Looking for a new 9MM 15+ capacity

I like my XD in .40, and I haven't heard one bad thing about the XDM9. If I had to go with a high cap 9mm, I'd seriously consider the XDM.

Did you mean "designed capacity"?

Or perhaps just "If I had to go with a 9mm," ?

The ban's been over 5 years now, folks. Let's get all these meaningless "legislative terms" out of our lexicons, please.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like my XD in .40, and I haven't heard one bad thing about the XDM9. If I had to go with a high cap 9mm, I'd seriously consider the XDM.

The ban's been over 5 years now, folks. Let's get all these meaningless "legislative terms" out of our lexicons, please.

With 9mm pistols, I prefer to say "single stack" and "double stack". For a single stack gun, I like Sig 225 and the single stack Smiths that nobody can afford. For double stack... well I've already said it twice in this thread.

I would recommend the Fullsize HK USP 9mm. Var.1 has an external safety with decocker if you prefer that set-up (I do) & they have other set-ups.

+'s

Accurate

Simple

Reliable

It's a HK

-'s

Price of Mags

Grip Size (if you have small hands)

Edited by Norty

Hey guys,... thanks for all the input.

Full capacity is where it's at for me. 15+

I forgot to mention that part about intuitive shooting, which combines reliability and accurateness and I think ergonomics,... kind of like point and shoot, and of course you hit the target.

Not interested in sharp uncontroalable recoil!

There have been some really good recommendations so far, it has widened my outlook, thanks!

a lot have rails too, I am not sure what I would use these for,..Lights, Laser? it seems like all that crap gets in the way while trying to holster.

Slim, fast, and intuitive, that's my new take, intuitive,.. kinda like when you are a kid and you make a slingshot out of a Y branch and big rubberband and after a while you just know how to hit that pop can at 25 feet,.....

With 9mm pistols, I prefer to say "single stack" and "double stack". For a single stack gun, I like Sig 225 and the single stack Smiths that nobody can afford. For double stack... well I've already said it twice in this thread.

I guess 'single stack' and 'double stack' would be more politically correct here, but I stand by what I said. Words like 'full' or 'designed' capacity would certainly be more appropriate for weapons like the AK-47 and M-16 and other such battle rifles that were designed with 30-ish round mags and have been subsequently neutered. The XDM was fully intended to be a high-cap version of the XD, kind of like how double stack 1911's came after single stack ones. So 'designed capacity' here means single stack. Full-cap on a pistol, to me, means 12 rounds instead of reduced capacity 10 rounders. But perhaps it's just me. After all, I was just a lad during the Clinton era, so I grew up with these 'legislative' terms.

I guess 'single stack' and 'double stack' would be more politically correct here, but I stand by what I said. Words like 'full' or 'designed' capacity would certainly be more appropriate for weapons like the AK-47 and M-16 and other such battle rifles that were designed with 30-ish round mags and have been subsequently neutered. The XDM was fully intended to be a high-cap version of the XD, kind of like how double stack 1911's came after single stack ones. So 'designed capacity' here means single stack. Full-cap on a pistol, to me, means 12 rounds instead of reduced capacity 10 rounders. But perhaps it's just me. After all, I was just a lad during the Clinton era, so I grew up with these 'legislative' terms.

So there is only a 3 round difference between "low capacity" and "high capacity" (the XDM9 has 19+1 capacity)?

The XDM was designed to be a race gun. Nothing on it interchanges with the XD, so how can it be a "high cap version of the XD"?

"Full cap" on an XD9 is 16+1 rounds.

You need to do some research and expand your outlook. Thinking "low cap" and "high cap" in any manner is detrimental to our freedoms.

P.S. Grendel manufactured a 30 round .22 Magnum pistol back in the early 90s. Assigning arbitrary numbers as "low cap" or "high cap" just doesn't make sense.

They're just plain ol' magazines (or single stack / double stack).

I am looking into a 9mm.

I had a desert Baby eagle, but it only held 10 rounds (you could squeeze 12 or 13) it was fairly accurate, but I sold it.

