So i'm in the market for a good...no scratch that, GREAT tactical poly gun. 9mm is what i prefer. SO i have been directed to Springfield's XDM 9mm, it holds 19+1 and has a match barrel from the factory. But its made in Croatia? wtf? i thought all springfield's were american? so i did some research and found the history of the ordeal about the deal with Croatian makers blah blah blah. I have never handled a XD or XDM before, are they reliable? The other guns i'm looking at right now are the Glock 17L and I heard from a friend who knows, Smith and Wesson have a long slide M&P 9mm on the way....what do you guys think? i need input, i got money burning a hole in my pocket ;)

+1

Croatia (most of former Yugoslavia) is not the same as any other former East block nation insofar as arms production. They were (are) very innovative and progressive in their arms production. More like West Germany in the 1980's.

[bTW - any Springfield Armory 1911 Pistol made since 1988 was probably actually made (either in parts or as a whole firearm) in either Argentina, Brazil, the Philippines or Spain... FWIW]

Edited by macbeau

I picked up a 9mm XDm with the additional (2) magazines for free if bought by 1/15/09. Haven't shot it yet and may not. I just enjoy buying something that pisses off the libtards. I have heard nothing but good about them and I figure I can make a profit in the not too distant future if I don't want it.

I had a Glock and the XD-45. Needed the cash and sold the Glock. I will never sell my XD-45! It feels better in the hand then the Glock. Handles all ammo I have fired through it. Has features the Glock should have and its one of the best selling guns in the US. You can't go wrong with an XD.

I have the XD-40, and I really like it........... Grip angle is correct.........Shoots like a champ.

It was my gesture toward buying another gun just because....... Turned out to be a great pistol.........

As mentioned, a natural pointer........

Re-qualified for my CCW with it the first time I shot it.........Sweet.

I have the XD40 duty 4" and a Glock 22. I am a die hard Glock fan and when it came time to buy a subcompact for CC, I bought the XD 40 subcompact. If that tells you anything at all.

My BIL and I have logged about 1000 rounds through mine and about double that in his. The only complaint I have (there is no evidence of this creating a problem) is the rear rail guides are molded into the frame (poly). I would prefer them to be steel.

I would not hesitate a second to buy 10 more.

The only complaint I have (there is no evidence of this creating a problem) is the rear rail guides are molded into the frame (poly). I would prefer them to be steel.

There are no stresses on the rear rails.

What you should be crowing about is the removable front rails.

The XD does not have the important rails embedded in the frame like others do. If you look below the trigger guard and above the trigger in this picture, you'll see the removable steel assembly that holds the trigger works AND the front rails. Did I say "steel" and "removable" ? It is held in to the frame by 3 steel pins. Those Croats are some crafty bast***s. . .

xd40apart800x600re4.jpg

You know after I wrote that, I said well that was kind of stupid. The rear rails are more of a guide, the vertical pressure is on the front rails and the downward pressure is on the top of the frame at the rear. I need to think MORE and speak LESS.

My wife has thousands of rounds through her XD9. Its a first generation and she has been through weekend pistol courses with it. I have seen only a few stopages (all failure to extract), but nothing a quick tap-rack-roll didn't fix. She shoots it very well. She says Glocks start hurting her middle finger under the trigger guard after a couple hundred rounds.

I shoot Glocks better, and have a couple of them that have many thousands of rounds with not one stopage. You cant go wrong with Glock either.

For a high capacity hard-use pistol, they are both the best you can get. Go to a range that rents and try both of them - thats the only way to pick between the two.

Go to a range that rents and try both of them - thats the only way to pick between the two.

+1

To me the angles feel the same between the Glock and the XD. The Glock's grip feels a little larger and the recoil is a little more pronounced with the Glock.

Edited by hallboss
Go to a range that rents and try both of them - thats the only way to pick between the two.

+1

To me the angles feel the same between the Glock and the XD. The Glock's grip feels a little larger and the recoil is a little more pronounced with the Glock.

Wait until you try a Glock 21 and a .45 ACP XD Service or Tactical side by side.

BIG difference.

The frame is different between the G21 and G22, likewise for the XD tactical and XD duty? I am comparing my XD duty to my G22 and they SEEM rather close to me in regards to ergonomics.

Edited by hallboss
The frame is different between the G21 and G22, likewise for the XD tactical and XD duty? I am comparing my XD duty to my G22 and they SEEM rather close to me in regards to ergonomics.

The XDs all use the same frame size per caliber. The only difference between the Service and the Tactical is the slide length.

I have XDs in both .40 and .45 ACP and folks can't tell the difference in their handleabilty.

The G21 is in .45 ACP and the G22 is in .40 S&W - using Glocks' 'large frame' and 'small frame', respectively. The G21 grip is huge, compared to the XD45(acp) or G22.

Hell yes you can trust a XD!!! I got several. Take care of it and it wil take care of you. Went 3000 rounds (yes 3K rounds) in one weekend training session without a hiccup. Ergonomics are great and it points very naturally. Accuracy is better then any Block (read Glock) I ever ran into and unlike a Block (read Glock) you can shoot lead bullets without worries (Glock polygonal barrels are susceptible to major fouling with unjacketed rounds and can cause pressure problems and even failure if you use them). Even better, no slide bite with a XD, can't say the samefor Block (read Glock). Also Glock slides can be brittle due to tennifer treatement, can cause cracking. I have personally seen one fail on a G17L last year.

