MD20 Loading

I got my MD20 drum yesterday and I went to load it to see how hard it was to do. I got it loaded but not without a lot of cursing and scraped up fingers. It seemed very stiff and did not load smoothly at all, every shell I had to fight to get in. I was loading 2 3/4 low brass Remington STS shells. Is there a technique or something one can do to make loading easier? Thanks.

-Scott

I just got mine in today. I used the thumb of my right hand to push down on the hull of the shell, then the thumb on my left hand to hold the brass while I used my right hand to load the next round.

I unloaded it a few times just by cycling it with my thumb so that I could get used to reloading it, and I was amazed at the consistent spring pressure through out the cycle. It didn't take me to long to load at all after a few tries, but I would love to get some advice from the more seasoned owners. :D

I just got mine in today. I used the thumb of my right hand to push down on the hull of the shell, then the thumb on my left hand to hold the brass while I used my right hand to load the next round.

I unloaded it a few times just by cycling it with my thumb so that I could get used to reloading it, and I was amazed at the consistent spring pressure through out the cycle. It didn't take me to long to load at all after a few tries, but I would love to get some advice from the more seasoned owners. :D

yet another untapped saiga-12 market. we need LULA loaders.

I did pretty much the same thing but about every other round if not almost all of them took massive amounts of pressure and fiddling around with to get them to go in. Way more than I would have thought and to the point that it's never going to get used cause it's more trouble than it's worth. It seems they missed out on putting a lever on the back of the drum to facilitate easy loading.

-Scott

Mine loads just fine.

That's great, I'm sure lots of them load great as per all the youtube videos I've seen and reading no complaints on the forum. Mine however seems to either have a problem or I'm missing something. Maybe you want to explain your loading technique as per my original post? Thanks.

-Scott

Keeping mags loaded does not wear out the spring. (Debunked Internet Gun Rumor #118)

It is the loading and unloading that stresses the springs. Mike Davidson has stated that you should be able to keep an MD20 loaded indefinitely.

Mine loads fine just like any thing else once you get it down it is as easy as pie....

I guess my original post was not clear. When loading most of the time I push the round down to load the next and it does not spin and load. I have to reach my finger to the second to last round and hold it there while I take the last round loaded out and then reach in and spin the magazine with my finger. Then I can load the next round. I don't have to do that for all the rounds but 50% isn't uncommon. That to me does not seem like something is right.

Edited by awfroadan

Hey man I received my two 2nd generation mags from Mike and I just loaded them with no problems what so ever. I'm a disabled vet that has little to no use of my right arm and I load just fine. Don't be petty with the drum and push those motherfucking rounds in that drum. They both load like my 1st generation mag. I'm not trying to belittle you or nothing but show that drum whose boss. I'm probably sure you won't break it. They are fucking tough as shit. Carry on.

Hey man I received my two 2nd generation mags from Mike and I just loaded them with no problems what so ever. I'm a disabled vet that has little to no use of my right arm and I load just fine. Don't be petty with the drum and push those motherfucking rounds in that drum. They both load like my 1st generation mag. I'm not trying to belittle you or nothing but show that drum whose boss. I'm probably sure you won't break it. They are fucking tough as shit. Carry on.

Trust me I am not gentle on things that piss me off, I wasn't afraid of breaking it cause in my mind it was broke already. Well after busting my fingers up and forcing it to load over 20 times last night it's finally starting to load easier. I don't have to force them in quite as much. I'd suggest to Mike at MD to maybe put in a warning that new mags might need to be loaded and unloaded a few times to smooth out the loading process. I can't be the only one that's been in this situation. I'm probably the only one that's posted on it though. Thanks to all those who actually answered my original question and not just posted to let me know theirs loaded fine.

I got my MD20 drum yesterday and I went to load it to see how hard it was to do. I got it loaded but not without a lot of cursing and scraped up fingers. It seemed very stiff and did not load smoothly at all, every shell I had to fight to get in. I was loading 2 3/4 low brass Remington STS shells. Is there a technique or something one can do to make loading easier? Thanks.

-Scott

I have the same basic problems, but I just beat my way through it. I use the opposite hands that you do, but it's the same basic thing.

The important thing is that I can load it - it's a bit of a fight, but it's doable.

I'm sure it will loosen up over time.

There would be a real problem if they didn't COME OUT without a fight. LOL

As long as they come out OK, there isn't a problem (IMO).

I'd check your rounds, I don't know about STS, as I have not used them. But Hulls come in different lengths, even if it says 2 3/4" it might be a little over. And if you reload, different presses will pop different lengths. I had this problem a few months ago, my dillon loads worked great, but me Lee jr were to long by a fraction and would not load or strip easily.

I'd check your rounds, I don't know about STS, as I have not used them. But Hulls come in different lengths, even if it says 2 3/4" it might be a little over. And if you reload, different presses will pop different lengths. I had this problem a few months ago, my dillon loads worked great, but me Lee jr were to long by a fraction and would not load or strip easily.

I'll measure them to double check but I'd assume that Remington STS's are going to be dead on 2 3/4. They are the more expensive shells for trap, skeet and sporting clays over the basic sporting loads they offer.

Ditto on that, Just got my MD-20 1/2 hours ago. Almost ran over my wife to get to the basement to load it up. Much to my surprise the 100 NOBELSPORT BUCKSHOT 2 3/4-27PEL 4BK-10 PACK I just got won't fit. To long, barely hitting the front ramp when trying to depress it for the next round. Dohh....... they are longer than most of my other and I see for the obvious reason is there is no roll fold over crimp. they merely have a piece of cardboard to hold the guts in. Oh well....they still load in my standard mags. I tried some of my others with now problems.

I just got my drum recently too. A few weeks ago anyway. I (like some of you) noticed that it was a bit of a challenge to load up. Not as bad as my old Tommy drum though. That thing almost always made me curse. It worked well though. Anyway, the technique I ended up using for the MD-20 was to use my left index or middle finger to press one round down, then just drop the next round in on top of it, remove my finger and slide the round back, then repeat.

Since I mainly fire lighter weight ammo, I've considered reducing the spring tension on the drum a half a turn or so. I even posted a question in the MD Arms section asking about it. Haven't heard much in the way of responses yet though. I figured a half a turn would probably not affect the drum's ability to keep up with the heavier stuff, but might help reduce the pressure on the bottom of the carrier the from the top round pressing on it, especially with a fully loaded drum.

Corbin

• 3 weeks later...