Now looking for replacement seeing as how I have a carpload of 9mm ammo left over hoping you guys had some guidance or input.

I like the new springfields, but want to look around, also like taurus PT-99 and some Walthers I was looking at.

In order of importance to me:

1. Reliability

2. Accuracy

3. Price

4. Size

Well, I just bought a XDM and I love it for all those reasons. But, if you really want to hammer out some of that 9mm, get one of these:

MPA30

1. Reliability - have had only 2 jams out of 1000's of rounds

2. Accuracy - uh, with a laser - uhm sure! :)

3. Price - definitely! starting at $349

4. Size - of mag? 30 rounds!

DSC01487.jpg

and also the MINI version

mini9sst.jpg

I have 2 30 shot mags for my taurus, and it doesn't look like something out of a chuck norris movie. It has been extremely reliable as well, and it feels pretty balanced with them too. My uncle used to have a tec-9 with 50 shot mags that fit a similar aesthetic, and it was crap-tastic. even with a laser. You can get big magazines for anything popular, that doesn't really strike me as a selling point. If you are looking at mag capacity as a purchase factor what you really look at is the capacity of the magazine that fits fully inside the handle and is reliable.

Good luck finding 30 round pistol magazines that are as dependable as SMG magazines that weren't an aftermarket afterthought. There are some downsides to going with a semi auto machine pistol, but the magazines are by far an upside. They were designed for that purpose.

I've thought about getting one of the semi auto closed bolt macs.. they come threaded and all that. I have the ammo already. I'd get an Uzi, but they're illegal here. I have a decent silencer in 9mm... ah well, maybe a money tree will sprout local.

• 2 weeks later...

Ruger SR9 FTW! good price, functions great, FEELS great ( can reverse the backstrap to better fit your hand). I own two, both are great guns that never give me problems, trust my family to both of them as I always carry at least 1 of them. if you would have a problem Ruger is a stand up company and will fix it for you, though reports of problems have been greatly exaggerated

Everyone should own a Browning Hi-Power. Doesn't have to be an old one either; the current Mark III is a tough and accurate cookie. Trigger's a mite stiff, but removing the magazine safety helps that a lot. Love my Mark III S. Sort of rediscovering it after a 5 year pistol shooting hiatus. Whatta gun. But it's a little shy of your 15+ capacity needs.

Now that the teething problems are taken care of, the SR9 looks mighty good to me. I've tried to warm up to the Glock, but can't.

Bob

Everyone should own a Browning Hi-Power. Doesn't have to be an old one either; the current Mark III is a tough and accurate cookie. Trigger's a mite stiff, but removing the magazine safety helps that a lot. Love my Mark III S. Sort of rediscovering it after a 5 year pistol shooting hiatus. Whatta gun. But it's a little shy of your 15+ capacity needs.

Now that the teething problems are taken care of, the SR9 looks mighty good to me. I've tried to warm up to the Glock, but can't.

Bob

I like the Hi-Power, they are great shooters, but despise the magazine safety. I have a Canadian made Inglis with a shoulder stock.

I have tried to warm up to the glock too, I just can't do it,...

That SR9 is looking pretty good,.. as long as I have a job,...

Bob

Bob

There a bunch of reliable 15rd mags that sit flush for the BHP. I know there are 17 round and 20 round mags for the BHP as well, but have no tried them myself. I have a 13rd mag that holds 14 with no markings on it. It could be the stock unit for all I know. This beast is old and I bought it used.

How about the CZ75?

I havn't heard anything bad about them. People I know that have one say its accurate reliable and I think they come with one 10rd and one 15rd mag

All pistols listed are fine, but in these days the biggest issue is cost of mags! (All the Saiga .223 people will tell you that.)

GAS

You talk about the cost of the pistol, but ignoring the availability or cost of extra mags. (gun no good with out mags!).

This is the biggest advantage of the Glock mags everywhere.

