Best 1911 for your money?

I looking into getting a 1911 but so many options & not enough money to buy them all!!!! So i need a little direction. I want the best for my money not the highest priced 1911. I am open to all brands, sizes, but no more than $1000 please & I dont mind buying used either.

On the cheap end buy an Armscor Tactical or a Taurus. All the upgraded features you would normally add, but it comes already loaded on the pistol. Check out www.centerfiresystems.com for the Armscor and local gun dealers for the Taurus. If price is not a major issue then a Springfield fully loaded is going to run you around $700 or so. For a first 1911 you probably want to stay away from Colts(mostly for collectors-not usually great shooters IMHO) and Kimbers because from my experience you may get one and it is the best shooter you have ever had or you may get the one that is the biggest piece of crap you have ever seen. I have not seen them be consistent from pistol to pistol. Good luck.

The Taurus is alot of gun for the money, they've got a railed model now too. I like Para Ordnance. Both have lifetime warranties. Para has alot of options and are the most innovative 1911 producers IMO; LDA trigger, power extractor, high capacity, multiple calibers, etc. I do agree the $1000+ Kimbers and Wilsons have a tighter fit and more creative exclusive finishes.

Got me a High Standard 1911 A1 got it at knob creek when they are on sale for $250 last summer. Never had a problem with it so far its been 100% reliable with over a 1000 rounds through it and no cleaning and yes i said no cleaning :haha: . this is my baby out of all my pistols.

http://www.highstandard.com/m1911.html

post-4533-1207884030_thumb.jpg

post-4533-1207884049_thumb.jpg

Hello, This is a shameless plug for my other new venture, But some good quality pre-owned 1911's are being listed today for sale at auction next weekend. (April 19th). These include S&W, Springfield and a cute little Auto Ord PitBull.......Sale will be conducted thru Proxi-Bid for online buyers........The guns I looked at yesterday that were in boxes were as new in the box. Oh and I didn't start taking the pics untill about item number 120, so those are not my feet in the yellow tinted pics........Thanks VK........... :smoke: .....By the way, the auction is linked to nflas.com

Edited by VanKiller
Send a pm to Guido2 and ask for his opinion. He recently purchased your ideal 1911a1.

will do thanks

Hello, Norty

Well, 1911 is doing a great job of avoiding credit where credit is due.

I don't (didn't) know squat about 1911's except that I needed one, and I posed almost the same question to the list about a month or so ago.

All-around helpful good guy that he is, and mega knowledgeable to boot, 1911 steered me to a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. He even pointed me to the best price, which was well within your budget.

I've showed this pistol to three friends/co-workers and they all said about the exact same thing 1911 told me, namely, it was about $500 more gun than I paid for. One of them, a Process Engineer I work with, has Wilson Combat, RRA, etc. 1911's galore, but both he and his brother ordered themselves one of these. He says it will be his new carry gun.

Check this link:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...60&start=60

Man, I'm one proud new 1911 owner!

Thanks again, 1911. You da absolute man!

With utmost respect,

guido2 in Houston

What do you want it for? and if you don't mind buying used, find a used colt or springfield and get it reworked, don't waste your time on a kimber with cheap internals. I wouldn't suggest the "pocket" 1911 b/c of the wear and tear on the recoil springs (you change them more often) I'd suggest full size or "officers" size 1911 in either colt, springfield or find a used STI . if you plan on using hollow points i'd suggest making sure the ramp on the barrel is properly "polished" or it won't feed properly, most 1911 guns are made for ball ammo unless you venture into the higher dollar end with custom barrels ect.

BTW, the 3 best 1911's i shot were a custom springfield 1911 from bob cogan, a ranger STI and a Laes Baer. Also, i shot a remington rand 1911 from back in the day and it shot almost as smooth as those 3 above.....

Edited by Vultite

I've got a Springfield 1911 A1, the "loaded" model in Stainless And I have to say that I love it, ad it for 4 years or so now and it has never jammed once that I can remember. I just need to get me some tritium night sights for it. I think whichever company you go through that has been suggested here you will probably be happy, but my vote goes with Springfield, and like XdamageX said, a lifetime warrenty, not that you'll probably ever need it. Good choice in pistol though if you run out of ammo in the 1911 its also a great blunt force instrument. :chris:

I think the only 1911 I've ever heard anything bad about was those AMT Hardballers that were chrome plated. There was also something about the Smith and Wessons I recall hearing, but I'm sorta biased there because I'm not a S&W fan anyway... But you really can't go wrong with ANY (other) 1911.

Thanks for the input fellas...here is my three that like from pix but I want getem in my hand to see which feels the best for me....Para P14-45, Dan Wesson Commander, & Springfield Champion. Gun Show will be here May 17th & 18th. I will post some pix when I get it.

I have had quite a few 1911's over they years, but only one remains in the safe today.

It's a Schuetzen Pistol Works (Safari Arms Custom Shop) 6" long slide chambered in 40 Super.

It was built by ex-Detonics pistolsmith Richard Niemer who runs the custom shop there.

