Check out my totally custom .308!

How much more MOA does that paint job and fluting give you? Just curious. Does it allow you to see your targets better in the dark? Does it aid in anything beyond what a stock Saiga .308 can do other than "look cool"....?

Yawn... :angel:

My point is - I Like the paint job, but does it help (aid) in your ability to shoot any better (same with the fluting - a cooling issue, IMHO - nice but not necessariy on a "fighting gun")...? If it does - then I am all in....

Otherwise - Have you done anything else to improve accuracy (ammo, trigger, etc.) or make it widely utilitarian?

Beyond that, I would say you have a absolutely wonderful "range piece" - you should be proud!...

In other words - how is it better (given the same money) than an accuracy/trigger/reliability job on a stock rifle...?

Just curious and just my thoughts...

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau
How much more MOA does that paint job and fluting give you? Just curious. Does it allow you to see your targets better in the dark? Does it aid in anything beyond what a stock Saiga .308 can do other than "look cool"....?

My point is - I Like the paint job, but does it help (aid) in your ability to shoot any better (same with the fluting - a cooling issue, IMHO - nice but not necessariy on a "fighting gun")...? If it does - then I am all in....

Otherwise - Have you done anything else to improve accuracy (ammo, trigger, etc.) or make it widely utilitarian?

Beyond that, I would say you have a absolutely wonderful "range piece" - you should be proud!...

In other words - how is it better (given the same money) than an accuracy/trigger/reliability job on a stock rifle...?

Macbeau sends...

Not everyone really cares about trying to enhance the accuracy of a gun who will never be accurate to begin with. Owning a weapon is all about enjoyment -- if he enjoyed building & tweaking the rifle, then who cares?

I just think macbeau's a bit jealous... :rolleyes::lolol::haha:

In all honesty, I guess I am a bit jealous... My conversion has been on a shoestring and taken me almost 3 years. I haven't done much to aid the accuracy or reliability of my rifle either - just the utility... Sorry if I offended anyone... :angel:

Cream, Cream, Cream.....how does she shoot?

Well, about like before with a bit less recoil ... I didn't do much range work with it before, but it was around a 2-3moa gun with SA surplus, 1moa with match stuff. And it seems from one extended range trip to be about the same now. It's just a lot sexier doing it :super:

your cammo job looks good , i would like to know what load data or factory match load that was used to get 1 moa?

Thanks TS2

The only 'match' ammo I have is some Lake City match, with LC77 headstamp. It's pretty old but shoots good. I should probably say around 1moa :unsure: I only did a couple groups with the Match stuff to see what it can do, and I didn't measure with a ruler, just estimated. But it was a pretty tight group.

The Israeli surplus shoots pretty tight too, as does the Radway Green.

Macbeau sends...

Well I haven't done much 'fighting' with the gun yet. If it makes you feel better the fluting will let me throw it farther and harder at an enemy when my ammo runs out, and the paint will make it easier to wipe all the blood off the gun.

I have polished up the trigger, and the muzzle comp works very well. With over a pound off the barrel end of the gun it's a LOT easier to shoot while standing too.

And it looks really damn cool ...

Really nice looking rifle. Really nice. The only thing I'd want different on it would be to change the location of the bipod to the front sling swivel.

I used that bipod because I have it ... I know it's a bit cheap, but it actually works very well. the sling swivel isn't very strong, so I'm putting a rail on the bottom of the handguard and mounting the bipod on it. That's a better place to mount it, and getting rid of the barrel clamp removes a few more ounces.

I also have one of those cool new Vltor wide-stance side mount bipods that I might use, but I'm planning on using it with my 6.8 SPC AR-15 build.

Several people have asked me exactly how the barrel on this gun was fluted and threaded for the comp. Fluting was done on a Brockport mill so the barrel did not have to be removed from the receiver. It was threaded in a lathe using a special jig, likewise so the barrel didn't have to be pulled. FYI.

• 3 weeks later...

I love it! I want it! I need it! LOL I have a saiga .308 and want the barrel threaded, the front sight needs to be repositioned to do this of course. Is that something done at OTTOCOMP as well?, I mean is it done when I get it back?

EDIT: the phone number is disconnected for OttoComp. any help?

Indy

Edited by Indy4570

A few more shots, got the handguard rail installed ... the cheap-o bipod works great actually, slides on/off the rail with a push button. And the vert grip really helps stabilize for standing scope shots. I'm a happy camper! It handles and shoots just like I hoped it would.

Also since the first pics I added some shapes of CADPAT light green, I like what that color added. I also dusted the whole thing with a touch of Blackhawk Coyote Brown to blend the colors a bit.

gallery_8867_193_86968.jpg

gallery_8867_193_38804.jpg

gallery_8867_193_19808.jpg

gallery_8867_193_17977.jpg

• 2 months later...
A few more shots, got the handguard rail installed ... the cheap-o bipod works great actually, slides on/off the rail with a push button. And the vert grip really helps stabilize for standing scope shots. I'm a happy camper! It handles and shoots just like I hoped it would.

Also since the first pics I added some shapes of CADPAT light green, I like what that color added. I also dusted the whole thing with a touch of Blackhawk Coyote Brown to blend the colors a bit.

gallery_8867_193_86968.jpg

gallery_8867_193_38804.jpg

gallery_8867_193_19808.jpg

gallery_8867_193_17977.jpg

Man that is one sweet looking .308.....

Awesome job on ALL the work you've done on the rifle! Lots of love and care went into the transformation of this work of art.

I wish I could afford to get an S-.308 but with the cost of gas shooting upwards of 4.15 here in the Hudson Valley, my second in command has curtailed my defense budget to accomodate the new landscaping she wants installed around the house :beaten:

Keep up the good work! Are you planning on a matching S-12 to match?

nyclu3