Brady Campaign Legislative Priority Poll??(banning Saigas by name!

I'm sure they will weed out the responses they don't like.

Exactly what I was thinking. A "poll" from HCI only carries weight for those who want to ban guns anyway.

After looking around that site, I felt like my head was going to explode from all the twisted logic that they use to justify their position. Their "fact sheet" pages are outright laughable and make some pretty ridiculous claims and use extremely manipulated and twisted statistics. My favorite is probably their page on how Australia's gun control was really a success, they cite how much gun crime went down (well duh, banning guns will do that you know...) but fail to mention that overall violent crime went WAY UP in Australia after the ban.

After looking around that site, I felt like my head was going to explode from all the twisted logic that they use to justify their position. Their "fact sheet" pages are outright laughable and make some pretty ridiculous claims and use extremely manipulated and twisted statistics. My favorite is probably their page on how Australia's gun control was really a success, they cite how much gun crime went down (well duh, banning guns will do that you know...) but fail to mention that overall violent crime went WAY UP in Australia after the ban.

In the UK we lost just about all guns after a couple of really nasty incidents. A guy with an AK wandered around Hungerford shooting at random before killing himself so we lost self loading rifles (and strangely short shotguns). I wonder if he'd driven around in a truck mowing people down if we'd have had all lorries banned! Then a madman killed a class load of children at Dunblane with a pistol (and may he rot in hell for all eternity for that) so all pistols except muzzle loaders were banned.Sadly that was with a licenced firearm though the Police Authority chose to blame the gun rather than their own complete incompetance in allowing such a disturbed person a licence in the first place.

BUT, like everything else, the only ones who were affected were the legal shooters. Criminals didn't bother with the law then and surprisingly they still don't. Our killings with firearms has gone up and up ( clearly always with illegal guns as there aren't any legal ones left!!) and the legislation has done absolutely nothing to stop that. Now there is talk of banning replicas even "as they can be converted to shoot live ammunition" Most replicas are airsoft and plastic so I'd like to see someone convert one of those (while standing WELL AWAY!). As an ex Police Officer in London I must also say that I'd rather be faced by a criminal with a toy gun than one with the real thing so, if they're happy with toys and end up getting shot themselves because of it, that's tough.

And don't forget Australia's ban on swords because of the wave of sword crimes after the gun ban.

(Quote)..BUT, like everything else, the only ones who were affected were the legal shooters. Criminals didn't bother with the law then and surprisingly they still don't. Our killings with firearms has gone up and up ( clearly always with illegal guns as there aren't any legal ones left!!) and the legislation has done absolutely nothing to stop that

BINGO!!

Edited by Pointer

Hi Everyone,

Could someone give the forum members an update on the status of the legislation?

Also, how is the proposed ban affecting the stocks of Saiga 12 shotguns?

Thanks in advance for your comments for someone and those how have not been up to speed on the issue.

How serious should this political grandstanding be taken?

I went ahead and ordered a saiga 12 because

1. They are hard to find in stock. I bought it off gunbroker.com for 418 shipped. Haven't gotten it yet and hopefully he really does have one to ship. I will be pissed if that is not the case.

2. Worried that since they are named by name they will be even more in demand because of the free advertising and added evil black gun mystique.

3. Worried that the price will be higher when supplies do come in. Nobody that was out of stock would commit to the current price.

REAL REASON IS THEY ARE JUST TOO DAMN COOL AND IT WAS A GOTTA HAVE LITTLE BOY LIKES TOYS IMPULSE :)

In their first question they assert that crime has shot up since the return of assault weapons.

Is that even true?

http://press.arrivenet.com/politics/article.php/649844.html

Like most of what the Brady website passes off as accurate information, of course it's NOT true. States with ZERO gun restrictions of any kind (yes there are a couple), Vermont, for one, has pretty much zero gun crime. States with liberal concealed carry laws have exceedingly low gun crime statistics. The Brady site has always sickened me. Nothing new here.

In New Zealand we have one of the highest guns per person ratio ( shit loads of AK SLR AR )we also have one of the lowest gun crime rates as well , if you deleete suicide from the stats ( thats one they always add to beef up numbers)

you get bugger all gun crimes and even then its all done with shiity double barrrels not $1000 + semi autos

STAND YOUR GROUND

Hello

It needs to be noted that Rudy Gulliani (sp) is a pretty staunch anti-gunner. He's certainly a front-runner in the Republican primaries.

-I reckon being victimized is just one of those New York perversities that is enjoyed there, they sure seem to like it...

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

Hi Everyone,

Could someone give the forum members an update on the status of the legislation?

Thanks in advance for your comments for someone and those how have not been up to speed on the issue.

It currently is in committee and has no co-sponsors. (This latter item is good.) It has not as yet had its first committee hearing.

You can follow its progress - or, hopefully, lack thereof - here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

A lot of folks feel that this bill is so broad sweeping and covers far too many mainstream guns for it to achieve passage as it is written. However, we best not be too cocky about this fact; or our cockiness may just come back to bite us in the a$$.

has anyone heard the official news from NRA on an Anti-Brady campaign?

Hi Everyone,

It currently is in committee and has no co-sponsors. (This latter item is good.) It has not as yet had its first committee hearing.

You can follow its progress - or, hopefully, lack thereof - here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

A lot of folks feel that this bill is so broad sweeping and covers far too many mainstream guns for it to achieve passage as it is written. However, we best not be too cocky about this fact; or our cockiness may just come back to bite us in the a$$.