Juggs: I've got a Vietnam issue Gerber Mk. 2. T'was the one dear old Dad carried. Love it to pieces. I'm hard on blades that aren't purely decorative though. The Mk. 2 is perfectly balanced for throwing. So, guess what happens when you biff a throw and the cross-guard hits your target (wooden)? Yep. One side of the guard broke. It's... I just never expected that to happen. I still plan on sending it off to Gerber to be repaired. Sure, I may have knocked a bit off the value of it *cough*, but I must say that it's still one hell of a knife.

On a similar note, it's not well known, but German 98k bayonets are also balanced damn near perfect for throwing as well. The balance point is right ahead of the grip. There's also an orignal KABAR around here - which I carried on my belt while vacationing in SD - and an 8 inch Randal fighting knife. I just leave that one alone. It's worth *far* too much money. Definitely a "BBQ Knife," but only if you're an afficianado.

For everyday carry, I used to use a Buck model 110 folder. It's probably 30 years old, bought originally at a PX over in Southeast Asia. I spent a lot of time working to be able to open it one-handed. It was also short enough to conceal for a reasonable period of time with the blade open. - My thought on folding knives is much the same as with handguns: if you think you'll be needing it soon, it should be ready to use; hammer back, saftey off, and in the case of a knife, unfolded. It means having to carry differently and plan ahead a bit more, but I think it's better to be prepared. - It was another that I learned the balance of and could throw if necessary, even on the draw. I've thought about a Gerber Freeman fixed blade for carrying, but haven't decided to spend the money. I'd love to carry my Winchester Bowie if it were legal. It's sharp enough (and I'm butch enough) that I've used it to shave my legs a few times. lol Hell. I may end up just making a custom fixed blade for myself. That could be extremely entertaining.

Oh, and if anyone wants to talk about the deployment and use of knives for defensive purposes, I ask that I new thread be started on the subject. We don't want to clog this one up, or pull it off track.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about buying this folding eagle claw bayonet knife from this website. I would like to know if anyone has heard of this company before or seen this knife before. The knife looks like it is made very well but I would like to find someone who may already have it to tell me more about it. I would also like to know how to find out if this LDU Company is trustworthy. Their website is www.LDUcompany.com , If anyone has bought them before please let me know.

my EDC is a Spyderco Delica 4.

it's a very simple knife, but a great all-arounder. i just don't really need all the extra stuff they throw around.

I have a tendency to lose and then find knives, so I try not to spend too much money on them, but at the same time, get ones that are good quality. My current EDC knife is this: Browning ICE SX

that's actually a mcusta, right? a Mcusta Katana.

they produce that knife for Browning AND sell it cheaper. pretty neat. most firearms manufacturers buy cheapo knives, rebrand them and sell them expensively. thisone however is great.

edit: here's another picture of one:

2451739397_f3cb267d61_o.jpg

Edited by SuA
  • 2 months later...

I've never been into the knife game, but I figured I should have one :D . I did a little research and ended up with a Kershaw. It was only $30 out the door, at Dicks, because all they had left was the display knife, with no box. It's a nice little "assisted opener".

Now, to stop this habit of flicking it open continuously when I'm sitting around :bad_smile: .

20060823102102_Photo2.jpg

Off-duty, I carry a Chris Reeve "Classic" Sebenza.

On-duty, Benchmade AFCK (D2, axis lock, Spyderhole varient) and a SOG EOD 2.0. I just switched to the SOG a few months ago (from my old and much-loved Leatherman Supertool EOD varient) as a very belated reaction to Tim Leatherman's anti-gun politics. I like Tim's stuff, but I don't like Tim. It took me a while to find a good locking-blade folding tool to replace my...good locking-blade folding tool. Sigh.

When I'm wearing web gear, I used to carry a Reeve Project II in a SpecOps sheath, but also have a black Randall 14 (same sheath, yeah, I'm lazy). At the last SHOT show I picked up a Russian Phoenix II that seems workable; my next trip to the Sandbox will probably include that one.

I'm going pig-hunting over dogs (with a knife) later this week; I'm dragging out the San Mai Trailmaster for that little trip. Swords might be overkill, but a big bowie seems about right :ph34r:

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a few nice blades posted in other threads over the past week or so, and even a new member join who makes custom knives. Perhaps they will find this thread, now that I'm pinning it like Gary requested originally. Good idea Gary!

I got a new knife recently that I've been wanting for a long time. I thought this would be a good time to bump this thread with it.

Here's my new EDC knife.

What else could it be? :smoke:

"Automat Kalashnikov 74" by Boker

post-1293-1217198989_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1217199015_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1217199052_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1217199027_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1217199076_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1217199093_thumb.jpg

Opens like greased lighting! (and yes, it does have a safety)

:super:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Gerber Gator that my grandpa gave me before he died. Great solid knife that seems to never lose its edge. I opened a can of beans with it one time while camping. Not even a mark on the blade, and I can open the knife with a flick of the wrist. Great all around knife!

