My father served on the USS Bonhomme Richard during Vietnam. He was a great man and even better father.He is survived by 2 sons,1 daughter and 5 grandchildren. I don't know anyone who visits these forums personally but I am asking that if you pray please pray for my mother Terrie as she has taken it very hard.

A little history on the ship he loved to talk about http://www.lhd6.navy.mil/site%20pages/History.aspx

Love you Dad,

Steven

All I can say is that I've been through it, myself.

I was shocked at the brutality and depth of the pain. It's been five years now and it never did go away, completely.

You have my sincerest sympathies.

There's something you should be aware of.

Sometimes, healthy spouses of the recently deceased pass away a very short time after the first to pass (especially if they've been married for most of their lives).

In a matter of a few days, the previously healthy spouse can die as well. They just give up.

It's important to let her know that the entire family needs her, loves her and depends on her.

She needs to WANT to live.

Smother her with the grandkids.

Steven - my condolences on your loss, and my thoughts are with your mom and you in these sad days.

I say this all too much, and said it many times.....our only guarantee in life is death, and without death, we would not have life. Some people cannot recover from losing thier life partner, and I really do hope that your mom can find a way.

With sincere regards -

Ben V.

A heartfelt prayer for you and your family....

I can tell from your words, that much of his goodness flows through your veins...

Use that kindness and goodness to take care of Mom...

I get the feeling he raised you strong enough to tackle that task....

we may be one dysfunctional family here on this board... but we do have each others backs for the most part...

I take it upon my self to stand in as the "Lay pastor" around here... I ain't no damn good at it... but, you can ask these jokers... My heart is in it 100% sincere... So if you ever need anything.... hit me up, Bro!

I'll bring what I got..to help with whatever you may need....

and, y'all ain't alone...

My father served on the USS Bonhomme Richard during Vietnam. He was a great man and even better father.He is survived by 2 sons,1 daughter and 5 grandchildren. I don't know anyone who visits these forums personally but I am asking that if you pray please pray for my mother Terrie as she has taken it very hard.

A little history on the ship he loved to talk about http://www.lhd6.navy.mil/site%20pages/History.aspx

Love you Dad,

Steven

sorry for your loss bro. you and your family are in my prayers.

Prayers sent for you and your Family. My Father was diagnosed with leukemia in January and we have all been on the roller coster ride ever since. Be strong for your Mom, and give her reason to Live. Make her the center of attention for awhile and help her get through it. I can attest to the strength of hope and prayer.

My condolences on the loss of your father. Sending prayers your way for you and your family.

It may sound trite but I truly believe that those who pass on go on to something better and that they are never really seperated from us. In the years since my father died I have often felt him there at my shoulder, often giving some very caustic advice. Maybe it's just the shadow of his memory in my mind but I feel him there none the less. Be strong for your mom and God Bless.

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

Grant no other sailor take

My shoes and socks before I wake.

Lord guard me in my slumber

And keep my hammock on its number.

May no clues nor lashings break

And let me down before I wake.

Keep me safely in thy sight

And grant no fire drill tonight.

And in the morning let me wake,

Breathing scents of sirloin steak.

God protect me in my dreams'

And makes this better than it seems.

Grant the time may swiftly fly

When myself shall rest on high.

In a snowy feather bed,

Where I long to rest my head.

Far away from all the scenes

And the smell of half-done beans.

Take me back into the land

Where they don't scrub down with sand.

Where no Demon Typhoon blows,

Where the women wash the clothes.

God thou knowest all my woes,

Feed me in my dying throes.

Take me back I'll promise then

Never to leave home again.

"Sailor's Prayer"

May he find smooth sailing and full wind to carry him to his last billet. Rest in peace you old salty dog.

M.S. Hoffman, MM1SSDV(N) USS Sculpin SSN-590, 1979-1983