Break Cleaner for Saiga Cleaning BAD IDEA!!!

So ummmmm being a evil ninja that i am :ph34r: and running out of gun scrubber i decided to have a look at what else I had laying around to clean the S12 with...

I used break cleaner to clean my Nagant 91/30 after shooting the corrosive ammo and it workerd out great since break cleaner is like 99 cents a can vs 12 bucks for gun scrubber :dollar: .

Well after spraying the hell out of the S12 with half a can of break cleaner all seemed well untill I touched the reciever. The freaken finish came off and stuck to my fingers like black nailpolish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cryss: I only had 25 rounds through this gun.

Interesting bit is the barrel finish did not come off but the reciever finish melted off.

1. So lesson learned is do not use break cleaner on the Saiga!

2. A Nagant is one tough freaken gun!

So I might send the gun to classic arms and have them chrome the whole dam thing now since it looks like it went through WWIII but more than likely I'll leave it alone and next time use some carb or choke cleaner... maybe some maf cleaner... or charcoal fluid... gasoline... any ideas people?

PS my camera is in taking a trip to abhazia so no pics but trust me it looks like melted paint.

So ummmmm being a evil ninja that i am :ph34r: and running out of gun scrubber i decided to have a look at what else I had laying around to clean the S12 with...

I used break cleaner to clean my Nagant 91/30 after shooting the corrosive ammo and it workerd out great since break cleaner is like 99 cents a can vs 12 bucks for gun scrubber :dollar: .

Well after spraying the hell out of the S12 with half a can of break cleaner all seemed well untill I touched the reciever. The freaken finish came off and stuck to my fingers like black nailpolish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cryss: I only had 25 rounds through this gun.

Interesting bit is the barrel finish did not come off but the reciever finish melted off.

1. So lesson learned is do not use break cleaner on the Saiga!

So I might send the gun to classic arms and have them chrome the whole dam thing now since it looks like it went through WWIII but more than likely I'll leave it alone and next time use some carb or choke cleaner... maybe some maf cleaner... or charcoal fluid... gasoline... any ideas people?

PS my camera is in taking a trip to abhazia so no pics but trust me it looks like melted paint.

Sorry to hear your going to need a refinish so soon, but I do apreciate you posting this information for everyone to see.

Your gun wasn't duracoted right? it was the factory finish?

Did the finish on the bolt carrier also do this? or did it hold up like the barrel?

Standard cleaning procedure at the shop I frequent: liberally spray all areas with WD40--it will not harm any finish to the metal or furniture; then blow off all the WD with air and wipe off residue. Lubricate the appropriate areas with CLP. Leave it at that. It has never failed.

Standard cleaning procedure at the shop I frequent: liberally spray all areas with WD40--it will not harm any finish to the metal or furniture; then blow off all the WD with air and wipe off residue. Lubricate the appropriate areas with CLP. Leave it at that. It has never failed.

I'm interested in if it stripped his bolt carrier becaws that would make a great first step to polishing it.

Wow you guys must be like me and not have a doctor that will give them Ambien lol

but yha to answer your questions.... it did not strip the bolt paint or the paint on the thread nut at the end of the barrel... just on the reciever...

at this point after giving it some though... I really dont care all that much... now i can throw this thing around and not really care... so I wont paint it back maybe cold blue it so it doesnt rust over but other than that who cares it still works like a S12 should.

I'll try to take some pictures with my phone but I'm not sure if they will turn out... but if there is demad to see this then let me know...

if the people speak I will listen... vote for Pedro!!!

Yeah,not happy with few thing on the saiga 12.One,problems with bulk ammo,fixed for 40 buck's.

Conversion nonsense(not gun or manufaturer problem)

Not happy with finish.By far the worst of any gun I own.

Over all I'm happy with the saiga 12 after the conversion and tappet.But would much rather have the vepr12.My vepr's are over 4 years old with thousands of rounds atleast and look brand new externally.The saiga,alittle over a month old and less than 300 rounds looks to have seen combat.

Yeah,not happy with few thing on the saiga 12.One,problems with bulk ammo,fixed for 40 buck's.