67-1000.jpg

My EDC is a Benchmade 722. It was a little pricey, but I've had it for many years and it is still as solid as it was when it came out of the box.. I found a nice cocobolo Benchmark, and a couple of Benchmade Boguszewski spikes on ebay over the years...

My EDC is the one in the middle of the 3 knife pic.. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics..

Before I decided that I don't care if somebody gives me a hard time for flipping a knife around, I went between these two Benchmades:

bm-690.jpg

733-01, knife 255 of 500

79824283.olTluHHc.jpg

Now, I'm between 4 of my flippers for my EDC, but you can guess which one now gets the most use, due to size and weight. I'm always playing with one of these things. I haven't run into any trouble yet, except that I once mysteriously lost everything I had in my car when the cops searched it. :rolleyes: Assholes.

Benchmade 42 Anodized - You can't find these anywhere anymore, expect to pay $250-300

bm42a01.jpg

bm42a02.jpg

Spyderco Spyderfly - Probably go for like $120 if they're sold somewhere still

B01_L.jpg

Knifekits Typhoon - A knife kit, like $60

motyl.jpg

Benchmade 32 BK - $150, still in production

32bk.jpg

It depends on where I am going and what I am doing--but it is usually the Beretta knife which has a really neat opening mechanism. You slide that little round knob back and the blade pops out. Not an automatic like my Colonial M724...but it def won't get me in a jam with johnny law if I ever have to use it.

The Beretta

post-5354-1218249461.jpg

Depends on the mood....

post-5354-1218249471_thumb.jpg

I've never been into the knife game, but I figured I should have one :D . I did a little research and ended up with a Kershaw. It was only $30 out the door, at Dicks, because all they had left was the display knife, with no box. It's a nice little "assisted opener".

Now, to stop this habit of flicking it open continuously when I'm sitting around :bad_smile: .

20060823102102_Photo2.jpg

I have one of those too, i keep it in my messenger bag for work. I just have this thing about never being away from a knife, so i have them all over. to me it is the quintesential tool. I feel weird without one.

when we went to Vegas last month my wife made me not bring one along.....grrr....but last time we were there i had to go back ot the hotel room to drop it off to get into some attractions.....getting a bit carried away with the metal detectors these days.

• 2 weeks later...

BM550SBKHG.jpg

Benchmade Griptilian with Axis lock, combo blade, and spidey hole. The knife pictured has an oval hole, but mine has the Spiderco round hole. Should have bought the 3" model instead of the 3.45" due to Georgia's stupid knife carry laws, but I have a habit/policy of not getting arrested in the first place.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm new here, but def. not new to forums. I used to collect blades, but have sold near most of them off, everything has a purpose now, no more collecting for me. Thankfully the ones I did collect accrued value, mainly Benchmades made with the Tool Steel, M2. Few other mfgr's used this difficult to machine steel, it keeps an insanely razor sharp edge, for extended periods of time. Any steel made with D2 or S30V are my faves these days..

• 2 weeks later...

I'll chime in too, as a newbie here. At one time I had a lot of factory knives, now just a few customs.. a Mick Strider custom NM gring recurve SnG, A terrific Tom Mayo recurve TnT with 6K blade, A Rick Hinderer XM-18, A real nice Tom Krein pocket Bowie with 6K blade, and some factory stuff too. A couple of rare factory Emerson Commanders and a Microtech DE Ultratech. Plus some miscellaneous others..

They all get carry time, some in blue jeans and some are dress up knives. I need to find some new pics though. ;)

BTW Gary, what's your USN user name?

Joe (aka: Kingknives)

post-14287-1228522648_thumb.jpg

Edited by KingGuns
  • 4 weeks later...

Lately I have been carrying a Vtech Titanx... a VERY nice blade for under $40.00!!

They have dual thumb studs, hold a wicked edge, all black coating... locks up tighter than a nun, and has an extra deep pocket clip so it wont fall out accidentally...

And for the price... you arent afraid to use it for just about ANYTHING! :up:

:smoke:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

Just joined the forum a bit ago, and finally came across this thread. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Spyderco Endura with Emerson wave. I visited several gunshows, gun shops, and read countless "EDC" knife threads at different gun forums I visit before deciding on the Endura. I'd had one of the original Delicas and Enduras when I first saw them in the 80's (pretty sure it was 80s). This New Endura is rock solid, and the Emerson Wave feature is terrific. It comes out of the pocket open, blade down.

I'd considered the CRKT M16 or M21, but after handling them in person, realized they are not designed for tip-up carry if clipped inside a pocket.

Anyway, the Endura is a great solid knife. An Excellent choice for EDC, at least as far as pocket clip knives go. The clip can be mounted in four different locations. I carry mine weak-side, tip-up.

spy-endura_wave2.jpg

Edited by Wheel
  • 2 weeks later...