The M&P is a decent gun but the trigger is way heavy. There are instruction on the web on how to do a trigger job but I have not bothered yet. Ergonomics of the M&P are excellent as is the feel of the pistol. The barrel/slide fit can be a bit loose in tolerances though, lots of slop. My first M&P 9 developed peening problems in the slide/barrel lockup hood at around 15K rounds due to this, but S&W replaced it with new one without any trouble. Due to this slight looseness the accuracy is a bit less then XD but still quite capable.

I would go with the XD myself with a M&P as plan B if they were out. Hope this helps.

Edited by Saigaczech

I have the XD 40 subcompact and the Glock 9mm. Both are good guns in their own way but I consider the XD to be superior. It feels better and points better. I prefer to carry in my waistband with no holster and I considered it too risky with the Glock. No problem with the XD because of the grip safety.

Even if I hadn't bought and fallen in love with both the sub-compact XD 9mm and the tactical XD .45, I would never hesitate to trust anything made in Croatia. Something I saw on the street in Zagreb shortly after the split-up of Yugoslavia made a huge impression on me, and it seemed representative of everything else I saw there as well.

I'm walking on the sidewalk behind a punk with studded leather, piercings, and a colored foot-long Mohawk. A screaming poster-child for the counter-culture movement. Not exactly someone I'd expect to give a rip about upholding social order. He chucks a gum wrapper or something at a trash can as he walks by. Misses. Notices he missed. Stops in his tracks, turns around and goes back to stoop down, pick it up, and put in in the can. I looked around to see if maybe there was a cop in sight and he didn't want a fine. Nobody. Asked someone later if littering was likely to result in a big fine -- maybe he did it out of fear. No such thing. Those are just plain orderly people. I really liked the culture there. They're not obsessively orderly, like the Germans (who seem to patrol the forests in shifts, lest perhaps a tree drop a twig or leaf and subsequently destroy the tidy image they want it to present.). But those Croats don't seem to do anything sloppy or half-ass, at least not that I saw. "Made in Croatia" is not the same as "Made in China". You can trust a gun made in Croatia.

Well, after being a former G21C owner (i actually liked it) I have written off the glock almost altogether, I'm still considering the G36SF for carry, but back to the matter at hand....I guess i'm stuck between a XDM 9mm and a M&P pro 9mm. I'm gonna attempt to find a shop that has both on hand for me to test feel and work the gun. Probably be a few weeks if not longer before i make a purchase. Limited availability on both ends...i'll post up pics after i buy something though! thanks for the input guys.

I guess i'm stuck between a XDM 9mm and a M&P pro 9mm.

Nooooow you change your tune.

The XD(M) and the XD have some differences, you know.

The XD(M) is tailored and targeted at the competition crowd (IPDA, IPSC, 3-gun, etc). It has a longer grip and is a "full size pistol" in all ways.

The XD(M) in .40 S&W was recently released and it's not yet available in .45 ACP.

I know I've tried an XD and an M&P out, both in 9mm. I thought they were the same gun until I saw them next to each other. I think I liked both of them...

I as well would need to see them side by side to know for sure. I bought a cheapo Taurus 24/7 OSS longslide. Because I always wanted a massive double stock H&K MK-23 from videogames. But those are priced high enough for me to assume that they suck (I've learned that expensive things often suck) and $400 is less than $2000, so I got one when it was on sale for like $340 or something. What a win. The trigger is iffy, and my super competitive shooter friends say the trigger is bad. I'm wayyyy too bad of a shooter to notice though.

So i'm in the market for a good...no scratch that, GREAT tactical poly gun. 9mm is what i prefer. SO i have been directed to Springfield's XDM 9mm, it holds 19+1 and has a match barrel from the factory. But its made in Croatia? wtf? i thought all springfield's were american? so i did some research and found the history of the ordeal about the deal with Croatian makers blah blah blah. I have never handled a XD or XDM before, are they reliable? The other guns i'm looking at right now are the Glock 17L and I heard from a friend who knows, Smith and Wesson have a long slide M&P 9mm on the way....what do you guys think? i need input, i got money burning a hole in my pocket ;)

They use a roll pin where other maker's use a solid pin and even if their pistol was the best in the world Croatia is a fascist state that glorifies their Nazi past.

I have the XD 40 subcompact and the Glock 9mm. Both are good guns in their own way but I consider the XD to be superior. It feels better and points better. I prefer to carry in my waistband with no holster and I considered it too risky with the Glock. No problem with the XD because of the grip safety.

Thats a false sense of security my friend. ADs from carrying "Mexican" always happen when placing the gun in the waistband. Trigger gets caught on garment and gun gets pushed down, or from the finger being on the trigger. The grip safety WILL NOT prevent these discharges. I would only carry Mexican with an external safety pistol, decocker, or a strong double action. XDs are no safer than Glocks in every aspect.

They use a roll pin where other maker's use a solid pin and even if their pistol was the best in the world Croatia is a fascist state that glorifies their Nazi past.

Croatia??? You mean Serbia, right?