I fired a pair of back to back, five shot groups at 50 yards that both measured under 1.5". That's FIFTY yards not 25.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

That is pretty good shooting right there :) Most of my STI Open guns come in under 2", but not a lot of my Limited guns will :unsure:

I've got 15 or 20 1911-type guns in various configurations, from a WWII-issue Ithaca to full-house Open guns with all the silly go-fast stuff. I started shooting years ago with a P14 (back when Para didn't make entire guns) and still have that one (and two others; one more built from a frame and one "new" one traded into as a complete gun). A fair number of .45's come through the shop for service or upgrades, and while I haven't seen everything (by a long way), I've seen a lot of different brands.

Not counting the custom shops...I own Clark, Wilson, Triangle Shooting Sports, Bedell, Colt Custom Shop, and build my own...

The SiG GSR is pretty nice...Caspian slide and frame, OK parts, well fit, but they like them a bit more than I usually want to spend. The Taurus is a lot of gun for the money...the lockwork is fairly rudimentary, but servicable. I recommend those to my own customers as a good starting point to build up...$525 stainless gun, add $200 in good lockwork and they will usually hold reasonably close to my full-custom guns for half the money. STI entry-level single stacks...the Spartan comes with good sights and are usually well fit...the competition guys add a mag well and a little polishing here and there and they are just fine for Single Stack games. Para makes nice stuff, although I don't like plastic parts (easy to change). Kimber is OK (if overpriced) if you can find a Series I; the Series II safeties are annoying (although I enjoy removing them and using 'em for fishing weights ;) ). Springfield's stuff is OK on the high end...the low-end Mil-Specs need a lot of cleaning up but are usually solid barrel/slide/frames to start working with. However, by the time you get the slides machined for decent sights, flat top and set up the de rigor cocking serrations, cut frontstrap checkering and dropped in good lockwork you could have just got the Taurus and saved some money. The S&W 1911 are OK, but a little expensive.

Yeah, that was helpful :D Any of the companies that are not Jennings or Hi-Point make decent guns...they are not in business to build crap and lose money. It just depends on the buyer as to what price point you can live with for the features you want. Speed costs money; how fast do you want to spend :ph34r:

I usually advise my fellow GI's to buy the Taurus...good entry-level pistol with a lot of high-end features (like, well, Kimbers were when they first came out...before they got greedy). If you can catch the Smith's on sale (expecially with the $100 rebate they are running now), those are not bad guns either. I just sold two to my boss, who seems happy with them (at least he hasn't fired me yet). Widebodies...hard to beat a P14 for the money, although I shoot (and carry) STI for pretty much everything these days. I like the way STI widebodies shoot better than anything else I've ever tried, but they tend to hurt your wallet a bit.

Alex

Got 10mm & 45acp models from numerous builders. :rolleyes: DK edition from S&W out of box shoots everything put through it (even the old heavy laquer wolf) and all various mags on hand feed properly. :super: Others like certain mags or ammo. :angel: Have a Dan Wesson 10mm bobtail waiting for my pickup at dealer.

I have two Springfields, a MilSpec and a GI Champion. both are great for the money. The MilSpec was ~$500 and the GI Champion was around ~$400. Both are pure stock 1911s in basic design and you can add bells and whistles as you decide on them. I did my own smithing and cut both frames to add a beaver tail grip safety and commander style hammer (very easy, Smith & Alexander will even give you tips how to do it), added ambi safeties and replaced the sights with low profile tritium Novaks on the Champion. If you are interested in slowly building your gun up overtime and customizing it, this is the way to go.

If you want a ready to go gun with lots of features and no fuss then the Taurus PT 1911 for ~$500 will serve you well. I recently had the chance to borrow and shoot one, it worked quite well on a Bianchi plate rack at 35 feet. They seem like a good value. Combat accurate at the very least despite a slight rattle if you shake them. To me the rattle indicates it wont jam as easily as some tight toleranced guns. The nice part is the lifetime warranty all Taurus guns come with. If your gun develops a problem send it back for repair.

As with all things, your mileage may vary.

• 1 month later...

Well after going back & forth, table to table at the gun show...I picked up the Taurus PT1911. I was going to get the Dan Wesson but for that price I decided to go with the Taurus PT1911 & my 2nd Saiga 12.

I have had a lot of bad luck with some expensive 1911s. I have a Kimber that has never worked good, over $2,000 invested in it and I frankly dont have the nerve to sell it to someone for what I put into it. I have a Springfield 1911, made in Brazil, and it has feed issues and the factory mags never worked - I use Wilsons in it now. I had a Llama 1911, but we wont even go there with that one! I had a used Springfield that someone else put alot of money into but could not get the bugs out, so I purchased had problems but it seems to work OK now. My father owns 8 1911 style pistols, and his most reliable is a norinco`1911! A participate in some local shooting events and see a great deal of malfunctions with some expensive 1911s.