Conversion nonsense(not gun or manufaturer problem)

Not happy with finish.By far the worst of any gun I own.

Over all I'm happy with the saiga 12 after the conversion and tappet.But would much rather have the vepr12.My vepr's are over 4 years old with thousands of rounds atleast and look brand new externally.The saiga,alittle over a month old and less than 300 rounds looks to have seen combat.

if you need a solovet, Gunscrubber makes one that is plastic safe. It will not harm your coating at all, whether its factory or GunKote,Duracoate or Ceracote. Even the Krylon paints

Honestly, imhop WD40 or something like it should be more than enough

It's BRAKE cleaner not Break Cleaner.

There are several types of Brake Cleaners.

Water, Trichlor, Methanol, Ethanol, and Toluene.

The Toluene based stuff eats paint, that's why it's used as a paint remover!

Read the label.

• 1 month later...

I figured I'd ask here, since I can't find anything definitive with the search function yet....

What types of chemicals should you AVOID when you have a duracoated firearm? I assume things like WD-40 and silicone lubricants would probably be OK.

Thanks

Corbin

I figured I'd ask here, since I can't find anything definitive with the search function yet....

What types of chemicals should you AVOID when you have a duracoated firearm? I assume things like WD-40 and silicone lubricants would probably be OK.

Thanks

Corbin

My rule of thumb for ANYTHING with ANY finish on it:

Stripper/degreasers should be avoided.

That makes sense. I wouldn't knowingly put anything like stripper on my Duracoat. I think the problem will be with some ingredients in other stuff, like lubricants. I know some silicone lubes have petroleum distillates and other chemicals. As a scuba diver, I had to be careful what silicon spray I put on my rubber/silicone gear, as certain chemicals would mess with them.

Since my bolt carrier is just bead blasted and essentially bare, I need to put something on it to keep the rust away. I just don't want it to affect the duracoat on the receiver. I figure WD-40 would be alright, but I'm not sure how well that would stay on areas like the charging handle, since I'm always handling it there.

Thanks

Corbin

That makes sense. I wouldn't knowingly put anything like stripper on my Duracoat. I think the problem will be with some ingredients in other stuff, like lubricants. I know some silicone lubes have petroleum distillates and other chemicals. As a scuba diver, I had to be careful what silicon spray I put on my rubber/silicone gear, as certain chemicals would mess with them.

Since my bolt carrier is just bead blasted and essentially bare, I need to put something on it to keep the rust away. I just don't want it to affect the duracoat on the receiver. I figure WD-40 would be alright, but I'm not sure how well that would stay on areas like the charging handle, since I'm always handling it there.

WD-40 is only good for getting water & dirt off of stuff. It evaporates pretty quickly and will leave bare metal exposed for rust. For your blasted bolt carrier I'd suggest either putting some paint on it, (clear coat if you want to keep the look) or at least trying to put some wax on it. Clean it, wipe it dry, apply wax.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...ail.aspx?p=6705

Or some pep boys carnauba wax would work better/last longer than a film of WD-40.

• 1 year later...

A Nagant is a revolver. A 91/30 is a "Mosin Nagant" or simply "Mosin". :haha:

I use alot of Brake Cleaner, I love it for blasting clean various small parts and mechanisms.

I don't know, maybe its just me, but I've always tried to keep from slopping any solvents onto finished surfaces :rolleyes:

Not always easy, I know, have a blemish on my S12's receiver (Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic) from brake cleaner.

Be careful with that shit.

Bad for skin/eyes and various paints/etc.

WOW im really glad someone brought this thread back up cuz i picked up a can of brake cleaner last week to clean a stainless pistol im working on. Also had plans on using it to degrease the Saiga befor Alumahyde'n it. Thanks for the info, sorry to hear about your gun. but look on the bright side now you can put a nicer finish on it!!

Also someone said brake cleaner wash methanol or ethanol but i thought ALL brake cleaners were ethyl ether? or is that carb cleaner?

ETA what would be a good degreaser for prepping a Saiga for alumahyde or similar??

Edited by big-J