This list:

1. Ruger SR 9

2. XDM

3. Browning High Power (looks too big though)

4. Taurus pt99 or other Taurus

5. Walther P99

ALL have a mag availability and mag cost issue (except HP!)

Last pistol I sold was the Ruger P97 .45 ACP. Mags if found ran $30 each. Now they were good mags but why the hell Ruger didn't design the .45 ACP pistol series around the GI .45 mag is beyond me! They would have had a real hit on their hands if they had!

I'm thirsty now.

Cheers!

This list:

1. Ruger SR 9

2. XDM

3. Browning High Power (looks too big though)

4. Taurus pt99 or other Taurus

5. Walther P99

1. I tried a Ruger SR9 when they first came out. Loved the snag free adjustable sights. Didn't care for the trigger. Ruger guns may not be the most polished but they are tough as nails.

2. XDM - I don't know. The regular XD feels great to me. Basically a Glock with a different grip angle. As long as the XDM runs as reliably as an XD/HS-2000, I'd say go for it.

3. Never handled a BHP but people love them from what I've heard. It is an all metal gun. Something to consider if you will be carrying all day.

4. Taurus - nope. They may have a lifetime warranty, but sooner or later you WILL be tapping into that warranty.

5. Walther P99: excellent from what I've heard, but I've never handled one.

You still ought to check out a Steyr M9 or M9-A1. Quality reliable factory mags are available straight from Steyr Arms for about $28. Browning High Power mags can also be easily modded to fit. Just cut a notch for the mag release and use BHP mags, if that's your thing.

So what are you going to get? Seems like the tread has gone as I expected with everyone eventually telling you to get every gun :)

I think in the end, you seem like a smart guy, you know the "good" brands, get whatever feels most comfortable in your hand.

I'll have to vote for the Browning Hi-Power as well. If you are fond of the 1911 then think of it as 2nd genseration 1911 in 9mm. Magazine capacities run from 13 to 30 rounds and average around $20 to $30. A Wolff spring kit installed and the magazine safety removed will result in a very crisp and light trigger pull. The SFS hammer models are perfect for concealed carry as the cocked hammer is held down by the safety and will snap back to the cocked position when the safety is dropped.

So far it's the ruger SR9 leading the pack!

I think i'll go to the range and try out a few of the top picks here and decide.

There is a range that will rent out different pistols to try all you do is but the ammo and pay for range time.

Thanks for all the input !!

Gas Giant.

XDM

I have the XDM.40 and it's the BEST pistol since my XD45 :)

Go to the range and rent an XD9. The XDM9 is basically that gun with a better barrel/trigger/adjustable grips/higher capacity.

I don't like 9mm AT ALL so i got the 40... besides, you can stick XDM9 mags in the XDM40 and just change barrels and shoot 9 out of the 40... you cant go from 9 to 40 though...

IMO get the 40 and get 9 mags and a 9 conversion barrel for ~$200 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gas,

Just remember, when you look at the various pistols, be sure to check into the price and availability of magazines. Not one of these pistols are any good without a mag!

Have fun shopping!

Lucky bastard!@#

I have a chrome Taurus PT-99 and found a 17 round mag that fits in fully and does not stick out and I also have two 15 round mags. The 17 will be a surprise to someone counting rounds..... Wish I could get high capacity mags for Taurus small frame 45 ACP.

Well, I pulled the proverbial trigger and got the Ruger SR9.

Haven't taken it out yet, but the price was right, NIB & came with a Viridian green laser and a black hawk holster!

Sweet!

with me losing my job and all this was right in my price range too.

Thanks for everyone's input and thoughts,

I really like most of the pistols people suggested, though some were out of my price range

Thanks!

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

post-9483-1248305668_thumb.jpg

you really need to look at the Stoeger cougar. it was designed and formally made by Beretta. it uses the same rotating barrel design as the px4 storm. this is easily my favorite handgun

heres a pretty good review:

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO...rgs=pagenum%3D1

If the Stoeger is based on the M92/M99, does it take the same magazines?