bit larger than a 50 cent piece for all 10). It took me 2 years to be able to do that, but now I can do it every other time out (that's one or two on a great day of my 5 groups, each of 10 shots of CCI blazer 22 from my toz - a typical day home from the office). My first group is always ugly, but they get better as I go along.

The saiga 308 keeps them all in the black which is pretty good bad guy medicine in my book.

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
^This post is meaningless without video! ^

Ok... Range REPORT on tracers and propane bottles...

I think you might as well stick with the standard rounds and a road flare... cause The bullet zipped right thru the bottle, it flew about 10 feet across the yard from the gas escaping from it... and NONE... ZILCH... ZERO....NADA fireball, flame, FIRE, poof, boom, bang, ZOWIE, or WHOOMP.....

all in all... ABSOLUTELY UNREMARKABLE.....

we DID shoot a 5 gallon pail of water... also UNREMARKABLE... flipped it upside down, the pail landed on the lid... and water PEED out the TWO LITTLE 1/2 inch holes on either side of the bucket...

Mind you there was enough whoomp to flip a 40 pound bucket a foot and a half in the air and flip it 180 upside down... but other than that... with the FMJ rounds... nothing...

I am in the process of working on reloading some with some BARNES X rounds... when I get some of those... I think the bucket should just about VAPORIZE... over 12000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy at 100M will still be quite the punch... we will see...

:smoke:

I blew a propane tank with a full auto Galil, and it was quite exciting. It definately lit. They make a big flash, but don't really explode, the metal doesn't tear apart. Then it flips around a little and eventually stops and just shoots flame out the holes.

Want a 16oz propane bottle to make a fireball? Shoot it with a 50 BMG spotter/tracer into a hard backstop. Better be a few hundred yards off. If you happen to hit a bit high and blow the valve off it becomes a rocket with a random trajectory. Another fun one with the 50 is a 5gal bucket full of water, inverted. It goes off like a bomb from hydrostatic shock. Use a good hunting type bullet or a spotter, and ALWAYS be aware of your backstop.

Smaller stuff: Golf balls with any caliber. Ping pong balls are fun too. Eggs @ 175yds are tough targets and cheap. Don't forget pumpkins, but fill them with water first or they just don't do that much.

One of my favorites is a snowman with a bottle of tannerboom embedded in his chest. THAT is hilarious!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

team on team target I have seen - both teams hammer a 2x4 into the ground about 5-10 yards away, load up pistols, one mag extra each only, and at a signal race against each other to cut their 2x4 down before the other team can do the same. the one reload encourages rapid fire as well as accuracy. You can reload mags, but you lose a lot of time, even if you allow the ammo to be spread out on the bench. revolver guys should get three speed loaders.

Edited by Bvamp
  • 2 weeks later...