I was begining to think that you couldnt purchase a 1911 style pistol and get it 100% reliable without dumping tons of money into it - until I purchased one of the new model Colt Government 1991A1. Wow, this "cheap model" Colt realy runs reliable. Colt really improved their quality and fit & finish. This is a no-frills gun that runs like a champ. I bobbed the hammer, and im leaving it alone after that. 1500 rounds and no problems, and its a real Colt.

post-10946-1211350717_thumb.jpg

Well after going back & forth, table to table at the gun show...I picked up the Taurus PT1911. I was going to get the Dan Wesson but for that price I decided to go with the Taurus PT1911 & my 2nd Saiga 12.

I picked up a Taurus too, lol. The trigger on it is lighter then I like but otherwise it shoots well.

I have owned two Springfields, both GI, one standard and one hi cap 13 +1 and have never had a problem with either. it runs reliably, shoots accurately. The only complaint i have, with the hicap that i still own, has nothing to do with how well it shoots. If i grab the bottom of the gun and shake it a bit, i hear a distinct rattle. I could live with it, it just makes me wonder about the overall quality of the gun if the tolerance is so sloppy. not sure if that is typical of springfields or not.

One thing to look at when you purchase is the sights. I do have to say the usual GI sights leave a bit to be desired, esp in low light.

I have had a lot of bad luck with some expensive 1911s. I have a Kimber that has never worked good, over $2,000 invested in it and I frankly dont have the nerve to sell it to someone for what I put into it. I have a Springfield 1911, made in Brazil, and it has feed issues and the factory mags never worked - I use Wilsons in it now. I had a Llama 1911, but we wont even go there with that one! I had a used Springfield that someone else put alot of money into but could not get the bugs out, so I purchased had problems but it seems to work OK now. My father owns 8 1911 style pistols, and his most reliable is a norinco`1911! A participate in some local shooting events and see a great deal of malfunctions with some expensive 1911s.

I was begining to think that you couldnt purchase a 1911 style pistol and get it 100% reliable without dumping tons of money into it - until I purchased one of the new model Colt Government 1991A1. Wow, this "cheap model" Colt realy runs reliable. Colt really improved their quality and fit & finish. This is a no-frills gun that runs like a champ. I bobbed the hammer, and im leaving it alone after that. 1500 rounds and no problems, and its a real Colt.

post-10946-1211350717_thumb.jpg

sorry to hear that, kimber has been known to be a big POS if you can look passed that pretty face, i've shot Les Baer and STI 1911's and they are fantastic, no problems at ALL, also, notice on the more less expensive 1911's the feed ramp has a hump in it, that means some of your hollow points won't feed properly, easy fix for dremel or get a match barrel with the straight ramp to fix it ;)

I have owned two Springfields, both GI, one standard and one hi cap 13 +1 and have never had a problem with either. it runs reliably, shoots accurately. The only complaint i have, with the hicap that i still own, has nothing to do with how well it shoots. If i grab the bottom of the gun and shake it a bit, i hear a distinct rattle. I could live with it, it just makes me wonder about the overall quality of the gun if the tolerance is so sloppy. not sure if that is typical of springfields or not.

One thing to look at when you purchase is the sights. I do have to say the usual GI sights leave a bit to be desired, esp in low light.

A proper 1911 is supposed to rattle just a bit, if it does not it will likely have reliability issues in combat. Those high tolerance Kimbers always jam on me during any high intensity shooting activity. The Springfield is much more trustworthy.

I have a RIA and after polishing the ramp, she eats anything! Anyway, I'm now looking into getting a Para Ordinance P1445 super hawg. Has anyone had problems with Para's? I hear that their power extractor helps alot with feeding. After I get the 6 inch super hawg I plan on having it upgraded to chamber the .45 Super cartridge.

I have a RIA and after polishing the ramp, she eats anything! Anyway, I'm now looking into getting a Para Ordinance P1445 super hawg. Has anyone had problems with Para's? I hear that their power extractor helps alot with feeding. After I get the 6 inch super hawg I plan on having it upgraded to chamber the .45 Super cartridge.

i've heard nothing but good things about para, even their compact mini 1911's are great, BUT on the compacts, you have to replace the recoil springs quicker then the full size guns, but para lasts longer then the other compacts on the market ;)

I know that the 1911 is benchmark for the American pistol. Forgive me for asking a crazy question but is biggest selling point of a 1911 compared to another pistol of equal calibre or price? Simplicity or reliability?

I know that the 1911 is benchmark for the American pistol. Forgive me for asking a crazy question but is biggest selling point of a 1911 compared to another pistol of equal calibre or price? Simplicity or reliability?

Simplicity & Reiability in it's original form and the 100 year history of the design. The fact that it is available in 3", 4", 4.25", 5" & 6" doesn't hurt either. It is like Harley-Davidson in some sense because people are either dedicated to them or they aren't. It is also easily the most modifiable pistol on the market so you can make it what fits your wants and needs. They run in price from $300 to $3,000 or more depending on what you want. It's biggest selling point is that people gravitate to them and want them IMO. There are plenty of good choices for everyone in every flavor and caliber of pistol but if they aren't a 1911 they aren't. Guess that makes sense.